I’m Not Convinced Vitamin D Should Be Supplemented

T

TheBeard

I doubt the e2 theory, but I'd like to hear how this turns out if you do go down that road. Most people aren't anywhere even close to a estradiol "deficiency." If supplementing T corrects this issue (like that person suggests) then it's probably due to low androgens. Are you carrying any extra bodyfat? Aromatase activity is always upregulated in overweight people. If you're even slightly overweight then it's probably not estradiol (provided you also haven't chemically induced this with AIs).

You seem to have a very definitive opinion on the matter for someone who isn't personnaly dealing with it.

I have naturally very high androgen levels and bordeline low estrogens, the only solution to which is transdermal testosterone.
So no, the diagnosis isn't "low androgen or nothing".
How do you know "most people aren't estrogen deficient"? You have precise stats?

Jessie

I mean, not really. I can't exactly have a definintive opinion until more information is given, including blood work. I am, however, highly skeptical of any sort of low estrogen theories. I'm open to being wrong, but I would be surprised if I was. I think PTH, vitamin D, calcium, and prolactin should all be checked first before moving to fringe ideas about e2. Does OP even know why you have e2 problems? You were using exemestane, I highly doubt vitamin D (even in high doses) would compare to such drugs regarding e2 suppression. I also don't need any stats to make the general claim overweight people have higher aromatase activity, it's common knowledge.

L

Lord Cola

Every time I try supplementing vitamin D, I start to feel dry and irritable within about three days. Usually I apply about 20000 IU on my skin, but have tried applying smaller amounts for a few consecutive days each time I adjusted the dosage.

RP seems to think the bad effects may be because of MCT (in an email conversation). He says in interviews that one needs to supplement high amounts for many days to overdose. I don't think these effects are because of MCT. I experienced similar effects with oral supplements of vitamin D in different oils.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think taking Vitamin D is a good idea, but something about taking it orally doesn't sit well with me. Probably because I know that no food source ever provided tens of thousands of units of Vitamin D - the only way you could get those amounts was through the skin.

I'd like to try a UV lamp and compare it to oral intake, but I don't know how safe those are.

What I noticed when I take it is less appetite, less bloating, better mood but also more brain fog and puffier nipples (like an estrogenic effect there). I feel the best at 10,000 IU per day. However after a few weeks of taking this (with K) my hips started hurting so bad that on my daily walk I had to call someone to pick me up because I couldn't walk anymore due to the pain. I can't confirm if it is definitely the D or something else until I eliminate things one by one.

serling78

That is particularly concerning, because it's suggestive of issues like hypercalcemia. I would recommend taking a strong calcium antagonist like magnesium with your vitamin D. Probably not at the same time, considering one is stimulating and the other is sedating, but definitely take them both in the same day.

I've been looking more into the hypercalcemia angle and it does seem possible. I do experience constipation, fatigue, frequent urination, loss of appetite, and some memory issues/brain fog. I'm skeptical by nature though and I realize symptoms like that could be attributed to many different things.

Going down the road of hypcercalcemia, are there any other things to try beyond increasing magnesium?

Jessie

I've been looking more into the hypercalcemia angle and it does seem possible. I do experience constipation, fatigue, frequent urination, loss of appetite, and some memory issues/brain fog. I'm skeptical by nature though and I realize symptoms like that could be attributed to many different things.

Going down the road of hypcercalcemia, are there any other things to try beyond increasing magnesium?
If you suspect hypercalcemia, I would really implore you to go get some bloodwork so you know for sure. Check your PTH, serum calcium, serum D, and prolactin.

I think magnesium is probably the most important factor, but vitamin A also plays a role in calcium metabolism. Peat has written about aspirin and baking soda being suitable candidates for correcting calcium displacement, possibly by increasing CO2 which enhances vitamin K's anti-calcium effect.

Cyproheptadine, famotidine, procaine, and lidocaine also have anti-calcium effects.

Again though, I'm unsure how effective these methods will be if you don't have enough magnesium. Magnesium is the central calcium antagonist, when you "replace" displaced calcium, it is magnesium that fills in for calcium resuming it's proper role, if you don't have enough magnesium then simply taking an bunch of calcium antagonists could be trivial.