Post Your Urea Success Stories

tankasnowgod

Thanks. I look forward to seeing you find success in losing some of the weight you have by losing some water content. Do you know where the extra water is? Is it inside the cell, or is it in the interstitial spaces in the ECF? I don't know how urea does the trick though. Do you? I don't think we know the mechanism involved though. It's all empirical.

I think Urea might help remove both. Peat suggests that it normalizes the cell, and causes the release of excess water. The studies I linked above show that 30-90g of Urea can reduce ascites, so that would suggest removal of water from the interstitial compartment.

yerrag

I think Urea might help remove both. Peat suggests that it normalizes the cell, and causes the release of excess water. The studies I linked above show that 30-90g of Urea can reduce ascites, so that would suggest removal of water from the interstitial compartment.
It seems to me that there are some bodies of water in our body that are resistant to responding to osmolar gradients, to which ascites is but one instance of. Perhaps what urea does is to act as some sort of catalyst or enabler to restore the osmolar action so that water can diffuse from high to low gradients. This reminds me of some sections of the ocean where it meets a sea and you can see a delineation between the low gradient sea and the high gradient ocean. If that is happening in nature, why won't it happen internally to us as well?

If that were the case, then I can definitely find urea useful in my case of high blood pressure. I've been successful so far in killing bacteria in my blood vessels, as evidenced by less urination and elimination of froth (signifying less albumin being oxidized to counter oxidative stress from inflammation), but I'm not seeing lower blood pressure from increased blood volume (more albumin in blood attracts more salt and water, increasing blood volume by osmosis from the ecf into the blood ecf called plasma). Using urea may enable the osmolar action that has not been happening.

It may be that there are some protein particles blocking the osmolar flow that urea could eat away or dissolve. After all, that is what urea does to open wounds, where it eats up decaying flesh so that there is no food for bacteria, enabling wounds to heal quickly and with less scars.

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

Just got my USP Urea from Lab Alley. From opening it up, tasting a few crystals, and then mixing some in water, it seems more mild than the RPI stuff ever did. Maybe it's of better quality or purity?

It still has a bitter taste, and doesn't seem to be completely masked by Gatorade powder, but it does seem like it will be easier to get down than the RPI stuff, which is good, since I am planning to use it in the 60-90-120g range over the next week.

yerrag

Just got my USP Urea from Lab Alley. From opening it up, tasting a few crystals, and then mixing some in water, it seems more mild than the RPI stuff ever did. Maybe it's of better quality or purity?

It still has a bitter taste, and doesn't seem to be completely masked by Gatorade powder, but it does seem like it will be easier to get down than the RPI stuff, which is good, since I am planning to use it in the 60-90-120g range over the next week.
That's good news. As I'm gonna start using the urea from Lab Alley today. I'll do 3 x 10g daily first and work my way up, just to see the dosage where the effect starts to kick in.

yerrag

FYI Urea is hygroscopic so it may be a good idea to transfer a portion to a smaller container and then use the contents of the smaller container. It will prevent the contents of the larger container from soaking up moisture, especially since the urea isn't in prill form but in crystals.

tankasnowgod

Another interesting Urea study....... Supplemental Urea apparently helps with nitrogen balance on a low protein diet-

One thing I've noticed when taking higher doses of supplemental urea (over 30g), it does seem to lower overall hunger quite a bit. Maybe it is quite beneficial for Nitrogen balance.

Maybe it's in part because Urea has two amine groups, and most Amino Acids only have one (with Glutamine being an exception). Still, Urea is a smaller compound than glutamine, so urea might deliver the highest nitrogen percentage per gram.

tankasnowgod

Not sure how useful this study is, since they did it in patients with poor health along with mercurial diuretics. But, I love the following line-

Treatment with urea is far from being pleasant. This substance is unpalatable, but that drawback may be overcome by various devices. Grapefruit juice seems to be the best means of masking the unpleasant taste, though we have not tried giving it in beer or in raw tomato juice as advised by Miller and Feldman.

Soooooo...... who's up for trying Urea in beer? It was apparently suggested by either Miller and/or Feldman.

EDIT- annnnnd, just a few minutes more of searching on Google Scholar, and I find it-

As a general rule, the patients took the drug without remonstrance, although its taste is very unpleasant. We administered it as a 40 per cent2 aqueous solution, adding no sugar. In private practice we have added the juice of a pressed lemon, or else we have used as a vehicle from 100 to 200 cc. of beer or uncooked tomato juice. Recently we have tried using fresh pineapple juice or raspberry syrup, mixing from 50 to 90 cc. of syrup with an equal quantity of water as a diluent for each single dose of urea.

Side note.... "Remonstrance" seems like a perfect word to describe refusing to drink Urea, due to the "unpleasant" taste.

Last edited:

gabys225

I wonder if urea can be used in an enema. Especially considering how difficult it is to consume, I mean an enema only makes sense. Absorption through the hepatic portal vein may be especially beneficial.

If I was 10 years younger, beer would definitely be an option!

Sugartits

You may not need to use it as an enema (unless you really want to) because it seems to absorb topically quite well. Personally whenever I apply too much skin cream that contains urea I end up noticing an unpleasant urea smell in my urine afterwards. It is just a very concentrated urine odor, like that potent stale urine smell you might encounter in a grungy truck stop restroom. Maybe it sounds stupid to complain of your urine smelling too much like urine, but take my word for it, the difference is obvious. To me that is evidence that the urea is being absorbed by my skin and processed out through my kidneys.

tankasnowgod

I wonder if urea can be used in an enema. Especially considering how difficult it is to consume, I mean an enema only makes sense. Absorption through the hepatic portal vein may be especially beneficial.

If I was 10 years younger, beer would definitely be an option!

Honestly, it's just easier to drink it.

The taste is pretty bad overall, and much like BCAA, there isn't anything you can do to totally mask it. But I've found that 15g of Urea to 4oz of water works well, and I've been adding some Gatorade power to mask the flavor a bit.

It's really not to hard to get down 30-45g a day this way. The higher doses are a challenge. I found that after doing 90g for 3 days, I would fantasize about drinking anything constantly. Like, even when I was drinking something. I would be drinking orange juice and while also fantasizing about an Ice Tea or Sparkling Water or a Margarita or literally anything liquid.

yerrag

Honestly, it's just easier to drink it.

The taste is pretty bad overall, and much like BCAA, there isn't anything you can do to totally mask it. But I've found that 15g of Urea to 4oz of water works well, and I've been adding some Gatorade power to mask the flavor a bit.

It's really not to hard to get down 30-45g a day this way. The higher doses are a challenge. I found that after doing 90g for 3 days, I would fantasize about drinking anything constantly. Like, even when I was drinking something. I would be drinking orange juice and while also fantasizing about an Ice Tea or Sparkling Water or a Margarita or literally anything liquid.

I worked up to 3 x 30g of urea. It was not much effort getting used to the taste. Maybe it's because in the early posts you told of how terrible it tastes, that I was expecting worse. So thank you for setting my expectations to make it easier for me. I used to have to chase it down with juice, but now just do it with another half cup of water (atlhough the water to chase down the taste now tastes worse than what what it's chasing down).

Now that I know it's not a taste challenge for me, I've stopped taking it to save my urea for later use, when it would be more impactful as part of a stack I'm working on to lower my bp. Currently, the stack isn't complete and using the urea won't amount to much.

What I noticed though the next morning after the day I took 3 x 30 g urea was that the urine foam disappeared. That raised my hopes that the urea may be of help, but it was dashed when I didn't see the foam being eliminated in my urine repeated again. So, I can't be sure if the urea was simply causing the surface tension of the albumin in my urine to be weakened, so that there is no foaming, or that the urea was helping with reducing oxidative stress in my blood vessels, such that albumin was no longer being oxidized to counter the oxidative stress.

I think that urea would be useful in cleaning up debri left after other substances are done removing biofilms and killing pathogens (bacteria and fungi in the biofilm colony in the media and intima of my blood vessels). The debri would be decaying fragments from immune cells and even bits of tissues that would be food for pathogens to recolonize and restart another biofilm colony. But I haven't come up with a good combo that would knock out the biofilm.

Seems like my use of methylene blue is effective in increasing the phagocytic action of my neutrophils enough for it to be able to kill pathogens where it once couldn't as mb appears to be killing a bacteria that would remove the phagocytic effectivity of the neutrophils - by converting hydrogen peroxide to water and oxygen. But mb alone isn't enough, as the rest of the bacterial colony, composed of other bacteria - are still potent enough for my immune system to require the activation of a lot of neutrophils to counter them (as seen in my CBC) and to cause a lot of serum albumin to continue to be oxidized and excreted in urine. The foam in my urine is a visible sign of the antioxidant activity of albumin ongoing to suppress oxidative stress from spillover ROS from phagocytic action of the neutrophils.

One of the ways I'm thinking about is to boost the production of peroxynitrite ROS as some bacteria, such as p. gingivalis, have ways to neutralize its production to effectively render phagocytosis ineffeftive in killing it (gingivalis). But it's hard to find answers, as most literature see peroxynitrite as harmful, and want nothing to do with it.

tankasnowgod

I worked up to 3 x 30g of urea. It was not much effort getting used to the taste. Maybe it's because in the early posts you told of how terrible it tastes, that I was expecting worse. So thank you for setting my expectations to make it easier for me. I used to have to chase it down with juice, but now just do it with another half cup of water (atlhough the water to chase down the taste now tastes worse than what what it's chasing down).

Now that I know it's not a taste challenge for me, I've stopped taking it to save my urea for later use, when it would be more impactful as part of a stack I'm working on to lower my bp. Currently, the stack isn't complete and using the urea won't amount to much.

Yeah, I first tried it after those interviews Peat gave on Urea to the Herb doctors, and they both described it as "basically tasteless." I began to think maybe I had gotten the wrong thing, as I would NEVER describe it that way. It's like people saying vodka is tasteless. That's BS. It tastes like alcohol! It's more accurate to say vodka doesn't have any taste other than the alcohol, whereas things like gin and rum do have other tastes.

After reading through quite a few studies, it's very clear that the taste isn't all that pleasant, and can be an issue.

And that might be part of the reason why Urea isn't used that much as a supplement (though it is making a comeback). To see benefits, you either have to take really large doses, or do it over a longer period of time (several weeks/months), or use it with other things, or some combination.

If it did have a neutral taste, like say glutamine powder, I suspect it would have been in wide use for a long time.

Mossy

...like that potent stale urine smell you might encounter in a grungy truck stop restroom.
I can see the urea ad campaign now.

Actually, that is good to know, that it can affect body odor.

yerrag

Yeah, I first tried it after those interviews Peat gave on Urea to the Herb doctors, and they both described it as "basically tasteless." I began to think maybe I had gotten the wrong thing, as I would NEVER describe it that way. It's like people saying vodka is tasteless. That's BS. It tastes like alcohol! It's more accurate to say vodka doesn't have any taste other than the alcohol, whereas things like gin and rum do have other tastes.

After reading through quite a few studies, it's very clear that the taste isn't all that pleasant, and can be an issue.

And that might be part of the reason why Urea isn't used that much as a supplement (though it is making a comeback). To see benefits, you either have to take really large doses, or do it over a longer period of time (several weeks/months), or use it with other things, or some combination.

If it did have a neutral taste, like say glutamine powder, I suspect it would have been in wide use for a long time.
It may not be the best tasting thing, I would say, but it isn't the worst I've come across. I won't even call it foul-tasting. If say, I grew up drinking water that tastes like it, I would very easily think nothing of it. I used to go to my granny's on summers in the province, and the water there would taste worse. But that is hard water that has plenty of minerals. Back in the city, the water tastes better, but people are shorter.

But it's a relative thing. What I wouldn't take is copper acetate, unless I encapsulate it in a pill. Just thinking of drinking the bluish liquid makes me sick.

tankasnowgod

So recently, I started to get back into a bit of resistance training (just doing at home calisthenics for now).

After the first day, I had some serious DOMS going on, and it lasted for a few days. On the third day, I drank 45 g of Urea, and noticed that it reduced significantly (like, 80%) four hours after the first dose (still drank that much over the day).

So the next time I did those exercises, I made sure to drink 45g the day of. I had almost no muscle soreness the next day (barely there). I also drank 45g the day after.

I know Peat suggested one of the reasons fetuses heal so well without scarring is the high concentration of urea in the womb. I wonder if it's something about the extra Urea, or just the extra nitrogen, maybe making up for a protein shortfall (seems unlikely with my current diet). Regardless, Urea might be an overlooked "Bodybuilding" supplement. The taste might not be a big issue in that regard. I would roughly put it on par with BCAAs, and the fact that it dissolves better actually makes Urea an easier supp to take than BCAAs.

tankasnowgod

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I found a pretty Peaty recipe for taking urea that I wanted to share. You could use any USP Urea not just the one this guy is selling.

View: https://youtu.be/llt9E2IM180

That's all good. I think it might be a really good recipe. Sugar flavoring does help mask the taste, but there is still the "bitterness" that contrasts with it. The lemon might help to disguise that part.

Maybe it makes both urea and baking soda taste less nasty?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That's all good. I think it might be a really good recipe. Sugar flavoring does help mask the taste, but there is still the "bitterness" that contrasts with it. The lemon might help to disguise that part.

Maybe it makes both urea and baking soda taste less nasty?
I’ll try it both ways and report back when my urea arrives.

EchoTango

What are your thoughts on urea as an addition to a saline eye wash for treating dry eyes?
It seems like urea would make sense as an ingredient to sooth and heal eyes if you can use it internally and topically, but I don't see that there are any existing eye drop products that contain urea as an ingredient.
I was thinking of doing an experiment..

yerrag

What are your thoughts on urea as an addition to a saline eye wash for treating dry eyes?
It seems like urea would make sense as an ingredient to sooth and heal eyes if you can use it internally and topically, but I don't see that there are any existing eye drop products that contain urea as an ingredient.
I was thinking of doing an experiment..
My cat recently got into a cat fight and because he won't back off, he got plenty of wounds on his face and on one eye. I used about a 30% urea solution and applied it on the wounds with cotton, and stealth dropped on his eyes (he was evasive). I didn't add saline but over a few days he recovered. At his worst, his eyelids were inflamed and very watery, that a lot of fluid was draining also through his nose. It seemed like he had a cold, but knowing the cause I wasn't treating it as a cold. He recovered over a week with steady improvements.

I didn't try mixing it in a 0.9% saline isotonic solution of water but I suppose if I did my cat wouldn't be avoiding the urea drops as much.

I think your idea is good and worth a try. It wouldn't hurt as it healed my cat. You have to play around with the concentration to find one that suits you.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals