How to recover from junk food binge and continue to lose fat

mangolife

Through a series of increasingly bad decisions, I've ended up eating around 3,500-4,000 calories today, mainly from things like cookies and chips. I'm kicking myself because I'm attempting to lose weight, and these binges seem to happen far too often. I'm obese body fat percentage wise, and although I am fairly fit, I would like to lose 40lbs overall, and ideally 10 or so as soon as possible, for vanity reasons.

Essentially, I'd like some scrutiny in diet and lifestyle, and advice on how to do tomorrow about these "refeeds". Do I go under my calories to make up, or shall I ignore it and move on? My stomach is twisting in anxiety thinking about this, which I know is asinine, but I can only really feel actualised when I hit my kcal goal, and see my waist shrinking.

Usual diet:
Breakfast - eggs + OJ/yogurt, fruit and OJ/Oatmeal/Milk and OJ, coffee (with milk and sugar)
Lunch - fruit, juice, coffee, milk/0% fat cottege cheese with overripe bananas
Dinner - Lamb/seafood/beef with potatoes

Snack - dark chocolate, fruit, milk, ice cream (irregularly) rice cakes, gouda cheese

Exercise: 2-3x per week heavy lifting. cycle 20 minutes in total. 30 minutes of walking every day.

Stats: 5'5" 18 year old female, 184lbs.

sctb

Briefly consider potential causes: eating too little, stress, etc.
but then relax and move on.

Best of luck!

Scott

OP
M

mangolife

sctb said:
Briefly consider potential causes: eating too little, stress, etc.
but then relax and move on.

Best of luck!

Scott

Thanks Scott. I think it's likely stress, as college is intense at the moment, and I have some pretty important exams in the coming week.

That all being said, is it wise to restrict calories to make up for today, or pretend today never happened, in terms of food intake?

pboy

whether you want to lose or gain weight, never restrict cabohydrates. Basically limit fat regardless, keep it to a reasonable amount. If you have low glycogen (sugar stores, carb stores) which your body uses in a 24 hour cycle, you increase cortisol which leads to water retention and it lowers your thyroid hormone, positive female hormones, and positive mood chemicals. That's why excersize a lot of times is detrimental...you have to be very steady and intelligent in your program, basically carb up before it, don't hit point of cortisol (glycogen depletion) and re carb up soon after...as you increase whatever, strength or endurance, you eat a lil more and work out a little longer/harder. Trying to use excersize as a catabolic tool is actually counter to how the body actually works, you'll lose muscle and gain water weight and feel like ***t if you excersize while having no/low sugar

Pretend today never happened.

If I were you, for a few weeks I would:

Stop all weight lifting and cardio exercise. Continue eating Peat friendly carbohydrates until I feel full, reduce fat intake to less than 10% of total calories and keep protein at around 80-100 grams.

That's your baseline. Once you're comfortable with that, reintroduce weight lifting to build muscle which will increase your calorie requirements that will be provided for by stored fat.

Overall, to lose excess fat the goal is to increase energy expenditure via things like caffeine and extra muscle mass.

OP
M

mangolife

pboy said:
whether you want to lose or gain weight, never restrict cabohydrates. Basically limit fat regardless, keep it to a reasonable amount. If you have low glycogen (sugar stores, carb stores) which your body uses in a 24 hour cycle, you increase cortisol which leads to water retention and it lowers your thyroid hormone, positive female hormones, and positive mood chemicals. That's why excersize a lot of times is detrimental...you have to be very steady and intelligent in your program, basically carb up before it, don't hit point of cortisol (glycogen depletion) and re carb up soon after...as you increase whatever, strength or endurance, you eat a lil more and work out a little longer/harder. Trying to use excersize as a catabolic tool is actually counter to how the body actually works, you'll lose muscle and gain water weight and feel like s*** if you excersize while having no/low sugar

Thanks pboy. I can cut fat easily if I use less oils and dark chocolate etc. I will have eggs every other day, for the sake of iodine and various other minerals. Eating fruit is easy, I could probably never stop. (of course, i shall be reasonable :P )
cantstoppeating said:
Pretend today never happened

Thank you for the advice. I drink a lot of coffee, sleep a fair bit, and if I can reduce stress and manage to get CICO correct, I should be okay in losing a sufficient amount of fat, correct?

Apologies if these questions are somewhat juvenile, but I've been overweight the majority of my life, been on multiple diets etc and just want to look like a normal, healthy teenager, a one who doesn't have to worry abotu food constantly.

mangolife said:
cantstoppeating said:
Pretend today never happened

Thank you for the advice. I drink a lot of coffee, sleep a fair bit, and if I can reduce stress and manage to get CICO correct, I should be okay in losing a sufficient amount of fat, correct?

Apologies if these questions are somewhat juvenile, but I've been overweight the majority of my life, been on multiple diets etc and just want to look like a normal, healthy teenager, a one who doesn't have to worry abotu food constantly.

To get CICO correct, you don't do it by counting your caloric intake and reducing it; you do it by taking enough calories your appetite calls for and by focusing on expending more by using caffeine and other uncouplers as well as by increasing muscle mass (which apparently burns fat at rest).

EIRE24

To get CICO correct, you don't do it by counting your caloric intake and reducing it; you do it by taking enough calories your appetite calls for and by focusing on expending more by using caffeine and other uncouplers as well as by increasing muscle mass (which apparently burns fat at rest).[/quote]

Interesting. What are the uncouplers? I think the OP should definitely focus on keeping carb intake high in the form of easily digested sources. I myself find dried fruit very helpful mainly dates. Make sure you do not under eat as this will only lead to more problems down the road. Best of luck

BobbyDukes

I went on a date recently, and had to sit through a Mexican meal, soaked in grease and oil. Following the first course (and feeling nauseaus), when she said 'do you want desert?', I thought she was winding me up (because, to me, what we had just eaten was beyond disgusting). But no, she wanted desert. So we finished it off with some kind of greasy tart. I felt sick. But sat through it anyway. Painfully smiling (grimacing???) with each bite (not in a weird way).

It must have been at least 30g of PUFA, I guess (just a rough estimate).

Since starting Peat, my tolerance for fast food has completely gone. Just one meal of insult is Iike being attacked by someone who wants to do me harm. A horrible experience. I banged 3 casuals of Swanson super gamma strength E caps (whatever they're called, lol) as soon as I got in my car to take her back home. I woke up the following day feeling ok. I honestly don't know how people can eat that ***t.

EIRE24

BobbyDukes said:
I went on a date recently, and had to sit through a Mexican meal, soaked in grease and oil. Following the first course (and feeling nauseaus), when she said 'do you want desert?', I thought she was winding me up (because, to me, what we had just eaten was beyond disgusting). But no, she wanted desert. So we finished it off with some kind of greasy tart. I felt sick. But sat through it anyway. Painfully smiling (grimacing???) with each bite (not in a weird way).

It must have been at least 30g of PUFA, I guess (just a rough estimate).

Since starting Peat, my tolerance for fast food has completely gone. Just one meal of insult is Iike being attacked by someone who wants to do me harm. A horrible experience. I banged 3 casuals of Swanson super gamma strength E caps (whatever they're called, lol) as soon as I got in my car to take her back home. I woke up the following day feeling ok. I honestly don't know how people can eat that s***.

You need to find yourself better women my friend haha. All jokes aside, I know how you feel. The quality of food now a days is scandalous and people think it is the norm. I pity what the next generation will have to eat and how sick they will be.