Skyhigh 25,OHD from D3 supplement

sunny

I used 4 to 6 drops of Thorne or Seeking Health topically thru the winter - so 4,000 to 6,000 units daily. My 25oh D lab value was only 30. I drink at least 48 ounces of ray milk daily. Calcium test was normal. I also used k2 topically daily. I rarely use any other supplements. I drink organic coffee in morning, 3 oranges daily, oysters weekly, liver about once a month, grass-fed beef a few times a week, 3 Prunes in morning for boron.

Jam

I made an interesting observation recently. This year my skin color as per end of April looks much more it normally would only look like end of August / September.
Very nice brown skin tone as if I would be tanning all the time which I am not doing. In fact the weather was really awful here (central Europe) until mid-April and I am in a quite dark office building Monday-Friday for the most part of the day. So I wonder if this is another side effect of my high Vitamin D supplementation throughout the winter (I only cut back recently from 30.000 IU daily to 2-3x a week).
Because of my high serum level the body darkens the skin to reduce Vitamin D conversion from the sun?
I had the same exact experience. After the first few weeks of supplementing 10-20,000IU daily, starting last fall, I acquired a late-spring type tan which endured all winter long. I have cut back to 5,000IU now as I am getting at least an hour of sun daily from gardening.

baccheion

I made an interesting observation recently. This year my skin color as per end of April looks much more it normally would only look like end of August / September.
Very nice brown skin tone as if I would be tanning all the time which I am not doing. In fact the weather was really awful here (central Europe) until mid-April and I am in a quite dark office building Monday-Friday for the most part of the day. So I wonder if this is another side effect of my high Vitamin D supplementation throughout the winter (I only cut back recently from 30.000 IU daily to 2-3x a week).
Because of my high serum level the body darkens the skin to reduce Vitamin D conversion from the sun?
Vitamin D lowers cortisol. See Addison's disease for an example effect. Further, sufficient vitamin D3 (and other nutrients) leaves the skin more likely to tan than burn. Are you taking K2 (100 mcg MK-7 and 1 mg MK-4 per 5,000-10,000 IU)?

Orome

Forum Supporter
I had the same exact experience. After the first few weeks of supplementing 10-20,000IU daily, starting last fall, I acquired a late-spring type tan which endured all winter long. I have cut back to 5,000IU now as I am getting at least an hour of sun daily from gardening.
Cool, thanks.
That's another benefit for me then. Normally I am more of a "pale" guy and was not used to getting compliments because of my suntan ;).

Orome

Forum Supporter
Vitamin D lowers cortisol. See Addison's disease for an example effect. Further, sufficient vitamin D3 (and other nutrients) leaves the skin more likely to tan than burn. Are you taking K2 (100 mcg MK-7 and 1 mg MK-4 per 5,000-10,000 IU)?
Yes, I am supplementing Vitamin K2 MK-7 ~300 μg/day (in liquid form). Plus I think I get a good amount from my diet. In addition I also supplement Zinc, Magnesium and Boron as per Jeff T. Bowles book.
I have read about the cortisol lowering effect of Vitamin D. But strangely in the few papers I have found it seems that a lot of people with Addison's are even deficient in Vitamin D:
Autoimmune Addison’s disease: new players in diagnosis and treatment
Vitamin D deficiency is frequently found in patients with Addison’s disease and should be corrected.
So, I don't think it is a contributing factor here.

As for the tanning: Now that you say it I haven't used sunscreen for quite some time and didn't have a sunburn either. Nice :):.

baccheion

Yes, I am supplementing Vitamin K2 MK-7 ~300 μg/day (in liquid form). Plus I think I get a good amount from my diet. In addition I also supplement Zinc, Magnesium and Boron as per Jeff T. Bowles book.
I have read about the cortisol lowering effect of Vitamin D. But strangely in the few papers I have found it seems that a lot of people with Addison's are even deficient in Vitamin D:
Autoimmune Addison’s disease: new players in diagnosis and treatment

So, I don't think it is a contributing factor here.

As for the tanning: Now that you say it I haven't used sunscreen for quite some time and didn't have a sunburn either. Nice :):.
I am referring to the tanning effect from Addison's to support the effect of lowered cortisol.

Orome

Forum Supporter
I am referring to the tanning effect from Addison's to support the effect of lowered cortisol.
Understood. Thanks for the clarification.

Very interesting that you brought up Addison's. Another chronic degenerative disease where Vitamin D deficiency could be involved. I have to read about this further.

But maybe I should add a disclaimer nonetheless: I do not advise to take high dose Vitamin D just because of aesthetics. I have other (health) reasons and was just wondering about this (not very unpleasant) side-effect.

aniciete

Do you take any k2 with your vitamin d?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals