I’m Not Convinced Vitamin D Should Be Supplemented

DANIEL

I'm not convinced anything should be supplemented besides chelated magnesium and strain-specific proven probiotics from a trusted source. But even that is unnecessary, hence the word supplement.

Vitamin D3 depletes Vitamin A, B-complex causes weird dreams and irritability for me, vitamin C does nothing since I regularly drink orange juice, and zinc causes fatigue.

Vitamin K and B vitamins are synthesized by your body if you have a healthy and diverse gut microbiome, and if you're eating somewhat healthy you'll be able to meet your requirements regardless.

Get vitamin D from daily sunlight exposure, and take chelated magnesium to ensure that your body can store/utilize it, I prefer a malate and bisglycinate blend.

Focus on whole foods, great sleep, and minimize stress. Minimize or outright eliminate supplementation. Simple.

Last edited:

Peater Pan

@Peater Pan I take Swanson Triple Magnesium Complex, it's mostly Oxide 400mg and take it mid-meal at Dinner :):. if you don't it's too laxative. Oxide is the most absorbable IMO.
I have some Mg Glycinate from BulkSupps that seems pretty good though I haven't taken it regularly. I was taking like 125 mg w/each thyroid dose w/o GI problems. Probably should start again.

Peater Pan

Magnesium oxide truly is the best form, read this article, it explains it perfectly. Magnesium Oxide Delivers More Magnesium with Far Fewer Pills
I have taken 500mg magnesium oxide three times a day for months and never got ANY diarrhea. Magnesium oxide is cheap as fuuuug, you don't make money selling it, that is exactly why magnesium sales people don't like it. Selling shyt like ReMag you make the moolah, live in Hawaii and enjoy life.
How's Mg Glycinate?

redsun

I'm not convinced anything should be supplemented besides chelated magnesium and strain-specific proven probiotics from a trusted source. But even that is unnecessary, hence the word supplement.

Vitamin D3 depletes Vitamin A, B-complex causes weird dreams and irritability for me, vitamin C does nothing since I regularly drink orange juice, and zinc causes fatigue.

Vitamin K and B vitamins are synthesized by your body if you have a healthy and diverse gut microbiome, and if you're eating somewhat healthy you'll be able to meet your requirements regardless.

Get vitamin D from daily sunlight exposure, and take chelated magnesium to ensure that your body can store/utilize it, I prefer a malate and bisglycinate blend.

Focus on whole foods, great sleep, and minimize stress. Minimize or outright eliminate supplementation. Simple.

Many things improve and have improved for me and other because from supplementing things that I should not have a need for, say B-complex, large doses of niacinamide, folate. Actually its funny because I think magnesium is one of the minerals that most don't need to supplement, assuming the diet is correct. Its seriously overemphasized like vitamin D is imo in the mainstram. Never felt much except dazed probably from the NMDA antagonism. It is very calming I will say that, to the point it feels like I can barely think. So good for those with anxiety and the like. Not saying you are incorrect, just stating my perspective on magnesium.

Also about the B complex, it will increase acetylcholine, serotonin, histamine, dopamine, glutamate, and things like that so its generally very stimulating and if taken in the afternoon or at night will give vivid, lucid, and/or bizarre dreams and restless sleep. So its good to take early in the morning to avoid that.

Last edited:

DANIEL

Many things improve and have improved for me and other because from supplementing things that I should not have a need for, say B-complex, large doses of niacinamide, folate. Actually its funny because I think magnesium is one of the minerals that most don't need to supplement, assuming the diet is correct. Its seriously overemphasized like vitamin D is imo in the mainstram. Never felt much except dazed probably from the NMDA antagonism. It is very calming I will say that, to the point it feels like I can barely think. So good for those with anxiety and the like. Not saying you are incorrect, just stating my perspective on magnesium.

Also about the B complex, it will increase acetylcholine, serotonin, histamine, dopamine, glutamate, and things like that so its generally very stimulating and if taken in the afternoon or at night will give vivid, lucid, and/or bizarre dreams and restless sleep. So its good to take early in the morning to avoid that.

What form of magnesium did you take? The blend of 160 mg magnesium malate and 40 mg bisglycinate I take gives me energy.

I haven't heard much about magnesium from mainstream science, but I haven't been paying close attention. They mostly promote vitamin D3 and omega 3 supplements as far as I can tell.

And when I tried B-complex supplements from top brands, I did take them early in the morning and still got consistent nightmares 14 hours later nonetheless. Might be p5p or just the overall blend irritating the gut and increasing serotonin way too much. Unfortunately, it's difficult to tell if any brands have the correct ratio of the B vitamins while also not having harmful excipients.

I'm just gonna stick with this synbiotic supplement I bought which contains bacteria that locally synthesize folate and B12 unless I discover a better option.

Last edited:

redsun

What form of magnesium did you take? The blend of 160 mg magnesium malate and 40 mg bisglycinate I take gives me energy.

I haven't heard much about magnesium from mainstream science, but I haven't been paying close attention. They mostly promote vitamin D3 and omega 3 supplements as far as I can tell.

And when I tried B-complex supplements from top brands, I did take them early in the morning and still got consistent nightmares 14 hours later nonetheless. Might be p5p or just the overall blend irritating the gut and increasing serotonin way too much. Unfortunately, it's difficult to tell if any brands have the correct ratio of the B vitamins while also not having harmful excipients.

I'm just gonna stick with this synbiotic supplement I bought which contains bacteria that locally synthesize folate and B12 unless I discover a better option.

I used magnesium glycinate. I did get more physical energy, but it makes me sleepy and mental energy and ability to think beyond a basic level severely diminishes. Basically it feels like a half awake state. I am sure I could get used to it and neurotransmitter receptors do adjust in time to what you intake.

What were the doses like for B complex? For example, B50 and B100 doses are too much to take daily. B complexes that have about 5-10x the DV are good to take as they aren't overkill (which is why higher doses can more easily cause problems) and you can stop and start them. But high doses have lingering effects and if you take a B50+ daily you quickly get screwed up. Ratio is not important, but metric is the RDA multiplied. Having too much of any B is going to throw stuff off, so products that base off RDAs are best.

The P5P if it its in there is very strong. I remember taking 25mg P5P before bed and it gave me such hyper-realistic dreams I could not tell if it was a dream (I lucid dream almost nightly) because everything was just as vivid as real life.

Another thing to keep in mind is Bs will use up glycogen quicker. Nightmares can be caused by a drop in blood sugar. So having too many B-vitamins (which wipe out your glycogen faster then normal) can be a recipe with nightmares even if you eat plenty of carbs. This is why you take much lower doses which migitates it to a degree.

I am not saying you even need them, but I think, especially when you recently were very stressed for a period, Bs can help revitalize the nervous system as long as the doses are appropriate. But so many people unfortunately do not know just how much of a difference it makes and end up wasting money by B100 or are high dose complexes.

DANIEL

Vitamin B6 is known to cause bizarre dreams in higher doses.

Even 7 mg causes bizarre dreams, I think p5p builds up over time as well, even though people say it’s water soluble. Potent stuff!

I used magnesium glycinate. I did get more physical energy, but it makes me sleepy and mental energy and ability to think beyond a basic level severely diminishes. Basically it feels like a half awake state. I am sure I could get used to it and neurotransmitter receptors do adjust in time to what you intake.

What were the doses like for B complex? For example, B50 and B100 doses are too much to take daily. B complexes that have about 5-10x the DV are good to take as they aren't overkill (which is why higher doses can more easily cause problems) and you can stop and start them. But high doses have lingering effects and if you take a B50+ daily you quickly get screwed up. Ratio is not important, but metric is the RDA multiplied. Having too much of any B is going to throw stuff off, so products that base off RDAs are best.

The P5P if it its in there is very strong. I remember taking 25mg P5P before bed and it gave me such hyper-realistic dreams I could not tell if it was a dream (I lucid dream almost nightly) because everything was just as vivid as real life.

Another thing to keep in mind is Bs will use up glycogen quicker. Nightmares can be caused by a drop in blood sugar. So having too many B-vitamins (which wipe out your glycogen faster then normal) can be a recipe with nightmares even if you eat plenty of carbs. This is why you take much lower doses which migitates it to a degree.

I am not saying you even need them, but I think, especially when you recently were very stressed for a period, Bs can help revitalize the nervous system as long as the doses are appropriate. But so many people unfortunately do not know just how much of a difference it makes and end up wasting money by B100 or are high dose complexes.

Glycine does that to people taken by itself, sounds like it could have affected you in the same way. If you ever experiment again, try out malate or taurate.

I used this B complex blend from pure encapsulations. Very high doses indeed, no wonder I had problems with it.
AB938468-180D-4132-97CE-C2AB19AE267A.jpeg

Do you know of a clean brand I can get on Amazon that doesn’t have mega doses? I may experiment with taking the Bs again in the future.

boris

Thanks! I agree what RP said about carotenes but I have to disagree on the legumes. I have read a lot of studies about cooked legumes and their beneficial effect on gut health and longevity. Plus I do bodybuilding, I have to get lots of calories, I need at least 3200+ calories every day.

Legumes have other problems besides the estrogens. Very high phosphate and promotion of endotoxin.

Could you link those studies you mentionend?

Regarding your Vitamin D problem, what brand Vitamin D did you take? Supplements are known to be sometimes either contimanated from the production process or to have bad excipients.

T

TheBeard

B complex supplements are truly a god send.
The mental clarity I experience from them and the social interaction ease it brings are worth all the vivid dreams and restless sleep in the world.

redsun

Even 7 mg causes bizarre dreams, I think p5p builds up over time as well, even though people say it’s water soluble. Potent stuff!

Glycine does that to people taken by itself, sounds like it could have affected you in the same way. If you ever experiment again, try out malate or taurate.

I used this B complex blend from pure encapsulations. Very high doses indeed, no wonder I had problems with it.View attachment 20599

Do you know of a clean brand I can get on Amazon that doesn’t have mega doses? I may experiment with taking the Bs again in the future.

I think this one is much lower dose and the dose is divided into two pills. So if you take one you get half of the doses labeled which is much more appropriate.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-B-Comp...b2dDbGljaz10cnVl#immersive-view_1607363352635

There was another one that only had the DVs which is also good if you can find one like that I just cant remember what it was.

The one you posted does have high B1 and B6. Problem is if you take 100mg B1 daily it builds up. B1 is really excitatory, raises acetylcholine especially, and it takes a few days for just 100mg to leave your system. B6 is highish as well. About only half of your daily B6 intake gets excreted daily. So you can see how that also builds up.

Yeh I will make sure not to get glycine version next time. Maybe that was the problem.

DANIEL

I think this one is much lower dose and the dose is divided into two pills. So if you take one you get half of the doses labeled which is much more appropriate.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-B-Comp...b2dDbGljaz10cnVl#immersive-view_1607363352635

There was another one that only had the DVs which is also good if you can find one like that I just cant remember what it was.

The one you posted does have high B1 and B6. Problem is if you take 100mg B1 daily it builds up. B1 is really excitatory, raises acetylcholine especially, and it takes a few days for just 100mg to leave your system. B6 is highish as well. About only half of your daily B6 intake gets excreted daily. So you can see how that also builds up.

Yeh I will make sure not to get glycine version next time. Maybe that was the problem.

Thanks! Just bought the one you linked. Looks good, I'll experiment with 1 tablet every morning.

B complex supplements are truly a god send.
The mental clarity I experience from them and the social interaction ease it brings are worth all the vivid dreams and restless sleep in the world.

I saw your thread about them. Congrats about the T boost. Hopefully I can get similar results, lol!

DANIEL

So what's the general consensus on vitamin D3?

I'm in NY right now and debating whether or not I should supplement.

Ben.

EDIT: Daniels name causes error messages when editing my post :

I agree with basicly all of this ... BUT:

People here are having chronic health issues. From Thyroid, to hair loss, cold extremeties, tinnitus , chronic stress responses, eczema, fatigue etc.
Ideally we dont take supplements. Idealy we get enough sunlight on a regular basis. Idealy we have no enviromental man made endocrin disruptors in our food and water supply. Idealy we are only subjected to EMF a couple of times instead of 24/7 ....

The List goes on and on.

Vitamin D in combination with Vitamin B -complex allows me to have warm hands/feets for the majority of the day while also improving my sleep and bowel
movements (just take it first thing in the morning and it shouldnt cause issues with sleep at the end of the day. Try to take a b-complex that is not to highly dosed.

Taurin and Vitamin K2-MK4 have progressively improved my Tinnitus (and im sure i'll get rid of it)
Spore Probiotic, Raw Milk Colostrum, Bone Broth/Collagen hydrolysates have significantly improved my gut (still not ideal but we are getting there). Prebiotics seem to be even more effective than probiotics, which is what im experimenting with atm.

Topical Magnesium and Aloe Vera Gel have significantly improved my scalp and hair/beard quality.

Believe me i don't want to take any supplements for the life of me ... but i also want my life and health back. And having knoweledge and supplements up your sleeve for the occasional alcohol induced fun or a visit once a month at mcdonalds is great.

Don't take it

Why trowh out generalizations like that? There have been people noticing immense improvements with vit d. Others had the opposite expereince
With all things what doesn't work for one person doesnt mean it can't help another. If it would we wouldn't need this forum ...

Last edited:

Inaut

EDIT: Daniels name causes error messages when editing my post :

I agree with basicly all of this ... BUT:

People here are having chronic health issues. From Thyroid, to hair loss, cold extremeties, tinnitus , chronic stress responses, eczema, fatigue etc.
Ideally we dont take supplements. Idealy we get enough sunlight on a regular basis. Idealy we have no enviromental man made endocrin disruptors in our food and water supply. Idealy we are only subjected to EMF a couple of times instead of 24/7 ....

The List goes on and on.

Vitamin D in combination with Vitamin B -complex allows me to have warm hands/feets for the majority of the day while also improving my sleep and bowel
movements (just take it first thing in the morning and it shouldnt cause issues with sleep at the end of the day. Try to take a b-complex that is not to highly dosed.

Taurin and Vitamin K2-MK4 have progressively improved my Tinnitus (and im sure i'll get rid of it)
Spore Probiotic, Raw Milk Colostrum, Bone Broth/Collagen hydrolysates have significantly improved my gut (still not ideal but we are getting there). Prebiotics seem to be even more effective than probiotics, which is what im experimenting with atm.

Topical Magnesium and Aloe Vera Gel have significantly improved my scalp and hair/beard quality.

Believe me i don't want to take any supplements for the life of me ... but i also want my life and health back. And having knoweledge and supplements up your sleeve for the occasional alcohol induced fun or a visit once a month at mcdonalds is great.

Why trowh out generalizations like that? There have been people noticing immense improvements with vit d. Others had the opposite expereince
With all things what doesn't work for one person doesnt mean it can't help another. If it would we wouldn't need this forum ...

I support this message!

T

TheBeard

Why not? Is it not worth the potential downsides?

You asked for a general concensus.

The majority of people on this forum are against it, which is the definition of a concensus.

If what you wanted was a detailed answer with the details as to why you should or shouldn't take it, then don't ask for a concensus, read in detail every single experiment there is to find on here.

You understand why your question was irrelevant compared to what you were looking for now?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals