Log / Day One

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

javin

Sorry to hear you suffer from the Insomnia who Must not be Named as well

I wouldn't necessarily call it insomnia. I can fall asleep quite easily. I just usually wake up a few times during the night and am working toward figuring out how to achieve an 8-hour block of sleep. :)

About lowing iron: I heard some people consume quite a bit of fresh cilantro, which removes iron in your body (along with other minerals to a lesser extent) as it passes through your body. You could get a fresh bundle from the grocers and eat a small handful every day or use it in your cooking.

OP
Luann

Luann

I wouldn't necessarily call it insomnia. I can fall asleep quite easily. I just usually wake up a few times during the night and am working toward figuring out how to achieve an 8-hour block of sleep. :)

About lowing iron: I heard some people consume quite a bit of fresh cilantro, which removes iron in your body (along with other minerals to a lesser extent) as it passes through your body. You could get a fresh bundle from the grocers and eat a small handful every day or use it in your cooking.

Ah, so you are trying to get better rest, but are able to fall asleep initialy : ) They say people weren't meant to sleep for 8 hrs at a time, although I wouldn't know the accuracy of that, and besides better sleep is always worth working for. I used to try for cilantro every day, actually trying to get rid of "copper deficiency" (wasn't the problem, although that's a topic for another day), but have fallen off the wagon. It is delicious.

javin

They say people weren't meant to sleep for 8 hrs at a time.

That's probably true. Maybe I'm okay. I get up every morning feeling rested. I don't suffer from fatigue whatsoever and I think that's the most important thing.

Another thing you could do for lowering iron is simply trying to avoid foods high in iron, although I'm sure you're already doing that.

OP
Luann

Luann

It's Monday night and I haven't had a migraine since wednesday, although there was a hint of one two nights ago. I eat three teaspoons of salt a day, lots of sugar; coffee, potatoes, yams, fruit, no dairy, a tablespoon of coconut oil last night but otherwise fat-free. My period came back after 16 months.

tara

My period came back after 16 months.
Congratulations. This strikes me as probably a good sign.
I've forgotten if you've posted how much you are eating - carbs, protein, calories? (Cronometer or similar can be useful for assessing if you can ignore it's inadequate calorie recommendations.)

OP
Luann

Luann

Another bad migraine that lasted for 24 + hours only to let up this morning.

Food log from the day before:
  1. coffee
  2. milk
  3. sugar
  4. oranges, canned
  5. rice
  6. milk powder
  7. salsa that could have had "natural flavoring"
  8. onion powder, sometimes a trigger
  9. bbq sauce, which has vinegar, another trigger
other possibilities:
  1. Se deficient, although a supplement didn't stop the migraine
  2. food allergy, although a antihistamine didn't do anything
  3. water restriction (probably it)
  4. Mg deficient (this too probably)
  5. lowered serotonin

OP
Luann

Luann

This much is certain: That relapse into PUFA causes bad sleep, joint agony, and repetitive thoughts intruding. Back to square one.

chispas

This much is certain: That relapse into PUFA causes bad sleep, joint agony, and repetitive thoughts intruding. Back to square one.

I have observed my girlfriend's migraine events for over ten years - and so far, despite rigorous logging of all the details, there seems to be no pattern.

I have thought of many, many things, gone through many theories, etc, etc, studied many books on the topic, as I'm sure you have too.

In general, what seems to be THE MOST influential for avoiding the migraine event, is to stay away from any foods that are too rich, or anything preserved. It is my understanding that these foods, however healthy they may seem, disturb a balance of amino acids. Which amino acids in particular? I'm not sure.

I know lysine antagonizes vasopressin, which can work for some people. Lysine in large doses will hurt your kidneys though.

A strong dose of caffeine can prevent the migraine from progressing, but I know you won't feel like downing coffee when the migraine comes.

Taurine works for some people as well. But 10g or so seems to be the dose that works. It didn't work for my girlfriend.

Magnesium is good, but not too much. CoQ10 actually made things worse, and I've heard this happening before to other people. I think Haidut said that the quality of the CoQ10 supplements are mostly poor.

Some Australian researchers think folate and B2 will minimize the migraine frequency, but you have to be careful with folate. Some people don't tolerate it. B2 seems benign, but who knows.

Richiebogie

What PUFA did you have?

Perhaps have an egg or a little seafood to see if that provides some mystery element...

chispas

Another bad migraine that lasted for 24 + hours only to let up this morning.

Food log from the day before:
  1. coffee
  2. milk
  3. sugar
  4. oranges, canned
  5. rice
  6. milk powder
  7. salsa that could have had "natural flavoring"
  8. onion powder, sometimes a trigger
  9. bbq sauce, which has vinegar, another trigger
other possibilities:
  1. Se deficient, although a supplement didn't stop the migraine
  2. food allergy, although a antihistamine didn't do anything
  3. water restriction (probably it)
  4. Mg deficient (this too probably)
  5. lowered serotonin

Don't eat salsa, onion powder, bbq sauce, or milk powder. It's all crap.

If you want a tomato, cut up a tomato. Milk powder is denatured, with oxidised cholesterol. Normal fresh milk is way better. Even casein powder is better, because it is dried at low heat.

I think it is a good idea, as Ray Peat has suggested, to eat gelatine. If you start your day with a good serve of gelatine/glycine, it should set you up for the rest of the day, defending you from many excitotoxic compounds, glutamine in particular.

Fugitive glutamine is what causes brain damage following a stroke. It is the most excitogenic compound in the body. I strongly believe that migraines are caused by the excitogenic strata of amino acids. Especially nitric oxide. How's your eyesight in general?

OP
Luann

Luann

Feeling hot, swollen, sluggish, can't breathe through nose, anxiety feelings and exaggerated sensitivity to noise and this fly that is in the room. PUFA from Sunday, or starch from lunch, or one exacerbating the other?

OP
Luann

Luann

Trying to listen to body for cues on health.

Tastes good: Coconut oil popcorn, salt potatoes, ice cream

Gross: theobromine (chocolate, excess coffee), fructose drinks, rice.

OP
Luann

Luann

How are you @javin

Relied purely on cravings for a day:
  1. Steak
  2. vanilla ice cream
  3. tomato bisque
  4. buttered potatoes
Didn't want:
  1. coffee
  2. rice
Wanted butter popcorn but it wasn't in house

Birdie

Really good for lowering iron is using iron blocker foods along with any iron containing foods that don't have their own iron blockers.
For example, oj with meat. Also coffee.. I got to be really good at it. Donated blood too. Then, got anemia. I have experience ! :blackeye:

Forgot a good one is calcium.

PPS. Now I'm confused about the oj with meat. I don't remember. But you can do a search and come up with a lot of info on iron blockers.

OP
Luann

Luann

Really good for lowering iron is using iron blocker foods along with any iron containing foods that don't have their own iron blockers.
For example, oj with meat. Also coffee.. I got to be really good at it. Donated blood too. Then, got anemia. I have experience ! :blackeye:

Love that coffee, thank you. Sorry you got anemia : /
Anyone taken a break or "rumspringa" from Peat, then returned? What was your experience?

Last edited by a moderator:

Birdie

Vitamin C increases absorption of iron so OJ and meat together is bad if you are trying to reduce iron.
Yes, I came by to correct that. Brain fog again. After light exercise the fog disappeared.

Orange juice will increase absorption of iron. I avoided coffee at the same time and within an hour before and after iron to get my iron levels up. So do the opposite if you want lower iron.
:) And you'll want to aim for your oj an hour away from iron foods.

Another iron blocker is calcium. (Milk, cheese..) It's pretty easy to avoid iron with following RP.

Last edited:
OP
Luann

Luann

thoughts:

1. Sugar is locate-toilets-just-in-case nauseating. No more, ever, except sweetened coffee and barbeque sauce which are still palatable.

2. On a low starch diet it's impossible to maintain weight, since sugar gets old fast. Its also weird when family members look at you like they would at a coke addict and you can't blame em.

3. Potatoes and tomatoes are VERY appealing at this stage of the journey; not rice, which actually never sounds good anymore.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom