New Sensitivity to Nightshades

Sampj97

I used to be able to eat potatoes (and other nightshades) without any noticable problems but over the last year or 2 they have been causing my problems, starting with a night of insomnia immediately after consuming them, and then just generally feeling unwell (headaches, and fatigue, and mental symptoms: anxiety, depression, brain fog.) More symptoms are in the link. I have tested this many times so I know its not something else. I get symptoms from choline foods sometimes too.

I thought the toxin might have accumulated so I tried cutting them out completley for a while to "detox" them but I was still hypersensitive when trying to reintroduce them. So I'm looking for suggestions, I was not born with this sensitivity so why might I suddenly be reacting to them now? I would not have thought the nightshade toxins stay in the body for more than a few weeks.

redsun

I used to be able to eat potatoes (and other nightshades) without any noticable problems but over the last year or 2 they have been causing my problems, starting with a night of insomnia immediately after consuming them, and then just generally feeling unwell (headaches, and fatigue, and mental symptoms: anxiety, depression, brain fog.) More symptoms are in the link. I have tested this many times so I know its not something else. I get symptoms from choline foods sometimes too.

I thought the toxin might have accumulated so I tried cutting them out completley for a while to "detox" them but I was still hypersensitive when trying to reintroduce them. So I'm looking for suggestions, I was not born with this sensitivity so why might I suddenly be reacting to them now? I would not have thought the nightshade toxins stay in the body for more than a few weeks.
It could be some dietary change or the addition of some type of supplement in your regime that is enhancing acetylcholine and/or reducing adrenergic tone which reduces tolerance to acetylcholine enhancing substances. How have you changed your diet/supplement over the last year or so?

OP
S

Sampj97

It could be some dietary change or the addition of some type of supplement in your regime that is enhancing acetylcholine and/or reducing adrenergic tone which reduces tolerance to acetylcholine enhancing substances. How have you changed your diet/supplement over the last year or so?
I have stopped most supplements. I used to take zinc and the symptoms just got worse especially the insomnia. The only other one has been lactoferrin which had no effect either way. My diet has not changed much, maybe more regular red meat now and low but not strictly low vitamin A (for my eczema)

OP
S

Sampj97

I have stopped most supplements. I used to take zinc and the symptoms just got worse especially the insomnia. The only other one has been lactoferrin which had no effect either way. My diet has not changed much, maybe more regular red meat now and low but not strictly low vitamin A (for my eczema)
and I have been taking a lot of transdermal magnesium I forgot to add

redsun

So when you transitioned to a lower vitamin A diet, what foods did you remove or strongly reduce? And what does your diet include currently?

As for magnesium, some research has shown it may increase acetylcholine activity. So if you are taking a lot it could be making it worse.

Zinc enhances acetylcholine activity in moderate doses. In very high doses it can lower acetylcholine due to inhibition of PDH enzyme that makes acetyl-CoA, but this is not safe of course as this means acute zinc excess also compromises ATP production. It inhibits other kreb cycle enzymes as well.

Also do you have very vivid dreams when you consume nightshades or more choline?

Last edited:
OP
S

Sampj97

So when you transitioned to a lower vitamin A diet, what foods did you remove or strongly reduce? And what does your diet include currently?

As for magnesium, some research has shown it may increase acetylcholine activity. So if you are taking a lot it could be making it worse.

Zinc enhances acetylcholine activity in moderate doses. In very high doses it can lower acetylcholine due to inhibition of PDH enzyme that makes acetyl-CoA, but this is not safe of course as this means acute zinc excess also compromises ATP production. It inhibits other kreb cycle enzymes as well.

Also do you have very vivid dreams when you consume nightshades or more choline?
Yes usually extremely vivid and sometimes quite weird and disturbing dreams on that same night when I finally do get to sleep. For the low vitamin A I basically just cut out eggs and liver. Still have dairy. Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I am taking too much magnesium. Or zinc. I don’t take high dose zinc but do you think eating red meat daily is too much zinc?

redsun

Yes usually extremely vivid and sometimes quite weird and disturbing dreams on that same night when I finally do get to sleep. For the low vitamin A I basically just cut out eggs and liver. Still have dairy. Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I am taking too much magnesium. Or zinc. I don’t take high dose zinc but do you think eating red meat daily is too much zinc?
No red meat daily is fine. What form of dairy are you eating and about how many servings a day? Do you eat very salty food for your last meal before bed?

Last edited:
I don’t have any other issues that you have, OP, but I have found that I can’t tolerate potatoes. I used to be able to eat them. And I always knew I was somewhat sensitive to tomatoes and peppers. But now when I have potatoes, my stomach hurts. I can tolerate tomatoes and peppers to some degree, but not potatoes. This developed over the past year or so.

David PS

@Sampj97 - Welcome to my world. I stopped eating nightshades years ago and I have finally resigned myself to the idea that I cann't eat them any more. In my case, it requires total elimination. Once in a while I slip and I eat something with nightshades and the symptoms always return. It general takes 3-4 days for the symptoms to return.

I had several links to pages about nightshades and many have been scrubbed. Here is what still works.

Korven

@Sampj97 - Welcome to my world. I stopped eating nightshades years ago and I have finally resigned myself to the idea that I cann't eat them any more. In my case, it requires total elimination. Once in a while I slip and I eat something with nightshades and the symptoms always return. It general takes 3-4 days for the symptoms to return.

I had several links to pages about nightshades and many have been scrubbed. Here is what still works.

If I may ask, what kind of symptoms do you get from nightshades @David PS ?

I have been eating a lot of potatoes over the past couple of weeks and my old 'starch poisoning' symptoms are resurfacing. I feel weak, lethargic, hungover-- sort of like living in a cloud of malaise. And last night I had these terrible nightmares and sleep terrors where I feel like I was being chased by some demonic forces. I think I am susceptible to the acetylcholine raising solanine in taters. Always got gut pain from taters as a kid!

I think I have to go on a no potato cleanse.

DBCoast

When tomatoes were introduced in Ancient Rome people named them “poison apples.” Saw that on a documentary recently and thought it was interesting.

Kray

Bump

Kray

Oh that is very helpful information- I have eczema as well. Has yours improved with low A diet? Any other changes you have found helpful for reducing flareups? I don't doubt that for people who are nightshade-sensitive there is a connection.

Years ago I was diagnosed with tomato "allergy" so I avoid them in my diet, along with other nightshades- eggplant, potatoes, bell peppers- and I have a ragweed allergy/hayfever, so wheat is out also. About 10 years ago now, it was an easy transition to Peat since I already had removed wheat products from my diet. Still, I suffer with eczema flareups and haven't been able to figure out cause. Maybe it's too simple to think that cutting out supplements would help, per your comment. How recently did you stop supplements?

Last edited:

unanimous

cholinesterase enhancers

David PS

I would awaken in the middle of the night because may hands got numb and tingling. It gradually got worse. By worse, I mean it started as one wakeup per night and worked its way to three time per night. Just using my hand for 10-15 minutes would make the tingling go away for a few hours so that I could get back to sleep.

Eventually, I discovered that I had a sensitivy to nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, and peppers). I could not believe it but after several months of totally eliminating nightshades from my diet all of my tingling disappeared. In the past I would eat nightshades multiple times a day. If it is a nightshade issue, you should start experiencing some relief within a month. The closer your to totally eliminating nightshades from your diet the faster the improvement.
Edit:

I do not think there are any double blind controlled studies on nightshades. Norman F. Childers was an agricultural professor at Rutgers University and he wrote a book about nightshades and health at least as early as 1977. see The Nightshades and Health: Norman Franklin Childers, Gerald M. Russo: Amazon.com: Books

Linus Pauling was a 2 time Nobel prize winner and he got no respect from the medical/pharmaceutical industry because he wasn't a medical doctor. I suspect that similar logic can be used to explain why the medical profession has not embraced Childer's observations.

Nightshades are a real problem for me. My main symptom was morning stiffness in my fingers. It came about gradually. I initially thought it was just a normal part of aging. Giving up nightshades helped a lot. Potato starch is added to some prepared food and I have to read food labels to avoid it.

Solanine is a glycoalkaloid poison found in the nightshade family. The main nightshades are shown in the cover of Childer's book see https://www.dirtdoctor.com/pics/content_img.1029.img.jpg The white sticks are cigarettes.

Kray

I would awaken in the middle of the night because may hands got numb and tingling. It gradually got worse. By worse, I mean it started as one wakeup per night and worked its way to three time per night. Just using my hand for 10-15 minutes would make the tingling go away for a few hours so that I could get back to sleep.

Eventually, I discovered that I had a sensitivy to nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, and peppers). I could not believe it but after several months of totally eliminating nightshades from my diet all of my tingling disappeared. In the past I would eat nightshades multiple times a day. If it is a nightshade issue, you should start experiencing some relief within a month. The closer your to totally eliminating nightshades from your diet the faster the improvement.
Edit:

I do not think there are any double blind controlled studies on nightshades. Norman F. Childers was an agricultural professor at Rutgers University and he wrote a book about nightshades and health at least as early as 1977. see The Nightshades and Health: Norman Franklin Childers, Gerald M. Russo: Amazon.com: Books

Linus Pauling was a 2 time Nobel prize winner and he got no respect from the medical/pharmaceutical industry because he wasn't a medical doctor. I suspect that similar logic can be used to explain why the medical profession has not embraced Childer's observations.

Nightshades are a real problem for me. My main symptom was morning stiffness in my fingers. It came about gradually. I initially thought it was just a normal part of aging. Giving up nightshades helped a lot. Potato starch is added to some prepared food and I have to read food labels to avoid it.

Solanine is a glycoalkaloid poison found in the nightshade family. The main nightshades are shown in the cover of Childer's book see https://www.dirtdoctor.com/pics/content_img.1029.img.jpg The white sticks are cigarettes.
Great information, thanks for sharing.

I'm familiar enough with the issues of nightshades to know effects and changes can be more subtle. As such, it's a double-edge sword-- because it's not an acute reaction you think, hey why not? and then it catches up with you, and you ssay, hey why? That's been my case anyway. It means I have to be doubly sure to avoid them altogether, as you say, because they don't come screaming at you, like wheat, which was much easier for me to remove because I would get immediate reactions (sinus/flu-like/skin issues). I really appreciate your comment about even potato starch in packaged foods. I've replaced wheat with gf crackers. The brand I buy contains potato starch.

OP
S

Sampj97

Oh that is very helpful information- I have eczema as well. Has yours improved with low A diet? Any other changes you have found helpful for reducing flareups? I don't doubt that for people who are nightshade-sensitive there is a connection.

Years ago I was diagnosed with tomato "allergy" so I avoid them in my diet, along with other nightshades- eggplant, potatoes, bell peppers- and I have a ragweed allergy/hayfever, so wheat is out also. About 10 years ago now, it was an easy transition to Peat since I already had removed wheat products from my diet. Still, I suffer with eczema flareups and haven't been able to figure out cause. Maybe it's too simple to think that cutting out supplements would help, per your comment. How recently did you stop supplements?
I did not stop supplements for anything to do with eczema just because none of them helped me. The only thing I did for eczema was loweing vitamin A and especially lutein.

David PS

Great information, thanks for sharing.

I'm familiar enough with the issues of nightshades to know effects and changes can be more subtle. As such, it's a double-edge sword-- because it's not an acute reaction you think, hey why not? and then it catches up with you, and you ssay, hey why? That's been my case anyway. It means I have to be doubly sure to avoid them altogether, as you say, because they don't come screaming at you, like wheat, which was much easier for me to remove because I would get immediate reactions (sinus/flu-like/skin issues). I really appreciate your comment about even potato starch in packaged foods. I've replaced wheat with gf crackers. The brand I buy contains potato starch.
In addition to potato starch, I started interpreting in food labels that list 'natural spices' in the ingredient list as an indication that it 'probably contains nightshades'. I discovered that by using mustard at a friends house.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals