PUFA Are Carcinogenic, Dietary Glycine Blocks Their Effect

haidut

Forum Supporter
I came upon this study by accident while I was researching glycine. While, it is always nice to see that even "mainstream" bastions of dietary PUFA are capable of publishing contrarian research the more important practical takeaway from the study is that while PUFA may be unavoidable, supplementing with glycine may fully block its carcinogenic effects. In addition, other fats such as MCT and olive oil were NOT carcinogenic. I think this is a major point in favor of Peat.
While the study was on corn oil, it was a PUFA metabolite called arachidonic acid that was responsible for the carcinogenicity. As such, the findings apply to all oils containing enough PUFA to give you a dose of 5g - 7g per serving. The dose of corn oil used in the study was not that high - a human equivalent dose would be around 20g - 25g. Peat has said many times that even much smaller doses of PUFA are carcinogenic. This study agrees and says that human equivalent doses of as low as 5g - 7g also increased inflammatory biomarkers and are considered carcinogenic. Another point for Peat.
The dose of glycine used to reverse the inflammatory effects of the high dose corn oil was high - around 50g - 60g for a human. But since most Peatarians probably can limit their PUFA consumption to the lower dose of 5g - 7g daily, extrapolating from the higher dose we would expect that a dose of 10g - 15g of glycine to be sufficient. Combined with vitamin E, even lower dose of glycine may suffice. Some studies found that a dose as low as 500mg daily had strong anti-inflammatory effect, so I am hoping we won't have to eat piles of glycine to block the effects of PUFA.
Finally, note how the study keeps calling corn oil a "tumor promoter". It makes it sound like this is common knowledge in scientific circles. I wonder why we have not heard these news...

http://carcin.oxfordjournals.org/conten ... /2095.long

"...The biochemical links between diet and the frequency of certain forms of cancer have been the subject of extensive epidemiological and fundamental research (1). For example, a strong correlation between certain types of lipid in the diet and cancer exists in laboratory animals (1–4) and humans (5). It was found that dietary fat promotes the growth of initiated cells, thus contributing to the higher risk of many human cancers (6). Furthermore, high-fat diets containing corn oil, soybean oil or safflower oil, which are 55–80% linoleic acid (C18:2; N-6), increase the rate of growth of established tumors (7). Importantly, it is known that olive oil and saturated fat are much weaker than corn oil in promotion models (7,8). The principal N-6 polyunsaturated fatty acid (N-6 PUFA) in the diet is linoleic acid, which is metabolized in many tissues and tumor cells to arachidonic acid, a precursor for eicosanoids. It has been suggested that eicosanoids are directly responsible for growth stimulation by N-6 PUFAs (6); however, promotion by cytokines is also possible."

"...To determine if a single dose of dietary oil could increase cell proliferation in liver, rats were gavaged with 2 ml/kg of corn oil, olive oil, or saturated fat [medium-chain triglycerides (MCT)]. Increases in hepatocyte DNA synthesis 24 h after treatment were identified from the incorporation of BrdU in nuclei of proliferating cells. Corn oil increased cell proliferation ~3.5-fold in hepatocytes (P < 0.05 compared with control; Table I). However, olive oil and MCT had no significant effect on hepatocyte proliferation."

"...It was shown that chemical peroxisome proliferators rapidly activate the transcription factor NF-κB in whole rat liver (19). Since NF-κB is involved in production of mitogenic TNFα and activation of cell proliferation (30), here the hypothesis that NF-κB is involved in the mechanism of increases in cell proliferation due to corn oil was tested. Specifically, rats were given different oils by gavage (2 ml/kg) and activity of NF-κB in liver was measured 2 h later. Interestingly, corn oil, but not olive oil or saturated fat (MCT), activated NF-κB ~3-fold (Figure 1)."

"...Activation of NF-κB by corn oil was both time and dose dependent (Figure 3). A rapid maximal 3-fold increase in NF-κB activity was observed between 2 and 8 h after treatment and was followed by a steady decline to near control levels by 36 h (Figure 3A). Similarly, activation of NF-κB was dependent on the amount of corn oil given. A maximal response was observed with 2 ml/kg; however, doses as small as 0.5 ml/kg activated NF-κB significantly (Figure 3B)."

"...Low levels of TNFα are mitogenic in liver (14). To determine whether TNFα mRNA levels are altered by corn oil, changes in TNFα mRNA transcripts were measured using RT–PCR. TNFα is expressed in minute amounts in livers of untreated animals (Figure 4A); however, corn oil increased TNFα mRNA significantly ~2-fold between 8 and 24 h after a single dose (P < 0.05, n = 4)."

"...To determine if fatty acids can activate Kupffer cells in vitro, cells were isolated from untreated rats, cultured and superoxide production was measured. Arachidonic acid, a major metabolite of linoleic acid, the most abundant fatty acid in corn oil, maximally increased superoxide production nearly 4-fold by isolated Kupffer cells (Figure 5) in a dose-dependent manner with a peak at 100 μM (data not shown). However, linoleic acid had no effect at the same concentration. Interestingly, oleic acid had no appreciable effect (Figure 5). Furthermore, when Kupffer cells were pretreated with diphenyleneiodonium (DPI; 10 μM), an NADPH oxidase inhibitor, or glycine (1 mM), an agent that inactivates Kupffer cells (31), activation of superoxide production by arachidonic acid was decreased by ~75% (data not shown)."

"...To determine if antioxidants (e.g. DPI) or agents that inactivate Kupffer cells (e.g. glycine) could prevent rapid activation of NF-κB caused by a single dose of corn oil in vivo, rats were pretreated with either DPI (1 mg/kg, s.c.) or dietary glycine (5% w/w) for 4 days. Control powdered diet or pretreatment with vehicle had no effect (data not shown). However, both DPI and dietary glycine significantly blunted the rapid activation of NF-κB caused by corn oil, by 75–80% (Figure 6). Furthermore, both DPI and glycine completely prevented the increase in hepatocyte proliferation caused by corn oil (Table 1)."

"...The transcription factor NF-κB is ubiquitous and is localized in the cytoplasm of most resting cells bound to inhibitory IκB component. Various inducers (e.g. endotoxin, some viruses, cytokines and reactive oxygen species) trigger the phosphorylation, ubiquitination and proteosomal degradation of IκB, which enables the active dimer of NF-κB to translocate to the nucleus and bind specific DNA sequences (for a review, see ref. 30)."

"...In this study, only the tumor promoter corn oil increased cell proliferation 24 h after treatment and activated nuclear transcription factor κB in rat liver as early as 2 h after a single dose (Table I; Figure 1). Furthermore, neither olive oil nor saturated fat (MCT), which do not increase cell proliferation in liver, had a significant effect under similar conditions. Similar to what was observed with the peroxisome proliferator WY-14,643 (19), the activation of NF-κB was time-dependent with a peak at 2–8 h, followed by a steady decline to basal levels over 36 h (Figure 3A). Importantly, a dose of corn oil of as little as 0.5 ml/kg, which is in the range of average human consumption, activated NF-κB significantly (Figure 3B). Since pretreatment with the NADPH oxidase inhibitor DPI blocked the effect of corn oil on both increases in cell proliferation (Table I) and activation of NF-κB (Figure 6), it is concluded that oxidants from Kupffer cell are involved in activation of NF-κB due to corn oil treatment."

"...The present findings showed that after treatment with corn oil in vivo, the active form of NF-κB was localized predominantly in Kupffer cells where it peaked 1 h after treatment, whereas hepatocytes exhibited activation only after 8 h (Figure 4B). Furthermore, arachidonic acid, a major metabolite of linoleic acid, activated superoxide production by Kupffer cells in vitro (Figure 5). In addition, inactivation of Kupffer cells in vivo via pretreatment with dietary glycine (17) prevented both increased cell proliferation and activation of NF-κB in rat liver caused by corn oil (Table I; Figure 6)".

"...Indeed, a single dose of corn oil (2 ml/kg) upregulated expression of TNFα in rat liver ~2-fold (Figure 4A). Taken together, these data strongly support the hypothesis that Kupffer cell NF-κB acts as a trigger of increased cell proliferation in rodent liver due to the tumor promoter corn oil."

"...Here, we hypothesize that polyunsaturated dietary lipids such as those in corn oil activate Kupffer cells. This triggers production of oxidants and activation of NF-κB leading to synthesis of mitogenic cytokines such as TNFα which increases cell proliferation in parenchymal cells, causing promotion of previously initiated cells leading to tumors. Fatty acids are known activators of protein kinase C (PKC), an enzyme associated with tumor promotion. The question then arises, how do fatty acids activate NF-κB? Indeed, hepatic PKC is activated by phorbol esters, which act not only on the skin where they have been studied extensively, but also in liver (42); therefore, it is possible that fatty acids act via PKC which may be involved in activation of NF-κB via two separate mechanisms. It is known that PKC can indirectly increase production of oxidants (e.g. superoxide anion), which are redox modulators of NF-κB activity, by phosphorylation of NADPH oxidase (reviewed in ref. 43). Alternatively, the ζ isoform of PKC can directly phosphorylate IκB (44)."

CoolTweetPete

Wow, a 36 hour effect on NF-kB. Awesome research, @haidut :hattip

Hugh Johnson

I recall reading that high omega-6 to omega-3 ratio caused inflammation, cancer and all the bad things, 12 years ago. Being a consentious person I of course started taking lots of fish oil. So from that perspective they have said that corn oil is a tumour promoter for a long time.

Also, 7g of corn oil is about 4g of PUFA, so it seems even a few grams cause cancer.

Nice find, thanks.

mujuro

I think a lot of us are in that boat, Hugh. I took incredible amounts of fish oil in the past. I have been having 5g L-glycine multiple times per day for a few weeks now, and this information is very pleasing to read. Full PUFA detox can't come soon enough.

honeybee

Uh... How do you manage such high doses of glycine? I can only take a little at night because it knocks me out.
I do want to take higher amounts but the relation effect is too pronounced.

YuraCZ

honeybee said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96302/ Uh... How do you manage such high doses of glycine? I can only take a little at night because it knocks me out.
I have no problem with 20g in one shot.. Maybe it gives me a little hypoglycemia...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
honeybee said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96302/ Uh... How do you manage such high doses of glycine? I can only take a little at night because it knocks me out.

You can combine with...caffeine:-D - for synergistic effect without the sleepiness. I have always wondered what makes caffeine so stimulating to the CNS. I must have read at least 100 studies that talked about how it increases pregnolone sulfate, antagonizes GABA, agonizes the beta adrenergic receptors, etc. None of these seemed to explain the peculiar effects of caffeine that could not be mitigated by things like clonidine, diazepam, etc. But recently, I found this study which I think explains it (mostly).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19564396

So, caffeine is similar to strichnine and as such it is an inhibitor of the glycine receptors (which are the major inhibitory system in the brain and spinal cord). So, taking both glycine and caffeine will probably negate the effects of each substance to a degree. I have tried taking 200mg caffeine with 2g glycine on an empty stomach and I get energy rush without the nervousness that usually accompanies caffeine if taken that way. The RedBull drink research showed that a caffeine:taurine ratio of at least 1:10 would blunt the caffeine effects on anxiety and sleep. RedBull has a ratio of 1:12. Taurine and glycine are very similar and probably act on the same "receptors". Beta alanine is another one that acts in a very similar way so you can try it as well.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I wanted to share another study for the people interested in supplementing with glycine to oppose PUFA effects. One of the authors of the above study also published this study that also looked at hepatic injury:
http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/286/2/1014.long

In that study, they used 2% dietary glycine instead of 5% since another study found 2% to be more beneficial to 5%. So, just as I anticipated, much lower doses of glycine than the ones used above may be beneficial in opposing the carcinogenicity of PUFA. Maybe 3g - 5g is all you need to block PUFA effects and this dose may be lower still if you also supplement with vitamin E.
"...The basic liquid diet was prepared according to Thompson and Reitz as described previously (Iimuro et al., 1996). It contained corn oil as fat (37% of total calories), protein (23%), carbohydrate (5%), minerals and vitamins, plus ethanol (35%). For the control diet, valine (2%, Sigma Chemical Co., St. Louis, MO) was added to the basic liquid diet to maintain nitrogen balance, and ethanol was replaced by dextrin-maltose. Valine was selected because it was previously shown that, unlike glycine, it did not prevent activation of Kupffer cells by endotoxin (Ikejima et al., 1997). Because it has been observed that 2% dietary glycine demonstrated better protective effects than 5% (Iimuro et al., 1996), the glycine containing diet was prepared by replacing valine with glycine (2%; Bio-Rad Laboratories, Hercules, CA)."

Hugh Johnson

NIce info about glycine. Personally if something makes me tired, but not lethargic, I assume it allows me to get much needed rest and healing. So I do it when I have free time and sleep away. The effect dissappears eventually and I feel better afterwards. I had that with methylene blue recently.

YuraCZ

Kasper said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96365/ Do you guys just use gelatin for glycine? Or the pure amino acid?
I make shake when I wake up collagen + whey protein + sugar. I also have collagen when I have meat in the meal... When I ride my bike I drink water with sea salt, magnesium chloride, glycine and sugar or dextrose and after ride or workout I have whey protein + collagen + glycine and sugar.. So 3x 15g of collagen and 0-10g of glycine a day..

schultz

haidut said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96246/
Finally, note how the study keeps calling corn oil a "tumor promoter". It makes it sound like this is common knowledge in scientific circles. I wonder why we have not heard these news...

Haha! Yah I've noticed this in studies and it's always pretty hilarious to read. Sometimes they talk in such a nonchalant matter-of-fact way about these things like it's common knowledge. It's like "polyunsaturated fat, a well known cause of heart disease, etc.", meanwhile it's the heart healthy fat according to the American Heart Association. So apparently nobody reads these science articles or else more people would have a clue.

honeybee

haidut said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96320/
honeybee said:

You can combine with...caffeine:-D - for synergistic effect without the sleepiness. I have always wondered what makes caffeine so stimulating to the CNS. I must have read at least 100 studies that talked about how it increases pregnolone sulfate, antagonizes GABA, agonizes the beta adrenergic receptors, etc. None of these seemed to explain the peculiar effects of caffeine that could not be mitigated by things like clonidine, diazepam, etc. But recently, I found this study which I think explains it (mostly).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19564396

So, caffeine is similar to strichnine and as such it is an inhibitor of the glycine receptors (which are the major inhibitory system in the brain and spinal cord). So, taking both glycine and caffeine will probably negate the effects of each substance to a degree. I have tried taking 200mg caffeine with 2g glycine on an empty stomach and I get energy rush without the nervousness that usually accompanies caffeine if taken that way. The RedBull drink research showed that a caffeine:taurine ratio of at least 1:10 would blunt the caffeine effects on anxiety and sleep. RedBull has a ratio of 1:12. Taurine and glycine are very similar and probably act on the same "receptors". Beta alanine is another one that acts in a very similar way so you can try it as well.
Thanks Haidut I did try a gram in my am coffee and didn't get the sedating effect.

jyb

schultz said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96410/
haidut said:

Haha! Yah I've noticed this in studies and it's always pretty hilarious to read. Sometimes they talk in such a nonchalant matter-of-fact way about these things like it's common knowledge. It's like "polyunsaturated fat, a well known cause of heart disease, etc.", meanwhile it's the heart healthy fat according to the American Heart Association. So apparently nobody reads these science articles or else more people would have a clue.

These associations do take note of the hazard of omega 6 oils hence their recommendation to get fat (if any) from things like fish instead of processed foods such as corn oil (and saturated fats are still considered evil by food authorities). Which is probably better than nothing since this should reduce the total amount of pufa. But I doubt this is what the average person follows because cooking and frying is typically done with vegetable oils. The negligible amount of saturated fats in cuts like steak makes the balance of a typical fries+steak meal in favour of pufa (from omega 6) and mono.

montmorency

schultz said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96410/
haidut said:

Must admit I always cringe when I hear people casually talking about "healthy fats", as though everyone had the same idea as to what constituted healthy fats.

montmorency

Kasper said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96365/ Do you guys just use gelatin for glycine? Or the pure amino acid?

My instinct would say that gelatin is a more natural way of taking in glycine. I don't have any science to back this up however. FWIW, I consume gelatin, but not pure glycine at the present time.
I have contemplated taking additional tyrosine, since it is a constituent of thyroid, but I'm not sure of the pros and cons of that.

jyb

montmorency said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96627/
Kasper said:

My instinct would say that gelatin is a more natural way of taking in glycine. I don't have any science to back this up however. FWIW, I consume gelatin, but not pure glycine at the present time.
I have contemplated taking additional tyrosine, since it is a constituent of thyroid, but I'm not sure of the pros and cons of that.

I feel like for many of us eating large amounts of these amino acids every day, it better be pure as a supplement. Yet it doesn't seem clear to me which is best in terms of purity, gelatin or L-glycine? Clearly even gelatin, despite being derived from whole animal products like skin, still requires lengthy processing. In contrast, L-glycine may seem more artificial as isolated, but maybe it requires less processing. In the meantime, I tolerate hydrolyzed gelatin okay even in large quantities, so I use it despite it's high price.

thegiantess

I just saw a commercial yesterday wherein a woman chooses corn oil over olive oil because it's healthier. Egads!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals