Instructions on How to Supplement With Glandular Thyroid

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Hmmm, I dont think it has to do with liquid because it seems to start pounding anytime it feels like it.

However, it now seems, this pounding heart, might actually be a normal heartbeat and I am just not use to it.

asajulian

Charlie said:
Hmmm, I dont think it has to do with liquid because it seems to start pounding anytime it feels like it.

However, it now seems, this pounding heart, might actually be a normal heartbeat and I am just not use to it.

Personally, I've come to notice a big difference between pounding (usually accompanied by tenseness, anxiety, and insomnia) and my heart beating quickly (80-90 bpm) yet I'm relaxed and at ease. I don't think pounding is normal. :2cents

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thing is, I was tense only because I was worried about the pounding. When this hard heart beat was happening, is when I got the best sleep ever. The speed of the beating would not increase either, it would just start beating harder.

asajulian

Charlie said:
Thing is, I was tense only because I was worried about the pounding. When this hard heart beat was happening, is when I got the best sleep ever. The speed of the beating would not increase either, it would just start beating harder.

Hmm, that's interesting. I can never sleep when I feel my heart beating through the mattress. :lol:

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I definitely had a little more difficulty falling asleep because of concern that my heart was going to burst through my chest. But those nights, once asleep, I would be out like a light.

Ray Peat says people are usually delighted that they can finally feel their heart beating. I told him I was scared. :lol:

SheilaHelm1

I remember somewhere, (think it was on Dr John Lowe's website before he died) about doing an overstimulation test when supplementing with natural thyroid. Sit on an upright chair with your back straight and with your feet flat on the ground, knees at a right angle, then raise the heels slowly and if your knees start to shake or tremble you are over doing it. Has anyone else heard of this ? When I first started on NDT, i overdid it, and had the pounding heart and shaky knees and a feeling of being a bit 'dithery'. I presume it was just my body catching up at first because I don't experience it any more, racing heart a bit now and again, but it makes me feel 'alive' so I like it.....

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
No I have never heard of this but will keep it in mind. Definitely feeling more alive these days! :)

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
SheilaHelm1 said:
I remember somewhere, (think it was on Dr John Lowe's website before he died) about doing an overstimulation test when supplementing with natural thyroid. Sit on an upright chair with your back straight and with your feet flat on the ground, knees at a right angle, then raise the heels slowly and if your knees start to shake or tremble you are over doing it. Has anyone else heard of this ? When I first started on NDT, i overdid it, and had the pounding heart and shaky knees and a feeling of being a bit 'dithery'. I presume it was just my body catching up at first because I don't experience it any more, racing heart a bit now and again, but it makes me feel 'alive' so I like it.....

Sheila, I just upped my dose to 1 pill and started having this shaky knee thing. Going to stop at 1 pill for a while and see if it goes away. If it doesn't then I will slow decrease the dose.

Did you decrease your dose when this happened to you? Or did it go away on its own?

SheilaHelm1

Sorry Charlie only just seen your reply. It still happens occasionally, I always take the same amount and it usually just goes back to normal. I didn't decrease the amount. Maybe it depends what else I have eaten that day or if I haven't eaten enough?

I'd just like to mention my experiences with Thyrogold so far. I've worked up to 2 caps up until now of the smaller dose, 150 mg.

So far, no increase in temps or pulse. From the first tablet I took, I experienced a kind of feeling of brain fog, hard to concentrate, "out of it", weird mental state. As if my thoughts had to go through some thick barrier before they could materialise.

Yesterday I tried moving up to 3 caps, and after I took the 3rd capsule around 9 PM, this one hit me the hardest, my head felt like almost floating on top of my body, like something had just climbed inside my head, I felt really woozy and was staring off into random directions. Though I did have a temperature of 97.8.

It went away after 2 hours but was a seriously disorienting experience. I definitely don't wanna feel like that all the time, or again.

Either way, it seems like this product doesn't quite jibe with me. Today I woke up with temp 95.9 :shock: my usual was 96.6.

Jib

I've been taking American Biologics Thyroid Glandular for about a week. I started off with 1/4 tablet in the morning, then after a few days decided to go down to 1/8 tablet, because I was feeling weird.

I'm still feeling weird on 1/8 tablet once in the morning. Dissociated, a little bit like I'm losing my mind, and more trouble sleeping than I usually have. I'm cutting the tablets into eighths using a razor blade (after cutting them into quarters using a pill cutter), so the dosage isn't quite the same between each tablet, but they're all under 1/4 of a tablet.

I couldn't believe that such a small amount could be causing such overt symptoms, but it's the only thing I've changed recently. Any opinions on this?

It's a little disconcerting, but I'm thinking that if I stick with 1/8 tablet once a day for a couple more weeks, things might level out. If it doesn't get better, I'm probably just going to stop taking it and focus on the standard diet protocol.

I donated blood a few days ago, and for the record, my pulse was 64 beats a minute and my oral temperature was 99.5 degrees F. So something might be going on there. Feeling a lot of that "tired but wired" feeling. If I could get the lab work done I would, and that would probably be the best thing to do. I can't imagine that 1/8 tablet of thyroid glandular once a day could do any long-term harm, but I'm a little on the fence about it with how I've been feeling -- especially without lab work.

I want to feel better and I'd like to get my pulse and temperature up, especially in the morning when I feel like garbage and my temperature is usually around 96-97.3 degrees F. But without getting tested I'm not so sure if messing around with this stuff is a good idea. Are pulse and temperature really enough to guide dosage or should full lab work be standard procedure?

superhuman

i havent noticed anything from taking thyroid glandular. Strange, maybe its because i need more or? ive tried 200mg dessicated thyroid glandular at a meal and i didnt feel anything

montmorency

How are people generally determining whether they need to supplement or not?

Are you going mainly by temperature? (I've read the Lita Lee PDF).

Also, did anyone have good results in losing any weight and / or excess belly fat after thyroid supplementation?

(Sorry if there is a better place for asking this type of question).

mother

I recently started taking THYROID from Erfa, 30 mg in the morning on an empty stomach and later added 15 mg an hour after eating lunch. I chew the THYROID and swallow with water. I take the THYROID on an empty stomach as directed by my doctor. He prescribed THYROID at my request after I informed him I did not want to take the Synthroid he prescribed. I'm not sure how familiar my doctor is with THYROID so my question is do I continue taking THYROID on an empty stomach or do I take THYROID with food as Ray Peat and others do with their thyroid medication. The Erfa website is not helpful. Thanks.

mandance

I am curious about these issues as well. I tried taking an 8th of a tab of cynomel before, and by the 3rd day, I had such extreme muscle weakness and fatigue I couldnt stand. I also experienced chest pain and a hear that would pound very hard for a few weeks. Peat suggested me to take an 8th of cynoplus at night with milk and OJ instead. But that reaction seems very unsafe to me and makes me wonder if we are potentially causing some serious problems to heart or thyroid etc.

4peatssake

mandance said:
I am curious about these issues as well. I tried taking an 8th of a tab of cynomel before, and by the 3rd day, I had such extreme muscle weakness and fatigue I couldnt stand. I also experienced chest pain and a hear that would pound very hard for a few weeks. Peat suggested me to take an 8th of cynoplus at night with milk and OJ instead. But that reaction seems very unsafe to me and makes me wonder if we are potentially causing some serious problems to heart or thyroid etc.
I think it is important to mention here that Ray Peat's initial recommendation to you was to take cynoplus (T4/T3 combined) and not cynomel - was it not?

You chose instead to take cynomel - T3 only.

There is a big difference between the two and Ray always makes recommendations based on the individual's particular situation.

I don't know that he ever recommends only cynomel, especially after his own experience supplementing with it, without any T4.

Ray Peat said:
When I used only Cytomel, any little stress would make me suddenly hypothyroid, and my heart would stop several times in a minute; when I started using some thyroid, USP, that contained both T4 and T3 it stopped happening.

If you have given him a run down of your health issues and he makes a suggestion you can be sure it is based on your situation. There is a reason he did not recommend cynomel to you.

When he looked at my issues and the health history I provided to him, he was able to determine that I was likely hypothyroid from childhood and recommended both cynoplus and cynomel. I began supplementing with them nearly 2 months ago and the results have been remarkable.

mandance

Yeah, you are probably right. I had the cynomel first and before getting the cynoplus, wanted to see how my body would react to the t3. But it seems like it had some reverse t3 actions. I will probably give the cynoplus a shot at some point. Are there any risks taking either at small doses? The way I felt was crazy but I cant find much in terms of small doses and risk factors online and I do know that many members have had great success with thyroid.

Do you still dose it 4peatssake, or did you take it for awhile then stop? Were the benefits long lasting or is it something you have to always take now?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Wanted to add this here:

"In 1951, Greer reported the pattern of recovery of thyroid function after stopping suppressive treatment with thyroid hormone in euthyroid [normal] subjects based on sequential measurements of their thyroidal uptake of radioiodine. He observed that after withdrawal of exogenous thyroid therapy, thyroid function, in terms of radioiodine uptake, returned to normal in most subjects within two weeks. He further observed that thyroid function returned as rapidly in those subjects whose glands had been depressed by several years of thyroid medication as it did in those whose gland had been depressed for only a few days" (8)

These results have been subsequently verified in several studies (8,9) and a large number of trials where T3 was used to treat obesity. So, contrary to what has been stated in the bodybuilding literature, there is no evidence that long-term thyroid supplementation will somehow damage your thyroid gland.

Source

4peatssake

mandance said:
Do you still dose it 4peatssake, or did you take it for awhile then stop? Were the benefits long lasting or is it something you have to always take now?
Yes I am still taking cynoplus and cynomel and I have no idea how long I will need it. I have a ways to go.
In my case, I had gone more than 4 decades with undiagnosed hypothyroidism. Correcting my diet and taking thyroid has turned so much around for me, particulary getting my temps up to 98.6 and above.

Prior to thyroid meds I was lucky to get to 97.5. My heart rate was over 100 bpm due to stress hormones and I was so fatigued and in pain from inflammation that I could barely walk. I was in bad shape.

For me diet came first, followed pretty quickly by thyroid and I am also now supplementing aspirin, pregnenolone, niacinamide and Vitamin K2.

It takes time to figure out what you need and this is definitely an adventure in self discovery and learning to properly care for and heal yourself.

mandance

Great post. It def seems that way. I am still dialing in my diet myself. Maybe before trying cynoplus ill try prenenolone for awhile. I just got some.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals