Regina

The low ferritin may have more to do with your high adrenaline/noradrenaline results you posted before. Has the doctor seen those results?
Yes. She is highly alarmed: saying hyperthyroid and occult blood in GI.
She does not know anything at all about blood catecholamines and won't be able to make any connection.

With rats with low ferritin, low TSH, high NE, lowish pulse (70), good lipid profile, are there any other tests the technician might do?Are there any further do's or don'ts?
This rat is not showing any outward signs of distress. It is playful, energetic with the group, non-aggressive, good appetite and good stools.

When I looked up "occult blood in GI", it seems far-fetched for this rat. Plus the further testing for it is quite invasive.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
She does not know anything at all about blood catecholamines and won't be able to make any connection.

With rats with low ferritin, low TSH, high NE, lowish pulse (70), good lipid profile, are there any other tests the technician might do?Are there any further do's or don'ts?
This rat is not showing any outward signs of distress. It is playful, energetic with the group, non-aggressive, good appetite and good stools.

When I looked up "occult blood in GI", it seems far-fetched for this rat. Plus the further testing for it is quite invasive.

A simple non-invasive stool test should be able to check for occult GI bleeding. Other than that, I would say taking it easy on the aspirin and succinic acid, and eating liver more often should help.

Tarmander

Are your nails starting to look flatter? When I was taking too many iron chelators, my nails started to lose their rounded quality and get flatter. Supposedly it can get quite extreme though it never did for me. Something like this is pretty extreme I think:

spoon.jpg

or
Spoon-shaped-nails.jpg

Regina

Are your nails starting to look flatter? When I was taking too many iron chelators, my nails started to lose their rounded quality and get flatter. Supposedly it can get quite extreme though it never did for me. Something like this is pretty extreme I think:

spoon.jpg

or
Spoon-shaped-nails.jpg
Thx Tarmander,
Nah, my nails look great. (just got done throwing the frisbee around for dog so they might be a little dirty).
I am just not sure what direction to be looking. I am happy to do the research and ask for the tests but I do not want to end up like an episode of House.
I feel great. I have a little bit of heartache. This is true. But indicators such as muscle recovery have never been better. I do "tilt" on the aikido mat kinda like a cheetah that has to end their chase. (wheezing doubled-over with racey heart). But I recover about 1 minute later. And am ready to go again. (???)

Attachments

• Regina_nails.jpeg
    Regina_nails.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 63

Tarmander

Thx Tarmander,
Nah, my nails look great. (just got done throwing the frisbee around for dog so they might be a little dirty).
I am just not sure what direction to be looking. I am happy to do the research and ask for the tests but I do not want to end up like an episode of House.
I feel great. I have a little bit of heartache. This is true. But indicators such as muscle recovery have never been better. I do "tilt" on the aikido mat kinda like a cheetah that has to end their chase. (wheezing doubled-over with racey heart). But I recover about 1 minute later. And am ready to go again. (???)
Interesting...well I mean...don't look for something wrong where there isn't I suppose. Hows the rest of your life? Relationships falling apart? getting enough sleep? Eating consistently everyday? honesty and integrity in interactions? etc etc?

Regina

A simple non-invasive stool test should be able to check for occult GI bleeding. Other than that, I would say taking it easy on the aspirin and succinic acid, and eating liver more often should help.
Just seeing this. Thx haidut.
Okay, I can ask for a stool test. TMI- they seem normal to me (brown with orange carrot bits :bucktooth:).
I'm doing a lot of searching for "dopamine-iron" as well as "low ferritin and norepinephrine." I just don't think I am finding anything useful. Or I am missing seeing the pattern.
I'm bummed about the TSH confusion because I was FINALLY getting my temps and pulse rate up w dabbling with thyroid. I can hardly believe my temp was 98.3 on the day of my test.
But now I am scared off taking thyroid. Heck, I'm afraid to go to aikido.
Do you think h pylori might be what's up?
The effect of Helicobacter pylori infection on iron stores and iron deficiency in urban Alaska Native adults. - PubMed - NCBI
Would it have impact on catecholamines?
Thanks very much

Dhair

Okay, I can ask for a stool test. TMI- they seem normal to me (brown with orange carrot bits :bucktooth:).
I'm doing a lot of searching for "dopamine-iron" as well as "low ferritin and norepinephrine." I just don't think I am finding anything useful. Or I am missing seeing the pattern.
I'm bummed about the TSH confusion because I was FINALLY getting my temps and pulse rate up w dabbling with thyroid. I can hardly believe my temp was 98.3 on the day of my test.
The effect of Helicobacter pylori infection on iron stores and iron deficiency in urban Alaska Native adults. - PubMed - NCBI
Thanks very much
Why are you fixated on your TSH?
It is very low, but why do you think that is indicative of a larger problem?
Ray Peat has said that keeping a TSH as close to 0 as possible would be good for fighting cancer and other diseases and I don't believe he has said anything about a low TSH being harmful in any way.
I think maybe you are focusing too much on the numbers here. You said yourself that you feel great. Sounds like the doctor got in your head, which is understandable because they tend to have an alarmist reaction when it comes to these things.

Regina

Interesting...well I mean...don't look for something wrong where there isn't I suppose. Hows the rest of your life? Relationships falling apart? getting enough sleep? Eating consistently everyday? honesty and integrity in interactions? etc etc?
Hi Tarmander, Thx for asking.
There is some heartache but also a whole lot to be thankful for.
Yes, I consistently eat everyday. I've changed diets ( on Peating for probably a year now). I don't eat grains and haven't for about 5 years. So, I may have overdone avoiding iron. It's just so easy to make a cheese omelette with cooked mushrooms for dinner. My mother has AD. That super sucks and it definitely has contributed to my fear of iron overload.
I always have honesty and integrity in interactions but with that does bring some heartache and necessarily make my social circle small. But I live in a very vibrant city and neighborhood. My aikido school is big with many nice and competent students--without having any guru you have to suck up to. Out of over 100 students enrolled, I have detected only 3 narcissist/psychopaths. Amazing ratio really, for a dojo.
Cheers, r

TeslaFan

If you feel good and don't have actual symptoms, then I think that is more important than numbers.
Perhaps your doctor is alarmed that you are doing well :): Such low iron gives very little chance for oxidative damage, so you could end up living longer into your retirement, and that would not be good for the economy :-P

Regina

Why are you fixated on your TSH?
It is very low, but why do you think that is indicative of a larger problem?
Ray Peat has said that keeping a TSH as close to 0 as possible would be good for fighting cancer and other diseases and I don't believe he has said anything about a low TSH being harmful in any way.
I think maybe you are focusing too much on the numbers here. You said yourself that you feel great. Sounds like the doctor got in your head, which is understandable because they tend to have an alarmist reaction when it comes to these things.
Hi Dhair. Yeah, I was thrilled to see the low TSH, low prolactin, good lipid panel, normal copper. If anything, I think the "hyperthyroid" is transient-if at all. I'm always looking for ways to increase my day time resting pulse and I run a bit cold. My Doctor did freak and blames the "internet" for putting crazy ideas in my head (sugar is good;sat fats are good,etc).
I'm just a little confused right now going forward. Thanks very much.

Tarmander

Hi Dhair. Yeah, I was thrilled to see the low TSH, low prolactin, good lipid panel, normal copper. If anything, I think the "hyperthyroid" is transient-if at all. I'm always looking for ways to increase my day time resting pulse and I run a bit cold. My Doctor did freak and blames the "internet" for putting crazy ideas in my head (sugar is good;sat fats are good,etc).
I'm just a little confused right now going forward. Thanks very much.
Doctors who complain about the internet...psh...tell him that when he is willing to spend a few hours with you instead of 7 minutes, he can complain about the internet. The internet gives and gives.

Regina

If you feel good and don't have actual symptoms, then I think that is more important than numbers.
Perhaps your doctor is alarmed that you are doing well :) Such low iron gives very little chance for oxidative damage, so you could end up living longer into your retirement, and that would not be good for the economy :p
Yeah, that was first reaction when I read her note and results. I kinda thought "screw you" and I took my dog for a 5 mile walk along the lake without a care in the world. But then I started to fester and worry and skipped aikido tonight--even though the friday teacher is a lovely lady. People behave themselves around her and I would have been totally safe on the mat.

Regina

Doctors who complain about the internet...psh...tell him that when he is willing to spend a few hours with you instead of 7 minutes, he can complain about the internet. The internet gives and gives.
true. She did not even listen to my heart or lungs--which are what's bothering me in aikido. She kinda came in swinging. Seemed mad at me. Also said "catecholamines don't mean anything." Then she left and I sat alone in the room for an hour waiting for the nurse to come and draw blood.
And when I opened the results, her note was kinda like ,"See? See? Look what you've done with your stupid diet! Boy, you are in big trouble now. How are we gonna sort this mess out now?"

Last edited:

Tarmander

true. She did not even listen to my heart or lungs--which are what's bothering me in aikido. She kinda came in swinging. Seemed mad at me. Also said "catecholamines don't mean anything." Then she left and I sat alone in the room for an hour waiting for the nurse to come and draw blood.
I think its because Doctors are not actually scientists. They are more like clergy in that they have a prescription for what ails you, but do not really want to debate the merit of God or faith with you. Confession really only needs to last 5-15 minutes max

Dhair

And when I opened the results, her note was kinda like ,"See? See? Look what you've done with your stupid diet! Boy, you are in big trouble now. How are we gonna sort this mess out now?"
I would not be returning to see that person.
It seems to be a recurring theme that doctors do not understand that it would behoove them to leave their attitude problem at the door when dealing with a patient. They are running a business, and that's not typically how you maintain a client base. But they seem to get away with it.
You have no serious symptoms and your labs are ideal. I wouldn't worry about a thing.

TeslaFan

I think its because Doctors are not actually scientists. They are more like clergy in that they have a prescription for what ails you, but do not really want to debate the merit of God or faith with you. Confession really only needs to last 5-15 minutes max

nicely put :clapping:

Regina

Thank you for your thoughts everyone. I still do have to figure out what exactly is happening in aikido when I wheeze and then double-over with racey heart.
I'm the only doing it. People keep asking me if I need an inhaler.
Whatever it is, it recovers fairly quickly from acute to what I have now walking around -- a bit of heartache.
Is it takotsubo cardiomyopathy? If something stressful happens --such as someone being hurtful -- then the ache modulates up. But maybe that's just something concurrent with some other dysregularity.
I would just hate to have to give it up. Everything comes out on the mat so that is a place where I can have real honesty and integrity in interactions.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks very much

I suspect the low iron is due to the aspirin and succinic acid, so let's see what happens in a few weeks or whenever you retest after stopping these in the meantime and maybe eating some liver. Of course, I would defer to the doctor on any diagnosis. The microscopic bleeding will not normally be visible to the naked eye. It is only gross bleeding in the upper GI that shows up as black stools and bleeding in the colon shows up as actual blood. That's why they have the lab test, as just looking at the stool would not be enough.

Regina

I suspect the low iron is due to the aspirin and succinic acid, so let's see what happens in a few weeks or whenever you retest after stopping these in the meantime and maybe eating some liver. Of course, I would defer to the doctor on any diagnosis. The microscopic bleeding will not normally be visible to the naked eye. It is only gross bleeding in the upper GI that shows up as black stools and bleeding in the colon shows up as actual blood. That's why they have the lab test, as just looking at the stool would not be enough.
:thumbsup:Thank you.
p.s. The effect of the human gut-signalling hormone, norepinephrine, on the growth of the gastric pathogen Helicobacter pylori. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:

Regina

Sunny all day! Yay. And bought gf liver at the farmer's market this morning.

Attachments

• Regina_6_3_17.jpeg
    Regina_6_3_17.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 136
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals