Foods That Can Help To Heal The Liver

Hans

Forum Supporter
My previous article on restoring liver function might have been a little complex so I thought I'd distill it down a bit into a list of foods and concepts that will be beneficial to healing the liver.

Top 21 liver healing foods » MenElite

mrchibbs

Great list Hans! You're a tireless researcher and I always learn a lot from your articles. I will be incorporating a few of these foods ASAP, like the cranberry juice and some of the spices I don't use regularly

One other key tip I've realized again recently is to make sure to not have too much food in your intestinal tract before going to bed, by not eating a lot 3-4hours before bed.

This can be difficult for people with impaired liver glycogen storage, but I find if you eat carbs and sugars in regular small feedings throughout the day, your glycogen will be good enough for this. A good amount of protein helps a lot too.

The idea I think is that if the liver has to deal with digesting matter/endotoxin throughout the night, it will have less resources to do other things like detoxifying estrogen, and the myriad of other chemical functions, like converting T4 to T3.

I've long eaten the carrot salad mid-day, but I think having one after dinner, a few hours before bed, is a great way to clean the bowels and help the liver during the night. A glass of milk/juice doesn't seem to affect things negatively so it can still be had before bed of course.

I've noticed my face doesn't look puffy/no bags and I look rested when I do this, systematically. Anecdotal, but I feel that explains the habits of our ancestors, who typically wouldn't eat anything have dinner, except for a warm glass of milk maybe.

Ingenol

Great article! I'd be careful with cocoa powder though; 3 tbsp daily for any length of time is going to be a lot of cadmium. Although different powders have different amounts of Cd, they all have a very considerable amount.

mrchibbs

how do you know if you liver is fckt up in the first place without bloodwork?

You can't maintain blood sugar, your basal thyroid temperature is bad, you wake up feeling horrible, your skin looks bad etc.

upload_2020-6-19_15-59-49.png

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Great list Hans! You're a tireless researcher and I always learn a lot from your articles. I will be incorporating a few of these foods ASAP, like the cranberry juice and some of the spices I don't use regularly

One other key tip I've realized again recently is to make sure to not have too much food in your intestinal tract before going to bed, by not eating a lot 3-4hours before bed.

This can be difficult for people with impaired liver glycogen storage, but I find if you eat carbs and sugars in regular small feedings throughout the day, your glycogen will be good enough for this. A good amount of protein helps a lot too.

The idea I think is that if the liver has to deal with digesting matter/endotoxin throughout the night, it will have less resources to do other things like detoxifying estrogen, and the myriad of other chemical functions, like converting T4 to T3.

I've long eaten the carrot salad mid-day, but I think having one after dinner, a few hours before bed, is a great way to clean the bowels and help the liver during the night. A glass of milk/juice doesn't seem to affect things negatively so it can still be had before bed of course.

I've noticed my face doesn't look puffy/no bags and I look rested when I do this, systematically. Anecdotal, but I feel that explains the habits of our ancestors, who typically wouldn't eat anything have dinner, except for a warm glass of milk maybe.
Yeah man definitely. I noticed this as well. Too big a meal, especially with starches, then my sleep is more disrupted, whereas if I drink OJ or milk before bed, all is good. I eat my last big meal about 4-6 hours before bed and then snack on OJ and milk all the way up to bedtime.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Great article! I'd be careful with cocoa powder though; 3 tbsp daily for any length of time is going to be a lot of cadmium. Although different powders have different amounts of Cd, they all have a very considerable amount.
Yes that's definitely a concern, but I do believe the cocoa powder from Lifegivingstore is really low in heavy metals.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
how do you know if you liver is fckt up in the first place without bloodwork?
To add what mrchibbs said, estrogen and other toxins can accumulate which can negatively affect your health.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Great list and great work as always Hans! Gonna fire up the Turmeric and see how it goes.

Ingenol

Yes that's definitely a concern, but I do believe the cocoa powder from Lifegivingstore is really low in heavy metals.
Unfortunately that's not the case. I asked and they responded very quickly with a CoA that lists cadmium at 0.92 mg/kg, which is mid-high for cocoa powders.

This isn't a knock against Life Giving Store--there simply aren't really any cocoa powders with verified low levels of cadmium.

Gone Peating

Unfortunately that's not the case. I asked and they responded very quickly with a CoA that lists cadmium at 0.92 mg/kg, which is mid-high for cocoa powders.

This isn't a knock against Life Giving Store--there simply aren't really any cocoa powders with verified low levels of cadmium.

What are the problems with high cadmium consumption?

I never do well with a lot of raw cocoa powder I wonder if this is the problem

orewashin

What are the problems with high cadmium consumption?

I never do well with a lot of raw cocoa powder I wonder if this is the problem
Some people have problems eliminating it, and it builds up, causing problems with the nervous system.

Coffee can bind cadmium, so mixing cocoa with coffee can greatly minimize the risk.

mrchibbs

Some people have problems eliminating it, and it builds up, causing problems with the nervous system.

Coffee can bind cadmium, so mixing cocoa with coffee can greatly minimize the risk.

Interesting. Probably why I love mocha coffee so much. Have to wonder to what extent our tastebuds can "tell" us whether a particular food combination is good or not.
Because it seems like over the centuries, humans have evolved pretty neat ways to bypass or to prepare foods in ways that make a lot of sense from a biological perspective,
but which they clearly couldn't have known about. Maybe I'm just rambling here.

Marcine

I find all of your posts tremendously helpful and repost them often to the FB Womens peat group despite your insistence of being MENS elitist. Doesn't turmeric need peperine for bioavailability? Thx for clarifying. Very interesting btw that coffee is similar to milk thistle.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I find all of your posts tremendously helpful and repost them often to the FB Womens peat group despite your insistence of being MENS elitist. Doesn't turmeric need peperine for bioavailability? Thx for clarifying. Very interesting btw that coffee is similar to milk thistle.
By no means do I try to claim that men are the elite species through the name of my website; Men-Elite is for men who want to achieve an elite level of health in fitness, hypertrophy, androgens, well-being, etc. The same goes for my wife's website which is FeminElite (the only reason why she doesn't have as much content as me is because she's been helping me for quite a while with my own content, website, etc. But she does want to focus more on her content again once we get our courses going).
Regarding the question though... Turmeric is effective on its own but could be made more effective with peperine.

Last edited:

Marcine

By no means do I try to claim that men are the elite species through the name of my website; Men-Elite is for men who want to achieve an elite level of health in fitness, hypertrophy, androgens, well-being, etc. The same goes for my wife's website which is FeminElite (the only reason why she doesn't have as much content as me is because she's been helping me for quite a while with my own content, website, etc. But she does want to focus more on her content again once we get our courses going).
Regarding the question though... Turmeric is effective on its own but could be made more effective with peperine.
That comment just didn't come out correctly and I do understand as you explained, and how GREAT to know that your wife has a website. Elitism has a connotation in certain circles referring to the CABAL but that's going down so we'll be the new elite with any luck at all! Thank you for clarifying the turmeric issue.

Matt C

Cocoa or cacao? Not sure what cocao is?:smile:
Or are you asking in terms of heavy metals?
Just found this from an article cocao vs cocoa

Raw cacao powder is made by cold-pressing unroasted cocoa beans, this process retains the living enzymes and removes the fat (cacao butter). ... Cacao powder contains more fibre and calories than cocoa powder since more of the nutrients from the whole bean are still intact.

Seems like cac(AO) is healthier

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Just found this from an article cocao vs cocoa

Raw cacao powder is made by cold-pressing unroasted cocoa beans, this process retains the living enzymes and removes the fat (cacao butter). ... Cacao powder contains more fibre and calories than cocoa powder since more of the nutrients from the whole bean are still intact.

Seems like cac(AO) is healthier
The raw powder is also higher in anti-oxidants, but also in phytic acid. The roasting process reduces the phytic acid content, but also the anti-oxidant content.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals