How To Lose Fat (and What Not To Do)

natedawggh

I actually did a few weeks on a very high cream diet. Maybe that helped with my liver function as well.

I'm avoiding fat because the fat you eat is pretty much the fat you store. I don't mind if I end up burning some of my stored pufa.

I need to lose over 100 pounds. Waiting for my body to "detox" what is likely 50 pounds of stored pufa is not really an option.

So I need to get it out of my body with the most minimal thyroid damage possible and as soon as possible. (thinking supplemental zinc might be helpful here)

Do you all know of anyone who has gone from obese to normal weight following Peat eating principles?

Well I lost 50 lbs. is that enough to convince you? :) that's what that article was I included with my last post.

Yes zinc can help, just don't overdo it. Zinc isn't a specific weight loss tool. Incidentally shrimp is great for weight loss. Just cook it in butter and drink coffee with it to the bind iron.

High-butter isn't a passive "detox" technique. It's actually very active. I lost 50 lbs in 8 months, and it would have been faster if I'd taken more. It's active because the fats in butter stimulate the metabolism and stabilize local thyroid function, and in turn incorporate those fats into cellular structure as the increased metabolic rate increases cell turnover rate, healing damage faster and faster. It will be exactly as effective as you keep butter/dairy/coconut oil higher in ratio to sources of PUFA.

This is also not an Atkins type strategy. Fruits, veggies and sugar should still be an important part of the diet. Just avoid grains and PUFAS.

OP
J

javacody

Well I lost 50 lbs. is that enough to convince you? :) that's what that article was I included with my last post.

Yes zinc can help, just don't overdo it. Zinc isn't a specific weight loss tool. Incidentally shrimp is great for weight loss. Just cook it in butter and drink coffee with it to the bind iron.

High-butter isn't a passive "detox" technique. It's actually very active. I lost 50 lbs in 8 months, and it would have been faster if I'd taken more. It's active because the fats in butter stimulate the metabolism, and in turn incorporate those fats into cellular structure as the increased metabolic rate increases cell turnover rate, healing damage faster and faster. It will be exactly as effective as you keep butter/dairy/coconut oil higher in ratio to sources or PUFA.

What would you say your fat to carb to protein ratio would be for weight loss?

Yes, 50lbs is nothing to sneeze at and I would consider that proof that you are onto something.

And congratulations!

natedawggh

What would you say your fat to carb to protein ratio would be for weight loss?

Yes, 50lbs is nothing to sneeze at and I would consider that proof that you are onto something.

And congratulations!
Thanks. Oh god it was so nice to finally get well. Btw there is one major caveat. If you drink alcohol this will not help really at all. Alcohol is basically an exotoxin and stimulates the liver to produce huge amounts of triglycerides. I was a big drinker and had to get help quitting before I experienced any increase in my health, especially weight loss.

Don't worry about your carb/protein ratio. It's more important to just keep blood sugar up, eat before you get hungry, at least 50 grams of protein a day (but shooting for 75-100 will help). Just keep dairy fat high and consistent. At every meal if possible. The specific ratios of the different macros isn't as important as is the type of each, in my experience. Sometimes I only have milk with added cream for lunch (I add cream to milk to replace whats been taken out), sometimes I have it with fruit, as I feel like.

tomisonbottom

The best way to heal a fatty liver is with butter. It is not caused by fat but by the type of fat. Butter (and dairy fat) reverses a host of metabolic diseases. To lose weight cut out all or most starch (potatoes are okay in moderation) increase dairy fat and dairy consumption (for calcium as well), sodium, and vitamin D.
The Truth About Fat
Up The Down StairMaster
And you may have some high iron issues as well. Meds can help but cilantro is a cheap and effective way to lower it, and B1 and Taurine too. Also importantly continue to eat a variety of foods.

Do you know what your blood levels said for iron saturation were before and after you lost weight? The results I got back for mine said 13 on a scale of 15-50, so of course my doctor said it was low and thought my fatigue was due to low iron. Also when I went to give blood, they said my iron saturation was too low to give. Is that how low you got it to lose weight?

natedawggh

Do you know what your blood levels said for iron saturation were before and after you lost weight? The results I got back for mine said 13 on a scale of 15-50, so of course my doctor said it was low and thought my fatigue was due to low iron. Also when I went to give blood, they said my iron saturation was too low to give. Is that how low you got it to lose weight?

I don't--my tests were so long ago I don't remember the actual numbers. But blood iron is a poor indicator of total iron stores. It rarely reflects the actual tissue concentration of iron, and more diseased organs will hold more iron than others which are more healthy (specifically tissues high in estrogen). Symptoms of high tissue iron would be dull skin, premature graying, and obesity. If you truly have low iron consider yourself lucky, as it's difficult to detox and you'd be at a great place to improve health. Fatigue is a symptom of slow metabolism, and might have a number of causes, but all can be remedied by raising it. Have you done the pulse/temp diagnostic yet? Take your pulse and temp every day on waking, after breakfast, late afternoon, after dinner, and before bed, and use foods/medicine to get both pulse and temp consistently higher.

ATP

High-butter isn't a passive "detox" technique. It's actually very active. I lost 50 lbs in 8 months, and it would have been faster if I'd taken more. It's active because the fats in butter stimulate the metabolism and stabilize local thyroid function, and in turn incorporate those fats into cellular structure as the increased metabolic rate increases cell turnover rate, healing damage faster and faster. It will be exactly as effective as you keep butter/dairy/coconut oil higher in ratio to sources of PUFA.

This is also not an Atkins type strategy. Fruits, veggies and sugar should still be an important part of the diet. Just avoid grains and PUFAS.
What was your daily sugar intake? I can't imagine having all that fat as well as a high sugar intake would allow fat loss.

OP
J

javacody

Thanks. Oh god it was so nice to finally get well. Btw there is one major caveat. If you drink alcohol this will not help really at all. Alcohol is basically an exotoxin and stimulates the liver to produce huge amounts of triglycerides. I was a big drinker and had to get help quitting before I experienced any increase in my health, especially weight loss.

Don't worry about your carb/protein ratio. It's more important to just keep blood sugar up, eat before you get hungry, at least 50 grams of protein a day (but shooting for 75-100 will help). Just keep dairy fat high and consistent. At every meal if possible. The specific ratios of the different macros isn't as important as is the type of each, in my experience. Sometimes I only have milk with added cream for lunch (I add cream to milk to replace whats been taken out), sometimes I have it with fruit, as I feel like.

Just noticed the links you shared.

I enjoy your writing style on your blog and the way you present info.

I'm going to take B2 when I have my bran flakes, because occasionally, I noticed I get bumps on my scalp the day after eating wheat.

tomisonbottom

I don't--my tests were so long ago I don't remember the actual numbers. But blood iron is a poor indicator of total iron stores. It rarely reflects the actual tissue concentration of iron, and more diseased organs will hold more iron than others which are more healthy (specifically tissues high in estrogen). Symptoms of high tissue iron would be dull skin, premature graying, and obesity. If you truly have low iron consider yourself lucky, as it's difficult to detox and you'd be at a great place to improve health. Fatigue is a symptom of slow metabolism, and might have a number of causes, but all can be remedied by raising it. Have you done the pulse/temp diagnostic yet? Take your pulse and temp every day on waking, after breakfast, late afternoon, after dinner, and before bed, and use foods/medicine to get both pulse and temp consistently higher.

Thanks.
Yeah, I track temp, and it's not too bad, but I still have a way to go. I feel my best and have good energy at 99, but find it very hard to get it there, but I'm always experimenting. I'm not obese and I don't have grey hair or dull skin, so maybe my iron really is in a decent place. I've been "peating" for quite some time although I've fixed lots of issues, by regularity isn't great, and I've gained about 20 pounds that I need to lose.

Can I ask why you seem to recommend low fat in your blog and say that you lose 5-8 pounds in a week doing that, but here you recommend lots of butter and dairy fat, etc?

natedawggh

Just noticed the links you shared.

I enjoy your writing style on your blog and the way you present info.

I'm going to take B2 when I have my bran flakes, because occasionally, I noticed I get bumps on my scalp the day after eating wheat.
Thanks!
Those bumps may be your body trying to detox iron. Is there added iron in that cereal? If there is it's going to/has been taking a huge toll on your health.

natedawggh

Thanks.
Yeah, I track temp, and it's not too bad, but I still have a way to go. I feel my best and have good energy at 99, but find it very hard to get it there, but I'm always experimenting. I'm not obese and I don't have grey hair or dull skin, so maybe my iron really is in a decent place. I've been "peating" for quite some time although I've fixed lots of issues, by regularity isn't great, and I've gained about 20 pounds that I need to lose.

Can I ask why you seem to recommend low fat in your blog and say that you lose 5-8 pounds in a week doing that, but here you recommend lots of butter and dairy fat, etc?

Losing weight can occur through different channels. Low-fat techniques can work by avoiding fat's tendency to slow the metabolism. But weight loss can also happen by shifting the body's fat composition to saturated. In my opinion the later is better for overall health and long-term weight management, as well as conferring other health benefits and being easier/more satisfying. Low-fat can be stressful and is unnecessary for weight loss, but some people prefer to do it so my article is more of a guide for doing it right, rather than an endorsement. Doing low-fat wrong can cause lots of problems, whereas it's hard to do high-dairy wrong.

tomisonbottom

Losing weight can occur through different channels. Low-fat techniques can work by avoiding fat's tendency to slow the metabolism. But weight loss can also happen by shifting the body's fat composition to saturated. In my opinion the later is better for overall health and long-term weight management, as well as conferring other health benefits and being easier/more satisfying. Low-fat can be stressful and is unnecessary for weight loss, but some people prefer to do it so my article is more of a guide for doing it right, rather than an endorsement. Doing low-fat wrong can cause lots of problems, whereas it's hard to do high-dairy wrong.

That makes sense. Thanks.

OP
J

javacody

Thanks!
Those bumps may be your body trying to detox iron. Is there added iron in that cereal? If there is it's going to/has been taking a huge toll on your health.

Damn it! A serving has 100% US RDA of Iron. And I eat a huge bowl at a time. Damn it damn it damn it!!!!

EDIT: Whole Foods organic only has 10% iron and it isn't fortified. Looks like I'll be switching to this. Time to start looking much more closely at the iron in the foods I'm consuming.

Thanks for the hint @natedawggh

Do you all know of anyone who has gone from obese to normal weight following Peat eating principles?

I was just over 200 pounds at my very heaviest, that would be considered morbidly obese I think, seeing as I'm only 5'2". I spent TWO DECADES of my life there.

In 2011 I lost close to 80 pounds using a combination of HCG (starvation) and low-carb ketosis (truly staggering amounts of PUFA ingestion) which ultimately completely trashed my metabolism after three years.

I discovered Peat in late 2013, added carbs back in to my diet (too much, too quickly) and found myself back up to 170 pounds and unable to oxidize glucose properly for several months.

I've since lost the weight (again) in 2014 while eating all Peat foods, only I did most of my fat loss eating ZERO starch because Peat says starch is more fattening than fruit sugars......but I'm an old gal with a history of major gut issues, so my context is very different from yours.

I think young men can definitely do okay with more starch, especially if your digestion is in good shape.

I'm currently holding steady at 128 pounds...I started Phase Two of my fat loss journey this last Spring after maintaining 135 pounds for two years.

My goal was to lose the Dreaded Last Ten (or 15 pounds) 125 or 120 pounds is normal weight for me cuz I do have some muscle, lol. I've lost 7 pounds so far over the Summer, but it seems to go much slower the closer you get to your ideal weight. It also seems to get more stressful if I push stuff too hard, so I don't push it.

I'm totally okay with going at a slow pace now and believe that is what's best for me.....However, it is my firm opinion that one certainly can push harder when one has A LOT of fat to lose, if that's what one chooses to do.

I'm merely speaking from my own personal experience and not recommending anything in particular, but 50 pounds per year is very doable and sustainable. Sustainability is EVERYTHING....Peat's choice of foods is like a prescription, stick to them closely.

I kept my life VERY VERY low key (low stress) while I did my diet. Also, I chose to diet during the summer because I've found that sunlight helps mitigate the inevitable stress of fat loss.

I'm not sure how things would go during the darkness of winter, it might be too stressful, dunno? Or you might be able to mitigate with lots of RED LIGHT.

Good Luck to you......and whatever you do, strictly avoid PUFA.....and ferchrist'ssake take some vitamin E each day!!!

p.s. And get some thyroid meds iffin ya need them.....burning through PUFA will most likely suppress your thyroid, especially with lower light levels of fall/winter.

Peat says it takes 4 years to deplete PUFA, and even though you can lose fat and feel better/more energy etc. much sooner than that, I think I must agree with him.....thyroid meds can help you through the worst of it, especially during winter.

OP
J

javacody

I was just over 200 pounds at my very heaviest, that would be considered morbidly obese I think, seeing as I'm only 5'2". I spent TWO DECADES of my life there.

In 2011 I lost close to 80 pounds using a combination of HCG (starvation) and low-carb ketosis (truly staggering amounts of PUFA ingestion) which ultimately completely trashed my metabolism after three years.

I discovered Peat in late 2013, added carbs back in to my diet (too much, too quickly) and found myself back up to 170 pounds and unable to oxidize glucose properly for several months.

I've since lost the weight (again) in 2014 while eating all Peat foods, only I did most of my fat loss eating ZERO starch because Peat says starch is more fattening than fruit sugars......but I'm an old gal with a history of major gut issues, so my context is very different from yours.

I think young men can definitely do okay with more starch, especially if your digestion is in good shape.

I'm currently holding steady at 128 pounds...I started Phase Two of my fat loss journey this last Spring after maintaining 135 pounds for two years.

My goal was to lose the Dreaded Last Ten (or 15 pounds) 125 or 120 pounds is normal weight for me cuz I do have some muscle, lol. I've lost 7 pounds so far over the Summer, but it seems to go much slower the closer you get to your ideal weight. It also seems to get more stressful if I push stuff too hard, so I don't push it.

I'm totally okay with going at a slow pace now and believe that is what's best for me.....However, it is my firm opinion that one certainly can push harder when one has A LOT of fat to lose, if that's what one chooses to do.

I'm merely speaking from my own personal experience and not recommending anything in particular, but 50 pounds per year is very doable and sustainable. Sustainability is EVERYTHING....Peat's choice of foods is like a prescription, stick to them closely.

I kept my life VERY VERY low key (low stress) while I did my diet. Also, I chose to diet during the summer because I've found that sunlight helps mitigate the inevitable stress of fat loss.

I'm not sure how things would go during the darkness of winter, it might be too stressful, dunno? Or you might be able to mitigate with lots of RED LIGHT.

Good Luck to you......and whatever you do, strictly avoid PUFA.....and ferchrist'ssake take some vitamin E each day!!!

p.s. And get some thyroid meds iffin ya need them.....burning through PUFA will most likely suppress your thyroid, especially with lower light levels of fall/winter.

Peat says it takes 4 years to deplete PUFA, and even though you can lose fat and feel better/more energy etc. much sooner than that, I think I must agree with him.....thyroid meds can help you through the worst of it, especially during winter.
Thanks for the advice.

I tried a high gamma vitamin e, but it made me so tired.

What vitamin e products do you like?

I've got 3 red heat lamps I use in the winter. And I use very bright lights in my home office year round. Helps with mood and concentration.

Right now, my clothes are fitting looser, I'm warm much of the time, and I'm really enjoying what I eat.

I call that a win.

I'm leery of adding in thyroid because I got so hot from drinking a 20 ounce coke that I almost couldn't stand it.

FredSonoma

Carnitine and choline are not Peaty supplements. Carnitine increase fatty acid oxidation, and choline is excitatory for the parasympathetic nervous system. You may want to use them temporarily for "fat burning" and clearing out your liver. Though burning fat has its risks because it releases PUFAs into the bloodstream. Burning fat is not Peat recommended, so I hope you understand the risks. Vitamin E can be protective against this.

Coenzymated B complexes can have PABA in them which blocks the thyroid. Most B complexes mess me up. I take a quarter dose of Energin twice a day, myself.

With the vitamin K2, make sure you take a lot. 1-2 mg never did anything for my liver, but 12 mg daily and my gallbladder is actually moving again (no small feat). I use the Health Natura brand.
Do you take the K2 orally or transdermally?

DrJ

With the vitamin K2, make sure you take a lot. 1-2 mg never did anything for my liver, but 12 mg daily and my gallbladder is actually moving again (no small feat). I use the Health Natura brand.

I'm also curious to know if K2 improved your digestion if you can answer. I've noticed that my digestion improves if I eat more hard cheeses, and I've never been able to figure out why. I was reading recently, though, that hard cheeses have quite a bit of K2 in them, and I started to wonder if this might be the reason.

OP
J

javacody

I'm also curious to know if K2 improved your digestion if you can answer. I've noticed that my digestion improves if I eat more hard cheeses, and I've never been able to figure out why. I was reading recently, though, that hard cheeses have quite a bit of K2 in them, and I started to wonder if this might be the reason.

Hard cheeses have enzymes in them, right? That might be why your digestion improves. Could be the easily digested proteins and the minerals helping as well.

I tried a high gamma vitamin e, but it made me so tired.

What vitamin e products do you like?

Some members here like Unique E, I used it exclusively back in 2011 while ripping through tons of excess body fat. I liked it back then, but I currently use the High Gamma E from Swanson's. I personally don't like the Solgar brand.......Just find one that suits you, it's very protective while burning through PUFA.

A quote from Ray Peat regarding vitamin E......."The larger the quantity of "toxic fat" stored in the body, the more careful the person must be about increasing metabolic and physical activity. Using more vitamin E, short-chain saturated fats, and other anti-lipid-peroxidation agents is important."