Attempt To Lose Fat Safely With Saturated Fat From Coconuts

DrJ

About 5 months ago, I moved from the Bay area to a town in Arizona of relatively higher altitude to escape the nanny state, enjoy a lower cost of living with correspondingly more disposable income, have more space to pursue my passions (building stuff), and get more sunshine - which I've found to be a major factor on my mood. The relocation did not go smoothly and I ended up living out of a hotel room for about a month with no kitchen, and despite eating lots of cheese and milk when I could, I mostly had to eat convenience food, and I gained a lot of weight. I'm not sure I "had to" really, but the stress of the move and new job wrecked my mental state for a while and I lost my discipline for a bit. I went from a pretty lean 167lb that could wear 31" waist pants with plenty of room to spare, to 192lb that could barely squeeze into 32" waist pants. I'm 5'10", so not crazy overweight, but not where I wanted to be. I somehow gained 25lb very quickly :(

I got moved into a place, and got back to my regular diet. I felt much better, but my weight would not reduce. An interesting thing that I've noticed and that tells me I'm on a good track diet-wise is that, even at heavier weights, when on a Peat-ish diet I get nice "side dimples" on my stomach that have an attractive look even at a few extra pounds, where as when I'm not - even when I'm (much) lower weight - the stomach doesn't have these dimples and looks bloated. It was one of the first things I noticed on a peat-y diet that made me think all the anti-inflammation talk had some truth to it. I regained this state, but was still heavier than I wanted to be.

So after many months of being on the heavier side, I decided I wanted to get back down to my old weight. The only problem is how does one lose fat safely? If you preferentially burn saturated fats and thus accumulate PUFA, and calorie deficit leads to a high level of circulating free-fatty acids (FFAs) which suppress thyroid, is generally stressful to the body, and Ray says is estrogenic, how do you do it? I don't know, but am happy to hear from those more informed than myself. Having previously done 2 years of intermittent fasting which absolutely wrecked my metabolism and led to some serious health problems despite making me very lean, I did not want to repeat that strategy.

A clear answer is to lose the fat slowly. I'm fine with that as I'm not in a rush. However, I would really like to understand more deeply how the fat-loss process works. That lipolysis is stressful I understand, but is all fat loss through lipolysis? For example, as far as my reading informs, fat is only stored in the presence of cortisol and/or insulin. If one can avoid high cortisol and high insulin, then what does the body do with fat? Must it not have some way to get rid of it? Do you just increase the amount of FFAs if you don't have high cortisol and insulin? I don't know and can't find answers. I doubt you do because low cortisol and low insulin should be a healthy state, so I would not expect high FFAs, but perhaps I'm wrong.

What I could find is that at least some fat is actually excreted through the lungs. Also, fat must also be excreted through the intestine since it stimulates bile flow. Why does it go one way or another? Again I don't know, but I take it that dietary fat goes through the intestine, while endogenously-produced or stored fat is a wild card to me. Is it lungs, intestine, both?

In any case, Ray's writing on coconut oil made me think it could be a possibility for weight loss, so I decided to try it seriously. I found a coconut milk with no gums (like guar gum). It is 2g carbohydrate, and 14g fat of which 12g is saturated per serving. One can is 5 servings, so 60g saturated fat of which I assume to be the same profile as coconut oil - high in medium-chain-length triglycerides. I began replacing my evening meal with 1 can coconut milk (so 60g saturated fat from coconut milk), 8oz orange juice, 30g casein protein (to provide protein I would otherwise miss from this meal), 2.5g glycine, and 0.1g taurine in a shake. By my reckoning, this is an iso-caloric replacement to my normal daily calorie intake. The glycine and taurine I was previously taking in the evening but combined for convenience. I otherwise take 16oz whole milk and 12oz orange juice for breakfast. I snack on gelatin-based fruit snacks throughout the day as I'm hungry, but end up consuming about the same amount of boxes per week. For lunch, I take a soup I make from broth, cream, well boiled potatoes, and some sausage or sometimes leaner meats, as well as some cheese. Those things have not changed. On the weekends, I eat 2 eggs per day, lots of milk and orange juice, one can of smoked oysters and 2oz liver over the weekend, and then a BCAA (15g) shake per day, and one cheat meal socially.

In now 3 weeks of doing this, I have lost 7 lbs - down to 185lb. I can easily fluctuate in weight by 1.5 lb in a day, but the reading I have been relying on is taken every morning so should be consistent over the longer time scale. I can almost fit into my 31" waist pants.

My understanding is that 2lb+ weight loss per week (expected 8lb+/month) is fairly dramatic. Especially considering I am not eating less calories. In a previous post in another thread, I think I reasoned wrong about calorie deficit. I may be at a calorie deficit if the saturated fat in coconut milk is significantly raising my metabolism.

Am I losing it safely? How would one know? What I can say is that my mood is much different than when I lost weight through intermittent fasting. After my evening high-saturated fat (coconut milk) meal I feel really amazing. I have been working on building a very sophisticated website most evenings, and the problems feel entertainingly challenging, not defeatingly challenging, and I have been making good progress. I can mentally organize the challenges and then come up with a plan to address them without difficulty, and really without consciously thinking about it. My body temp gets very high and I feel hot for about 3 hours. I become very socially outgoing and engage in and drive social interactions, which has not typically been my demeanor. Overall, I feel relaxed and calm, but ready - if that makes sense. I assume that if I was being dominated by the symptoms of FFAs in the blood, I would not feel this way. I expect I would feel stressed. Hopefully I am not wrong there.

So, I think it's working. Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it catches up to where I am now. Thanks to @managing for the suggestion. I will continue to update on my (presumptive) weight loss progress up to my target weight. I just found another brand of no-gum coconut milk that is $0.30 cheaper per can, so will be trying it this week. Hopefully there will be no difference.

Broken man

Improving insulin sensitivity and using taurine and vitamin E helped me with my abdominal fat.

Jem Oz

Very interesting. Do you track calories? If so, can you throw some numbers at us? And do you do any formal exercise?

Good on you for making the move. The sun exploded in my part of the world today, ushering in a long, hot glorious summer. I lay under it for 20 minutes and it's restored me.

managing

About 5 months ago, I moved from the Bay area to a town in Arizona of relatively higher altitude to escape the nanny state, enjoy a lower cost of living with correspondingly more disposable income, have more space to pursue my passions (building stuff), and get more sunshine - which I've found to be a major factor on my mood. The relocation did not go smoothly and I ended up living out of a hotel room for about a month with no kitchen, and despite eating lots of cheese and milk when I could, I mostly had to eat convenience food, and I gained a lot of weight. I'm not sure I "had to" really, but the stress of the move and new job wrecked my mental state for a while and I lost my discipline for a bit. I went from a pretty lean 167lb that could wear 31" waist pants with plenty of room to spare, to 192lb that could barely squeeze into 32" waist pants. I'm 5'10", so not crazy overweight, but not where I wanted to be. I somehow gained 25lb very quickly :(

I got moved into a place, and got back to my regular diet. I felt much better, but my weight would not reduce. An interesting thing that I've noticed and that tells me I'm on a good track diet-wise is that, even at heavier weights, when on a Peat-ish diet I get nice "side dimples" on my stomach that have an attractive look even at a few extra pounds, where as when I'm not - even when I'm (much) lower weight - the stomach doesn't have these dimples and looks bloated. It was one of the first things I noticed on a peat-y diet that made me think all the anti-inflammation talk had some truth to it. I regained this state, but was still heavier than I wanted to be.

So after many months of being on the heavier side, I decided I wanted to get back down to my old weight. The only problem is how does one lose fat safely? If you preferentially burn saturated fats and thus accumulate PUFA, and calorie deficit leads to a high level of circulating free-fatty acids (FFAs) which suppress thyroid, is generally stressful to the body, and Ray says is estrogenic, how do you do it? I don't know, but am happy to hear from those more informed than myself. Having previously done 2 years of intermittent fasting which absolutely wrecked my metabolism and led to some serious health problems despite making me very lean, I did not want to repeat that strategy.

A clear answer is to lose the fat slowly. I'm fine with that as I'm not in a rush. However, I would really like to understand more deeply how the fat-loss process works. That lipolysis is stressful I understand, but is all fat loss through lipolysis? For example, as far as my reading informs, fat is only stored in the presence of cortisol and/or insulin. If one can avoid high cortisol and high insulin, then what does the body do with fat? Must it not have some way to get rid of it? Do you just increase the amount of FFAs if you don't have high cortisol and insulin? I don't know and can't find answers. I doubt you do because low cortisol and low insulin should be a healthy state, so I would not expect high FFAs, but perhaps I'm wrong.

What I could find is that at least some fat is actually excreted through the lungs. Also, fat must also be excreted through the intestine since it stimulates bile flow. Why does it go one way or another? Again I don't know, but I take it that dietary fat goes through the intestine, while endogenously-produced or stored fat is a wild card to me. Is it lungs, intestine, both?

In any case, Ray's writing on coconut oil made me think it could be a possibility for weight loss, so I decided to try it seriously. I found a coconut milk with no gums (like guar gum). It is 2g carbohydrate, and 14g fat of which 12g is saturated per serving. One can is 5 servings, so 60g saturated fat of which I assume to be the same profile as coconut oil - high in medium-chain-length triglycerides. I began replacing my evening meal with 1 can coconut milk (so 60g saturated fat from coconut milk), 8oz orange juice, 30g casein protein (to provide protein I would otherwise miss from this meal), 2.5g glycine, and 0.1g taurine in a shake. By my reckoning, this is an iso-caloric replacement to my normal daily calorie intake. The glycine and taurine I was previously taking in the evening but combined for convenience. I otherwise take 16oz whole milk and 12oz orange juice for breakfast. I snack on gelatin-based fruit snacks throughout the day as I'm hungry, but end up consuming about the same amount of boxes per week. For lunch, I take a soup I make from broth, cream, well boiled potatoes, and some sausage or sometimes leaner meats, as well as some cheese. Those things have not changed. On the weekends, I eat 2 eggs per day, lots of milk and orange juice, one can of smoked oysters and 2oz liver over the weekend, and then a BCAA (15g) shake per day, and one cheat meal socially.

In now 3 weeks of doing this, I have lost 7 lbs - down to 185lb. I can easily fluctuate in weight by 1.5 lb in a day, but the reading I have been relying on is taken every morning so should be consistent over the longer time scale. I can almost fit into my 31" waist pants.

My understanding is that 2lb+ weight loss per week (expected 8lb+/month) is fairly dramatic. Especially considering I am not eating less calories. In a previous post in another thread, I think I reasoned wrong about calorie deficit. I may be at a calorie deficit if the saturated fat in coconut milk is significantly raising my metabolism.

Am I losing it safely? How would one know? What I can say is that my mood is much different than when I lost weight through intermittent fasting. After my evening high-saturated fat (coconut milk) meal I feel really amazing. I have been working on building a very sophisticated website most evenings, and the problems feel entertainingly challenging, not defeatingly challenging, and I have been making good progress. I can mentally organize the challenges and then come up with a plan to address them without difficulty, and really without consciously thinking about it. My body temp gets very high and I feel hot for about 3 hours. I become very socially outgoing and engage in and drive social interactions, which has not typically been my demeanor. Overall, I feel relaxed and calm, but ready - if that makes sense. I assume that if I was being dominated by the symptoms of FFAs in the blood, I would not feel this way. I expect I would feel stressed. Hopefully I am not wrong there.

So, I think it's working. Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it catches up to where I am now. Thanks to @managing for the suggestion. I will continue to update on my (presumptive) weight loss progress up to my target weight. I just found another brand of no-gum coconut milk that is $0.30 cheaper per can, so will be trying it this week. Hopefully there will be no difference.
This is great DJ. I'll be following. Just remember, if you post updates and nobody replies, it doesn't mean we are not reading . It may culminate in a later reply.

Broken man

Care to expand?
I have not written on Peatarian.com as I find the site to be highly argumentative. I supposed there is some value in arguing about this, but my goal is not to argue - it is to find the truth for myself. I trust what read and experiment with more than anybody's argument, even Peat's. I will look at studies posted by other people but I find it very often that the person with a strong argument has some sort of vested interest to convince others that he/she is right. All studies I have seen say, and I have confirmed through my own blood tests, that lipogenesis from carbs is not a practical issue for most people. That seems to be true for me. However, carbs can and do become an issue for people with fatty livers. I have not answered for myself if it is best to just force through the fat burning period to get the liver lean and then refeed on proper carbs and moderate saturated fat, or if it is better to keep loading up on carbs (and block lipolysis) and hope the liver with get rid of the PUFA and excess fat through glucoronidation after several years like Peat suggests. Each method has its pros and cons and it will likely be a unique experience for each person. I think moderate fat burning is probably fine for most people. Even babies burn fat when they are born, but it is indeed saturated fat. I am not sure I agree fully with Peat that it takes 4 years to get rid of PUFA. The study on monkey I posted says all PUFA can be depleted with just 30 days of fat free meals. So, in the more realistic scenario of a person on this forum eating mostly saturated fat and some PUFA, it will probably take several months to a year but nowhere close to the 4 years Peat is quoting. If you have decent vitamin E stores, I don't see a need to block lipolysis completely by aspirin and niacinamide since the free fatty acids in the blood will get saturated and should pose less danger. There are tons of studies showing vitamin E fully prevents harmful lipid peroxidation due to exercise. Taurine has been shown to do the same. I have lost most of my extra weight I gained on Peat by stopping niacinamide and aspirin, avoiding PUFA whenever possible, keeping vitamin E levels close to the upper normal range in labs, keeping protein normal (80g-100g), and not really restricting sugar except making sure I consume no starch like bread, rice, potatoes, etc. It actually worked quite easily and it took about 3 months to drop the 30 extra pounds I had, and the only exercise I do is walk several miles a day at a slow pace and do pushups 3 times a week. Not exactly a hardcore exercise schedule.
In terms of supplements, I am taking vitamin B1, B2, and B6 for mitochondrial health and sugar control. I also take my fat soluble vitamins K, A, D, E and I consume 8g-16g of Knox gelatin (2 Knox packets) with every meal as it has been shown to prevent weight gain on high sugar diet.
This does not mean that my formula will work for everybody. But at least you can control hyperglycemia with thiamine and I will post a separate thread on that later today. If you can control hyperglycemia, then insulin resistance should not be an issue even according to the Peatarian people whom I have seen argue that repeated insulin spikes is what causes insulin resistance.
I'd say keep doing what you feel works for you and there are any general guidelines those would be to avoid the PUFA, keep protein intake high (but make sure you get come gelatin with it), and try to consume most of your sugar as fruit. If know you have blood sugar issues, take thiamine 300mg with every meal. For some people the dosage may be higher and like I said I will post a separate thread on that later.

OP
DrJ

DrJ

Updating after another week of doing this. I am down to 183.8lb, so didn't quite keep up my 2lb/wk loss rate. The cheaper coconut milk (but still with not gums) I tried one can of had a weird consistency that I probably should have avoided. It gave me digestive problems. Maybe that caused some interruption. I will go another week and update.

@Jem Oz I substituted this into a diet I had calculated to average 2400cal/day and the substitution should have left it the same, but now with much more saturated fat and less carbs. I lift weights 2x/week, go bouldering at the rock climbing gym once per week, go hiking in the mountains once per week, and walk the dog daily.

Jem Oz

Thanks for the info. Your situation sounds really similar to me - I'm trying to lose weight, eating about same calories as you, doing similar levels of activity. Only difference is I'm trying out a very low fat experiment. Will be interesting to compare results. If my plan doesn't work out, I'll definitely be giving the coconut oil a spin.

managing

Thanks for the info. Your situation sounds really similar to me - I'm trying to lose weight, eating about same calories as you, doing similar levels of activity. Only difference is I'm trying out a very low fat experiment. Will be interesting to compare results. If my plan doesn't work out, I'll definitely be giving the coconut oil a spin.
Guys, this is an awesome opportunity to compare experiences. I'd like to impose as much on your goodwill as possible by asking you to both keep updating this thread with your experiences as often as possible.

managing

Hey @DrJ : How did this work out for you? Did you continue losing weight?

Peater

@DrJ How did yo get on?

Also I am confused that haidut said he stopped aspirin and niacinamide to help weight loss.

tasfarelel

I didn't dive deep into the topic of blocking/reducing fatty acid oxidation, but I understood that aspirin and niacinamide can modulate certay pathways used to break down fats to energy.

But it's not a straightforward effect and not complete. I am right now using an (almost) fat free diet with 2g Aspirin/day and 1g Niacinamide/day and loosing bodyfat just as expected in relationship to how much I eat.

Peater

I didn't dive deep into the topic of blocking/reducing fatty acid oxidation, but I understood that aspirin and niacinamide can modulate certay pathways used to break down fats to energy.

But it's not a straightforward effect and not complete. I am right now using an (almost) fat free diet with 2g Aspirin/day and 1g Niacinamide/day and loosing bodyfat just as expected in relationship to how much I eat.
That's great thanks I also take an aspirin and nibble on niacinamide through out the day if i remember!

OP
DrJ

DrJ

I continued this until I got down to 177lb. But after a while this diet didn't feel great. Coconut milk has quite a bit of long-chain fatty acids so I would guess I was exhausting my carnitine.

Peater

I continued this until I got down to 177lb. But after a while this diet didn't feel great. Coconut milk has quite a bit of long-chain fatty acids so I would guess I was exhausting my carnitine.

Very interesting, thanks for the update. I had no idea LCFA could do that.

Dr. B

@DrJ How did yo get on?

Also I am confused that haidut said he stopped aspirin and niacinamide to help weight loss.
Haidut said that but later went back on his word i believe, and said something else caused the fat gain.

Also niacinamide definitely appears safer than aspirin… i dont think they work the same… i dont think niacinamide inhibits fatty acid oxidation as much as aspirin does… i think there’s numerous online articles saying niacinamide actually promotes fat loss. Of course that doesnt mean it directly has to burn fat but rather just that it increases metabolism so the net effect from using it is fat loss. It definitely appears safer than aspirin… i seem to be able to use 500mg twice a day with no issues.

Its safer and seems to have a lot more benefits than aspirin… i know it is also an antioxidant. But its effects go far far beyond just a fatty acid oxidation inhibitor.. i dont think niacinamides main function even has to do with fatty acid oxidation inhibition… and dont think it even has a particularly strong effect on that.

From what I remember, aspirin actually has a bit of a pro catabolic effect… due to increasing AMPK or whatever it does. Niacinamide on the other hand can actually facilitate muscle growth… i think there was a thread on here saying it stopped muscle breakdown and sarcopenia or something.

Ive seen posts lumping aspirin and niacinamide in the same category but IMO they shouldn’t be… seem to have many different effects to them.

Peater

Haidut said that but later went back on his word i believe, and said something else caused the fat gain.

Also niacinamide definitely appears safer than aspirin… i dont think they work the same… i dont think niacinamide inhibits fatty acid oxidation as much as aspirin does… i think there’s numerous online articles saying niacinamide actually promotes fat loss. Of course that doesnt mean it directly has to burn fat but rather just that it increases metabolism so the net effect from using it is fat loss. It definitely appears safer than aspirin… i seem to be able to use 500mg twice a day with no issues.

Its safer and seems to have a lot more benefits than aspirin… i know it is also an antioxidant. But its effects go far far beyond just a fatty acid oxidation inhibitor.. i dont think niacinamides main function even has to do with fatty acid oxidation inhibition… and dont think it even has a particularly strong effect on that.

From what I remember, aspirin actually has a bit of a pro catabolic effect… due to increasing AMPK or whatever it does. Niacinamide on the other hand can actually facilitate muscle growth… i think there was a thread on here saying it stopped muscle breakdown and sarcopenia or something.

Ive seen posts lumping aspirin and niacinamide in the same category but IMO they shouldn’t be… seem to have many different effects to them.

That's very interesting thanks!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals