Post Your Urea Success Stories

Was listening to the two transcriptions from KMUD with Dr. Peat on urea and I was wondering who has had some success with urea, oral or topical.

theLaw

I've used a range of doses from a tsp a few times per day to the dose Ray suggests for serious illness on that show (120G per day).

My experience was that in higher doses I got headaches, but also lost belly fat literally overnight. My urine was very cloudy, which might be related to poor liver function at the time. Glycine has been useful for headaches (not related to blood sugar) for me.

I emailed Ray about it, and he suggested that 1 tsp several times a day should be enough for most people.

Also, member VisionofStrength posted about it over on rpf.org. Based on the lack of info here, it appears to be largely untested in the Peat community.

My guess would be that it's probably one of those "great-risk-great-reward" type of sups if you can handle it in larger doses.

OP
ecstatichamster
that's interesting indeed. I know someone here posted on using a solution of urea and niacinamide for a type of eczema. And someone else takes it with him (sugar and urea powder) for wounds that may occur during climbing, IIRC.

I'm using it on a topical irritation and wondering about why I shouldn't take it internally.

I love the comment you made about disappearing belly. This goes to the suspicion that I and many people have inflammation that causes us to have a bit of a belly...

Pointless

Strangely, I'm also looking into urea, today. My problem is that it is very costly for a USP urea. I'm not sure what purity is safe to take internally

yerrag

The urea I got was from an agricultural store, sold as 5mm sized round white pellets for a dollar a kg. I felt it was good enough to use topically for my cats given that urea is made from ammonia and carbon dioxide, and it's easy to produce industrial ammonia and carbon dioxide at relatively pure grades. Besides, using it topically applies only during acute cases, when a cat gets wounded from fights, especially during mating season. I've seen how beneficial it is as foreign objects such as claws can get embedded in a puncture wound. The wound can heal but the claw could still stay inside the skin and become a chronic source of infection, inflammation, and irritation.

I suspect it was what caused my favorite cat to have paresthesia on his back, which eventually led to a paralysis on one of his hind legs. When I discovered the wound on his back, I pulled out a foot long piece of solidified pus. The cat died after a week. Now I know that if I had known to use urea, it would been able to clean up the wound by eating up the decaying tissues, to pave the way for healing by reducing the infection which antibiotics were ineffective at.

So now I use it for wounds on my cats, followed up by a poultice of honey and garlic, which I've found to be as effective as secoseryl ointment.

tankasnowgod

I have used it topically, with great success. It really hydrates dry skin incredibly well. This is my experience using a pre-made lotion, and also dissolving some urea in a water spray.

I tried taking it orally once, and IT WAS VILE. I could not choke it down, I thought I might vomit. I do have USP stuff. I think I even mixed it in juice.

I brought a big container of it (1 kilogram), so still have plenty of it. Maybe I will try it again this weekend, really wanted to try taking it orally, but man, that was rough.

I did just look at it, it says it keeps till 10/21, and there isn't an overpowering ammonia smell like last time. Any tips on taking it orally are most welcome.

yerrag

I must have missed the part where taking it orally was discussed. Which article or I interview was this @ecstatichamster?

yerrag

It was discussed in this interview, don't know exactly at what mark-

There was a forum thread where some mentioned taking urea orally, too (same interview)- KMUD: 2-20-15 Uses Of Urea

Thanks @tankasnowgod!

I remember stepping on sea urchins once in my teens at a beach in Cebu on summer vacation at my grandma's. I was told to pee daily at the foot where the urchin spikes were embedded. The wound eventually healed as the spikes eventually came out. It must be the urea in urine that did the trick.

tankasnowgod

Okay, inspired by this thread (and the 950+ grams of Urea I still have), I decided to do a little experiment. I have a couple old scars, so I got a big bandage, put a little coconut oil on it, and put a decent amount of Urea crystals on it. I'll leave it for a while, and update on any improvements. The crystals seem to start to dissolve into the skin on contact. Not sure if the CO is really necessary, I just thought it would hold the crystals in place (and it did do a pretty good job).

Oh, also tatsted a few crystals. Actually, at least in a small dose, it was basically neutral to bitter. No exactly pleasant..... but pretty far from vile.

OP
ecstatichamster
Okay, inspired by this thread (and the 950+ grams of Urea I still have), I decided to do a little experiment. I have a couple old scars, so I got a big bandage, put a little coconut oil on it, and put a decent amount of Urea crystals on it. I'll leave it for a while, and update on any improvements. The crystals seem to start to dissolve into the skin on contact. Not sure if the CO is really necessary, I just thought it would hold the crystals in place (and it did do a pretty good job).

Oh, also tatsted a few crystals. Actually, at least in a small dose, it was basically neutral to bitter. No exactly pleasant..... but pretty far from vile.

Oh good, on both counts. Eager to hear your experiences with topical and if you decide, oral. I am going to try some orally. I have dusted an irritation on my skin with it, with good results.

shepherdgirl

I'm not sure if urea would convert to uric acid in the body or not. Just wanted to urge caution because increasing uric acid can up your risk of kidney stones and gout. I am currently taking inosine, which raises uric acid. For a while I took it with no issues, but then I had to lower my dose a few times after having slight feelings of pressure in the kidneys, a little blood in the urine, mild joint stiffness. I also drink a lot of water, and take a bit of baking soda dissolved in water because I read that it helps dissolve uric acid stones.

tankasnowgod

I've used a range of doses from a tsp a few times per day to the dose Ray suggests for serious illness on that show (120G per day).

My experience was that in higher doses I got headaches, but also lost belly fat literally overnight. My urine was very cloudy, which might be related to poor liver function at the time. Glycine has been useful for headaches (not related to blood sugar) for me.

This is amazing, but I can also see how this is possible, if it's a diuretic that normalizes cells. I did do another "taste test" this morning, and it's basically like you describe- neutral to slightly bitter. Really not sure what happened the first time, but it certainly put me off for quite a while. I'm ready to give it another shot orally, but I will be waiting until this weekend. I certainly don't need a diuretic "side effect" to happen while I'm at work.

tankasnowgod

I'm not sure if urea would convert to uric acid in the body or not. Just wanted to urge caution because increasing uric acid can up your risk of kidney stones and gout. I am currently taking inosine, which raises uric acid. For a while I took it with no issues, but then I had to lower my dose a few times after having slight feelings of pressure in the kidneys, a little blood in the urine, mild joint stiffness. I also drink a lot of water, and take a bit of baking soda dissolved in water because I read that it helps dissolve uric acid stones.

Vitamin C also helps to lower Uric Acid, and both substances seem to have some overlap in the body. I'm beginning to think that high uric acid is C sparing, especially when C intake is low-ish

OP
ecstatichamster
Dr. Peat says dosages as high as 120g per day are safe. There is no osmotic effect and the urea helps water in cells organize and structure better. Urea goes in and out of cells without osmotic effects.

yerrag

Vitamin C also helps to lower Uric Acid, and both substances seem to have some overlap in the body. I'm beginning to think that high uric acid is C sparing, especially when C intake is low-ish
This is true. When I've been on my vitamin dose, as determined by the C-Flush Test, I would test lower on uric acid. From a non-vitamin C week of 385, uric acid would go down to 325.