Hypothyroidism (Cortisol, Prolactin And Adrenal Hyperactivity) Causes Balding

Travis

.............so why do cortisol injections regrow hair and give people energy ?
[citation needed]

Topical hydrocortisone causes bald spots. Here is section from the FDA's page for hydrocortisone sodium succinate:

"ADVERSE REACTIONS The following adverse reactions have been reported with SOLU-CORTEF or other corticosteriods: Allergic reactions: Allergic or hypersensitivity reactions, anaphylactoid reaction, anaphylaxis, angioedema. Cardiovascular: Bradycardia, cardiac arrest, cardiac arrhythmias, cardiac enlargement, circulatory collapse, congestive heart failure, fat embolism, hypertension, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in premature infants, myocardial rupture following recent myocardial infarction (see WARNINGS), pulmonary edema, syncope, tachycardia, thromboembolism, thrombophlebitis, vasculitis. Dermatologic: Acne, allergic dermatitis, burning or tingling (especially in the perineal area, after intravenous injection), cutaneous and subcutaneous atrophy, dry scaly skin, ecchymoses and petechiae, edema, erythema, hyperpigmentation, hypopigmentation, impaired wound healing, increased sweating, rash, sterile abscess, striae, suppressed reactions to skin tests, thin fragile skin, thinning scalp hair, urticaria." ―FDA

It is even on the warning label for topical hydrocortisone.

Show me an actual scientific study where long-term use has caused hair growth.

Travis

Also found a powder of >98% wedelolactone but I can’t buy it for personal use.

Is the Eclipta alba herb enough? Seems very unlikely given it’s been around for a while and used for hair in trials before.

@Travis what say you?
It would be nice to buy it in it's crystalline form, but it's very expensive. You can see so for yourself by clicking here.

So the best way to get this molucule appears to be extracting it from the genus Elcipta, where it exists naturally in the highest amounts.

Enoxolone is cheaper and easier to find, and it strongly inhibits the cortisone ⟶ cortisol conversion through 11β-HSD₁.

Travis

.............so why do cortisol injections regrow hair and give people energy ?
[citation needed]

Do they really johnwester130?

Not according to the these four respondents on the website MedHelp.org:

Cortisone Injection=Worse Hair Loss?
howie05
I am a sufferer of traction alopecia, having maintained the damaging styles for about six consecutive months before cessation late last year, after having realized that I had lost a significant amount of hair as a result thereof.

I relatively recently (about three months ago) received cortisone injections at the sites of loss in hopes of hastening my regrowth. To the contrary, it actually appears that not only has it NOT aided in regrowth, but that I am losing more hair, faster. My already wide parts in the areas of loss are now twice as wide as they had been, and as I go to those areas to apply emu or rosemary oils, I am noticing that I inadvertently am pulling back my hand with a few hairs, (with bulb attached, meaning that they are surely not simply broken) each time-- not from all over, but just with concentrated loss in the already adversely affected areas. Can it be that the cortisone injections actually accelerated my loss?? And if so, is the loss permanent? And if it isn't permanent (fingers crossed), how long will it be before my hair returns...?
Feb 06, 2011

rose570111

When I was 17, I experienced a hormonal imbalance and the endocrinologist prescribed 10 mg of cortisone and after only 4 days my hair was falling out in handfulls. I immediately stopped the medication and my hair stopped falling out. Yes, I believe that cortisone whether taken internally or by a shot will definitely cause your hair to fall out. Don't ask a doctor who thinks he KNOWS everything. Obviously there may be an underlying medical condition, but the cortisone definitely interacts with whatever problems are underlying it and makes your hair fall out. Mine grew back because I stopped the drug immediately after the reaction. Doctors think they know everything and in fact, they do not, and if they removed their BIG egos and just admitted that they did not IN FACT, know everything, and they were honest in admitting so and LISTENED to what a patient is stating then, they in fact would LEARN something that they in fact are MISSING something that they need to look into further.
Rosemary
Apr 27, 2012

lizzybluts

I was involved in a car accident 2 years ago and suffered severe whiplash and spinal cord injuries. I received cortisone shots in my neck and scalp to help relieve the pain. For 7 months I had injections every 3 weeks.

I stopped the injections 6 months ago and I'm still losing hair. My hair has gotten so sparse I'm considering wearing a wig. I was told my hair will not grow back and the loss is from the injections (my pain management doctor told me the shots definitely caused the hair loss)

If you research cortisol levels, raised by taking cortisone by mouth or injection, you will find there are even more side effects than hair loss.
Aug 28, 2015

Megrae22

I started seeing a dermatologist after developing one little bald spot on the stop of my head. I was getting steroid injection directing into the spot for a few months with no improvement. The spot,only,got bigger. The last time I went for steroid injections the doctor did them all other my scalp instead of just in the bald spot. Within weeks I developed bald spots in all of the areas where he injected me. I also developed indents in all of these spots. Its been 4 months since the injections and I've had no regrowth, indents are still there and spots have slowly gotten bigger. Steroid injections can absolutely 100% cause hairloss.
Mar 31

These were the only four. There was no positive testimony on cortisol/cortisone injections. Apparently, this is used to turn-off an "autoimmune" condition in people with isolated bald spots and hardly even attempted in people suffering from the misnomeric condition of "androgenic alopecia"—since there are more expensive drugs for that one incorrectly.

The MedHelp.org lady responds with a straight-up lie:

Bhupinder Kaur, MD
blank.png

Hello,
Steroid injections do not cause any hair loss or permanent hair loss. In fact they are used for treatment of alopecia aertea. Sometimes, more hairs enter into the telogen phase at the same time and fall with obvious note by the person. At other times, it may be due hair disorder or some other underlying disease. So, the causes for excessive hair fall may be physiological or pathological and include hormonal changes, fungal infection, physical effects (traction, heat, chemicals), psychological & stress-related reasons, thyroid disorders, iron deficiency anemia, excessive intake of Vitamin A, hereditary reasons etc. I suggest you to take opinion of a Dermatologist who will do a methodical medical check-up and advice accordingly.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

A lie deftly contradicted by the sum testimony of howie05, Megrae22, rose570111, and lizzybluts.

Maybe she was confused? or had simply assumed that and so-called "treatment" always does what it's originally intended to do—despite the paradoxical historical uses of such drugs as diethylstilbestrol for conception—a drug which had done the exact opposite of its intended function.
I really wanted to believe you John, that cortisol could grow hair. But after considering this for about ½ second I had realized that you were probably just wrong.

Last edited:

Travis

what about these ?

Antimineralocorticoid - Wikipedia

and for god's sake can we stop reccomending Spironolactone for hair
But it's actually cheaper and easier to find than the other ones. Spironolactone has been around since the 70's, and is largely considered to be the classic antimineralcorticoid.

But obviously, people who want more expensive and harder to obtain drugs can also consider these:

Scenes

But it's actually cheaper and easier to find than the other ones. Spironolactone has been around since the 70's, and is largely considered to be the classic antimineralcorticoid.

But obviously, people who want more expensive and harder to obtain drugs can also consider these:

Surely you’re not actually recommending spiro to a male hairloss sufferer?

It’s been around forever and only grown hair at the expense of androgens. I understand you suggesting the mechanism behind it, but not promoting its use.

Would we expect similar estrogenic activity from wedelolactone or enoxolone?

Travis

Surely you’re not actually recommending spiro to a male hairloss sufferer?

It’s been around forever and only grown hair at the expense of androgens. I understand you suggesting the mechanism behind it, but not promoting its use.

Would we expect similar estrogenic activity from wedelolactone or enoxolone?
You don't think that spironolactone would give a person manboobs when used topically? do you?

I don't. I can find some some systemic steroid levels if you'd really like to see them, but I think you could easily predict no change in anything—besides perhaps more hair.

The newer ones are advertised as better. I'm not doubting this, but they are more expensive and harder to find. If a person actually would go through the trouble to buy eplerenone, than they'd probably be better off finding cyclospirine A. Nobody can deny that this is the most powerful hairgrowth drug ever found—with perhaps the lone exception of its cousin, FK-506, of course.

Scenes

You don't think that spironolactone would give a person manboobs when used topically? do you?

I don't. I can find some some systemic steroid levels if you'd really like to see them, but I think you could easily predict no change in anything—besides perhaps more hair.

No, I agree. However, I would’ve thought if high dose/concentration spiro was the cure for hair loss and regrowth we’d already know.

The issue in going higher is androgenic interference, but lower concentrations don’t do nearly enough to be even worth trying for most people on most hairloss forums these days.

That’s the main reason I say surely you’re not promoting spiro as one of your cures. If so, plenty of hairloss sufferers would say you’re wrong, based on first hand experience.

Travis

No, I agree. However, I would’ve thought if high dose/concentration spiro was the cure for hair loss and regrowth we’d already know.
How many people really know about cyclosporine A?
That’s the main reason I say surely you’re not promoting spiro as one of your cures. If so, plenty of hairloss sufferers would say you’re wrong, based on first hand experience.
Where are these people? Do you have a citation for these people?

There are plenty of doctors and subjects who'd agree with me, and disagree with you:
  • Adamopoulos, D. A., et al. "Beneficial effect of spironolactone on androgenic alopecia." Clinical endocrinology 47.6 (1997): 759-760.
"No marked changes in the endocrine parameters were observed as a result of treatment [...] This improvement was shown by a 50 to 62.9% decline in hair loss in the 4 patients,.." ―Adamopoulos​
It’s been around forever and only grown hair at the expense of androgens.
This is not true. Spironolactone has a higher affinity for the mineralcorticoid receptor—this is why it was designed, and this is why it works.

Last edited:

meatbag

How many people really know about cyclosporine A?
Where are these people? Do you have a citation for these people?

There are plenty of doctors and subjects who'd agree with me, and disagree with you:
  • Adamopoulos, D. A., et al. "Beneficial effect of spironolactone on androgenic alopecia." Clinical endocrinology 47.6 (1997): 759-760.
"No marked changes in the endocrine parameters were observed as a result of treatment [...] This improvement was shown by a 50 to 62.9% decline in hair loss in the 4 patients,.." ―Adamopoulos​
This is not true. Spironolactone has a higher affinity for the mineralcorticoid receptor—this is why it was designed, and this is why it works.

Very cool, I wonder about pregnenolone since it is a MR antagonist, following what your saying, which seems really valid, I wonder if we would expect topical pregnenolone to help;

Pregnenolone Is A Potent Aldosterone Antagonist (antimineralocorticoid)
thanks to haidut for that post

johnwester130

yes but people who regrow hair with spiro take on average about 3 years,

even the famous study of a bald man taking it , it took him about 5 years to regrow hair on spiro

Travis

yes but people who regrow hair with spiro take on average about 3 years,

even the famous study of a bald man taking it , it took him about 5 years to regrow hair on spiro
Not in the study that I had found.

Travis

aren't your recommendations a bit too extreme ?? these sound like dangerous drugs. spiro is notorious for causing gynecomastia
Again johnweaster130: Nobody takes anyone seriously who thinks that topical spironolactone will cause gynecomastia.

Travis

Last edited:

johnwester130

I keep pestering Dr. Peat. I swear I would ignore somebody if they kept email me like I'm doing him. He's been really kind. Anyway, I asked him this:

In light of those basic factors, what do you think are practical steps for someone to attempt this reversal?

He said,

I think a lot of experimenting is needed, for example with topical use of carbonic anhydrase inhibitors.

this is the only thing on the internet mentioning lactic acid and baldness

Hyperhidrosis and Lactic Acid Causing Hair Loss? - WRassman,M.D. BaldingBlog

New Evidences: Acidity Theory of Atherosclerosis: Stress, lactic acid, hypertension, atherosclerosis and hair loss

Best Way To Remove Lactic Acid From Serum & Muscle

https://www.biomethod.com/hair-loss-shann-christen-talks-hair-health-and-happiness/

Last edited:

johnwester130

I am so supposed to take ramblings from drug industry spooks seriously?

Find me just one study showing that spironolactone can even be detected in the blood as a result of topical application.

thoughts on the lactic acid theory and the b1 ray peat recommends ?

Travis

thoughts on the lactic acid theory and the b1 ray peat recommends ?
No. Do you have any thoughts on this article:
  • Rey, F. O., et al. "Lack of endocrine systemic side effects after topical application of spironolactone in man." Journal of endocrinological investigation 11.4 (1988): 273-278.
➫ "No changes in any levels of these hormones have been detected and plasma canrenone levels were undetectable during the 72 hours of topical treatment. Topically administered, spironolactone appears to have only a local skin impregnation." ―Rey​

That's the second time that I've pointed out one your intentionally-ridiculous statements. Would you like to see a third? I am almost certain that your comments are contrived for mockery—your comment history has examples of this going back over a year.

Last edited:

johnwester130

No. Do you have any thoughts on this article:
  • Rey, F. O., et al. "Lack of endocrine systemic side effects after topical application of spironolactone in man." Journal of endocrinological investigation 11.4 (1988): 273-278.
➫ "No changes in any levels of these hormones have been detected and plasma canrenone levels were undetectable during the 72 hours of topical treatment. Topically administered, spironolactone appears to have only a local skin impregnation." ―Rey​

That's the second time that I've pointed out one your intentionally-ridiculous statements. Would you like to see a third? I am almost certain that your comments are contrived for mockery—your comment history has examples of this going back over a year.

well at least he has a similar name to ray peat

Travis

You think F.O. Rey is similar to Raymond Peat?

I suppose then you wouldn't mind if I'd start calling you JohnPester130?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals