Glycine Protects Liver Cells From Mercury Toxicity

zarrin77

Modulation of mercury-induced mitochondria-dependent apoptosis by glycine in hepatocytes.

Abstract
Mercury (Hg) is one of the universal environmental pollutants and is responsible for various organ pathophysiology including oxidative stress-induced hepatic disorders. In the present study, we aimed to explore the protective role of glycine in Hg-induced cytotoxicity and cell death in murine hepatocytes. Exposure of mercury (20 μM), in the form HgCl2 for 1 h, significantly enhanced the ALT and ALP leakage, increased reactive oxygen species production, reduced cell viability and distorted the antioxidant status of hepatocytes. Flow cytometric analyses shows that Hg-induced apoptotic death in hepatocytes. Mechanism of this pathophysiology involves reduced mitochondrial membrane potential, variations in Bcl-2/Bad proteins, activation of caspases and cleavage of PARP protein. In addition, Hg distinctly increased NF-κB phosphorylation in association with IKKα phosphorylation and IκBα degradation. Concurrent treatment with glycine (45 mM), however, reduced Hg-induced oxidative stress, attenuated the changes in NF-κB phosphorylation and protects hepatocytes from Hg-induced apoptotic death. Hg also distinctly increased the phosphorylation of p38, JNK and ERK mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPKs). Glycine treatment suppressed these apoptotic events, signifying its protective role in Hg-induced hepatocyte apoptosis as referred by reduction of p38, JNK and ERK MAPK signaling pathways. Results suggest that glycine can modulate Hg-induced oxidative stress and apoptosis in hepatocytes probably because of its antioxidant activity and functioning via mitochondria-dependent pathways and could be a beneficial agent in oxidative stress-mediated liver diseases.
PMID:

DOI:
10.1007/s00726-011-0869-3

magnesiumania

Thats great. Unfortunatly i dont tolerate much glycine and sometimes it make me feel pretty off. I struggle primarily with mold toxicity and ive found it disrupt the metabolism of many nutrients, including glycine to some degree.