Minimalism!

Lecarpetron

I've found that being in an optimal metabolic state completely eliminates feelings of "achy" nostalgia. In other words, the past is not something that is deeply missed, and is valued less than the present moment.

I think a lot of "hoarding" behavior stems from a yearning for the past, because people generally were healthier in their past than in their present.

Cleaning up can put you in a better mood, but being in a good mood can also allow you to clean up.

I see this in my older relatives. The ones who live almost entirely in the past (including hoarding their long dead relatives' useless crap) are clearly the sickest.

sladerunner69

Go you. To hear your sentiments expressed so well makes me proud to be human. In the end, that's what we want out of our stuff, our life: while to have less makes me feel like a million bucks, to have more gives you the same self-worth. I like this. I like this a lot.

Subjectivity and perspective are definitely present in this discussion. I think capatalism/consumerism can be done responsibly, and Im not positive where you might eprsonally stand on the "consumerism" spectrum but I am thinking of this one friend who always tells me to literally throw away everything I own but my 3 most sacred possessions- because I would be all the happier for it. Doesn't that sound a bit ridiculous? But he swears by it. I suppose it makes sense if you are a very deep, abstract kind of thinkner who is imaginitave.

Still I love owning all sorts of crazy, cool, different things and I think it's msot improtant not to take those items for granted and to always pay back etc...

M

marikay

I say cherry pick from the offerings of capitalism/perceived features of "simple life". I just sold my house and bought one half the size...but I'm not giving up a dishwasher. I just gave up unnecessary space, which I found attracted unwanted furniture, animals, and people - which complicate life way more than ownership of an electric clothes dryer or a few extra pairs of pants.

p.s. marikay, I too read Kondo's book and chose to keep a pair of 5" Badgely Mischka heels that I will likely never wear again. :D

those shoes are art…:) cheers

InChristAlone

One thing about some new tech that i dont like is having 16 different sets of wash cycles when one will likely do 99% of any job. It takes time and energy to learn that fancy piece of equipment and the cost of repair is often 3x as high. More things to go wrong with it too. Reminds me of one of my favorite washing and dryer machines i once owned. It was so simple with so few complicated options. It was a tank that never broke down or had technical issues. Cleaned great .

Hah! I can relate to the simple washer and dryers, we have these super old ones we acquired with our house and they are serious tanks, look like they've never needed to be repaired and do the job just as well as those high tech ones.

I like that, aussie. Was kind of just wondering about the whole mental health of it all (semi-extreme minimalism), so it's nice to hear a positive note thrown in. Do you think it's good for their relationship? Do you think that question's too probing? Lal
Probably has been good for their relationship - no need to nag!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals