How To Cook/Prepare Bone Broth?

biggirlkisss

I keep getting to much fat in my and when I try to use a cheese cloth it didn't work. Sucks.

Amazoniac

Attachments

• beetpdf3.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
B

Braveheart

Overnight in the slow cooker on low...cow foot or shank or chicken necks back and feet. Add whatever vegies...in morning, toss all bones and vegies... screen juice, chill and remove fat...freeze gelatin in portions for the week...very easy. Very popular here in Belize.

moss

..too valuable to be lost. Also an attempt to convince myself that it's normal to do that.

Thanks Amazoniac
This is an excellent find and I just love the addition of crushed egg shells and will give that a go.

Overnight in the slow cooker on low...cow foot or shank or chicken necks back and feet. Add whatever vegies...in morning, toss all bones and vegies... screen juice, chill and remove fat...freeze gelatin in portions for the week...very easy. Very popular here in Belize.

Wonderful and great to know the slowcooker does the job, never occurred to me to make it that way as I use a stockpot on the stove top. Do you roast your bones beforehand?

Last edited:
B

Braveheart

no, don't want the extra work...very tasty and easy this way

calamityjane

I make stock regularly. Chicken necks & feet for chicken stock & neck bones & oxtail for the beef. I roast the beef bones first with a little coc oil & lots of s&p. bring to boil, remove scum add onion, celery, carrot & kale towards the end. Reduce to simmer for 4hrs & strain. Freeze in small portions. Whenever I use eggs, I rinse & freeze the shells. I add these to my stocks as well.

moss

Edit:
CHAPTER XXIX. -- RECIPES FOR CREAMS, JELLIES Etc. (or pg. 17 of the uploaded pdf) - TO MAKE THE STOCK FOR JELLY, AND TO CLARIFY IT.
THE BOOK OF HOUSEHOLD MANAGEMENT
Ex-Classics Books as 1 Zip File
@moss

Thanks Amazoniac, there is a pile of good info wrt food at least!
What a classic....

Isabella Beeton writes in the Preface

"I must frankly own, that if I had known, beforehand, that this book
would have cost me the labour which it has, I should never have been
courageous enough to commence it. What moved me, in the first
instance, to attempt a work like this, was the discomfort and
suffering which I had seen brought upon men and women by household
mismanagement. I have always thought that there is no more fruitful
source of family discontent than a housewife's badly-cooked dinners
and untidy ways. Men are now so well served out of doors,-at their
clubs, well-ordered taverns, and dining-houses, that in order to
compete with the attractions of these places, a mistress must be
thoroughly acquainted with the theory and practice of cookery, as
well as be perfectly conversant with all the other arts of making and
keeping a comfortable home."

:lol:

Janaki

I have been cooking oxtail together with shank for about 4 to 5 hours, in the slow cooker. I add a bay leaf, onion, garlic, and a little bit of mace and clove. It becomes gelatine after it cools down. But reading this, I will experiment with 4 and 3 hours to see what the difference is.

bagotage

On the subject of dubious Peat information,
do you have any thoughts on how Peat says to cook
Bone Broth?

There is like one reference out there
saying that Peat says to cook bone broth for no longer than 3 hours
because after that it degrades the protein.

Trouble with that is:
have you ever tried to do that?
I've done it 2 or 3 times,
and it just simply does not seem to work:
that is not long enough to break down the collagen into gelatin.

And also, if you think about it,
Peat recommends, alternatively, prepared gelatin powder:
Isn't that cooked and heated out the wazoo--
I mean, cooked for a long time?

I've always suspected Peat might've meant to not cook the meaty portions
(of oxtails, for example)
for over 3 hours.
That would make sense.
Here is my beef bone broth and my chicken bone broth. I cook mine for under 5 hours for the beef and a little over 3 for the chicken, WITHOUT vinegar, on HIGH heat with the LID OFF. The most important thing i have learned is the bones make the broth! Bone does not make a gelatinous broth the cartilage and skin does. So choose bones with joints and skin. For me oxtails make the best beef broth and wings make the best chicken. Yes chicken feet do too, but the taste of them and pot looking like a witches brew, with dozens of the claws protruding of the water is just to not for me. I can cook a chicken carcass for the same amount of time, but without tossing in a couple of wings with it, it never gelatenizes like the wings do!

Attachments

• 20210217_162414.jpg
    20210217_162414.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210209_164959.jpg
    20210209_164959.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 18

Regina

Hi R&r -

You inspired me. I made beef gelatin with oxtail and beef tendons.
Then made pho. (added a sliced ribeye for protein; tomorrow night, it will be shrimp)

Attachments

• beef_gelatin.jpeg
    beef_gelatin.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 21
  • pho.jpeg
    pho.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 22
Hi R&r -

You inspired me. I made beef gelatin with oxtail and beef tendons.
Then made pho. (added a sliced ribeye for protein; tomorrow night, it will be shrimp)
Oh my gosh Regina I got chills looking at your REALLY gelatinous broth! Was your Pho better than anything you have out without MSG? The homemade doesn't even resemble store bought and it is so easy and satisfying! I am so tickled that you did it!

Regina

Oh my gosh Regina I got chills looking at your REALLY gelatinous broth! Was your Pho better than anything you have out without MSG? The homemade doesn't even resemble store bought and it is so easy and satisfying! I am so tickled that you did it!
It gave us happy guts. :singing: Mine's a little less sweet than having it out. I was able to find black cardamon at an asian store.
It's definitely my favorite meal. Though, I would not say it is easy for me. I have to be kicked like donkey to get up and do it.
I just have to keep looking at your photos.

It gave us happy guts. :singing: Mine's a little less sweet than having it out. I was able to find black cardamon at an asian store.
It's definitely my favorite meal. Though, I would not say it is easy for me. I have to be kicked like donkey to get up and do it.
I just have to keep looking at your photos.
Ha! Ha! I set my timer for 40 minutes to add water. It is so worth it though! It feels so much better than the yuckie powdered stuff. No wonder everybody is having such difficulties with the Ray Peat diet, they aren't eating our delicious Pho. I made one a few months back with some slice tenderloin and put raw white carrot ribbons in and everyone thought they were noodles!

Attachments

• 20210217_212013.jpg
    20210217_212013.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 16

souperhuman

If you live somewhere warm and get access to fresh fish, I think fish broth is an excellent option since the tropical fish are low in fat. Also, fish broth is very quick, 25-30 minutes of boiling is enough to produce a very thick gelatinous broth, which in combination with some vegetables makes for some very good eating. If you put the head in too you might get some thyroid as well.

If you live somewhere warm and get access to fresh fish, I think fish broth is an excellent option since the tropical fish are low in fat. Also, fish broth is very quick, 25-30 minutes of boiling is enough to produce a very thick gelatinous broth, which in combination with some vegetables makes for some very good eating. If you put the head in too you might get some thyroid as well.
I have been on the hunt for some fish heads since learning about fish head soup!

Regina

Ha! Ha! I set my timer for 40 minutes to add water. It is so worth it though! It feels so much better than the yuckie powdered stuff. No wonder everybody is having such difficulties with the Ray Peat diet, they aren't eating our delicious Pho. I made one a few months back with some slice tenderloin and put raw white carrot ribbons in and everyone thought they were noodles!
:yum::yum:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals