How do decrease Creatinine / Why is it high?

Josh

Hey all

Blood test for creatinine came back high recently at 121umol/L with normal range being 58 - 110umol/L

Blood tests done over the years:

(Other normal ranges for other tests: EGFR = above 60ml/min/1.73m2 AND Urea 2.5 - 7.8mmol/L)

12/10/2016 = Creatinine 103umol/L
13/01/2017 = Creatinine 89umol/L
30/03/2017 = Creatinine 92umol/L
09/09/2017 = Creatinine 89umol/L
09/01/2018 = Creatinine 87umol/L
23/11/2018 = Creatinine 90umol/L
01/04/2019 = Creatinine 77umol/L
28/08/2020 = Creatinine 107umol/L
01/09/2020 = Creatinine 99umol/L
14/06/2022 = Creatinine 121umol/L

23/11/2018 = EGFR 90ml/min/1.73m2
01/04/2019 = EGFR 90ml/min/1.73m2
28/08/2020 = EGFR 75.68ml/min/1.73m2
01/09/2020 = EGFR 83ml/min/1.73m2

28/08/2020 = Urea 6.7mmol/L

I do consume a lot of salt with every meal, I eat about 120-150g protein per day through beef/chicken/fish etc.. I weight train 6 days a week.

I’ve had this really bad fatigue that hits me at certain times, and the fatigue has been especially bad the past few months (Maybe thats because of the higher than ever Creatinine?)

In 12/10/2016 you can see my creatinine was pretty high back then, I was consuming hardly any dietary/supplemental salt back then)

…….....

What should I be looking at to reduce creatinine, I’m getting re tested In two weeks, is there any other blood tests I should request apart from EGFR and Urea?

Creatine is found most prevalently in muscle meat. So if you want to reduce then lower the red meat or cook it more thoroughly as creatine is denatured by cooking.

However, I am not sure why you would want to do this. Is there any mechanism that you know of by which high creatine can cause fatigue? It could just be that you are getting stronger and have more muscle and are eating much more meat as a weightlifter than the normal person. I would explore other potential options to reduce fatigue.

Edit: Sorry misread as creatine...

Last edited:

yerrag

there any other blood tests I should request apart from EGFR and Urea?
Creatinine clearance using 24hr urine.

This is a less convenient way to determine GFR based on actual creatinine excreted over 24 hours thru urine

not some fancy formula based solely on serum creatinine and age and ethnicity.

eGFR is another Talmudist designed test to confuse the public.

Callmestar

I almost always have high creatinine levels on my bloods. I have an ongoing issue with dehydration that appears to be the cause. Could you simply be a little dehydrated?
I can pretty much tell if i'm feeling very dehydrated on a particular day when I get bloods, that my creatinine will be high, and the result always confirms it.

JohnHafterson

Doing a spot test for creatinine seems murky due to snapshot in time - assuming all other kidney values more or less in line - @yerrag has a lot of good info on this

Higher muscles mass, weightlifting, muscle damage, higher protein, etc etc etc can cause elevation

6 days a week seems like a lot of weightlifting - could probably get similar effects cutting down to 2-3 times a week - but I'm lazy so I like to do the least amount of work possible

taurine, thiamine, better hydration can help keep creatinine down if concerned

Last edited:
OP
J

Josh

I think my EGFR was 63 on this recent blood test..

Thanks for all your replies, I didn't workout for a week before blood test, although I normally train 6 days a week before that. am eating a lot of muscle meat everyday, lots

dallascat

I think my EGFR was 63 on this recent blood test..

Thanks for all your replies, I didn't workout for a week before blood test, although I normally train 6 days a week before that. am eating a lot of muscle meat everyday, lots
Have you had a cystatin-c test done?

A

Adf

Hey all

Blood test for creatinine came back high recently at 121umol/L with normal range being 58 - 110umol/L

Blood tests done over the years:

(Other normal ranges for other tests: EGFR = above 60ml/min/1.73m2 AND Urea 2.5 - 7.8mmol/L)

12/10/2016 = Creatinine 103umol/L
13/01/2017 = Creatinine 89umol/L
30/03/2017 = Creatinine 92umol/L
09/09/2017 = Creatinine 89umol/L
09/01/2018 = Creatinine 87umol/L
23/11/2018 = Creatinine 90umol/L
01/04/2019 = Creatinine 77umol/L
28/08/2020 = Creatinine 107umol/L
01/09/2020 = Creatinine 99umol/L
14/06/2022 = Creatinine 121umol/L

23/11/2018 = EGFR 90ml/min/1.73m2
01/04/2019 = EGFR 90ml/min/1.73m2
28/08/2020 = EGFR 75.68ml/min/1.73m2
01/09/2020 = EGFR 83ml/min/1.73m2

28/08/2020 = Urea 6.7mmol/L

I do consume a lot of salt with every meal, I eat about 120-150g protein per day through beef/chicken/fish etc.. I weight train 6 days a week.

I’ve had this really bad fatigue that hits me at certain times, and the fatigue has been especially bad the past few months (Maybe thats because of the higher than ever Creatinine?)

In 12/10/2016 you can see my creatinine was pretty high back then, I was consuming hardly any dietary/supplemental salt back then)

…….....

What should I be looking at to reduce creatinine, I’m getting re tested In two weeks, is there any other blood tests I should request apart from EGFR and Urea?

For your creatinine levels you would probably aleviate your issue with lowering your sessions of weight training. You can get just as much out of weight training, doing 4 sessions per week. 6 sessions a week is probably also causing your fatigue. Try have a rest day every other day and perhaps you'll notice your energy levels normalize. I know this from experience, in my early twenties I trained 2-3hrs, twice a day, 5-6 days a week. Those sessions were aided with DS Craze which unbeknownst to me, had amphetamines in it. But after the Craze was banned, I kept up 1 session a day, 6 days a week and felt pretty terrible, no drive to achieve things outside the gym.

Also do not drink any caffeine after 12pm, caffeine after noon will disrupt your sleep. It might not hinder how easy it is for you to fall asleep, you may not feel affected, but it will hinder how deeply you sleep and therefore how well your body recovers.

Further on your fatigue... Do you pay much attention to your potassium intake? Perhaps you should swap out the sodium salt for potassium salt on your meals. Most people are no where near sodium deficient, as salt is added to nearly everything as a preservative. No most people are potassium deficient. Potassium is equally important to sodium, and they use the same channels in the body. Meaning too much sodium will screw the balance and you will be deprived/deficient in potassium. This will cause fatigue. You might think you are eating enough potassium in your meals, but if you're having too much salt, you can easily skew the balance and remain deficient of potassium.

For years I had been highly lethargic. I trained 5-6 days a week, but had no motivation to do or accomplish anything else. I thought my personality was just lazy, but I realize I wasn't always like that, in my younger years I had drive to accomplish things. Recently I started drinking K-water, which is taurine and potassium bi-carb in a bottle of water. I'm becoming more of a 'get it done' person now, I no longer see myself as lazy and no longer put things off to tomorrow, what I can do today. Lethargy is still there but it's getting better. I believe primarily it was because I, like most people, was deficient of potassium. I also train 4 days on average however if its a 5th day, it's a super light, high volume, heart and muscle pumping session aka active recovery.

dallascat

For your creatinine levels you would probably aleviate your issue with lowering your sessions of weight training. You can get just as much out of weight training, doing 4 sessions per week. 6 sessions a week is probably also causing your fatigue. Try have a rest day every other day and perhaps you'll notice your energy levels normalize. I know this from experience, in my early twenties I trained 2-3hrs, twice a day, 5-6 days a week. Those sessions were aided with DS Craze which unbeknownst to me, had amphetamines in it. But after the Craze was banned, I kept up 1 session a day, 6 days a week and felt pretty terrible, no drive to achieve things outside the gym.

Also do not drink any caffeine after 12pm, caffeine after noon will disrupt your sleep. It might not hinder how easy it is for you to fall asleep, you may not feel affected, but it will hinder how deeply you sleep and therefore how well your body recovers.

Further on your fatigue... Do you pay much attention to your potassium intake? Perhaps you should swap out the sodium salt for potassium salt on your meals. Most people are no where near sodium deficient, as salt is added to nearly everything as a preservative. No most people are potassium deficient. Potassium is equally important to sodium, and they use the same channels in the body. Meaning too much sodium will screw the balance and you will be deprived/deficient in potassium. This will cause fatigue. You might think you are eating enough potassium in your meals, but if you're having too much salt, you can easily skew the balance and remain deficient of potassium.

For years I had been highly lethargic. I trained 5-6 days a week, but had no motivation to do or accomplish anything else. I thought my personality was just lazy, but I realize I wasn't always like that, in my younger years I had drive to accomplish things. Recently I started drinking K-water, which is taurine and potassium bi-carb in a bottle of water. I'm becoming more of a 'get it done' person now, I no longer see myself as lazy and no longer put things off to tomorrow, what I can do today. Lethargy is still there but it's getting better. I believe primarily it was because I, like most people, was deficient of potassium. I also train 4 days on average however if its a 5th day, it's a super light, high volume, heart and muscle pumping session aka active recovery.
What’s the dosages for the K-water?

A

Adf

What’s the dosages for the K-water?

I'm not currently super specific with my dosages, I use about 2 teaspoons of Taurine and 1 teaspoon of Potassium Bicarb.

You could also, if you want to, premix the powders in a single container in a 3:1 ratio mix of Taurine/Bicarb, 3 teaspoons of that to be added to 1L water.

Or if you want to be specific..

7.5g taurine & 2.35g potassium bicarb added to 1L bottle of water.

If you get the dosages perfect, there apparently should be little flavour after the first sip, but I haven't been that lucky or precise so I also add something that's flavoured. Like a flavoured EAA product, because salty water isn't very pleasing to drink throughout the day.

Attachments

• mccarty2006.pdf
    99.2 KB · Views: 8

dallascat

I'm not currently super specific with my dosages, I use about 2 teaspoons of Taurine and 1 teaspoon of Potassium Bicarb.

You could also, if you want to, premix the powders in a single container in a 3:1 ratio mix of Taurine/Bicarb, 3 teaspoons of that to be added to 1L water.

Or if you want to be specific..

7.5g taurine & 2.35g potassium bicarb added to 1L bottle of water.

If you get the dosages perfect, there apparently should be little flavour after the first sip, but I haven't been that lucky or precise so I also add something that's flavoured. Like a flavoured EAA product, because salty water isn't very pleasing to drink throughout the day.
Thanks!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom