How Do I Choose What Milk To Buy?

Crazycoco

And eventually, i think milk is not very satiating. It's liquid calories and youre gonna eat something else afterwards because it's not as good as... Let's say very good melted cheese or good cheeses we have in France.

No general statement here just personal experiment

Steve123

I prefer personnaly, organic whole milk from grassfed cows.

Be careful with the calories argument. Sure low fat dairy have less calories. They are less satiating and more processed too. That's why high fat dairy is associated with lower body weight

The relationship between high-fat dairy consumption and obesity, cardiovascular, and metabolic disease. - PubMed - NCBI

Whole Health Source: New Review Paper by Yours Truly: High-Fat Dairy, Obesity, Metabolic Health and Cardiovascular Disease
Do you have an opinion of the hormones in whole fat milk as opposed to not being in the Semi Skimmed?

Steve123

I'
Not necessarly but you could find this interersting

The Truth about Raw Milk
I could also ask if you've experienced any problems from drinking whole milk?
I'll take a look, thanks for that!
And I totally agree with you on the liquid calories from milk.. and the French cheese comte I cannot get enough of! How much would you eat a day of a cheese like that!

Crazycoco

Ahah comte is excellent i agree. Do you know beaufort ? in my family we are agree about the best cheeses:

Comté
Beaufort
Gorgonzola
Roquefort
Neufchâtel
Corsica ones tastes amazing too.

For comte you have to properly chose the season and of course the producer. When i was in the JURA a small farmer sell me the real one made from flowers-fed cows. Wow... a potential antidote for vegan hysteria

Industrial one we have etorki, a good one .
In the winter, reblochon is amazing.

If from grass fed cows and properly done ...a bit of paradise every day.

So to reply, i eat one of them every day.
From raw milk not particular problems but you can "feel" that it s a "living food".
I prefer cheese nevertheless. tastier, more convenient, more calorie dense. And we dont know why but generally, people have more problems -including Health ones- with milk but none with cheese. May be the bacteria stuff

Steve123

Ahah comte is excellent i agree. Do you know beaufort ? in my family we are agree about the best cheeses:

Comté
Beaufort
Gorgonzola
Roquefort
Neufchâtel
Corsica ones tastes amazing too.

For comte you have to properly chose the season and of course the producer. When i was in the JURA a small farmer sell me the real one made from flowers-fed cows. Wow... a potential antidote for vegan hysteria

Industrial one we have etorki, a good one .
In the winter, reblochon is amazing.

If from grass fed cows and properly done ...a bit of paradise every day.

So to reply, i eat one of them every day.
From raw milk not particular problems but you can "feel" that it s a "living food".
I prefer cheese nevertheless. tastier, more convenient, more calorie dense. And we dont know why but generally, people have more problems -including Health ones- with milk but none with cheese. May be the bacteria stuff

Cool! I get my Comte Cheese from my local supermarket that has the Comte certification badges all over it, its raw milk and animal rennet, its great!

By saying 'i eat one of them every day' One of what? One block of cheese, How much is that, 200g? How much grams of cheese do you eat per day?

I've been looking for a cheese with lower levels of glutamic acid, i think you can find that by going for a cheese with low ageing times.. do you have any recommendations?

I saw gorgonzola but i was wondering if the blue part of the cheese is peat approved? The penicillin part? Ive seen a few other really good cheeses with veins etc, Stilton is a good cheese here in the UK also.

Crazycoco

I saw gorgonzola but i was wondering if the blue part of the cheese is peat approved? The penicillin part?

Dont be afraid of this blue stuff ahah.
Even english scientists aggres now;)

The secret to why the French live longer - Roquefort cheese

I eat something like 250 300 g of cheese daily but i'm aware of the calorie content So it's not thoses plus other things but instead.
My weight loss expérience is: Ray peat diet. Your foods needs to be very tasty because itherwise you Will not be satisfied. So eat very tasty food every day,and be aware of thé caloric content and it should be fine and enjoyable:)

Steve123

Thats good then!

I am glad you say that as i could easily eat that much cheese a day.. I can afford to have loads of calories as i am very skinny.

What type of cheese do you eat that much of daily and often? I know cheeses have high glutamic acid content, parmigianno cheese and roquefort is very high in glutamic acid.. Do you think the glutamic acid is a problem? Also, would a lower aged cheese have less glutamic acid?

D

Deleted member 5487

I've been buying whole milk (because my hubby has ADD and heard that something in lower fat milk aggravates ADD). But I've read on the forums that people are drinking a wide variety of milks.

What kind of milk does Ray Peat recommend?
I know Ray Peat eats ice cream and butter... so I feel like fat isn't really a concern. So I assumed Whole Milk was his first choice. Is there anything wrong with whole milk?

Confused.

1) Whole Milk can be fine if you are not deriving the majority of your protein from milk. Low fat/Fat free It's for people drinking like a 1/2 gallon+ a day.

2) Ice cream before bed if weightloss is not a goal. Hagendazz Vanilla/Coffee/Chocolate only.

For those looking for a good and reliable milk to try. Give Horizon Organic Milk a try. Found cheap at Sprouts/Trader/Wholefood..etc.

The Fat Free tastes like melted Ice cream, actually sweet.
The 1%-whole just increases creaminess.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals