'Gainz Brah' Bio-energetic Log

OP
m_arch

m_arch

@m_arch

Not bad. I don't feel good unless I get at least a few thousand over that, but I'm probably hypothyroid anyway.
Interesting. TYW had an interest post about how he thought total caloric intake wasn't as important as overall PUFA deficiency, and used the Okinawa people of Japan as an example. PUFA deficiency meaning leanness as well. I'm not sure i'd stay lean if I ate so many calories

BenPatrick

<3

Hope it goes well for you! My cousin also took accutane and has chronic dry eyes. He's finding a multivitamin helps him (I originally recommended him to try liver but he refused). I haven't had chronic keratosis pillaris (except when I got ross river virus earlier this year) so I can't help you there, but perhaps the high dose vitamin A will help.

People often talk about its toxicity at such high doses (i'm doing 100,000 UI) but I have heard if you have daily carot salad, your skin will turn orange if you have too much vitamin A. Also I believe there was a study done of 100,00 UI for 6 years and people were fine. But maybe after 6 months I'll lower my dose to 20,000 UI just to be safe. Hows your metabolism? The A can get oxidised so Ray recomends having E with it.

When I used to shave I would get a rash on my neck in this one spot, so I stopped shaving and now I use a stubble trimmer (people tell me it looks better anyway - I have a baby face). I think it was more of a rash than ingrown hairs though.

My metabolism seems to be rocking along on a pretty similar diet to yours, now that i looked at it more closely. Lots of rice, low fat, eggs, liver, oysters.. y'know. Really seem to do well with a bunch of bananas too.

As far as vitA goes, I'll probably start at 100k IU/d topically (with some E- thanks!). My girlfriend and I recently moved to the southwest, and the sun is suuuper intense. Think we both depleted our stores of A and/or E after spending time hiking around- both started to get acne again, and I started getting worse ingrown hairs when shaving

Speaking of shaving, yeah I use the electric trimmer and have been for the past 4-5 years. No luck with safety razors or cartridges, creams, etc as far as preventing ingrown hairs/rash or whatever it is. I've seen the RP quote regarding Vit A and ingrown hairs, which got me interested in trying it out. Especially after having been on accutane. Heard it can cause a deficiency after you stop?

tyw

Interesting. TYW had an interest post about how he thought total caloric intake wasn't as important as overall PUFA deficiency, and used the Okinawa people of Japan as an example. PUFA deficiency meaning leanness as well. I'm not sure i'd stay lean if I ate so many calories

To be clear, the true metric we want is high metabolic rate and high metabolic efficiency.
  • "Metabolic rate" means how many Electrons you push through ECT
  • "Metabolic efficiency" means how many of those Electrons actually end up being "used for good things" -- either accepted by Oxygen, or uncoupled and pushed out of mitochondria as IR light / heat (which has everything from cell signalling properties, to helping you keep warm in winter)

This is not really possible to measure accurately, and we are stuck with proxy variables.

PUFA depletion is not a direct mechanic, but is directly related, in that it confers both greater metabolic potential and metabolic efficiency. ie: in PUFA depleted cells and more importantly, PUFA-depleted mitochondria, you will find more mitochondrial cristae -- more sites for oxidative metabolism to take place, hence "more metabolic potential", as well as more metabolic uncoupling in the face of excess ECT flux.

The 2 outcomes we really want are either:

(1) High uncoupling in the face of high caloric influx (which doesn't generally produce a lot of Reactive Oxygen Species) -> possible indicators include body temperature

(2) High acceptance rate of Oxygen as a terminal electron acceptor (which means that electrons do not leak to form ROS) -> best measure here is probably your capnometer responses to meals

Note that this has not much to do with total caloric intake at all ;) It really is about the way that you use substrate. There are obviously other factors that would affect caloric intake, and Peat himself talked about a reduction in food consumption (from admittedly very high amounts) upon normalisation of this thyroid hormone values.

Still, energy expenditure may be a good factor to consider, but absolute numbers are not useful. Instead, we need to consider energy expenditure per unit bodymass (and some would say "energy expenditure per unit Lean Body Mass").

eg: At my current intake of around 2500-3000kcal, and at a bodyweight of approximately 70kg / 154 lbs, that's a bodyweight multiplier of 35x - 42x kcal/KG/day or 16x - 19.5x kcal/lbs/day. (ie: 3000 / 154 ~= 19.5)

The bodybuilding community would normally consider something like a 14x - 16x kcal/lbs/day multiplier to be "normal". But in any case, what one wants to see is increases of one's own caloric multiplier over time (and this is definitely something I've seen since going super low fat).

EIRE24

Yeah I literally haven't noticed one pimple come up since starting this. My skin feels less oily too (typically been very oily).

And generally would you get a pimple every now and again or was it a daily thing? My skin isnt that oily either its more dry than anything. I'm not sure why my skin has been so bad, its only been like this the past year following the reccomendations of peat.

OP
m_arch

m_arch

To be clear, the true metric we want is high metabolic rate and high metabolic efficiency.
  • "Metabolic efficiency" means how many of those Electrons actually end up being "used for good things" -- either accepted by Oxygen, or uncoupled and pushed out of mitochondria as IR light / heat (which has everything from cell signalling properties, to helping you keep warm in winter)

This is not really possible to measure accurately, and we are stuck with proxy variables.

PUFA depletion is not a direct mechanic, but is directly related, in that it confers both greater metabolic potential and metabolic efficiency. ie: in PUFA depleted cells and more importantly, PUFA-depleted mitochondria, you will find more mitochondrial cristae -- more sites for oxidative metabolism to take place, hence "more metabolic potential", as well as more metabolic uncoupling in the face of excess ECT flux.

(1) High uncoupling in the face of high caloric influx (which doesn't generally produce a lot of Reactive Oxygen Species) -> possible indicators include body temperature

(2) High acceptance rate of Oxygen as a terminal electron acceptor (which means that electrons do not leak to form ROS) -> best measure here is probably your capnometer responses to meals

Note that this has not much to do with total caloric intake at all ;) It really is about the way that you use substrate. There are obviously other factors that would affect caloric intake, and Peat himself talked about a reduction in food consumption (from admittedly very high amounts) upon normalisation of this thyroid hormone values.

Still, energy expenditure may be a good factor to consider, but absolute numbers are not useful. Instead, we need to consider energy expenditure per unit bodymass (and some would say "energy expenditure per unit Lean Body Mass").

eg: At my current intake of around 2500-3000kcal, and at a bodyweight of approximately 70kg / 154 lbs, that's a bodyweight multiplier of 35x - 42x kcal/KG/day or 16x - 19.5x kcal/lbs/day. (ie: 3000 / 154 ~= 19.5)

The bodybuilding community would normally consider something like a 14x - 16x kcal/lbs/day multiplier to be "normal". But in any case, what one wants to see is increases of one's own caloric multiplier over time (and this is definitely something I've seen since going super low fat).

Thanks Yew that's interesting, I hadn't heard of bodyweight multiplier before. It seems like a good measure of metabolism.

I'm guessing that the multiplier is supposed to use a 'set point ' figure of both weight and food intake (ie you've had the same diet for a month or so and you don't lose or gain weight anymore on it)

OP
m_arch

m_arch

And generally would you get a pimple every now and again or was it a daily thing? My skin isnt that oily either its more dry than anything. I'm not sure why my skin has been so bad, its only been like this the past year following the reccomendations of peat.
Yeah I would, not crazy amounts but I had areas, you know, like a cluster under my cheek or something.

Same thing with accutaine, the pimples stopped coming and the existing ones died off (or sorted themselves out)

TubZy

Add in niacinimide it increases the utilisation of steroids and cholesterol/hormones. Have you seen haiduts post on the combo of vitamin A and niacinimide for steroid production?

Regina

Excellent explanation tyw! Thx!

DaveFoster

In my experience, caffeine is the most potent anabolic substance, not to mention its unparalleled safety profile and ergogenic properties.

OP
m_arch

m_arch

In my experience, caffeine is the most potent anabolic substance, not to mention its unparalleled safety profile and ergogenic properties.
I think it has to be balanced with cholesterol and vitamin a though. My levels of those two can get pretty low :/

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals