Log / Day One

OP
Luann

Luann

Some asides: weight gain, but my singing voice has a wider range. No depression or migraines, although the edginess still is there and I feel super tired in the mornings.

OP
Luann

Luann

Afternoon: angry, tired, a little sick to the stomach, feeling just "off". I really want to put saturated fat back into my diet but also want to hold off for a week or so just to get the PUFA out.

OP
Luann

Luann

Cons: dry milk, super expensive, oxidised cholesterol. Milk: that much liquid makes me feel slow. Gonna use milk but cut back on other liquids and sip it throughout the day.

OP
Luann

Luann

Can't continue drinking a half gallon of milk a day, the liquid makes me feel like time is in slow motion. Also something I read on here about excitotoxins in the added A & D vitamins. There has to be a better way to get protein.

Last edited:
OP
Luann

Luann

Hey, guys!! IT'S been a while since I posted last, that was a nice chance to get some perspective, get out into the world, and take the focus off of myself for a little while :D
My friend and I stayed in a rented house for a week of vacation, got some sun, relaxed, ate too much, and went swimming. It was / will be the highlight of my summer. I followed basic Peat guidelines and actually have had some new thoughts. My diet is pretty simple these days and the one facotr I'd like to change is my iron conasumption. I may be quite sensitive to iron or absorb it really well, because it seems to affect me a lot. Am switching from potatoes to rice as a carb to kind of cut down the iron and may be veggie for a while, no meat. In fact, I notice a difference between how I feel if I haven't had any coffee (we all do, lol) and wonder if that "buzz" is due partially to iron inhibition?
I've been thinking about Peat diets in the context of American history / slavery / Southern unrest. It's fair to say that the American South eats pretty un-Peaty: greens, fried catfish, ham hocks, crisco, tea, blackeyed peas. Not everyone, but typically and culturally. Sometimes I wonder if that has anything to do with the intolerance that those parts are famous for. Diet affects the mind, right?
My other thought was Peat-ing in the context of popular fiction books. Take Franney and Zooey: references to a cheeseburger and Coke diet compared to "healing" chicken broth. Or the Pigman, where main character and rebel John asks his mom for real whipped cream instead of "that fake stuff" on his dessert. Maybe I read too far into things.

tara

Eating now; also, my fat count from the last two days has been REALLy high, most of it saturated but probably something like 55 grams of fat in two days, enough of that gets oxidized, that would explain the depression, no?
Just for another perspective on that, that's around 500 cals from fat. So about 20% of a reasonable amount of daily food for an average grown woman. That is not the extremely low amount of fat that some people are doing around here, but it is less than the 30+ % that many people on ordinary (ie not high carb or high fat) diets eat. Some common perspectives would count 20% fat as low fat. If 55 g is a higher percentage of your diet, that's not because it is a lot of fat, it's because it's an overall low-calorie diet.

Unless or until you can reliably eat enough food every day, I would not recommend eating less fat (though I do recommend minimising PUFAs).

tara

But it's not really square one because my headaches have stopped. One whole month w/o migraine as opposed to once a week :) And the moments of pain have a different feel; it's not imaginary, the serotonin is evening itself out.
That does seem like a big improvement. So maybe keeping the fat lower would be worth it, if you could get your carbs up.

tara

You know, fish is a pretty good substitute for not having milk. It's low in fat and iron and provides protein calcium and N3 to protect you from the pufa N6. Rice, fruit, etcetera. So Peat might be like an improved Japanese diet?
Peat's Fish Oil Experiment article makes it pretty plain that he does not consider fish oil/N3's to be protective.

I like fish too, and have trouble with too much dairy. Seafood can be a good source of selenium, which can be low in depleted land-grown food. But I'm not eating it for the oils (mostly go for white/non-oily fish these days).

Can't continue drinking a half gallon of milk a day, the liquid makes me feel like time is in slow motion.
Mittir wrote about condensing milk - less liquid, and avoids the issues with dehydrated milk. As another option if you have the time for it. Or making your own farmer's cheese, which is very easy.

OP
Luann

Luann

Good advice, Tara. I like the farmer's cheese - it's just time, and work, and it's hard to watch the whey go down the drain, feels like a waste of money? Even though that's just how cheese is made anyway. Will take your other advice to heart, too, on fat and calorie content.
Am having a reaction to pesticides on some oranges I had for lunch. I had like 7 (hungry!) and remember having a reaction to tomatoes from the same farmer's market, like there was a very marked pattern, headache, a dissociated / "whatis going on" feeling, nervousness, and misplacing things. Long story short, pesticides are poison, guys. I'm basicaly about to start something like a low-oxalate diet, VERY low in fruits

OP
Luann

Luann

wondering if the headaches I got from the farmer's market oranges and tomatoes were not from pesticides but from tyramine and or histamine. I buy over-ripe fruit there because it's Peat-y, and I get a discount on it. That would explain the tyramine. Some fruits don't affect me when they're over-ripe. Tyramine and histamine are (pieces of?) proteins, so is tyramine a clue to the keto acid content of the fruit? For example tomatoes would have a higher protein potential than apples?

OP
Luann

Luann

What's up with this rice??! It's jasmine but I got this reaction twice with basmati too. First as I start to eat it I get this "balk" response, whether it's my tastebuds or stomach, something starts telling me not to eat it. Halfway through the bowl I feel extremely sick, followed by weird anxiety and nervous depression after I eat the whole thing (asking myself Why, the whole time.) Then comes a mad search of the kitchen to wash the rice down with something. Milk, sure. Pass the coffee. Yeah I'll chug that soda. BBQ sauce right out of the bottle, why not. It's like my body's innate poison control. I'm done with rice.
This never happened for the week and 1/2 I ate organic rice. Guess it's the arsenic. Time to rinse or go organic.

Last edited:

tara

OP
Luann

Luann

I like it by itself, tastes good to me
Just kinda made me sick too. Also I had a can of pumpkin beforehand, because I didn't know about betacarotene until last night. I rinsed the rice and tried again last night, high-volume cooking, drain and rinse again. It went down ok, this afternoon I'll try it like that and then nuke it for a minute or so to get rid of liquid

Jayfish

Watch out for endotoxin which will cause a cascade of serotonin, estrogen and cortisol. Personally I think you are eating way too muh fiber and in no way eating a Peatcentric diet.

tara

I like it by itself, tastes good to me
I like the taste of rice too, but just eating it by itself hasn't always worked out well for me. I think having other tasty food with it probably stimulates the digestive system in a useful way.

OP
Luann

Luann

I like the taste of rice too, but just eating it by itself hasn't always worked out well for me.
Yeah :/ It didn't digest great today but better than nothing, and better than say, peanut butter or something.
Excited to make-over my diet without beta carotene, bought bamboo shoots and water chestnuts for fiber today, wanna start cooking with onion mushroom and garlic as well. Caught myself reading yogurt labels for added A acetate in the store today

I've had something similar happen when eating plain hot sushi rice, weird feelings then pain and gurgling in my appendix area, scary! IIRC i took some charcoal and ate some carrots later and it turned out fine, I've carefully avoided rice since that incident, never had a problem with rice before that, and haven't had a problem with any other starch.
Out of curiosity, in which isle of the grocery store did you find the bamboo shoots?

OP
Luann

Luann

I've had something similar happen when eating plain hot sushi rice, weird feelings then pain
I too associate the stomach weirdness with fresh hot rice, temperature specifically. After seeing something nicholas posted about cooled starch working for him I tried it with rice, it still wasn't perfect, I'm experimenting with baking the liquid out of it post-boil too. Had some potatoes today but they make my gums and lymph nodes sore.
The shoots were from the asian section
Questions, is histadelia associated with hypothyroidism or PUFA load? will I get less sensitive to histamines after I peat long-term?

Who else is concerned about negative ions, like screens, indoor carpets, and synthetic clothes?

Last edited:
OP
Luann

Luann

Nothing much to report, taking it day by day : ]
Except that if anyone here hasn't made a point to move their bed away from a router, and still needs to, do it. It feels a hundred percent better.

Back
Top Bottom