Pressure Cooker VS. "Regular" Boiling To Make Gelatin

DMF

When does the intense heat of a pressure cooker start to "ruin" bone broth's chance of gelling as opposed to it remaining liquid when refridgerated? I've tried pressure cookers as well as reglar large pots to boil but get mixed results. Is a long "moderate" boil in a pot, 12-24 hours better than quick intense spurts in a pressure cooker better at "drawing out" gelatin?

tara

I don't think Peat recommends boiling broths for more than about 2-3 hours. Don't want too much of the bone itself to dissolve, and don't want the proteins too badly denatured from very long boiling.

jyb

I keep reading that pressure cooker (crockpot) is much much better for getting a high gelatin broth compared to a slow-cooker (just simmering water). Like 1 hour instead of 48+ hours...

4peatssake

jyb said:
I keep reading that pressure cooker (crockpot) is much much better for getting a high gelatin broth compared to a slow-cooker (just simmering water). Like 1 hour instead of 48+ hours...
Pressure cooker and crockpot/slow cookers aren't the same. And both are different from stove top broth making with a regular stock pot.

Pressure cookers and slow cookers both offer cooks a convenient way to get a meal on the table without a lot of fuss. The big difference between the two is a simple one. Pressure cookers cook food quickly while slow cookers cook food – wait for it – slowly.

Pressure cookers are built like ordinary pots and pans except their lids are fashioned to clamp tightly in place, creating a seal that traps steam inside the pot. Unable to escape, the steam builds up pressure, raising the temperature inside, which causes food to cook about 70% faster than on your stovetop. The steam also helps keep food moist. Most pressure cookers are built to be used on your stovetop, but newer electric models can simply be placed on a countertop and plugged in for power.

Slow cookers cook food gently for anywhere from 4 to 10 hours. They are never used on the stovetop and once you load your ingredients and plug them in, you can safely leave them unattended so your food can cook overnight while you sleep or while you’re out of the house during the day. Long, slow cooking yields tender, falling off the bone meats and poultry, making slow cookers a perfect cooking method for inexpensive cuts of meat which are usually tough. Another slow cooker convenience is the ability to safely and easily transport food.
Source

jyb

4peatssake said:
Pressure cooker and crockpot/slow cookers aren't the same. And both are different from stove top broth making with a regular stock pot.

Yes well I meant pressure cooker versus slow cooker or simmering for cooking various beef cuts, especially gelatinous cuts or bones.

Aspekt

I pressure cook on high for 50 minutes with my electric pressure cooker. If there's plenty of cartilage and connective tissue it can be a solid chunk of set liquid once it's cooled. usually I can only get beef bones without much gelatin so it's not as thick. generally I roast the bones first to get the browned flavour, then throw in some onions, celery, some fresh herbs and salt, then a bit of vinegar which supposedly helps draw calcium out into the broth. I wonder if the shorter cooking time than a slow cooker reduces the amount of histamine?

tara

Aspekt said:
I pressure cook on high for 50 minutes with my electric pressure cooker. If there's plenty of cartilage and connective tissue it can be a solid chunk of set liquid once it's cooled. usually I can only get beef bones without much gelatin so it's not as thick. generally I roast the bones first to get the browned flavour, then throw in some onions, celery, some fresh herbs and salt, then a bit of vinegar which supposedly helps draw calcium out into the broth. I wonder if the shorter cooking time than a slow cooker reduces the amount of histamine?
I stopped putting vinegar in when cooking broth when I read Peat on lead accumulating in bones - he does not consider it that safest source of calcium, if I've understood right.
Good question about whether you more histamine from longer cooking or higher temps.

CameCumm

I think when it come to a Pressure Cooker. You should give it a low temperature.

_lppaiva

I see a lot of people saying pressure cooking doesn't set the gelatin, and like... What?

I get an extremely thick broth even when cooking things like chuck, which has some connective tissue but not much. I usually use pig parts, as they are less expensive, and skim off the fat from the top when it cools. I actually have to dilute the latter with water afterwards, because it stays so thick.

I think broths in general are a good way of using pig/chicken, high PUFA meats. Since you can always just skim the fat off the top.

SuperStressed

I see a lot of people saying pressure cooking doesn't set the gelatin, and like... What?

I get an extremely thick broth even when cooking things like chuck, which has some connective tissue but not much. I usually use pig parts, as they are less expensive, and skim off the fat from the top when it cools. I actually have to dilute the latter with water afterwards, because it stays so thick.

I think broths in general are a good way of using pig/chicken, high PUFA meats. Since you can always just skim the fat off the top.
How long are you pressure cooking for to get the thick broth with chuck? is it an instant pot?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals