Glycine Protects From Iron Toxicity In The Liver

haidut

Forum Supporter
The optimal approach would be to keep iron stores on the low end of normal but for the people who already have confirmed iron overload, this study may offer some help. Glycine seems to protect from the toxicity of iron, which is mainly manifested in the liver (and sometimes brain).

Iron induces hepatocytes death via MAPK activation and mitochondria-dependent apoptotic pathway: beneficial role of glycine. - PubMed - NCBI

"...In the present study we investigated the beneficial role of glycine in iron (FeSO₄) induced oxidative damage in murine hepatocytes. Exposure of hepatocytes to 20 μM FeSO₄ for 3 hours enhanced reactive oxygen species (ROS) generation and induced alteration in biochemical parameters related to hepatic oxidative stress. Investigating cell signalling pathway, we observed that iron (FeSO₄) intoxication caused NF-κB activation as well as the phosphorylation of p38 and ERK MAPKs. Iron (FeSO₄) administration also disrupted Bcl-2/Bad protein balance, reduced mitochondrial membrane potential, released cytochrome c and induced the activation of caspases and cleavage of PARP protein. Flow cytometric analysis also confirmed that iron (FeSO₄) induced hepatocytes death is apoptotic in nature. Glycine (10 mM) supplementation, on the other hand, reduced all the iron (FeSO₄) induced apoptotic indices. Combining, results suggest that glycine could be a beneficial agent against iron mediated toxicity in hepatocytes."

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What would a human dosage look like approximately?

That in vitro dose (10mM) is very high and would require about 60g of glycine in a single dose. While such doses have been used in humans for treating schizophrenia I think the studies showing being highly protective and curative for a variety of liver conditions in human doses of 2g - 6g daily suggests that glycine is active against iron in much lower doses as well.

amethyst

I've learned I have genetically inherited high(er) ferritin levels. Would glycine help me? And, what supplements would you recommend for the liver?

Tenacity

You mention toxicity of iron manifests itself mainly in the liver and brain. Besides the major degenerative conditions, what symptoms might a person with iron toxicity experience?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
You mention toxicity of iron manifests itself mainly in the liver and brain. Besides the major degenerative conditions, what symptoms might a person with iron toxicity experience?

Nausea, dehydration, weakness, headaches, racing thoughts, etc. You can look it up by googling "symptoms of iron toxicity".

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals