How To Lose Fat (and What Not To Do)

javacody

So I've tried this Peat thing a few times. I've lost lots of weight on a low carb diet and on a PSMF. I realized that I royally screwed my metabolism.

And because of stress and insulin resistance, (and Matt Stone's eat for heat), I'm back to weighing more than I did when I began.

After listening to @haidut's interview about fat loss with Danny Roddy, I realized that I needed to fix fatty liver first and foremost. So I did some potato hacking and then moved to a McDougal-ish high starch diet for about a month total (with a weekly cheat day).

During that time I had some SEVERE cold feelings. I actually woke up shivering one night and could barely move my jaw.

Anyway, I feel like my metabolism has healed somewhat from this and I'm ready to try peating again. But with a very low fat diet.

Here's my plan:

Food:
skim milk
OJ (+ a little pineapple + a little cherry juices, I know that pineapple can be an issue, I'm only drinking a few ounces of it for the enzymes).
Fat free cottage cheese
1 real sugar soda a day (today is Pepsi 1893 with Kola nut)
Shredded carrots and/or bamboo shoots
San pellegrino carbonated mineral water
Occasional potatoes and bowl of bran flakes (not optimal I know, but I like it as an occasional treat)
instant coffee (made with skim milk + collagen + honey)

Supplements:
methylene blue (oxidal)
coenzyme B complex caps
l-carnitine
choline
vitamin K2

I'm avoiding aspirin and niacinamide for now.

I've read so much about all different kinds of anti estrogen substances and about anti seratonin substances. It's honestly pretty overwhelming.

So what should I add? What should I avoid?

I'm thinking about taking Clindamycin for a week to clean up potential gut issues. What do you all think about that?

Pointless

Carnitine and choline are not Peaty supplements. Carnitine increase fatty acid oxidation, and choline is excitatory for the parasympathetic nervous system. You may want to use them temporarily for "fat burning" and clearing out your liver. Though burning fat has its risks because it releases PUFAs into the bloodstream. Burning fat is not Peat recommended, so I hope you understand the risks. Vitamin E can be protective against this.

Coenzymated B complexes can have PABA in them which blocks the thyroid. Most B complexes mess me up. I take a quarter dose of Energin twice a day, myself.

With the vitamin K2, make sure you take a lot. 1-2 mg never did anything for my liver, but 12 mg daily and my gallbladder is actually moving again (no small feat). I use the Health Natura brand.

OP
J

javacody

Carnitine and choline are not Peaty supplements. Carnitine increase fatty acid oxidation, and choline is excitatory for the parasympathetic nervous system. You may want to use them temporarily for "fat burning" and clearing out your liver. Though burning fat has its risks because it releases PUFAs into the bloodstream. Burning fat is not Peat recommended, so I hope you understand the risks. Vitamin E can be protective against this.

Coenzymated B complexes can have PABA in them which blocks the thyroid. Most B complexes mess me up. I take a quarter dose of Energin twice a day, myself.

With the vitamin K2, make sure you take a lot. 1-2 mg never did anything for my liver, but 12 mg daily and my gallbladder is actually moving again (no small feat). I use the Health Natura brand.

Dang it! the B complex does have PABA in it. Looks like that's going in the garbage.

I bought the choline and carnitine for their effects on clearing out fatty liver. And for the fact that people who were on a fat reducing diet lost more fat with that combo than with placebo. Choline by itself can prevent liver damage from drinking alcohol (not that I am going to, but it's something that has studies behind it and milk thistle never did anything for me).

I need to lose over 100 pounds. So my goal is get the fat off as fast as possible while hopefully not tanking my metabolism too much.

I'll up my dose of K2. Thanks for that tip!!! I'm using Thorne right now. I need to get some more.

Maretch

I always had a rule to lose fat doesn't mean to eat nothing, eat everything but with moderation, and it will be ok. If there is a lot to lose, just cut off sweets, bread, and bad fats, include more vegetables, less fruits, as it contains sugar, and instead of this start to use vitamin supplements! There is nothing new, and i think that you have already heard about this! Good luck!

OP
J

javacody

I always had a rule to lose fat doesn't mean to eat nothing, eat everything but with moderation, and it will be ok. If there is a lot to lose, just cut off sweets, bread, and bad fats, include more vegetables, less fruits, as it contains sugar, and instead of this start to use vitamin supplements! There is nothing new, and i think that you have already heard about this! Good luck!

Thanks for commenting. But this is a Ray Peat forum. So I'm going to try what has worked for others to lose weight in similar situations to mine in a Peat inspired fashion.

If you knew anything about Ray Peat, you'd know that cutting out fruits is the exact opposite of what he talks about.

During that time I had some SEVERE cold feelings. I actually woke up shivering one night and could barely move my jaw.

This is from your potato bender...and sounds VERY TYPICAL of serotonin being raised from the fiber feeding gut microbes/endotoxic metabolic burden. In my opinion, you might be (are) one of the Unfortunate Ones.....squarely in the NO STARCH CAMP.....especially if fat loss is your goal.

What should I avoid?

Starch....and bran flakes.

So my goal is get the fat off as fast as possible while hopefully not tanking my metabolism too much.

Do you take thyroid meds?

If you knew anything about Ray Peat, you'd know that cutting out fruits is the exact opposite of what he talks about.

Amen, bro.

Adrenaline can also be released due to endotoxin influx.

THIS......and poorly regulated blood sugar will do it too......can I get another Amen???

OP
J

javacody

Well, I wasn't peeling my potatoes and I was eating them without fat.

Both are mistakes.

I think I'd do fine with peeled potatoes with some coconut oil.

The bran flakes I have twice per week as a treat and I'm getting plenty of collagen and OJ in to help my gut handle it better.

I do need to be better about eating my carrots or bamboo shoots, though. I don't like either one.

OP
J

javacody

I can drink a quart of OJ with no blood sugar issues now. And it doesn't make me cold to drink that much, so I feel like I'm on the right track.

What's really wild is how helpful collagen, shrimp, and OJ are.

My cuticles have improved massively from this in just a week.

Bravo!!!

Sounds like you're well on your way:clap:

Oh, and salt is really helpful too.

p.s. I can't stomach the bamboo shoots either.....*dry heaves*

Peater Piper

I can drink a quart of OJ with no blood sugar issues now. And it doesn't make me cold to drink that much, so I feel like I'm on the right track.

What's really wild is how helpful collagen, shrimp, and OJ are.
Nice! You're doing a quart of OJ at one meal? How much collagen with it?

tomisonbottom

So your digestion improved with K2? Interesting.

What kind of symptoms did you have and now how is it different? Thanks

Morning Star

Protips for fat loss and general well-being while following a restrictive dietary template. Keep protein intake quite high, certainly above 100 g a day. Milk , if well tolerated is your friend and should be consumed frequently and liberally as It will ensure you obtain adequate protein as well as a host of vitamins and minerals. Your main energy source however should be jasmine rice, 3 bowls a day, a half cup or so at a time. Eat to approximate satiation, but so as not to stuff yourself. To your rice add a few cap fulls of maple syrup, as it provides zinc, and manganese. Top it off with a a dusting of Ceylon cinnamon. Salt to taste with canning salt. forget the fancy spring water and drink RO. Pulp free OJ is crucial, probably best to taper down through the course of the day though. A few cups should be fine. Drink strong coffee with milk and honey, or maple syrup, take your pick. Try nicotine if you can reap if benefits while not succumbing to its addictive properties. Supplement some molybdenum as your diet will invariably be deficient in this trace element. Begin strength training, heavy compound, multi-joint lifts like the squat, the dead-lift, the bench Press, Rows, pullovers, dips, , pull-ups, pull downs, the overhead press. This will drastically increase your natural production of testosterone, permitting you sustain more muscle while reducing bodyfat. Concurrently, the reduction in body fat, will lessen the opportunities for aromatase to covert that T into estrogen. So try it out, it has worked wonders for me.

OP
J

javacody

Nice! You're doing a quart of OJ at one meal? How much collagen with it?

Yes. I don't put any collagen in it yet, but I'm planning on starting.

I get most of my collagen in my coffee. I make my coffee with skim milk instead of water and add in two heaping teaspoons of collagen along with 1 teaspoon of honey per 20 ounce cup. I usually have 2 of these per day.

I would like to double this amount of collagen.

OP
J

javacody

Bravo!!!

Sounds like you're well on your way:clap:

Oh, and salt is really helpful too.

p.s. I can't stomach the bamboo shoots either.....*dry heaves*

I need more salt. When I have my potatoes and cheese, I salt it pretty heavily (I'll make hash browns with onions and green peppers in a tiny bit of coconut oil and top with some fat free shredded cheddar and some brewers yeast).

OP
J

javacody

Protips for fat loss and general well-being while following a restrictive dietary template. Keep protein intake quite high, certainly above 100 g a day. Milk , if well tolerated is your friend and should be consumed frequently and liberally as It will ensure you obtain adequate protein as well as a host of vitamins and minerals. Your main energy source however should be jasmine rice, 3 bowls a day, a half cup or so at a time. Eat to approximate satiation, but so as not to stuff yourself. To your rice add a few cap fulls of maple syrup, as it provides zinc, and manganese. Top it off with a a dusting of Ceylon cinnamon. Salt to taste with canning salt. forget the fancy spring water and drink RO. Pulp free OJ is crucial, probably best to taper down through the course of the day though. A few cups should be fine. Drink strong coffee with milk and honey, or maple syrup, take your pick. Try nicotine if you can reap if benefits while not succumbing to its addictive properties. Supplement some molybdenum as your diet will invariably be deficient in this trace element. Begin strength training, heavy compound, multi-joint lifts like the squat, the dead-lift, the bench Press, Rows, pullovers, dips, , pull-ups, pull downs, the overhead press. This will drastically increase your natural production of testosterone, permitting you sustain more muscle while reducing bodyfat. Concurrently, the reduction in body fat, will lessen the opportunities for aromatase to covert that T into estrogen. So try it out, it has worked wonders for me.

I like my San Pellegrino or Gerolsteiner. Good source of carbon dioxide and minerals. I probably drink 2 750 ml bottles per day.

Why do you recommend jasmine rice?

James_001

Try having some discipline. Peating for a month shouldn't do anything, try two years and then come back and post here, maybe four if your really overweight. There is no quick fix....

natedawggh

So I've tried this Peat thing a few times. I've lost lots of weight on a low carb diet and on a PSMF. I realized that I royally screwed my metabolism.

And because of stress and insulin resistance, (and Matt Stone's eat for heat), I'm back to weighing more than I did when I began.

After listening to @haidut's interview about fat loss with Danny Roddy, I realized that I needed to fix fatty liver first and foremost. So I did some potato hacking and then moved to a McDougal-ish high starch diet for about a month total (with a weekly cheat day).

Anyway, I feel like my metabolism has healed somewhat from this and I'm ready to try peating again. But with a very low fat diet.

Here's my plan:

Food:
skim milk
OJ (+ a little pineapple + a little cherry juices, I know that pineapple can be an issue, I'm only drinking a few ounces of it for the enzymes).
Fat free cottage cheese
1 real sugar soda a day (today is Pepsi 1893 with Kola nut)
Shredded carrots and/or bamboo shoots
San pellegrino carbonated mineral water
Occasional potatoes and bowl of bran flakes (not optimal I know, but I like it as an occasional treat)
instant coffee (made with skim milk + collagen + honey)

Supplements:
methylene blue (oxidal)
coenzyme B complex caps
l-carnitine
choline
vitamin K2

I'm avoiding aspirin and niacinamide for now.

I've read so much about all different kinds of anti estrogen substances and about anti seratonin substances. It's honestly pretty overwhelming.

So what should I add? What should I avoid?

I'm thinking about taking Clindamycin for a week to clean up potential gut issues. What do you all think about that?
The best way to heal a fatty liver is with butter. It is not caused by fat but by the type of fat. Butter (and dairy fat) reverses a host of metabolic diseases. To lose weight cut out all or most starch (potatoes are okay in moderation) increase dairy fat and dairy consumption (for calcium as well), sodium, and vitamin D.
The Truth About Fat
Up The Down StairMaster
And you may have some high iron issues as well. Meds can help but cilantro is a cheap and effective way to lower it, and B1 and Taurine too. Also importantly continue to eat a variety of foods.

OP
J

javacody

Try having some discipline. Peating for a month shouldn't do anything, try two years and then come back and post here, maybe four if your really overweight. There is no quick fix....

Have you ever been obese?

OP
J

javacody

The best way to heal a fatty liver is with butter. It is not caused by fat but by the type of fat. Butter (and dairy fat) reverses a host of metabolic diseases. To lose weight cut out all or most starch (potatoes are okay in moderation) increase dairy fat and dairy consumption (for calcium as well), sodium, and vitamin D.
The Truth About Fat
Up The Down StairMaster
And you may have some high iron issues as well. Meds can help but cilantro is a cheap and effective way to lower it, and B1 and Taurine too. Also importantly continue to eat a variety of foods.

I actually did a few weeks on a very high cream diet. Maybe that helped with my liver function as well.

I'm avoiding fat because the fat you eat is pretty much the fat you store. I don't mind if I end up burning some of my stored pufa.

I need to lose over 100 pounds. Waiting for my body to "detox" what is likely 50 pounds of stored pufa is not really an option.

So I need to get it out of my body with the most minimal thyroid damage possible and as soon as possible. (thinking supplemental zinc might be helpful here)

Do you all know of anyone who has gone from obese to normal weight following Peat eating principles?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals