Oxtail Soup Ray Peat Style (3 Hours). Where’s The Gelatine?

Peato Diet

Last night I made oxtail soup (with the meat on the bone) letting it cook (190-200°F / 88-93°C) for only three hours in a slow cooker. I read that Ray once stated that cooking for more than 3 hours degrades the nutrients. The problem is, with this short cooking time there doesn’t seem to be a lot of (if any) gelatine content in the broth. I have made oxtail soup numerous times before however on those occasions I let it cook for 24 - 48 hours and when you cool the broth in the fridge it is like jelly which I assume indicates high gelatine content. However the batch I cooked last night for three hours is still of a watery consistency which I assume indicates low gelatine content.

The other option i believe is to use Great Lakes Gelatine. How do Great Lakes extract their gelatine? Wouldn’t they need to extend the application of heat for more than 3 hours in order to extract the gelatine?

How do you prepare your bone broth? Do you ignore Ray’s advice and extend the cooking time for higher gelatine content, or do you stick to 3 hours max for low (but higher quality?) gelatine content?

RealNeat

If you expect gelatin from a 3 hour cook time you better make sure you are using a pressure cooker like Instapot or else you gotta step it up to at least double that if not 7 or 8 hours. If you want to do less like 6 you might end up easily biting it off. But if you want the liquid to be full of gelatin you wanna hit the 8 hour mark.

bzmazu

Last night I made oxtail soup (with the meat on the bone) letting it cook (190-200°F / 88-93°C) for only three hours in a slow cooker. I read that Ray once stated that cooking for more than 3 hours degrades the nutrients. The problem is, with this short cooking time there doesn’t seem to be a lot of (if any) gelatine content in the broth. I have made oxtail soup numerous times before however on those occasions I let it cook for 24 - 48 hours and when you cool the broth in the fridge it is like jelly which I assume indicates high gelatine content. However the batch I cooked last night for three hours is still of a watery consistency which I assume indicates low gelatine content.

The other option i believe is to use Great Lakes Gelatine. How do Great Lakes extract their gelatine? Wouldn’t they need to extend the application of heat for more than 3 hours in order to extract the gelatine?

How do you prepare your bone broth? Do you ignore Ray’s advice and extend the cooking time for higher gelatine content, or do you stick to 3 hours max for low (but higher quality?) gelatine content?
For gelatin, you were right on this initially....ignore Peat on this.

boris

3 hours doesn't do it for me. But with 4-4 1/2 hours I get a very gelatinous broth.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
metabolizm Oxtail Soup Help Diet, Recipes 22
O Oxtail Soup Recipes? Broth, Stocks 2
F Korean Oxtail soup (Kkori Gomtang) Recipes 0
L Different Colored Fats From Oxtail - Why? Broth, Stocks 0
cyclops The Problem With Oxtail Diet 47
ShirtTieFitness Bone Broth Beef Recipe: Slow Cooked Oxtail And Vegetables Recipes 6
Pet Peeve Oxtail And Glutamate Meat 5
M Using Oxtail As A Source Of Glycine - Some Questions Diet, Recipes 17
Dan Wich Danny Roddy - "Ray Peat Inspired Nutrition - Oxtail" Recipes 2
R Oxtail recipe? Recipes 1
Twohandsondeck "Adrenal Recovery Soup," *also Testing Adrenal Fatigue Using Pupil Dilation Recipes 6
J Potato Soup Question Ask For Help or Advice 1
M Easy Cheese Soup Recipes 0
Such_Umami Vegan Friendly Ray Peat Soup Recipes 10
KurtisL Is This How Potato Juice Soup Ought To Look? Recipes 2
G Salty Orange Soup Recipes 0
AlphaCog This Soup Has Been Simmering For 45 Years Eating Out, On The Run, Restaurants, Grocery Store 1
A Using Sheep Neck Soup Instead Of Chicken Neck Soup Thyroid and Hormones 1
J Potato Protein Soup Overview/recipe Recipes 1
jzeno Hippocrates’ Soup Recipe Recipes 0
L Mushroom Soup (Ground Mushrooms) Instead Of The Sliced Version? Digestion, Gut Flora 5
Amazigh Moroccan Lentil Soup Recipes 15
F Bathing In Soup Broth Meat, Organ Meat, Gelatin, Seafood 3
P Chicken Soup Really Is Good For The Soul: "comfort Food" Fulfills The Need To Belong Articles & Scientific Studies 5
raysputin Hungarian Liver Soup Recipes 6
M Potato Soup, Did I Do It Right? Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Ray Peat Potato Protein 0
O Carrot Raw Or Boiled? Professor Moro's Carrot Soup Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 6
TubZy Oldest (109) WWII Vet Eats Milk, Ice Cream And Soup, Coffee Miscellaneous Health Discussions 33
biggirlkisss Easy To Break Down Soup With Pork Recipe Ask For Help or Advice 0
B Oyster Soup Recipe Using Boiled In Water Canned Recipes 13
M Potassium In Potato Juice Soup? Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Ray Peat Potato Protein 5
sunmountain Calling all chicken neck soup lovers... Meat, Organ Meat, Gelatin, Seafood 6
B This soup is rockin' my temps Broth, Stocks 12
Y how to make chicken neck soup? Meat, Organ Meat, Gelatin, Seafood 3
sunmountain cream of chicken soup Recipes 4
P french onion soup Recipes 12
lindsay Chicken Soup for the "Peatarian" soul Diet, Recipes 3
H Potato Soup Recipes 3
LucyL Sausage Potato and Kale Soup Recipes 11
A Chicken Neck Potato Soup! Recipes 0
haidut Potato Protein Soup Cooking Rules Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Ray Peat Potato Protein 67
H Southeast Asian Fish Soup Recipes 0
D Swamp Soup Recipes 1
Bluebell Quick Q About Peat Potato Protein Soup Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Ray Peat Potato Protein 66
BingDing Potato egg drop soup Recipes 3
K My Ray Peat Potato Protein Soup with added stock Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Ray Peat Potato Protein 6
N Ray Peat Potato Protein Soup (RPPPS) Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Ray Peat Potato Protein 109
H All things hormones, metabolism and health with Dr Ray Peat & Emma Sgourakis Interviews 1
S Histamine intolerance explained through a Ray Peat prism Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 39
P How to get in contact with Ray Peat himself Ask For Help or Advice 0