MORE WEIGHT LOSS TALK

OP
Rinse & rePeat
UPDATE:

Here is my dinner tonight, a fresh apple and frozen blueberry crisp. The whole thing calls for a cup of flour so I used one half cup of heirloom Einkorn flour and a half cup of oat flour. It also has a cup of butter in the recipe. A glass of raw milk will pair nicely with this. I haven’t figured out dessert yet :)

Attachments

• 76DDC986-ACD6-4B6C-BB85-B8011FB3EFF0.jpeg
    76DDC986-ACD6-4B6C-BB85-B8011FB3EFF0.jpeg
    829.4 KB · Views: 17

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I suppose it could be a dinner dessert combo meal unless you want some ice cream!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Well when I saw your picture I couldn’t help but think vanilla ice cream would be perfect with it!
The warm and cold together is a perfect pairing. Now I am thinking about how back in the day they paired apple pie with melted cheddar. I thought it and odd thing, but now the sweet and salty sound ms kinda good. I think I’ll make a straight apple crisp next and melt some cheddar curds on it or a piece brie!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The warm and cold together is a perfect pairing. Now I am thinking about how back in the day they paired apple pie with melted cheddar. I thought it and odd thing, but now the sweet and salty sound ms kinda good. I think I’ll make a straight apple crisp next and melt some cheddar curds on it or a piece brie!
Sounds delicious!

PeskyPeater

UPDATE:

I am faithfully eating my liver 3 to 4 times a week in one ounce increments. I am feeling and seeing a difference, compared to eating my liver once a week in a bigger portion like I use to, or not at all. I am eating it in a beef/liver braunschweiger blend. I cut the pound into six portions so each portion has roughly one ounce of liver and 1.5 ounces of grass fed beef, it is an excellent multivitamin!
Please be mindful about the iron content of one ounce of beef liver.

Assuming 18 gr iron per 100gr of beef liver. one once is almost 6mg of iron. But the body can only process 1-2mg of iron per day. adding up to a total iron intake of 24mg per week. resulting in an average of ~3mg iron per day, doesn't that seem too high?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Please be mindful about the iron content of one ounce of beef liver.

Assuming 18 gr iron per 100gr of beef liver. one once is almost 6mg of iron. But the body can only process 1-2mg of iron per day. adding up to a total iron intake of 24mg per week. resulting in an average of ~3mg iron per day, doesn't that seem too high?

Good point, and another good reason for people to spread their liver consumption through the week instead of one meal, like I use to. I only eat one ounce of liver at a time. and the vitamin chart I posted says once ounce of liver has 1.4 mg of iron. In any case, I also have milk and instant coffee with it. Coffee blocks iron and calcium binds to to it and carries it out of the body…

“Abstract. Studies on human subjects have shown that calcium (Ca) can inhibit iron (Fe) absorption, regardless of whether it is given as Ca salts or in dairy products. This has caused concern as increased Ca intake commonly is recommended for children and women, the same populations that are at risk of Fe deficiency.“

PeskyPeater

Good point, and another good reason for people to spread their liver consumption through the week instead of one meal, like I use to. I only eat one ounce of liver at a time. and the vitamin chart I posted says once ounce of liver has 1.4 mg of iron. In any case, I also have milk and instant coffee with it. Coffee blocks iron and calcium binds to to it and carries it out of the body…

“Abstract. Studies on human subjects have shown that calcium (Ca) can inhibit iron (Fe) absorption, regardless of whether it is given as Ca salts or in dairy products. This has caused concern as increased Ca intake commonly is recommended for children and women, the same populations that are at risk of Fe deficiency.“

whoops, my bad! You are right. beef liver is ~5mg of iron /100gr.

my googled value of 17mg iron was not from beef after all, but probably from chicken.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
whoops, my bad! You are right. beef liver is ~5mg of iron /100gr.

my googled value of 17mg iron was not from beef after all, but probably from chicken.
Oh wow is chicken that high? I make chicken wings once a week and boil out all of the PUFA’s before broiling them with coconut oil. I wonder if boiling removes a lot of their iron?

PeskyPeater

yup. chicken liver is that high in iron.

As far as I know cooking meat in liquids can dissolve iron and leech into the liquid, are heat stable though, but boiling meat looses more iron than simmering, I suppose.

Shouldn't the chicken be cooked in oils ,but not in water to displace the PUFA and then discard the oil? Seems to me the water diplaces the oils so it's better to use oil directly at the meat.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
yup. chicken liver is that high in iron.

As far as I know cooking meat in liquids can dissolve iron and leech into the liquid, are heat stable though, but boiling meat looses more iron than simmering, I suppose.

Shouldn't the chicken be cooked in oils ,but not in water to displace the PUFA and then discard the oil? Seems to me the water diplaces the oils so it's better to use oil directly at the meat.
Ohhh chicken liver! Boiling the chicken wings first takes out most of the fat and the I refrigerate the broth, the fat rises to the top and I skim it off and discard it. Then I put some butter down and put the wings skin side down and drizzle coconut oil over the top and broil. Here is what mine looks like. You can kinda see the fat on top in the bowl.

Attachments

• F3EF3827-ACB4-4E20-8E3F-3456D1DA6D12.jpeg
    F3EF3827-ACB4-4E20-8E3F-3456D1DA6D12.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 14
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Today I am making a fresh cream of mushroom soup with my gelatinous chicken bone broth from the wings a couple of days ago…

Attachments

• 15452557-E267-40DB-BED4-0B511A4BA6F4.jpeg
    15452557-E267-40DB-BED4-0B511A4BA6F4.jpeg
    628.3 KB · Views: 16
  • F42E24E4-D78E-4A7E-8FC7-53BFD90F6AEA.jpeg
    F42E24E4-D78E-4A7E-8FC7-53BFD90F6AEA.jpeg
    351.8 KB · Views: 16

Lizb

Today I am making a fresh cream of mushroom soup with my gelatinous chicken bone broth from the wings a couple of days ago…
So did you cook the mushrooms for 15 million hours, let the pan run dry 5 times and wish you'd never bought the mushrooms in the first place?! (My life)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
So did you cook the mushrooms for 15 million hours, let the pan run dry 5 times and wish you'd never bought the mushrooms in the first place?! (My life)
Ha! Ha! Ha! No. I let it go for about 15 minutes until the juices disappeared. I tried cooking them longer in the past, and though they offered a stronger mushroom flavor, I liked, cooking them for 45 minutes or more gave me really bad stomach cramps. Mushrooms never did that to me before cooking them like usual.

Lizb

Ha! Ha! Ha! No. I let it go for about 15 minutes until the juices disappeared. I tried cooking them longer in the past, and though they offered a stronger mushroom flavor, I liked, cooking them for 45 minutes or more gave me really bad stomach cramps. Mushrooms never did that to me before cooking them like usual.
My husband loves mushrooms. I'll do it your way.
I have to say wings do give me the most gelatinous stock.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
My husband loves mushrooms. I'll do it your way.
I have to say wings do give me the most gelatinous stock.
I make wings once a week for my primary gelatin source, because it gives me the most gelatinous and mild tasting stock for a good soup base. I am making broccoli soup next.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I am stuck on “affigatos” lately, a scoop of ice cream with a shot of espresso over it. It melts into a nice float. This morning I put the zest of an orange on top, and using my homemade, no cream or yolk ice cream, it is the best affigato I have had in my town!

Attachments

• A11B2054-C334-4518-858C-475BA19467A5.jpeg
    A11B2054-C334-4518-858C-475BA19467A5.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 15

Theta

UPDATE:

I am faithfully eating my liver 3 to 4 times a week in one ounce increments. I am feeling and seeing a difference, compared to eating my liver once a week in a bigger portion like I use to, or not at all. I am eating it in a beef/liver braunschweiger blend. I cut the pound into six portions so each portion has roughly one ounce of liver and 1.5 ounces of grass fed beef, it is an excellent multivitamin!
I have never eaten liver and want to. The taste is abhorrent to me. How exactly are you eating the daily serving of braunschweiger and exactly what brand?
Thanks for inspiring me to get liver in my body.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I have never eaten liver and want to. The taste is abhorrent to me. How exactly are you eating the daily serving of braunschweiger and exactly what brand?
Thanks for inspiring me to get liver in my body.
Oh man I was traumatized having to eat liver as a kid, the worst food ever. My friend said she always loved it as a kid, and I just can’t understand that. I am using a braunschweiger that is a blend of 60% grass fed beef and 40% liver and seasoned. I cut it into portions that give me one ounce of liver at a time and fry it in ghee and use it all kinds of ways. My family loves when I mix it with hamburger and make ground beef tacos with it, and they hate liver, but love it this way. I brought a couple of those tacos to a friend who loves liver, but couldn’t taste any liver in the tacos, but wished she could. I don’t know where you live but I stick up in it and gave it all shipped for $9 in California. Here is the link….

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals