Skyhigh 25,OHD from D3 supplement

Bogdar

Hey,

So I recently got results for vitamin D & calcium blood test, 25,OHD3 was measured
vitD.png hs

A bit of context, I made vit D bloodtests about twice a year, and I tried to get out from the deficiency range for so long; I tried sunbathing on a summer, and supplementing ~5K UI daily vit D for few months, to see my blood tests barely above 30 (it was 31 or smth), and then during winter with supp still it went down under 30 again.
However, I was really comitted to put those numbers up because Ray Peat himself told me to have my vit D high enough because of a blood problem I have which could degenerate into cancer otherwise, and because vit D benefits are EVERYWHERE lol, anabolic effects and stuff.

SO, for 2 years I failed pumping up my vit D, and I finally decided to go 1 step further and I did 25K UI daily for 1 month, and this is the result. :lol:

I am obviously stopping supplements, and I don't feel any negative effects at all, if anything I feel better but mainly because my daily life has improved / I take greater care of myself.
I measured my blood calcium which is 0.01 points above limit, but honestly everytime I measured it it was slightly above high end, even 5 years ago, and last PTH blood test came low end of the range.

Since I do feel good I'm not extremely worried, but it's worrisome tho, any suggestion / insights how to survive with these levels ? :fearful:
I wasn't expecting this AT ALL.

InChristAlone

That's great you feel good, means getting it up has improved your ability to self heal during sleep and normalize your gut microbiome which requires vitamin D. And Peat said vitamin D is parallel to thyroid. But over time a high vitamin D can cause pain issues. So you can just let it come down to a more normal number.

OP
Bogdar

Bogdar

That's great you feel good, means getting it up has improved your ability to self heal during sleep and normalize your gut microbiome which requires vitamin D. And Peat said vitamin D is parallel to thyroid. But over time a high vitamin D can cause pain issues. So you can just let it come down to a more normal number.
I mean I would have thought the same thing if I had 60-70ng/mL, but 192 holy cow ??!! Yeah I will do one test a month to monitor it until it goes down enough

Vanset

a few months of 5k iu daily kept u at 30, but 25k iu for a month skyrocketed you into almost 200, damn. thank you for this post. crazy how much of a difference the dosage made.

OP
Bogdar

Bogdar

a few months of 5k iu daily kept u at 30, but 25k iu for a month skyrocketed you into almost 200, damn. thank you for this post. crazy how much of a difference the dosage made.
yep, maybe like 32 or smth. Plus this summer I started going in the sun in the far end of the summer because work kept me inside, so I was ready to deal with low vit D once and for all.
I would have thought of something more linear after the 5K test. I imagined I needed so much because 5k wasn't enough and wanted a "highway". But it's not linear ! :lol:

Perry Staltic

Yowzer that's really high. It came up fast, now the question is how fast will it drop.

Shackles

I measured my blood calcium which is 0.01 points above limit, but honestly everytime I measured it it was slightly above high end, even 5 years ago, and last PTH blood test came low end of the range.
Anything happened to your scalp or hair which you would attribute to bumping up your d3 supplementation?

OP
Bogdar

Bogdar

what's the half life in the body? google tell me it's 15 days
Nice, I'll update the thread in a month after new bloodtest and I'll see how well it translates

Anything happened to your scalp or hair which you would attribute to bumping up your d3 supplementation?
Nothing, still nice hairs and no itch / recessing
Actually regarding hairs they started falling off a bit too much following a medical treatment, I got scared but it resolved eventually and still good with high D3

youngsinatra

Hey,

So I recently got results for vitamin D & calcium blood test, 25,OHD3 was measured
View attachment 31134hs

A bit of context, I made vit D bloodtests about twice a year, and I tried to get out from the deficiency range for so long; I tried sunbathing on a summer, and supplementing ~5K UI daily vit D for few months, to see my blood tests barely above 30 (it was 31 or smth), and then during winter with supp still it went down under 30 again.
However, I was really comitted to put those numbers up because Ray Peat himself told me to have my vit D high enough because of a blood problem I have which could degenerate into cancer otherwise, and because vit D benefits are EVERYWHERE lol, anabolic effects and stuff.

SO, for 2 years I failed pumping up my vit D, and I finally decided to go 1 step further and I did 25K UI daily for 1 month, and this is the result. :lol:

I am obviously stopping supplements, and I don't feel any negative effects at all, if anything I feel better but mainly because my daily life has improved / I take greater care of myself.

Since I do feel good I'm not extremely worried, but it's worrisome tho, any suggestion / insights how to survive with these levels ? :fearful:
Have you paused the supplementation for at least 3 days before the blood test? It’s even better to drop vitamin D for 5-7 days to see a clear test result. It can produce false high readings otherwise.

Have witnessed that error multiple times. ausually gets cut by half within one week of pausing vitamin D.

Vanset

Have you paused the supplementation for at least 3 days before the blood test? It’s even better to drop vitamin D for 5-7 days to see a clear test result. It can produce false high readings otherwise.

Have witnessed that error multiple times. ausually gets cut by half within one week of pausing vitamin D.
this makes sense, thanks for bringing thast up. didn't make a lot sense to me for such a huge difference to occur

OP
Bogdar

Bogdar

Oof, that's actually what I was hoping for !
I didn't cut supplementing before the bloodtests, so I guess and hope that it was measured in the acute phase of elevation before dropping and normalizing. That's what happened ! It might still be way too high eitherway but that's conforting

sweetpeat

Thank you for sharing. I feel like I could have written this post. I've been struggling to raise D levels as well. Taking up to 10k IU orally only gets me into the 30s. I've been hesitant to raise it more than that, but this past year I've been sick multiple times so I'm ready to try a more aggressive approach, inspired by your experience. I've already been taking 20k the last ten days because I was sick again(!), so I'm going to stay at that dose for the rest of the month and get tested after the first of the year, pausing the supps for a few days before testing as youngsinatra advises.

Vanset

Thank you for sharing. I feel like I could have written this post. I've been struggling to raise D levels as well. Taking up to 10k IU orally only gets me into the 30s. I've been hesitant to raise it more than that, but this past year I've been sick multiple times so I'm ready to try a more aggressive approach, inspired by your experience. I've already been taking 20k the last ten days because I was sick again(!), so I'm going to stay at that dose for the rest of the month and get tested after the first of the year, pausing the supps for a few days before testing as youngsinatra advises.
how long were u taking 10k iu for before u measured at 30~ ng/ml?

sweetpeat

how long were u taking 10k iu for before u measured at 30~ ng/ml?
About a month. Might not have been long enough? At the time, it was the middle of April and I decided to shift from supplements to sunshine and never went back on the 10k dose.

GTW

This suggests that Mg supplementation may reduce high D levels, increase low levels and compensate for imbalance.
>Magnesium supplementation increased the 25(OH)D3 concentration when baseline 25(OH)D concentrations were close to 30 ng/mL, but decreased it when baseline 25(OH)D was higher (from ∼30 to 50 ng/mL). Magnesium treatment significantly affected 24,25(OH)2D3 concentration when baseline 25(OH)D concentration was 50 ng/mL but not 30 ng/mL. On the other hand, magnesium treatment increased 25(OH)D2 as baseline 25(OH)D increased.Mg is essential in the metabolism of vitamin D, and taking large doses of vitamin D can induce severe depletion of Mg. Adequate magnesium supplementation should be considered as an important aspect of vitamin D therapy.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I have a similar experience with highs and lows but settled on 8000 iu daily.

Large daily doses can quickly bring the lab value up. But from experience with patients, very high lab values tend to plummet quickly when large intake stops. So stop, but recheck and get on a maintenance dose.

I too feel better with higher levels and higher intake.

The stopping before testing thought is an interesting one, but since daily supplementing is the current state of being, I think I will continue testing without stopping the supplementation. But now that is more of an philosophical issue

Mossy

I have a similar experience with highs and lows but settled on 8000 iu daily.

Large daily doses can quickly bring the lab value up. But from experience with patients, very high lab values tend to plummet quickly when large intake stops. So stop, but recheck and get on a maintenance dose.

I too feel better with higher levels and higher intake.

The stopping before testing thought is an interesting one, but since daily supplementing is the current state of being, I think I will continue testing without stopping the supplementation. But now that is more of an philosophical issue
I would be curious to know how you decided to settle on 8000 iu. I see in another thread you were taking 15000 iu. Was it simply a response to testing and you knew you could bring down the dose a bit, or was there a how you felt element to it? Thanks.

Mauritio

Hey,

View attachment 31134hs

Interesting. I also can't seem to bring my blood levels up.
I got my blood test back yesterday and its 27ng/dl. And I've been supplementing 2-3000IU/ day for like a year . So I'm going to increase it to 5000IU/ day and check again in 2 months.

I remember haidut talking about how even low doses of vitamin A could counteract the risks of high vitamin D doses .

Mauritio

Ray told me personally over email that stopping 1 day before a vitamin D test is enough.

So based on that, stopping 2 or 3 days before it should be more than enough .

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals