Hypothyroidism (Cortisol, Prolactin And Adrenal Hyperactivity) Causes Balding

aquaman

ray peat said:
I think a lot of experimenting is needed, for example with topical use of carbonic anhydrase inhibitors.

Interesting - topical administration of acetazolamide anyone?

DuggaDugga

Am I the only one in this thread who has had success following the recommendations made in Danny Roddy's work? Feels like this forum is slowly turning into your typical hair loss forum with people speculating (and a few actually experimenting) on poorly understood concoctions to rub on their scalp. There are no magic elixirs for hair growth. You've got to get your parathyroid/prolactin in check to reduce low grade inflammation and soft tissue calcification. You've got to increase thyroid function and efficient energy production. The benefits of doing this are not just hair either, it's mood, libido, life outlook, body composition, bone density, everything.

The only reason I bother to write this is because I know the pain of hair loss. I spent 5 years on hair loss forums arguing about everything from John's wort to RU while my hair continued to deteriorate to the point I had given up and buzzed my head. It wasn't productive for me, and I conjecture it won't be productive for anyone else, or we would have this whole thing figured out already. If you're really serious about keeping your hair, you've got to get serious about changing your life. You won't regret it.

DaveFoster

Am I the only one in this thread who has had success following the recommendations made in Danny Roddy's work? Feels like this forum is slowly turning into your typical hair loss forum with people speculating (and a few actually experimenting) on poorly understood concoctions to rub on their scalp. There are no magic elixirs for hair growth. You've got to get your parathyroid/prolactin in check to reduce low grade inflammation and soft tissue calcification. You've got to increase thyroid function and efficient energy production. The benefits of doing this are not just hair either, it's mood, libido, life outlook, body composition, bone density, everything.

The only reason I bother to write this is because I know the pain of hair loss. I spent 5 years on hair loss forums arguing about everything from John's wort to RU while my hair continued to deteriorate to the point I had given up and buzzed my head. It wasn't productive for me, and I conjecture it won't be productive for anyone else, or we would have this whole thing figured out already. If you're really serious about keeping your hair, you've got to get serious about changing your life. You won't regret it.
Were you dealing primarily with MPB at the time, and have you seen regrowth and movement forward of your hair line?

I've noticed that stress tends to accelerate MPB, and then a period of relatively low stress (even a couple days) will allow the hair to grow back somewhat, but it still continues to recede over the months.

DuggaDugga

Were you dealing primarily with MPB at the time, and have you seen regrowth and movement forward of your hair line?

I've noticed that stress tends to accelerate MPB, and then a period of relatively low stress (even a couple days) will allow the hair to grow back somewhat, but it still continues to recede over the months.

MPB was what was at the forefront of my health concerns, by a large margin. As I was in my early 20's when I first noticed it, I was especially sensitive to the social implications; for years it never occurred to me that it could be an indication systemic metabolic dysfunction. My dad is bald, so I figured it was my destiny, "in my genes".

My crown has filled back in entirely. Hairline has been creeping forward slowly. Whenever I go through a stint of poor eating, stress, etc., it's my hairline that weakens almost immediately it seems. I was listening to an interview with Danny Roddy where he describes his hair as a barometer of his overall health, and I can't think of a better way to describe my situation.

I agree with you regarding stress. Frequent, uncontrolled spikes in glucocorticoids, prolactin, estrogen, and parathyroid are more or less a death sentence for the hair follicles of the galea as far as I'm concerned. Mindfulness has done wonders for me, but it seems to be a topic a bit outside the scope of this forum so I rarely mention it.

I'm empathetic to anyone going through hair loss; I know how disheartening it is, how capable it is of consuming your attention full-time, how hopeless it can seem, how desperate it makes us for a simple cure. It bums me out to see this forum regressing to crazy supplements and experimental chemicals for hair loss. I've been there, done that, and don't think it's the answer. It didn't do anything for me except leave me frustrated, confused, and sick. I can't help but feel like I'm coming off a bit fanatical regarding Danny, but the man saved my hair so I'll keep trumpeting him if it means another person here can find what they're looking for.

DaveFoster

MPB was what was at the forefront of my health concerns, by a large margin. As I was in my early 20's when I first noticed it, I was especially sensitive to the social implications; for years it never occurred to me that it could be an indication systemic metabolic dysfunction. My dad is bald, so I figured it was my destiny, "in my genes".

My crown has filled back in entirely. Hairline has been creeping forward slowly. Whenever I go through a stint of poor eating, stress, etc., it's my hairline that weakens almost immediately it seems. I was listening to an interview with Danny Roddy where he describes his hair as a barometer of his overall health, and I can't think of a better way to describe my situation.

I agree with you regarding stress. Frequent, uncontrolled spikes in glucocorticoids, prolactin, estrogen, and parathyroid are more or less a death sentence for the hair follicles of the galea as far as I'm concerned. Mindfulness has done wonders for me, but it seems to be a topic a bit outside the scope of this forum so I rarely mention it.

I'm empathetic to anyone going through hair loss; I know how disheartening it is, how capable it is of consuming your attention full-time, how hopeless it can seem, how desperate it makes us for a simple cure. It bums me out to see this forum regressing to crazy supplements and experimental chemicals for hair loss. I've been there, done that, and don't think it's the answer. It didn't do anything for me except leave me frustrated, confused, and sick. I can't help but feel like I'm coming off a bit fanatical regarding Danny, but the man saved my hair so I'll keep trumpeting him if it means another person here can find what they're looking for.
Very inspiring post, thanks for the reply. I just listened to that video with Danny Roddy in an interview with two other women, also health gurus.

Mindfulness seems much easier (and completely natural) when one keeps inflammation low, for example. It's almost as if there's an amalgamation of consciousness and a lack thereof, where one simultaneously immerses himself in the moment, but also retains a superior degree of executive function. I suppose this would be a healthy orienting reflex that Dr. Peat mentions in his writings.

PhilParma

@DaveFoster, do you have MPB? Aren't you early 20's? If a very young person who Peats as hard as you has MPB then I might have to convert to the "it's all genetics" school of thought...

DaveFoster

@DaveFoster, do you have MPB? Aren't you early 20's? If a very young person who Peats as hard as you has MPB then I might have to convert to the "it's all genetics" school of thought...
That really doesn't say anything. It's the rationalist equivalent of the God of the Gaps, and epigenetic influences complicate genetics further. I've had hypothyroidism my whole life (at least as early as early childhood), as my mother had chronic inflammation and hypothyroidism for her whole life, including when she had me in her uterus. She probably smoked and drank while pregnant as well. She eventually developed multiple sclerosis in her late forties and died soon thereafter, so she hardly offered a model of a healthy mother.

PhilParma

That really doesn't say anything. It's the rationalist equivalent of the God of the Gaps, and epigenetic influences complicate genetics further. I've had hypothyroidism my whole life (at least as early as early childhood), as my mother had chronic inflammation and hypothyroidism for her whole life, including when she had me in her uterus. She probably smoked and drank while pregnant as well. She eventually developed multiple sclerosis in her late forties and died soon thereafter, so she hardly offered a model of a healthy mother.

Good points. I'm no genetic determinist; I guess it's just amazing how we all have to climb different sized hills.

DuggaDugga

Mindfulness seems much easier (and completely natural) when one keeps inflammation low, for example. It's almost as if there's an amalgamation of consciousness and a lack thereof, where one simultaneously immerses himself in the moment, but also retains a superior degree of executive function. I suppose this would be a healthy orienting reflex that Dr. Peat mentions in his writings.

I totally agree with you. The separatist view of mind and body is slowly eroding in the West- very slowly. How we think influences our physiology (we can literally think ourselves to high glucocorticoids, insulin resistance, decreased respiration, increased blood pressure, etc.). That's part of the give-and-take of being a human and having such an advanced prefrontal cortex. We have the ability to ruminate on the past and worry about the future. In the other direction, surely toxicities and deficiencies influence our brain chemistry.

Travis

Feels like this forum is slowly turning into your typical hair loss forum with people speculating (and a few actually experimenting) on poorly understood concoctions to rub on their scalp.
No speculation required. There have been thousands of studies published on this—all you have to do is read them.
You've got to get your parathyroid/prolactin in check to reduce low grade inflammation and soft tissue calcification.
[?]
The only reason I bother to write this is because I know the pain of hair loss. I spent 5 years on hair loss forums arguing about everything from John's wort to RU while my hair continued to deteriorate to the point I had given up and buzzed my head.
That's because you didn't figure it out.
It wasn't productive for me, and I conjecture it won't be productive for anyone else, or we would have this whole thing figured out already.
Some people do have this all figured-out.

Travis

johnwester130

So Ray Peat agrees that it's cortisol too?

I didn't know that, and had come to the same conclusion independently.

so topical b1 could work ? it's a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor and is safe and normal to use unlike some substances

"Cortisol is not the only adrenal hormone affected by low thiamin status. In a study also done in rats, rats with thiamin deficiency had a decreased aldosterone response to low sodium levels(10). Aldosterone is the chief mineralocorticoid responsible for regulating electrolyte balance in the body. When sodium levels become low, aldosterone is secreted to recycle sodium back in to the blood and dump potassium out via the urine.

Many of the symptoms associated with adrenal fatigue are due to an electrolyte imbalance, an issue I discussed here. Having a decreased ability to regulate electrolyte balance will lead to a worsening of symptoms associated with adrenal fatigue
."

Last edited:

Travis

so topical b1 could work ? it's a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor and is safe and normal to use unlike some substances

"Cortisol is not the only adrenal hormone affected by low thiamin status. In a study also done in rats, rats with thiamin deficiency had a decreased aldosterone response to low sodium levels(10). Aldosterone is the chief mineralocorticoid responsible for regulating electrolyte balance in the body. When sodium levels become low, aldosterone is secreted to recycle sodium back in to the blood and dump potassium out via the urine.

Many of the symptoms associated with adrenal fatigue are due to an electrolyte imbalance, an issue I discussed here. Having a decreased ability to regulate electrolyte balance will lead to a worsening of symptoms associated with adrenal fatigue
."
Thiamine always seems good, and can be used internally.

I think all B-vitamins are good except form maybe niacinamide, at times, since it removes methyl groups from the body. Carbon dioxide and anhydrase regulate metabolism and pH, which could influence the direction in which 11β-HSD₁ is going; remember that this is a bidirectional enzyme—converting cortisone into cortisol and vice versa depending on the NADH/NAD⁺ ratio.

I think thiamine could influence the NADH/NAD⁺.

Broken man

Thiamine always seems good, and can be used internally.

I think all B-vitamins are good except form maybe niacinamide, at times, since it removes methyl groups from the body. Carbon dioxide and anhydrase regulate metabolism and pH, which could influence the direction in which 11β-HSD₁ is going; remember that this is a bidirectional enzyme—converting cortisone into cortisol and vice versa depending on the NADH/NAD⁺ ratio.

I think thiamine could influence the NADH/NAD⁺.
I am just curious, so do you think that taking niacinamide could be counterproductive when I am trying to increase my metabolism? And about thiamine, I read that absorption of this vitamin is influenced by stomach acid, so if I know that I have thiamine deficiency and low stomach acid, taking thiamine with zinc and HCL could help restore thiamine level? Am I right?

Scenes

No speculation required. There have been thousands of studies published on this—all you have to do is read them.
[?]That's because you didn't figure it out. Some people do have this all figured-out.

So @Travis what do you propose as a practical solution?

Apologies if I missed it somewhere.

Travis

I am just curious, so do you think that taking niacinamide could be counterproductive when I am trying to increase my metabolism? And about thiamine, I read that absorption of this vitamin is influenced by stomach acid, so if I know that I have thiamine deficiency and low stomach acid, taking thiamine with zinc and HCL could help restore thiamine level? Am I right?
I think niacinamide should certainly increase metabolism, both by becoming NADH and by removing methyl groups. I was surprised to see how fast radio-labeled niacin became NADH in the cell, it was incorporated in the brain as such within two hours after injection. This certainly seems to be an energy molecule (probably why it's always, always in energy drinks) but it can raise both serotonin and homocysteine. These are things to keep in mind, and homocysteine are in part determined by methionine intake (and serotonin determined by tryptophan.)

I think it can make people too wigged-out, but also make some people more alert and better-off in general. It would seem as though the methylation and serotonin status of the user is just as important as anything.
So @Travis what do you propose as a practical solution?
I just did some reading just now on the downstream mechanisms—the ones after cortisol and aldosterone activation. A main player appears to be TGF-β₁, which shut's off the anagen phase of the hair cylcle. The genetic mice which over-express this, or it's receptor, have the same bald skin as mineralcorticoid hyperexpressed mice: It is shiny and has no pores. Aldosterone has been shown to upregulate TGF-β₁ about threefold, and skin is the other natural target for mineralcorticoid activity; sodium excretion needs to be regulated in the skin as well—through the sweat.

It almost looks like an evolutionary mechanism to prevent mineral loss through the skin, and aquatic animals in saline water would certainly need such a device. Why cortisol activates the mineralcorticoid receptor could be somewhat accidental, but it has much to do with 11β-HSD₁ expression (which DHT actually upregulates slightly, so there's a link there.) At the moment, the cell signal downstream of even TGF-β₁ appears to be prostaglandin E₂—linking oleuropein and inflammation in with mineralcorticoid pathway.

And I found what appears to be the best natural mineralcorticoid inhibitor. It is called wedelolactone and it's found in Eclipta species. It has been shown to both lower blood pressure and grow hair in nude mice, just what you'd expect from an anti-mineralcorticoid. This is safe internally.

The ones safe only topically are spironolactone (mineralcorticoid receptor inhibitor) and enoxolone (11β-HSD₁ inhibitor). Cyclosporine A is impossible to find and I'm really starting to question the standard mechanism for how this works. It's a really big molecule, a cyclic protein, and I'm getting the feeling that it actually inhibits TGF-β₁ directly—perhaps by binding to its cell membrane receptors.

I think oleuropein might end-up on the list by inhibiting the intracellular signalling cascade downstream of 11β-HSD₁. This would be convenient, if true, because it would tie everything together neatly.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals