How Can I Tell If My Bone Broth Is Good?

DMF

First time making bone broth. Boiled 24 hours 4 medium-sized cow bones W/some skin/fat. Refridgerated - then skim layer of fat on top, below a pot of off-white milky-opaque'ish semi gelatin-like "broth". I drank 2 cups, for health not taste. Not much, if any flavor.
Is my stuff any good - would anyone know?

tara

I've done it as you describe in the past, but I think Peat has recommended shorter cooking time, so now I limit to 2-3 hrs. I think he has said very long cooking can damage some of the proteins, and the minerals in the bones themselves can include highish lead levels. He has a recent article about meat, in which he talks about biogenic amines - breakdown products in aged meat that can have some problematic effects. I'm not sure if similar things happen with long cooking - I suspected so, and raised in another thread, but others saw it differently.
The main benefit I'm aiming for from broth is the gelatin, and I want it to taste good too (with added salt). You can distinguish a high gelatin batch by how stiff the cold broth is. I usually chew the gelatinous bits off the ends of the cooked bones, too. Yes to skimming off the fat from cooled stock. Some of the more gelatinous cuts (eg tail, knuckle) seem to be higher PUFA.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P How can you tell if a tracking number is fake? Ask For Help or Advice 4
P Can someone tell me if aromasin will increase dht? Sexuality 2
M Low or high stomach acid ? How to tell? Digestion 4
bzmazu How You Can Tell They’re Lying About Covid—Dr. William M. Briggs Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 3
P Can anyone tell me their experience using suma root Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 3
P Can anyone tell me a site i can get a inhaler from Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
ecstatichamster Tell Me About Your Carbon Dioxide Tank And Mask Set Up Ask For Help or Advice 5
M Stop The COVID-19 TRACE Act. Tell Trump To Veto It! Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 0
GorillaHead Most Effective Abdominal Fat Diet/stack? Tell Me Weight 0
milkboi Tell Me About Your Light Setups Ask For Help or Advice 29
Gadreel Can Anyone Tell Me Their Experience Using Tamoxifen Supplements 46
charlie SIBO, Gut Motility, Constipation. What Is Really Going On? I Will Tell You Digestion, Gut Flora 82
ecstatichamster Tell Us Your Success Getting Rid Of Skin Tags, Moles And Such Experiments 62
Mito Pfizer Had Clues Its Blockbuster Drug Could Prevent Alzheimer’s. Why Didn’t It Tell The World? Alzheimer's 5
C Can Someone Please Tell Me How I Can Buy These Products? I Dont See A Button To Buy Them. Thank You! IdeaLabs 1
ecstatichamster Tell Me More About Milk Alkali Syndrome Dairy 7
Hugh Johnson Tell Yourself You Are Safe Health 31
T How To Tell What Coconut Oil You Have And Which One Is The Best? Ask For Help or Advice 24
biggirlkisss What Does The Lab Parathyroid Hormone Tell You And Why Does D Lower It Ask For Help or Advice 3
J How To Tell If Cortisol Is Low Or High? (interested In Trying Cyproheptadine) Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 4
D Puffy Nipples - Labs Don't Tell Me Why Ask For Help or Advice 10
M How To Tell If It Is Menorrhagia? Female Issues 2
R First Post - What Can These Tests Tell Me? Blood Work, Labs 5
bodacious Have YOU Successfully Lowered Prolactin? Pray Tell Blood Work, Labs 3
ecstatichamster How Can You Tell Your Fatty Liver Is Better? Symptoms, Causes 32
F Mom with Graves' disease, taking Methimazole / selenium, not sure what to tell her Ask For Help or Advice 1
TheHound How To Tell If It's Necessary To Supplement Vitamin A? A 11
Bluebell How To Tell How Much Vitamin A I Need? Health 9
C Tell Me What Your Viscera Says Health 7
F How To Tell If An Orange Is Ripe? Fruits 5
J Can anyone tell me what has happened in my body? Ask For Help or Advice 6
Lenny Is 3 days cooked bone-broth safe? Ask For Help or Advice 5
Rinse & rePeat Gelatinous Low Histamine CHICKEN Bone Broth AND dinner in under 3 Hours (with photos) Gelatin 38
CreakyJoints Deer antler extract and possible applications for degenerative bone and joint disorders. Scientific Studies 10
A Grow bone mass Ask For Help or Advice 44
outtherebrother Post accutane small bone structure Male Issues 3
Ben Stone White button mushrooms as an optimal dinner meal with bone broth? Diet 13
N Bad Reaction To Traditional Food Market Whole Bone Calcium Supplement Diet 6
DJ123 Opinions On Bone Conduction Headphones? Miscellaneous 1
C Call For Help: Bone Health And Strength Diet 2
J Is It Possible To Grow Bone Structure At The Age Of 21? Ask For Help or Advice 14
S Leg Bone Pain After D3 Ingestion Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 5
H Keto Diet Craze May Lead To Reduced Bone Health: Research Diet 28
jzeno P-Coumaric Acid Stimulates Longitudinal Bone Growth Through Increasing IGF-1 Scientific Studies 1
Inaut Ray Peat Q&A - Insulin Resistance, Vegans, Low Cortisol, Bone Broth, And Coconut! W/ Jodelle Interviews 14
H DHEA Suppresses Longitudinal Bone Growth By Acting Directly At Growth Plate Through Estrogen Recepto DHEA 7
Jamesu Bone Growth In Adulthood Ask For Help or Advice 39
R Could Bone Loss In The Face Be The Real Culprit Of Nasolabial Folds ? Skin 12
meatbag Voltage Gated Calcium Channels 'read' Electric Patterns In Embryos To Create Cartilage And Bone Scientific Studies 0
Mito Effect Of High-Dose Vitamin D Supplementation On Volumetric Bone Density And Bone Strength D 1