Notes Toward An "Optimal Peat Diet"

OP
N

narouz

Re: Notes Toward a Handle like a "Basic Peat Diet" (BPD)

nwo2012 said:
The one I use is a very cheap k-mart generic one. It basically pulverizes the potatoes, so removes all the pulp into one area and the 'juice' ends up in a pouring vessel. Well you let this 'juice' stand for a few minutes and it seperates, with the starch going to the bottom. You then use a ladle to remove the juice from the top, put it into a pot and add salt. Maybe add a little purified water. Boil it until it thickens up. I usually still add some more water and keep cooking to be sure as yes a little starch is left behind.
The pulp/starch gets added to the chicken's food.

Thanks "nwo2012"
Is it electric?
or manual?

nwo2012

narouz said:
nwo2012 said:
The one I use is a very cheap k-mart generic one. It basically pulverizes the potatoes, so removes all the pulp into one area and the 'juice' ends up in a pouring vessel. Well you let this 'juice' stand for a few minutes and it seperates, with the starch going to the bottom. You then use a ladle to remove the juice from the top, put it into a pot and add salt. Maybe add a little purified water. Boil it until it thickens up. I usually still add some more water and keep cooking to be sure as yes a little starch is left behind.
The pulp/starch gets added to the chicken's food.

Thanks "nwo2012"
Is it electric?
or manual?

It's electric. No probs, and Bon Apetit.

OP
N

narouz

Soup on the Brain

Thanks, "nwo2012".

Sorry to ask so many questions, but you've got me thinking about the RPPPS.
Doesn't Peat recommend the "soup" for people who have severe digestion problems
and for people who have trouble gaining weight?

Not that this would mean it should not be used in other situations,
but is that what you've read (by Peat) about it?

Peat says that,
"The protein of potatoes is extremely high quality, and the quantity, in terms of a percentage, is similar to that of milk."
So this RPPPS thing would seem to be a very promising alternative to milk and milk products as a great protein source.
And fairly inexpensive, I would think.

Now, back to your juicer.
You say it "pulverizes" the potatoes....
Could you tell me a little more about its mechanism?
I have a cheap juicer which I put aside after going the Mercola, raw green veggie juice route.
But I might get it out and give it a whirl with potatoes.
Mine has a sort of micro-grater thing
which quickly micro-grates stuff
and shunts aside fiber.
I never tried it on potatoes,
but...it seems like a potato doesn't have fiber like celery or kale or carrot does...?
Maybe potatoes have more fiber than I'm thinking....

And your directions for RPPPS...the steps you describe...
have you made those up on your own,
or does Peat describe how to make his "soup"?
I do think I've read Peat on the subject,
but it was pretty scant--not a lot of detail.

Generally, the RPPPS seems really cool though,
because as I've noted it is
-high-quality protein
-seemingly inexpensive
-and free from the drawbacks of starch (if your method does indeed remove and/or nullify that).

Also, it seems like it would taste good!
I'm a big fan of potato soup,
but...maybe RPPPS is a different thing.... :roll:

OP
N

narouz

Zooming in on Starches

I want to zoom in on Peat's thoughts on starches here.
Let's consider some quotations from Peat
and some interpretations of Peat from some good Peat interpreters:

The following is from Danny Roddy,
a great Peat interpreter,
in a blog article of his called: Carbon Dioxide the Real Reason Safe Starches Are a Joke:
http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2012...the-real-reason-safe-starches-are-a-joke.html

"When deciding whether to obtain carbohydrate from "safe starches," low-calorie vegetable matter, or fruit, consider that sugar (especially fructose) is supportive of CO2 production:
"It is concluded that both fructose and glucose-induced thermogenesis occurs exclusively in extrasplanchnic tissues. Compared with glucose, fructose ingestion is accompanied by a more marked rise in CO2 production, possibly reflecting an increased extrasplanchnic oxidation of lactate and an accumulation of heat in the body."
Moreover, when glucose oxidation is inhibited (diabetes, Randle cycle), fructose provides pyruvic acid for oxidative energy:
"One of the points at which fatty acids suppress the use of glucose is at the point at which it is converted into fructose, in the process of glycolysis. When fructose is available, it can by-pass this barrier to the use of glucose, and continue to provide pyruvic acid for continuing oxidative metabolism, and if the mitochondria themselves aren't providing sufficient energy, it can leave the cell as lactate, allowing continuing glycolytic energy production. In the brain, this can sustain life in an emergency." - Ray Peat
(my bolding)

My takeaway from this is
that all carbohydrates are not created equal in Peat's view.
If Roddy is accurately interpreting Peat
it seems clear that fruits (and even regular sugar within limits, and honey)
are superior to starches as sources of carbohydrates,
and also superior to the "Peat preferred" grains like masa harina and white rice.

I think we'd have to say superior to potatoes also--as a carbohydrate source.
(I do have to note here
that it is still a question mark for me about
where the "Ray Peat Potato Protein Soup"--as "nwo2012" calls it--
should rank as a carbohydrate source;
seems that it might rank pretty high
if the starch component is removed or nullified.
I'd note also that consideration of
potatoes as a high-quality protein source should be a separate matter.)

----

This is from an article on the Funtionalalps website:
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2011/09/30/light-is-right/
I think the guy who runs that site is Rob Turner.
I haven't read a whole lot from his website,
but he would seem to me to be a reliable and prolific Peat interpreter.
The following would seem to be Turner's take on Peat's view of diet and metabolism:

Here is a word from Ray Peat, PhD on what a metabolism-protective diet entails.
“This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption. In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements. It should be remembered that amino acids, especially in eggs, stimulate insulin secretion, and that this can cause hypoglycemia, which in turn causes cortisol secretion. Eating fruit (or other carbohydrate), coconut oil, and salt at the same meal will decrease this effect of the protein. Magnesium carbonate and epsom salts can also be useful and safe supplements, except when the synthetic material causes an allergic bowel reaction.” -Ray Peat, PhD
(my bolding)

What stands out to me here is Peat says, clearly,
that a metabolism-protective diet
"would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption,
with a
moderate or low starch consumption."

Well...I'd have to ask simply
--of anyone interested in doing a Peat diet--
Who would want to eat a non-metabolism-protective diet?

So, unless you raised you hand there,
seems like everybody else will want the Peat diet that
"emphasizes...moderate to low starch consumption."

And I guess I'd even have to up the ante a bit higher by assuming
that Peat would prefer "low" over "moderate"
in terms of supporting a healthy metabolism.

----

In another blog article, Peat vs Paleo
http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2011/4/4/peat-vs-paleo.html
Danny Roddy weighs the consumption of starches and sugars and quotes Peat:

As for sugar vs. starch:
"Starch and glucose efficiently stimulate insulin secretion, and that accelerates the disposition of glucose, activating its conversion to glycogen and fat, as well as its oxidation. Fructose inhibits the stimulation of insulin by glucose, so this means that eating ordinary sugar, sucrose (a disaccharide, consisting of glucose and fructose), in place of starch, will reduce the tendency to store fat."--Peat

Here too my question, to those interested in trying a Peat diet, would simply be:
Who would prefer a diet which tended to help you store fat?

And unless you raised your hand there
I think we should judge that
in a Peat-derived diet
fruits (and other sugars) should be preferred over starches as a carb source.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: Zooming in on Starches

narouz said:
And unless you raised your hand there
I think we should judge that
in a Peat-derived diet
fruits (and other sugars) should be preferred over starches as a carb source.

I wholeheartedly agree. :goodpost

nwo2012

Re: Soup on the Brain

narouz said:
Thanks, "nwo2012".

Yes but it can be beneficial to everybody because of the high quality of the protein and of course easy digestibility. And after years in the wilderness, be it mainstream eating, Mercola style, Paleo etc most people will have digestion issues. ;)

Yes.

Peat says that,
"The protein of potatoes is extremely high quality, and the quantity, in terms of a percentage, is similar to that of milk."
So this RPPPS thing would seem to be a very promising alternative to milk and milk products as a great protein source.

Yes its very cheap. I buy potatoes by the sack so get a very low price. Yes of course those that can't tolerate milk could use it to increase protein and then use extra eggshell calcium as a semi-substitute. Or even if good with milk, use as an alternative option. I also emailed him on the topic and he was quite supportive of my daily diet which includes regular RPPPS.

I have a cheap juicer which I put aside after going the Mercola, raw green veggie juice route.
and shunts aside fiber.
but...it seems like a potato doesn't have fiber like celery or kale or carrot does...?
Maybe potatoes have more fiber than I'm thinking...

I say pulverizes because they pretty much get chewed up very quickly. Sounds similar to the one you have.
Its very similar to this one
http://www.kmart.com/koolatron-juicin-j ... ckType=G13

Also went the Merocla route in a previous life. ;)

Pretty much the way he makes it. Again emailed him to be sure. The salt is my choice, I use all available methods
to get the high salt intake needed for my controlled hyperthyroidism. :D

-high-quality protein
-seemingly inexpensive
-and free from the drawbacks of starch (if your method does indeed remove and/or nullify that).

Tastes great!

nwo2012

Very good points on the starches. And it does appear sugars come first over them but should you have any gaps you can fill them with tortillas as you please. He specifically said to me, when questioned how often can one safely eat masa:

If the masa flour doesn't have additives, it's safe for regular use, with fat.

Of course one could interpret 'regular use' as meaning its a safe starch but not for every day.

Always worth pointing out his views on allergenic honey. You would need to experiment on yourself to know whether you have an allergenic honey or not and even then it could be hard as allergies are not always obvious or manifest right away.

OP
N

narouz

Re: Soup on the Brain

Thank you very much, "nwo2012"!
I would very much want to add a dab of butter to it...and some chives and garlic...
just a dab.... :P

nwo2012 said:
narouz said:
Thanks, "nwo2012".

Yes but it can be beneficial to everybody because of the high quality of the protein and of course easy digestibility. And after years in the wilderness, be it mainstream eating, Mercola style, Paleo etc most people will have digestion issues. ;)

Yes.

Peat says that,

Yes its very cheap. I buy potatoes by the sack so get a very low price. Yes of course those that can't tolerate milk could use it to increase protein and then use extra eggshell calcium as a semi-substitute. Or even if good with milk, use as an alternative option. I also emailed him on the topic and he was quite supportive of my daily diet which includes regular RPPPS.

and shunts aside fiber.
Maybe potatoes have more fiber than I'm thinking...

I say pulverizes because they pretty much get chewed up very quickly. Sounds similar to the one you have.
Its very similar to this one
http://www.kmart.com/koolatron-juicin-j ... ckType=G13

Also went the Merocla route in a previous life. ;)

Pretty much the way he makes it. Again emailed him to be sure. The salt is my choice, I use all available methods
to get the high salt intake needed for my controlled hyperthyroidism. :D

-high-quality protein
-seemingly inexpensive

Tastes great!

OP
N

narouz

nwo2012 said:
Very good points on the starches. And it does appear sugars come first over them but should you have any gaps you can fill them with tortillas as you please. He specifically said to me, when questioned how often can one safely eat masa:

Of course one could interpret 'regular use' as meaning its a safe starch but not for every day.

Always worth pointing out his views on allergenic honey. You would need to experiment on yourself to know whether you have an allergenic honey or not and even then it could be hard as allergies are not always obvious or manifest right away.

I'm wrestling with the whole Starch in PeatDom thing now.
Some quick thoughts on the masa harina:

1. "Safe for regular use"--we see locutions like this frequently from Peat;
I tend to read emphasis into the word "safe"
and to distinguish that descriptor from something like "ideal."

2. As you say, "nwo2012", you're hyperthyroid, so you're metabolism is overly cranked, yes?
Peat says different things to different people based on each individual's stated goals. Peat may've considered that recommending masa harina to a person with an overly active metabolism would work for that specific person.

3. Here's a mystery area for me with what are often thought of as something like
the "Peat-favored starches" like masa harina, rice, and oatmeal (and potatoes too,
though them I would put in a separate category...):
Even though Peat says things about them, sometimes, like they are "safe" or somesuch,
they are still, somehow, essentially in some way (I presume)...starches.
And his general statements about starches as a carbohydrate source are pretty clear and consistent.
I'm open-minded about how to interpret Peat's view of the healthfulness of starches,
and I would like a greater airing of different viewpoints.
Cliff McCrary has been very helpful in this area, and tends to interpret Peat as being much more loose
on starches than I tend to be.
Then again: Cliff is a young, astoundingly active guy who surfs all day and when he's not surfing he's skateboarding or lying under hot red lights all night!
He could probably live on Cream and Masa Harina and be slim!

nwo2012

narouz said:
nwo2012 said:

I'm wrestling with the whole Starch in PeatDom thing now.
Some quick thoughts on the masa harina:

1. "Safe for regular use"--we see locutions like this frequently from Peat;
I tend to read emphasis into the word "safe"
and to distinguish that descriptor from something like "ideal."

2. As you say, "nwo2012", you're hyperthyroid, so you're metabolism is overly cranked, yes?
Peat says different things to different people based on each individual's stated goals. Peat may've considered that recommending masa harina to a person with an overly active metabolism would work for that specific person.

3. Here's a mystery area for me with what are often thought of as something like
the "Peat-favored starches" like masa harina, rice, and oatmeal (and potatoes too,
though them I would put in a separate category...):
Even though Peat says things about them, sometimes, like they are "safe" or somesuch,
they are still, somehow, essentially in some way (I presume)...starches.
And his general statements about starches as a carbohydrate source are pretty clear and consistent.
I'm open-minded about how to interpret Peat's view of the healthfulness of starches,
and I would like a greater airing of different viewpoints.
Cliff McCrary has been very helpful in this area, and tends to interpret Peat as being much more loose
on starches than I tend to be.
Then again: Cliff is a young, astoundingly active guy who surfs all day and when he's not surfing he's skateboarding or lying under hot red lights all night!
He could probably live on Cream and Masa Harina and be slim!

The hyperthyroid statement is because that should be the goal for longevity, to be slightly hyperthyroid.

OP
N

narouz

The hyperthyroid statement is because that should be the goal for longevity, to be slightly hyperthyroid.

Oh. So "nwo2012,"
do you keep yourself a little bit hyperthyroid by using Cytomel or Cynoplus?

I am hypothyroid and take Armour.
Back when I was taking Synthroid it was a bit over-prescribed.
It made me feel pretty bad.
So I'm curious how it works...intentionally keeping oneself "over-corrected."
(I think this may be what Peat does, but I haven't really pinned that down...?)

nwo2012

narouz said:

Oh. So "nwo2012,"

Yes it is definitely what he does. I am working on it and making progress in that direction but I still think I must have excess PUFA storage as it is not happening as fast as I would like and probably also still have some fluoride excess (I know for 100% fact that fluoride pushed me into full on hypothyroidism)
But I am happy with the progress, weekly increases in BBT and pulse rate. But definitely the focus being on 25% hyperthyroid, anything over that will definitely make you feel like crap.

T4 on its own and in too large an amount(in one sitting) is very likely to make you 'feel like crap'.

Dr Lita Lee writes interesting articles on hypothyroidism (she is also a big follower, like Peat, of the work of Broda Barnes).

nwo2012

nwo2012 said:
narouz said:

Oh. So "nwo2012,"

Yes it is definitely what he does. I am working on it and making progress in that direction but I still think I must have excess PUFA storage as it is not happening as fast as I would like and probably also still have some fluoride excess (I know for 100% fact that fluoride pushed me into full on hypothyroidism)
But I am happy with the progress, weekly increases in BBT and pulse rate. But definitely the focus being on 25% hyperthyroid, anything over that will definitely make you feel like crap.

T4 on its own and in too large an amount(in one sitting) is very likely to make you 'feel like crap'.

Dr Lita Lee writes interesting articles on hypothyroidism (she is also a big follower, like Peat, of the work of Broda Barnes).

Me
So is the goal of the overall 'way of life' to keep ourselves in a slightly hyperthyroid state (around 25% according to Dr Lita Lee)? And is a pulse of 85 at rest the final goal (in the afternoon) or should we even aim a little higher. Or go purely by feel (clear thinking, relaxed state on a background of good pulse and temperature)?

RP
G.W. Crile, in the early 1930s, found that US people averaged about 20% lower oxygen consumption than in other populations they studied, both tropical and arctic. I'm sure the US metabolic rate is a lot lower than it was then. The pulse rate depends on size, but 85 to 90 is probably close to ideal. Good feeling and functioning are the basic indicators, usually they go with a brain temperature above 99 degrees F......................................I think of it as euthyroid

OP
N

narouz

Me
So is the goal of the overall 'way of life' to keep ourselves in a slightly hyperthyroid state (around 25% according to Dr Lita Lee)? And is a pulse of 85 at rest the final goal (in the afternoon) or should we even aim a little higher. Or go purely by feel (clear thinking, relaxed state on a background of good pulse and temperature)?

RP
G.W. Crile, in the early 1930s, found that US people averaged about 20% lower oxygen consumption than in other populations they studied, both tropical and arctic. I'm sure the US metabolic rate is a lot lower than it was then. The pulse rate depends on size, but 85 to 90 is probably close to ideal. Good feeling and functioning are the basic indicators, usually they go with a brain temperature above 99 degrees F......................................I think of it as euthyroid

Thanks nwo2012.
Great info!

OP
N

narouz

More Peat thoughts on starch,
especially starch vs sugars,
from Glycemia, Starch, and Sugar in Context by Dr. Peat:

“Starch and glucose efficiently stimulate insulin secretion, and that accelerates the disposition of glucose, activating its conversion to glycogen and fat, as well as its oxidation. Fructose inhibits the stimulation of insulin by glucose, so this means that eating ordinary sugar, sucrose (a disaccharide, consisting of glucose and fructose), in place of starch, will reduce the tendency to store fat. Eating “complex carbohydrates,” rather than sugars, is a reasonable way to promote obesity. Eating starch, by increasing insulin and lowering the blood sugar, stimulates the appetite, causing a person to eat more, so the effect on fat production becomes much larger than when equal amounts of sugar and starch are eaten. The obesity itself then becomes an additional physiological factor; the fat cells create something analogous to an inflammatory state. There isn’t anything wrong with a high carbohydrate diet, and even a high starch diet isn’t necessarily incompatible with good health, but when better foods are available they should be used instead of starches. For example, fruits have many advantages over grains, besides the difference between sugar and starch. Bread and pasta consumption are strongly associated with the occurrence of diabetes, fruit consumption has a strong inverse association.”

nwo2012

narouz said:
Me

RP

Thanks nwo2012.
Great info!

Most welcome.

nwo2012

narouz said:
More Peat thoughts on starch,
especially starch vs sugars,
from Glycemia, Starch, and Sugar in Context by Dr. Peat:

“Starch and glucose efficiently stimulate insulin secretion, and that accelerates the disposition of glucose, activating its conversion to glycogen and fat, as well as its oxidation. Fructose inhibits the stimulation of insulin by glucose, so this means that eating ordinary sugar, sucrose (a disaccharide, consisting of glucose and fructose), in place of starch, will reduce the tendency to store fat. Eating “complex carbohydrates,” rather than sugars, is a reasonable way to promote obesity. Eating starch, by increasing insulin and lowering the blood sugar, stimulates the appetite, causing a person to eat more, so the effect on fat production becomes much larger than when equal amounts of sugar and starch are eaten. The obesity itself then becomes an additional physiological factor; the fat cells create something analogous to an inflammatory state. There isn’t anything wrong with a high carbohydrate diet, and even a high starch diet isn’t necessarily incompatible with good health, but when better foods are available they should be used instead of starches. For example, fruits have many advantages over grains, besides the difference between sugar and starch. Bread and pasta consumption are strongly associated with the occurrence of diabetes, fruit consumption has a strong inverse association.”

Yet we have buffoons (best name for them) such as Mercola telling us that fructose is evil and blunts leptin thereby making us eat more and get fatter. :?:
But yes the focus here is that starches, in the correct amounts, can be compatible with good health. Of course we want to eat safe ones to minimize fiber (feed gut bacteria and increase endotoxin). So we stick to well cooked potatoes and masa.

OP
N

narouz

nwo2012 wrote:

But yes the focus here is that starches, in the correct amounts, can be compatible with good health. Of course we want to eat safe ones to minimize fiber (feed gut bacteria and increase endotoxin). So we stick to well cooked potatoes and masa.

I confess I have little chemistry training or aptitude, but...
what makes a starch a starch?
Is it only the fiber?
Is fiber synonymous with starch?

I don't think so, but I could easily be wrong.

Let me dramatize the issue by asking it this way nwo2012.
What if your dear friend starting eating this "Peat Diet":

1. Breakfast: big bowl of rice cooked with lye for over an hour, ala Peat. 16 oz milk. Gelatin. Couple shrimp.
2. Lunch: 3 big cheese-filled Masa Harina (w/ lime, correct Peat) tortillas. 8 oz milk. Gelatin. Couple oysters.
3. Supper: big bowl of potatoes cooked over 40 minutes with butter. 8 oz milk. Gelatin. A little liver.

He (your close friend) repeated this for his standard daily diet.
Any concerns?

nwo2012

narouz said:
nwo2012 wrote:

I confess I have little chemistry training or aptitude, but...
what makes a starch a starch?
Is it only the fiber?
Is fiber synonymous with starch?

I don't think so, but I could easily be wrong.

Let me dramatize the issue by asking it this way nwo2012.
What if your dear friend starting eating this "Peat Diet":

1. Breakfast: big bowl of rice cooked with lye for over an hour, ala Peat. 16 oz milk. Gelatin. Couple shrimp.
2. Lunch: 3 big cheese-filled Masa Harina (w/ lime, correct Peat) tortillas. 8 oz milk. Gelatin. Couple oysters.
3. Supper: big bowl of potatoes cooked over 40 minutes with butter. 8 oz milk. Gelatin. A little liver.

He (your close friend) repeated this for his standard daily diet.
Any concerns?

Not only the fiber of course, its also the sugars are chained together. And of course glucose based.

Concerns?

1. Missing out on the potassium and Vitamin C in OJ.
2. No sources of fructose, far too much glucose.
3. Just 3 meals means too large gaps in between. If the friend feels ok on this I suggest he has hypothyroidism.
4. Where is the coffee? Missing out on a lot of magnesium in additon to caffeine, theobromine and theophyline (great for keeping bile from getting stagnant and detoxing liver)

Thats at a glance. Maybe replace one source of starches with a large serving og OJ and add in a couple cups of coffee.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

:yeahthat :goodpost

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals