A Greens Or Greens&meat Peat Diet Variation

OP
N

narouz

Dutchie said:
narouz said:
Dutchie said:
On New Year's day I had wild spinach stirfried/sauteed with ground beef,for the first time in a long while....and it did wonders for me.(My stomach felt defenitely less bloated afterwards and I felt nice&warm)
So,greens are defenitely ok in my book.

Back in my VLC Paleo period,leafy greens&broccoli were basically the only 'carbs' I ate and I didn't suffer any calcium shortage despite eating any dairy. So,I think they're indeed a good source of calcium. I read in an article that leafy greens,especially kale,have one of the quickest readily available absorption rates of calcium.

Yeah, Dutchie.
I had many VLC kale and broccoli episodes too!
Have to say those foods are delicious to me.
That's interesting about the calcium and the warmth you got from spinach.
Are you hypothyroid?

Hi Narouz,

There are some features that I have (on&off) that are related to hypothyroidism,however a lot of symptoms can also be subscribed to other things so who knows.
I have actually noticed that when I suffer from supposedly hypothyroid symptoms,that sometimes foods,such as the spinach&broccoli, that are advised as a no-go for hypothyroidism actually benefit me and reverse or at lease lessen the symptoms.
I know some Peat followers mention that getting thyroid up is the most important,but from these experiences I'm starting to question that validity myself. I think there are a lot more functions that are important,such as adrenal and liver health,and it seems that one of these not functioning correctly actually decrease thyroid function no matter how strictly you eat a pro-thyroid diet.
For instance broccoli contains a compound that figths estrogen dominance,so I'm thinking for me not suffering from estrogen dominance is a very important factor in not showing signs of hypothyroidism.

Dutchie-
Do you know what that "compound that fights estrogen dominance" is...?

OP
N

narouz

honeybee said:
@narouz I think it's DIM. I used a bottle and didn't notice any effects.
http://www.dimfaq.com/site/toc.htm

Thanks, honeybee.
Yes, long ago I used some of that too,
before I discovered Peat.
I didn't note anything clear either,
but then...my diet was the opposite of Peat then.... :lol:

Dutchie

narouz said:
Dutchie said:
narouz said:
Dutchie said:
On New Year's day I had wild spinach stirfried/sauteed with ground beef,for the first time in a long while....and it did wonders for me.(My stomach felt defenitely less bloated afterwards and I felt nice&warm)
So,greens are defenitely ok in my book.

Back in my VLC Paleo period,leafy greens&broccoli were basically the only 'carbs' I ate and I didn't suffer any calcium shortage despite eating any dairy. So,I think they're indeed a good source of calcium. I read in an article that leafy greens,especially kale,have one of the quickest readily available absorption rates of calcium.

Yeah, Dutchie.
I had many VLC kale and broccoli episodes too!
Have to say those foods are delicious to me.
That's interesting about the calcium and the warmth you got from spinach.
Are you hypothyroid?

Hi Narouz,

There are some features that I have (on&off) that are related to hypothyroidism,however a lot of symptoms can also be subscribed to other things so who knows.
I have actually noticed that when I suffer from supposedly hypothyroid symptoms,that sometimes foods,such as the spinach&broccoli, that are advised as a no-go for hypothyroidism actually benefit me and reverse or at lease lessen the symptoms.
I know some Peat followers mention that getting thyroid up is the most important,but from these experiences I'm starting to question that validity myself. I think there are a lot more functions that are important,such as adrenal and liver health,and it seems that one of these not functioning correctly actually decrease thyroid function no matter how strictly you eat a pro-thyroid diet.
For instance broccoli contains a compound that figths estrogen dominance,so I'm thinking for me not suffering from estrogen dominance is a very important factor in not showing signs of hypothyroidism.

Dutchie-
Do you know what that "compound that fights estrogen dominance" is...?

DIM indeed is quite known,personally I don't believe that taking it in supplemental form does much for a person. I've been on so many supplements for years and they ultimately didn't contribute much,probably bc most of them were in pill/capsule so I don't think it's absorbed efficiently&usable in the body. The only 2 supplements that seemed to work are both in oil/fluid and are being absorbed through the skin.
I don't think supplemental and natural occurring in food are equal in effectiveness,imho.

Anyway,the article about the broccoli talked about Indole-3-carbinol which is supposed to have anti-estrogenic effects too. So,I guess that with DIM paired in broccoli,makes it a good anti-estrogenic food...at least from what I've experienced.

tara

I think I have read (possibly from RBTI folk) that chlorophyl, the green in greens, provides a very useable form of magnesium, and is helpful for the pancreas' ability to respond to food (glucose?). Reams used to have people drink a little green juice before meals.

Dutchie

tara said:
I think I have read (possibly from RBTI folk) that chlorophyl, the green in greens, provides a very useable form of magnesium, and is helpful for the pancreas' ability to respond to food (glucose?). Reams used to have people drink a little green juice before meals.

That's interesting about greens having a very usable form of magnesium,bc a while ago I read an article that mentioned that greens are one of the sources of the quickest absorbable calcium.
So,those would make it very good sources for calcium&magnesium. I find myself thinking about/craving greens like spinach/kale/broccoli again. (For a while I felt very hostile towards everything 'Paleoish",even just hearing the name made my blood boil! But that was actually a mental thing which I correlated to Paleo but actually had nothing to do with Paleo/Primal itself. The last couple of weeks I find myself more drawn to Paleo and am wonering if I should modify some things in my current eating and take the plunge...)

tara

Dutchie said:
tara said:

That's interesting about greens having a very usable form of magnesium,bc a while ago I read an article that mentioned that greens are one of the sources of the quickest absorbable calcium.
So,those would make it very good sources for calcium&magnesium. I find myself thinking about/craving greens like spinach/kale/broccoli again. (For a while I felt very hostile towards everything 'Paleoish",even just hearing the name made my blood boil! But that was actually a mental thing which I correlated to Paleo but actually had nothing to do with Paleo/Primal itself. The last couple of weeks I find myself more drawn to Paleo and am wonering if I should modify some things in my current eating and take the plunge...)

If you make sure to keep the carbs and calcium high and the PUFA and gut irritants low, it might work out. How much of a change would it be? I saw someone describe a Peatish diet as high carb paleo + milk (and I'd add minus excessive nuts and salmon).

Dutchie

tara said:
Dutchie said:
tara said:

If you make sure to keep the carbs and calcium high and the PUFA and gut irritants low, it might work out. How much of a change would it be? I saw someone describe a Peatish diet as high carb paleo + milk (and I'd add minus excessive nuts and salmon).

I've stopped the milk a while ago,except from the milkpowder in milkchocolate and white chocolate. I guess they've gotta go,or at least be limited to once in a while. I also still daily eat some (cow) lowfat yoghurt and most of the time some goat or sheepcheese with dinner. I want to first try to get out all the cowdairy products,as they kind of seem like a slippery slope for me.
Then I'll see if I can keep the goat/sheepdairy (cheese mostly,never had the yoghurt) in. It doesn't seem like they're much of a digestive problem,but by now I've read so many things about cows transferring their hormones through dairy for ther babies/calves that I wonder if sheep&goatdairy also keep stalling me....

Adding in some fatty fish,has been on my mind bc I'm not so sure if mainly O3 PUFAS from actual fish are that detrimental.
I've never been much into nuts and nutbutters and they were out fairly early into my Paleo journey,except for coconut,so that's not a problem.
As for the carbs,it's a tricky complicated situation....it seems that I have to cut them a fair amount,switch quite some sugars for veggies and/or fat,bc it seems that especially the fructose part is problematic....not only contributing to the bloating but I suspect my liver also can't handle it,since both fructose and sat.fats go through the liver. So,I have to pick my battles and it seems that carbs/sugars especially now are not warming at all.
Then there's ofcourse starchy foods....but from it doesn't seem like they're being handled that well digestive wise. Maybe they eventually will,once sugar/fructose intake decreases....

Zachs

Paleo ruined my life. :(

Guys, when you talk about highly usable forma of minerals in plants. Even if that is true which i i have read very conflicting views of the subject, you still need to think about the extreme bulk of greens needed to get even a fraction of what you can get from animal foods. There is a reason why herbivors spend all day grazing (and pooping). Plants may be high in minerals by calorie but that is extremely missleading. Also most is bound up in cellulose which required quite a but if degradation to be released, our guts dont have what it takes. Anyway, all this to say that unless you believe RBTI that tiny amounts of very bioavaible nutrients trumps big amounts from other sources, plants in general are just not a reliable source of anything in any meaningful quantity and the downfalls are pretty substantial, especially in big quantities.

Hiws that for a run-on sentence!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals