Metallic Taste, Calcium, Vitamin D

aguilaroja

j. said:
aguilaroja said:
The 25-OH vitamin D level is high, so, especially in a sunny season, you could reduce supplementation.
How did you figure that out without her specifying the units?

It's true-I assumed the report to be in ng/mL units, but I don't know the reporting region. The other values given seemed to correspond to commonly reported units, so I assumed ng/mL. If the reported vitamin D level is in nmol/l, I would be more neutral about adjusting vitamin D, partly depending on outdoor activity and season.

It's better always for units always to be reported specified. Since BUN/Cr is a ratio, that's a slightly firmer unit-less ground.

OP
M

mamaherrera

yes it's ng/ml, so now I'm not supplementing with more, just with what's in m y prenatal, and now I'm getting more since I'm drinking milk. But outside, I get very little. After my LAST pregnancy, it was 19, so I'm glad to see it up there and stable. Now I've been trying to keep my ferritin stable to help with hair as I had terrible hair shedding for years. And i was anemic with this recent pregnancy. My ferritin this time was 85, BUT I had been taking my iron supplements every day before the 24 hour fast. So that might have played into it.

Mittir

RP warns against iron supplement. He has mentioned that food is a safer source of
iron if one has low iron storage. beef liver,muscle meat and lungs are high in iron.
You can drink acidic food like OJ to increase iron absorption.
In most cases, people get anemia due to low thyroid even when they have
enough iron storage. Ferritin alone is not a good indicator of iron storage,
you need both iron saturation index and ferritin to measure total iron storage.
Your high vitamin D level is probably the reason for low PTH, you mentioned in
other thread. It takes lower intake of calcium to suppress PTh when
serum vitamin D level is sufficient. IIRC that is around 35-40 ng/mL.

J

j.

Mittir said:
It takes lower intake of calcium to suppress PTh when
serum vitamin D level is sufficient. IIRC that is around 35-40 ng/mL.

I recall that according to a study it was around 30-35 ng/ml, almost the same range.

OP
M

mamaherrera

so you think my vitamin D level is too high? That's funny as I've struggle so many years to get it up there! I'm kind of glad it was able to get there. If my ferritin was 85 (but mind you, I was taking iron supplements due to the pregnancy anemia) and iron saturation was 21%, how do you think my iron storage is?? especially now that I've backed off on iron, just what's in my prenatal as I'm breastfeeding still.

Mittir

I do not think your vitamin D level is too high. I was just saying that having sufficient
vitamin D helped you to have a low PTH and normal calcium level.
RP mentioned that 50 ng/mL of 25(OH)D, is a good target.
RP recommends a low iron diet and mentioned that iron saturation index
below 25% is protective against cancer. Both your ferritin and saturation index
are within normal range. It is hard to be iron deficient if one eats regular foods.
RP also mentioned that during pregnancy the iron absorption rate from food
increases many fold.

OP
M

mamaherrera

O I gotcha! !Thanks so much for explaining all that to me. I do truly appreciate you taking your time. and yes, it appear my iron is better now, but during the pregnancy, it was a little low and before that when I did have more hair loss, my ferritin was always at a 19, so I don't know why after the pregnancy it shot up so high. I think from all the iron supplements, now I'll have to check in a few months, and see that if without the supplements, if it is remaining at this good current level. Thanks-- oh and now I've lowered my vitamin D, so I'll want to check that in a few months to see if it's holding stable without as much supplementation.

OP
M

mamaherrera

just saw your post about forcing myself up to get up at 7am. I will start tomorrow for sure. I now get up at like 11 or 12 pm. Let's hope within a few days I will fall at 10, completely dead to the world, sound asleep I mean. I need to get out of this bad habit. And let's hope I fall, I don't want to imagine all those other bad things it could be causing me to not sleep. ANd yes I know I need to manage my stress. My husband has always said: YOUR PCOS symptoms, many are brought on by your own lifestyle, you can change it. don't listen to docs who say that there is no cure.

Did the metallic taste go away yet? I'd love to hear any clues you find. Do you feel fatigued also?

When I was 18 I was totally disabled for 6 months with severe fatigue that was coupled with a strange metallic taste exactly like you describe. Both the fatigue and taste happened suddenly in the middle of the day while I was walking my dog, and gradually faded away over 6 months. I never figured out what happened but I still want to know.

Green

CellularIconoclast said:
Did the metallic taste go away yet? I'd love to hear any clues you find. Do you feel fatigued also?

I actually took an antibiotic last night and this morning while eating breakfast I was tasting metal. I can feel it on my tongue. I was fatigued this morning but that's usual.

Peata

I don't know if it's any help but just in case, I had a metallic taste in my mouth last Monday when my electrolytes were off balance (from diarrhea).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals