Does Honey Increase Pregnenolone?

milk_lover

Yesterday I bought some pure honey that is purified. I took it at night two tbsps at two different times. I couldn't sleep! It was the worst insomnia I've had for a while. I didn't feel any allergic reaction but my eyes were wide open refusing to sleep. It's like the sugar rash children have when they drink sugary drinks. I was very stimulated. What made think this might be progesterone (even though I haven't tried progesterone in my entire life) is that sometimes I get that when I drink coffee which is a progesterone enhancing substance. Some people reported on the forum that progesterone gives them insomnia if they take it at night. Also, I took vitamin A at night (which I usually take) and with fructose from honey, they may both synthesize progesterone from cholesterol with the help of thyroid. My stomach got very flat and water retention seems to lessen which may support honey opposing estrogen by increasing progesterone. Has anybody experienced the over-stimulating effect of honey? I don't get that from OJ, coke, and pure white sugar, only from the purified honey I bought.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Possible histamines??

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

Possible histamines??
That's likely, but I didn't get hives or skin and scalp itchiness. I didn't feel bad emotionally. It was a burst of energy which came in the wrong time at night when I am supposed to be sleepy. Also, histamine causes stomach flat?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Also, histamine causes stomach flat?
I dunno. I know histamines keep me up at night sometimes, so I knock it down with an anti-histamines. Ray Peat has said people can have allergic reactions to honey, allergic reaction would bring on the histamines.

lindsay

Some honeys (usually Raw honey) have antimicrobial properties. Local honeys can help build immunity again allergens. I've never met a honey I didn't like - except the one I ate once upon a time in Russia that reminded me of the smell of urine, but that's the only one I can think of that I didn't like.

I could eat honey like candy. Would use it in my coffee, but for some reason, it's not as sweet as sugar in coffee and therefore, I have to use a lot more of it - since it's expensive, I just stick with sugar in my coffee. But right from the spoon = bliss :) One day, I will have bees.

tara

Some people reported on the forum that progesterone gives them insomnia if they take it at night.
Maybe some people get this effect, but AFAIK, more people here find progesterone calming and sleep-promoting.

I don't get that from OJ, coke, and pure white sugar, only from the purified honey I bought.
You've actually tried two whole tbls of refined sucrose in the evening?

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

Some honeys (usually Raw honey) have antimicrobial properties. Local honeys can help build immunity again allergens. I've never met a honey I didn't like - except the one I ate once upon a time in Russia that reminded me of the smell of urine, but that's the only one I can think of that I didn't like.

I could eat honey like candy. Would use it in my coffee, but for some reason, it's not as sweet as sugar in coffee and therefore, I have to use a lot more of it - since it's expensive, I just stick with sugar in my coffee. But right from the spoon = bliss :) One day, I will have bees.

Yeah honey is heavenly delicious. My grandfather and my uncles swear by it to keep their vitality and libido elevated. I still don't understand why it gives me allergy-like symptoms like insomnia. @charlie I might try theanine next time with honey or lysine to see if it helps.

Maybe some people get this effect, but AFAIK, more people here find progesterone calming and sleep-promoting.

You've actually tried two whole tbls of refined sucrose in the evening?
Yeah I usually actually take more than three tbls of refined with my coffee and milk before I sleep with no issues whatsoever, it actually makes me sleepy. I did the honey with the same combination (i.e., coffee and milk) and I got the symptoms I described earlier.

tara

Yeah I usually actually take more than three tbls of refined with my coffee and milk before I sleep with no issues whatsoever, it actually makes me sleepy. I did the honey with the same combination (i.e., coffee and milk) and I got the symptoms I described earlier.
Interesting. One of the other differences, along with other suggestions above, is that quite a lot of the honey is likely already in free glucose and free fructose form - ie not needing enzymes to break down like sucrose. I guess that could make it more quickly available?

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

sorry I think I mixed pregnenolone with progesterone. I think the former may cause insomnia to some people. Maybe I should rephrase my question to "Does honey increase pregnenlone?"

Interesting. One of the other differences, along with other suggestions above, is that quite a lot of the honey is likely already in free glucose and free fructose form - ie not needing enzymes to break down like sucrose. I guess that could make it more quickly available?
yeah that could be happening, so that might increase T4 to T3 conversion faster and the burst of energy/insomnia I got was because of the increased active thyroid hormone..

dookie

Yesterday I bought some pure honey that is purified. I took it at night two tbsps at two different times. I couldn't sleep! It was the worst insomnia I've had for a while. I didn't feel any allergic reaction but my eyes were wide open refusing to sleep. It's like the sugar rash children have when they drink sugary drinks. I was very stimulated. What made think this might be progesterone (even though I haven't tried progesterone in my entire life) is that sometimes I get that when I drink coffee which is a progesterone enhancing substance. Some people reported on the forum that progesterone gives them insomnia if they take it at night. Also, I took vitamin A at night (which I usually take) and with fructose from honey, they may both synthesize progesterone from cholesterol with the help of thyroid. My stomach got very flat and water retention seems to lessen which may support honey opposing estrogen by increasing progesterone. Has anybody experienced the over-stimulating effect of honey? I don't get that from OJ, coke, and pure white sugar, only from the purified honey I bought.

Honey can be greatly allergenic in some people, and the reduction of water retention could simply be a stress-response, eg adrenaline or something similar.

I've never heard of honey increasing progesterone or pregnenolone, you could try a bit of pregnenolone or progesterone and see if it feels any similar.

Coffee does a lot of other things besides the theoretical minute increase in progesterone. The stimulating effects of coffee are very likely due to something else than its effect on progesterone or pregnenolone.

Last edited:
Honey can be super allergenic depending on what the bees gather and how you respond.
Cheaper supermarket type mass brand honey may be easier to take and less allergenic and not cause insomnia. Or else maybe you can't tolerate honey. Theanine with the honey may help.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

@dookie and @ecstatichamster you might be right about the allergy thing, but I don't get the classic allergy symptoms from the cheap supermarket honey that I used. Only insomnia if that's a symptom of allergy. I am thinking of starting experimenting with the three youth hormones. I might not touch progesterone because I still want my libido. DHEA in low doses is an experiment I want to try. Also I want to see pregnenolone effect on my cognitive abilities and stress levels. Any tips toward successful attempts would be appreciated.

heartnhands

I dunno. I know histamines keep me up at night sometimes, so I knock it down with an anti-histamines. Ray Peat has said people can have allergic reactions to honey, allergic reaction would bring on the histamines.
What anti histamine?

dookie

@dookie and @ecstatichamster you might be right about the allergy thing, but I don't get the classic allergy symptoms from the cheap supermarket honey that I used. Only insomnia if that's a symptom of allergy. I am thinking of starting experimenting with the three youth hormones. I might not touch progesterone because I still want my libido. DHEA in low doses is an experiment I want to try. Also I want to see pregnenolone effect on my cognitive abilities and stress levels. Any tips toward successful attempts would be appreciated.

Allergy symptoms don't necessarily mean the typical sneeze and runny nose. It can be anything: insomnia, rapid heart rate, agitation, etc.

Try the hormones in low doses, separately, so you know which is doing what. 1 mg of DHEA, 10 mg of pregnenolone, a few mg of progesterone are good experimental doses, no need to exceed those. Let us know how it goes. Feel free to PM me

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
i would use theanine instead

it is MUCH better than antihistamine. More effective and no side effects.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

Allergy symptoms don't necessarily mean the typical sneeze and runny nose. It can be anything: insomnia, rapid heart rate, agitation, etc.

Try the hormones in low doses, separately, so you know which is doing what. 1 mg of DHEA, 10 mg of pregnenolone, a few mg of progesterone are good experimental doses, no need to exceed those. Let us know how it goes. Feel free to PM me
Thanks dookie, what brand of pregnenolone is the best in your opinion? I want to try 5 mg prgenenolone with 5 mg DHEA to see how those affect me. Maybe if I see positive results, I will order haidut's Pansterone because my country customes are unpredictable if they will let it pass or not.

What do you think of BioMatrix pregenenolone Amazon.com: BioMatrix Pregnenolone 30 ml: Health & Personal Care