Notes Toward An "Optimal Peat Diet"

nwo2012

Re: Notes Toward a Handle like a "Basic Peat Diet" (BPD)

MartinBrown said:
I can't remember at this moment but what about salt in regards to the above?

I seem to remember reading experimenting with 1-3 (Sometimes more) teaspoons a day. Can their be timings for this? Does it have any mitigating/damage reduction qualities?

Martin

I know it lowers adrenalin so I tend to use it pre, peri and post workout for this reason. I guess it would be good to swallow a tsp or 2 whenever you are feeling stressed.

Kemby

no orange juice with meat

Do you mean don't consume orange juice with a meal that contains muscle meat? I have missed this while reading peats/Danny roddys articles. Why is this?

Thanks

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Martin, the vitamin c in the orange juice increases iron absorption.

nwo2012

Charlie said:
Martin, the vitamin c in the orange juice increases iron absorption.

Yep, drink coffee with red meats/liver/organs etc instead.

Kemby

How on earth did I manage to miss that haha. Cheers guys! Live and learn!

Ray Peats Comfort Approach. RPCA.

Success with Ray Peats methods require addressing the full range of stresses from diet, lifestyle, envirornmental etc., etc. etc.

OP
N

narouz

texas peatatarian said:
Ray Peats Comfort Approach. RPCA.

Success with Ray Peats methods require addressing the full range of stresses from diet, lifestyle, envirornmental etc., etc. etc.

Agree, but no reason to deny the existence of some kind of Ray Peat Diet. :P

Kris

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have been very much enjoying following it so far. The question I have in my mind, a very important I think for many, is how can Peat's diet or nutrition principles be incorporated into vegetarian diet? I do drink milk and eat some eggs, but I just find eating meat totally repulsive and could never do that. So the question would be how to compensate for the absence of meat and gelatin while otherwise following Peat's recommendations? Mind you, my diet has rather meager amount of protein, and yet as I am lifting weights I do experience increase of my muscle mass.

Kris

OP
N

narouz

Kris said:
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have been very much enjoying following it so far. The question I have in my mind, a very important I think for many, is how can Peat's diet or nutrition principles be incorporated into vegetarian diet? I do drink milk and eat some eggs, but I just find eating meat totally repulsive and could never do that. So the question would be how to compensate for the absence of meat and gelatin while otherwise following Peat's recommendations? Mind you, my diet has rather meager amount of protein, and yet as I am lifting weights I do experience increase of my muscle mass.Kris

Kris-

Funny, I was thinking about this the other day.
Actually, I wouldn't think it should be a problem.
When Peat makes summary kinds of statements,
where he tersely outlines the general kinds of foods
necessary for humans,
he usually doesn't even mention meats.

My take on Peat and meat
is that he doesn't see much need for it in terms of protein.
He likes other stuff (milk) as protein sources much better.
He does value animal foods like organs, brains, eyes, bones, cartilage, etc.
I know you're excited to be reassured of that! :lol:
There are important nutrients in those animal foods
and I think he sees animal (ruminants, anyway) muscle meats
as nutritious when eaten in a balanced way--not just muscle meats.

How are you about seafoods?
Can you eat shellfish?
Peat discusses the importance of copper and zinc and perhaps selenium,
and will recommend seafood as sources

And what about bone broth--I guess you wouldn't like that?
What about gelatin?

There are some nutrients which,
depending upon how well or badly one is doing,
Peat says are needed.
Vitamin A comes to mind.
Peat will suggest getting that from occasional liver consumption.

This is an interesting and useful question.
As I said, I just happened to be thinking recently
that a Peat diet--an optimal Peat diet--is probably very low in foods from animal bodies
(by that I mean to exclude foods which animals produce, like milk and eggs).
In short
I think you could put together an optimal Peat diet without flesh foods,
if you were willing to be resourceful and diligent
in filling in a few possible nutrient holes with supplements.
And I think you would probably need to drink a lot of milk
and eat quite a lot of eggs
to make sure you are getting enough high quality protein
and enough critical nutrients.

It would be nice to hear from some vegetarian Peatatarians on this.

G

gummybear

What narouz said. I just drink lots of milk and I'm doing just fine. 4 liters of milk is 140 protein, works for me. Add some cheese, get some nice eggs from a local source (which get nice food, no corn fed chickens), oj, gelatin, salt, coffee, and it's all good. I probably forgot something lol.

cliff

I rarely eat meat due to finances. Doing just fine with milk/eggs as my main animal protein, just make sure you get enough(80+g)

shaadoe

gummybear said:
What narouz said. I just drink lots of milk and I'm doing just fine. 4 liters of milk is 140 protein, works for me. Add some cheese, get some nice eggs from a local source (which get nice food, no corn fed chickens), oj, gelatin, salt, coffee, and it's all good. I probably forgot something lol.

I am curious what the farmer is feeding his chickens if not corn/soy. The only other option I know of is fish meal, which you can really taste in the yolk.

OP
N

narouz

shaadoe said:
gummybear said:

I am curious what the farmer is feeding his chickens if not corn/soy. The only other option I know of is fish meal, which you can really taste in the yolk.

shaadoe--

Yes, what you say is generally pretty true I think.
But in Virginia there is a farm called Polyface (check it out online)
which sells eggs as one of its many products.
The chickens are in this mobile coop,
which is constantly moved about,
and the chickens just forage, peck around the pasture for their food.
The only danger could be that they tend to follow the cows
which have been fed some kind of feed which I bet has bad stuff--corn, soy, etc,
and then the cows poop that out,
and they say the chickens may, over time, eat some of that--or its remains.

So, it's tough,
but it is possible to find some high quality eggs out there.

Kris

Thank you guys for you feedback, it is appreciated! I would not want to eat liver I am afraid. I always hated this stuff, in fact already as a child. At this moment I live in India, so I don't think I could get gelatin; the idea of eating this kind of stuff is not very appealing to me either. Here in India they use buffalo milk, which is much more fat and more nutritious than cow milk. It has more protein too. The choice of fruits and vegetables is rather poor here. But I managed to get lots of organic coconut oil, which I love.
As to selenium, I eat a bit of Brazilian nuts which are full of it. I know the Peat does not recommend nuts, but I believe that in moderation they are ok. It is counter intuitive that things that naturally taste so good to us are all bad.

Regarding milk, I know that Peat does not like the idea of eating yogurt. What about yogurt cheese? I love that stuff. You just put the fresh yogurt in a cloth and hang if for a day and you get the most delicious cheese. Is that lactic acid so bad? I wonder how would draining yogurt impact its chemical structure.

Have you heard of Don Matesh donmatesz.blogspot.com/ ? He recently wrote 'farewell to Paleo' . After many years he stopped eating meat and in his view one needs very little protein to do just fine. The problem is that he eats lots of starch, which is probably not so good. He think that our bodies are well used to all that toxin in grains and nuts. In fact, that some of these 'toxins' are actually good for us.

Regarding fruits, I love to eat fruits, but the choice here is very limited. What is Peat's view on Papayas. They do look somewhat starchy. Papaya, apples and oranges is more or less what we've got here. I add also dry fruits.

I am a bit confused about vegetables. Are they really not good? I am used to eating salads and cooking vegetables as the main meal for supper. Well, my salad is mostly cucumber and tomatoes (which are technically fruits), some onion and garlic. What is Peat's view of these vegies?

thanks

Kris

pete

You can reduce muscle meats and eat more gelatin and cheese with rennet, not cultures or enzymes (sheep > cow).

nwo2012

Kris said:
Thank you guys for you feedback, it is appreciated! I would not want to eat liver I am afraid. I always hated this stuff, in fact already as a child. At this moment I live in India, so I don't think I could get gelatin; the idea of eating this kind of stuff is not very appealing to me either. Here in India they use buffalo milk, which is much more fat and more nutritious than cow milk. It has more protein too. The choice of fruits and vegetables is rather poor here. But I managed to get lots of organic coconut oil, which I love.
As to selenium, I eat a bit of Brazilian nuts which are full of it. I know the Peat does not recommend nuts, but I believe that in moderation they are ok. It is counter intuitive that things that naturally taste so good to us are all bad.

Regarding milk, I know that Peat does not like the idea of eating yogurt. What about yogurt cheese? I love that stuff. You just put the fresh yogurt in a cloth and hang if for a day and you get the most delicious cheese. Is that lactic acid so bad? I wonder how would draining yogurt impact its chemical structure.

Have you heard of Don Matesh donmatesz.blogspot.com/ ? He recently wrote 'farewell to Paleo' . After many years he stopped eating meat and in his view one needs very little protein to do just fine. The problem is that he eats lots of starch, which is probably not so good. He think that our bodies are well used to all that toxin in grains and nuts. In fact, that some of these 'toxins' are actually good for us.

Regarding fruits, I love to eat fruits, but the choice here is very limited. What is Peat's view on Papayas. They do look somewhat starchy. Papaya, apples and oranges is more or less what we've got here. I add also dry fruits.

I am a bit confused about vegetables. Are they really not good? I am used to eating salads and cooking vegetables as the main meal for supper. Well, my salad is mostly cucumber and tomatoes (which are technically fruits), some onion and garlic. What is Peat's view of these vegies?

thanks

Kris

Papaya is definitely Peat approved. Oysters would provide lots of the nutrients you will miss from liver. Vegetables are ok just not the most optimal food but can be used to supply a lot of the needed nutrients. Strained yogurt cheese will have much less lactic acid in it. Sounds like total BS to say our bodies would benefit from the likes of WGA and other anti-nutrients found in grains and nuts. Ive tried the low protein vegan diet with the lovely healthy PUFAs and I just cant see how low protein can be good in the long run. It pretty much stopped my thyroid from working too well.

Kris

nwo2012, i am not sure if the fact that during our long evolution our body learnt how to transform and utilize certain toxins for its benefit is a bs. it is also a question of amount. often a small amount of poison can be used as a medicine. it is all a controversial topic. i think we must be careful not to have phobia of food, seeing toxins everywhere. there is a big difference between PUFA from that horrible vegetable (seed) oil, produced artificially and totally oxidated, and certain natural oil that is a part of complete natural food. you may find of interest this link speaking of the subject. http://donmatesz.blogspot.in/search/label/phytates

I am wondering what is Peat's view of omega-3? When we stop or radically minimize PUFA, does it mean that we do not need to worry anymore about omega-3? I have been using some supplements with this. Not the fish oil, but a new thing invented in Israel. Omega-3 made from sage. I am not sure whether to keep using it or not??

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
ARK said:
Who is going to break the news about the n-3?

According to Ray Peat. If my understanding is correct. There is nothing essential about it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals