Minimalism!

Luann

Any minimalists on Peat? Wide-open-spacers or stuff purgers?

Peata

I like the idea of it to an extent - always feeling the weight of "stuff" that's lingering in closets and corners, including possessions that never get looked at, let alone used, or notebooks full of stuff, etc.

I did a de-clutter here and there in some of the rooms and it's a wonderful, light feeling to know that drawers and closets in those rooms are not overflowing and only things needed are stored in there. I look forward to doing that in more rooms, especially my bedroom which has turned into a "catch-all" and can feel oppressive. Which a bedroom definitely should not. It's just that I'm aware of files, receipts, notebooks, etc. that are piled up in closets, cabinets, etc.

I did go through clothing in the bedroom and pared down to what I really use. I got rid of bags of clothing. I even have an empty drawer or two at this point.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've become an accidental minimalist and I love it! I've been trying to sell my house for a long time so I stopped getting more things and started getting rid of much of my old stuff too. Reaching my goal to work minimal hours outside my home has also necessitated a move toward a simplified lifestyle. I've always been frugal so that ties in well with the minimalist theme.

OP
Luann

Luann

awesome, guys! Agreed, Peata, that there's a "light" feeling from knowing all your stuff is useful, and where it is, even. I just gave a comforter to Goodwill. I'm pretty committed to sleeping on the floor, it just feelsss so goodd. Anyone ever regret throwing something out or donating? Like a memory?

NathanK

awesome, guys! Agreed, Peata, that there's a "light" feeling from knowing all your stuff is useful, and where it is, even. I just gave a comforter to Goodwill. I'm pretty committed to sleeping on the floor, it just feelsss so goodd. Anyone ever regret throwing something out or donating? Like a memory?
Funny you say that. I can't think of anything that I've ever missed. I just feel a little bad about some things I threw away and didn't donate instead.

M

marikay

I read The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo a six months ago. Though I have never been a hoarder, I realized after following Kondo's instructions that I have been keeping things that don't bring me joy and getting rid of things that do. I found the process Kondo recommends to be incredibly useful to my psychological well being. I was able to process my past in a way that I hadn't considered before. Next to finding Ray Peat I think this book has made the biggest difference for me in my middle life so far. Not everyone needs to be a minimalist (though I think I am one and have always been one) to get something from this book. It's worth a look, even if only for the instructions on how to fold clothes.;)

800mRepeats

I'll take a look at that book, as I've been contemplating the things that "bring me joy" for the past year or so. I imagine a process in which I'll consider each item and how it makes me feel ...
- some things bring me joy (for their usefulness, beauty, or sentiment (?))
- some things have me on the fence between rational and emotional
- some things are clearly soul-suckers

A few years ago I *thought* I would be making a cross-country move to a different climate. I purged a lot of stuff. Although I can't name anything I *miss*, I have had to re-purchase a few things (mostly cold-weather stuff and a few household items).

I have recently tossed or given away some things that had sentimental value. At one time they had a rather honored place in my home, then they got put away out of sight.
I've kind of missed them ... some awards and a cool collection of vintage glassware (that I NEVER used, just displayed some 20 years ago).
The glassware, in particular, represented quite an era of my life. The awards, less so, at least for now as I'm still IN that era and am just being overrun (although, I know this, too, shall pass).

Perhaps the book might help me find a way to say goodbye and think of them with a bit less regret as well as dispel some trepidation about moving forward with more purging.

Peata

I didn't read the book, but I found a lot of information about it online a while back and got the jist of it. I was able to get rid of a lot of things and organize my socks better.

A couple years ago I got rid of some old journals and that was easier than I thought it would be. I read through them and realized I was no longer that person, it was a time in my life I had moved past and there was no reason to keep them. They showed a part of my journey to who I am today but I am not that same person, so it wasn't that hard to let them go. I did keep a few pages and some cards I'd received in the mail that had a personal message, that kind of thing. But I went from stacks and drawers full of journals and notes to what fit in a small binder. It was a relief.

OP
Luann

Luann

Her book was very cool but as a call to action, not a game plan. And YES papers are one of the hardest areas for me to declutter as a diary-keeper and poet. I started an open-air clothes stacker instead of shoving shirts into drawers, which was inspired by Kondo's thoughts that the more we touch and see our items, the more clearly we see what we should keep or discard.
Sorry to hear your move did not work out. Wouldn't it be nice to go some place warm all year round.

My mum is 94 and Dad is 98, still living at home. ( a small unit) They are definitely in to minimalism and I think it has helped their longevity and optimism. ( also the stents they both have to unblock aortas)!

OP
Luann

Luann

I like that, aussie. Was kind of just wondering about the whole mental health of it all (semi-extreme minimalism), so it's nice to hear a positive note thrown in. Do you think it's good for their relationship? Do you think that question's too probing? Lal

M

marikay

One of the best things I found in Kondo's book was the idea that things you keep do not have to be practical at all (or even sentimental). I have a pair of Kate Spade shoes that are completely useless to me but are so beautiful to look at that they make me happy just seeing them. Based on Kondo's recommendation I keep them in a prominent place in my closet so I see them every time I open the closet. I don't wear them and most organizing systems would insist that I discard them. But not Kondo. The shoes bring me joy so I keep them.

I see Kondo has a new book out called Spark Joy. I wish she would write something on how to shop. That is much harder for me than discarding. Anyway, great comments above. I enJOYed all of them.

DaveFoster

I used to be minimalist, but then I realized that capitalism provides a lot of comforts that improve one's quality of life. Diminishing marginal utility still exists.

NathanK

I used to be minimalist, but then I realized that capitalism provides a lot of comforts that improve one's quality of life. Diminishing marginal utility still exists.
I think it depends on one's perception of minimalism. I'm continuously upgrading my life-especially with new tech or gadgets that make life convenient. I like the best. That said, in the past I might have kept older things on hand as backups or because I know how much I spent on the older thing. I don't think minimalism means giving up improving quality of life. Just removing the things that impair high quality of life. Granted, I've never read an "official" book on minimalism. Just went with my gut on things when I realized how much energy was being sapped by having all this crap that had lost it's utility. Less stuff opens up your place, or life, to allow more quality in. That "baggage" can prevent us from taking or seeing opportunities that we might not have considered in the past. It's a bit of an art form that takes consistent effort.
Obligatory Fight Club scene:

DaveFoster

I think it depends on one's perception of minimalism. I'm continuously upgrading my life-especially with new tech or gadgets that make life convenient. I like the best. That said, in the past I might have kept older things on hand as backups or because I know how much I spent on the older thing. I don't think minimalism means giving up improving quality of life. Just removing the things that impair high quality of life. Granted, I've never read an "official" book on minimalism. Just went with my gut on things when I realized how much energy was being sapped by having all this crap that had lost it's utility. Less stuff opens up your place, or life, to allow more quality in. That "baggage" can prevent us from taking or seeing opportunities that we might not have considered in the past. It's a bit of an art form that takes consistent effort.
Obligatory Fight Club scene:
Absolutely. If it's about efficiency, than I'm all for that.

The problem happens when you start becoming less happy and productive when you choose to remove your dishwasher.

OP
Luann

Luann

The problem happens when you start becoming less happy and productive when you choose to remove your dishwasher.

Fair enough.

There was once a guy who decided to live with 15 things.

Minimalism is nice because it makes your house feel so sunny.

NathanK

Ha, well yeah. Thats more making space and the payoff is increased time spent washing dishes. Everyone needs to find the boundaries or definition of minimalism.

One thing about some new tech that i dont like is having 16 different sets of wash cycles when one will likely do 99% of any job. It takes time and energy to learn that fancy piece of equipment and the cost of repair is often 3x as high. More things to go wrong with it too. Reminds me of one of my favorite washing and dryer machines i once owned. It was so simple with so few complicated options. It was a tank that never broke down or had technical issues. Cleaned great.

So, I think minimalism can apply to not just less stuff but also simplifying. I havent done this, but ive seen some online chefs say they only need one really good knife. You get that one good high quality knife and the rest are unnecessary. Come to think of it, i have a whole block of knives and only really use maybe 3 of them with any regularity outside the steak knives so i may consider that if i ever find great knife replacements for the ones i use.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals