How Do You Encourage Facial Nerve Healing After Severe Brain Trauma?

lionel

Been a reader of this great forum for years but first post if my memory is right
My beautiful 16 year old daughter has just spent 6 weeks in critical care after a terrible horse riding accident and while she's recovered from the fracture, bleed, clot and raised ICP which required a drain and she has all her faculties etc,she is left with the inability to move the left side of her face, especially mouth, eyebrows etc. She is also left with a lazy eyelid.

So it has been 2 weeks and no progress with this awful state of affairs, despite me giving her magnesium, pregnenolone, multi vits, cbd oil both orally and twice daily massage with either cbd oil or arnica
NB she is on Debigatron plus isoprolol fumerate.
She also does face exercises, eyebrow raises (only right side moves) and her smile/ laugh is ruined for now. Due to covid rehab is 8 weeks away .

I know time is a healer but is there anything else I can do to stimulate these nerves without disturbing her brain

I am so sorry for what your poor daughter is going through. Carbon dioxide and thyroid, both seem to be miraculous for healing along with progesterone and DHEA. There are also amazing reports using antibiotics such as azithromycin for anti-inflammatory activity on the nervous system. I would probably start there.

shine

I'd try a good b-complex and also titrating up to a high dose of methyl-b12, which has been shown to reverse nerve damage, atleast in rats.

You could also try Ca-HMB, beta hydroxy beta methyl butyrate. It stimulates neurite outgrowth (which is important for nerve regeneration) and can be turned into cholesterol inside tissues, which is critical for nerve health. 1-3g daily.

Also, restoring the ATP levels in damaged nerves is very therapeutic. Depending on her weight you can try giving her 10-30 grams of creatine monohydrate in divided doses for a few weeks/months.

lampofred

Progesterone is the most important thing for brain trauma, more powerful than pregnenolone. But it will affect her cycle, so it has to be timed properly.

I think eating ample amounts of sugar (such as from OJ), never allowing blood sugar to drop, and in particular, avoiding iron, would also help regeneration.

Niacinamide and aspirin would also support the effect of progesterone and sugar by lowering FFA.

I would be careful with multi vitamin pills because they can increase endotoxin and endotoxin stops nerve regeneration. Liver is a good source of nearly all vitamins.

Azithromycin Affords Neuroprotection in Rat Undergone Transient Focal Cerebral Ischemia
Repurposing existing drugs represents a promising approach for successful development of acute stroke therapies. In this context, the macrolide antibiotic azithromycin has been shown to exert neuroprotection in mice due to its immunomodulatory properties. Here, we have demonstrated that acute administration of a single dose of azithromycin upon reperfusion produces a dose-dependent (ED50 = 1.40 mg/kg; 95% CI = 0.48–4.03) reduction of ischemic brain damage measured 22 h after transient (2 h) middle cerebral artery occlusion (MCAo) in adult male rats. Neuroprotection by azithromycin (150 mg/kg, i.p., upon reperfusion) was associated with a significant elevation of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3) phosphorylation in astrocytes and neurons of the peri-ischemic motor cortex as detected after 2 and 22 h of reperfusion. By contrast, in the core region of the striatum, drug administration resulted in a dramatic elevation of STAT3 phosphorylation only after 22 h of reperfusion, being the signal mainly ascribed to infiltrating leukocytes displaying an M2 phenotype. These early molecular events were associated with a long-lasting neuroprotection, since a single dose of azithromycin reduced brain infarct damage and neurological deficit measured up to 7 days of reperfusion. These data, together with the evidence that azithromycin was effective in a clinically relevant time-window (i.e., when administered after 4.5 h of MCAo), provide robust preclinical evidence to support the importance of developing azithromycin as an effective acute therapy for ischemic stroke.

I think hydrogen inhalation would be strikingly helpful too.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S000689932030411X
Hydrogen therapy: from mechanism to cerebral diseases

The medicinal value of hydrogen (H2) was ignored prior to research illustrating that inhalation of 2% H2 can significantly decrease the damage of cerebral ischemia/reperfusion caused by oxidative stress via selective elimination of hydroxyl freebase (OH) and peroxynitrite anion (ONOOˉ). Subsequently, there have been numerous experiments on H2. Most research and trials involving the mechanisms underlying H2 therapy show the effects of antioxygenation, anti-inflammation, and anti-apoptosis. Among quantities of diseases related with H2 therapy, the brain disease is a hotspot as brain tissue and cell damage are easier to be induced by oxidative stress and other stimulations. In this review, emphasis is on stroke, traumatic brain injuries, and degenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease. Taking into account the blood-brain barrier, penetrability, possible side effects, and the molecular properties of H2 within a single comprehensive review should contribute to advancing both clinical and non-clinical research and therapies. A systematic introduction of H2therapy with regards to mechanisms and cerebral diseases both in animal and human subjects can make it easier to comprehend H2 therapy and therefore provide the basis for further clinical strategy.

OP
L

lionel

Thank you for all your replies. This all gives me several avenues to exploe and I am grateful for your help. As for asking her physician, we have and they pooh-poohed progesterone and magnesium...UK years behind.

OP
L

lionel

Azithromycin Affords Neuroprotection in Rat Undergone Transient Focal Cerebral Ischemia
Repurposing existing drugs represents a promising approach for successful development of acute stroke therapies. In this context, the macrolide antibiotic azithromycin has been shown to exert neuroprotection in mice due to its immunomodulatory properties. Here, we have demonstrated that acute administration of a single dose of azithromycin upon reperfusion produces a dose-dependent (ED50 = 1.40 mg/kg; 95% CI = 0.48–4.03) reduction of ischemic brain damage measured 22 h after transient (2 h) middle cerebral artery occlusion (MCAo) in adult male rats. Neuroprotection by azithromycin (150 mg/kg, i.p., upon reperfusion) was associated with a significant elevation of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3) phosphorylation in astrocytes and neurons of the peri-ischemic motor cortex as detected after 2 and 22 h of reperfusion. By contrast, in the core region of the striatum, drug administration resulted in a dramatic elevation of STAT3 phosphorylation only after 22 h of reperfusion, being the signal mainly ascribed to infiltrating leukocytes displaying an M2 phenotype. These early molecular events were associated with a long-lasting neuroprotection, since a single dose of azithromycin reduced brain infarct damage and neurological deficit measured up to 7 days of reperfusion. These data, together with the evidence that azithromycin was effective in a clinically relevant time-window (i.e., when administered after 4.5 h of MCAo), provide robust preclinical evidence to support the importance of developing azithromycin as an effective acute therapy for ischemic stroke.
Thanks for your time. This is very interesting and I understand what you say more so than with the hydrogen therapy but the issue is nerve damage not brain damage we have been told by the neurosugeons..damage caused by fracture behind ear or swelling or both

Injuries were
1/Left parieto-occupital extradural haetoma
2/ Comminuted left skull fracture involving left temporal bone and extending to middle ear and skull base
3/ involvement of left transverse and sigmoid sinus acute thrombosis
If you still think azithromycin pertinent, what doseage strength and frequency would your study recommend for a 75 kilo girl . NB presume no interaction with the dabigatron nor the beta blocker busoprolol fumerate 2.5 mg twice a day

Last edited:
Thanks for your time. This is very interesting and I understand what you say more so than with the hydrogen therapy but the issue is nerve damage not brain damage we have been told by the neurosugeons..damage caused by fracture behind ear or swelling or both

Injuries were
1/Left parieto-occupital extradural haetoma
2/ Comminuted left skull fracture involving left temporal bone and extending to middle ear and skull base
3/ involvement of left transverse and sigmoid sinus acute thrombosis
If you still think azithromycin pertinent, what doseage strength and frequency would your study recommend for a 75 kilo girl . NB presume no interaction with the dabigatron nor the beta blocker busoprolol fumerate 2.5 mg twice a day

I would do both. Hydrogen has amazing capacity. The doses used in the studies of azithromycin were pretty standard doses.

tac a wah

So sorry to hear of your beautiful Daughters injury. I have seen wonderful help with brain injuries using, applying or otherwise, a teaspoon or more of DMSO daily, and using infrared light for 3-4 hours or more also.

Sheila

Hello Lionel,
I am sorry to learn of your daughter's recent accident but delighted to read she is mending.
Time is indeed a great healer and good nutrition coupled with rest can work wonders; she has been through a lot, not least the necessary, but also traumatic interventions. Yet she also has youth on her side which is such a boon.

Since all parts of the body are connected, i have found that working away from the perceived site of trauma can be (more?) helpful, so what about very gentle massage of her feet instead?

Less has seemed to me to be more and ditto with supplements, what can she feel is working perhaps, what does she feel she needs - maybe get her to hold each supplement daily and see, presuming she is willing/able. This also helps, i have found, to give patients some control over their circumstances. Routine, sleep as needed and not too much bent neck stimulation (phone, ipad etc) as those can be very tiring to a recovering brain. Addictive and tiring.

You may not want to stimulate nerves that are currently in need of rest especially as nerves can not be separated from her brain in terms of energy flow although i really do understand the desire to help. If her appetite and nutrition is good then maybe a smidge of b1, say 10mg per meal, backed with a very low dose b complex might be better than a multivit. Most vits and minerals should i think come from food, mag may be an exception for now, but a few tweaks with careful additional b1 has been useful, at least that is my experience, always carefully with observation of any changes (including those seemingly unconnected to ' brain, nerves etc') an essential part, especially those observations made by your daughter.

As for any novel drugs etc., think carefully, maybe try on yourself first, patience may be a virtue here. What you are doing already requires energy to be assimilated. There is also much power in your love and care.

I wish you both godspeed in your healing journey.
Sincerely,
Sheila

BearWithMe

Hello Lionel,
I am sorry to learn of your daughter's recent accident but delighted to read she is mending.
Time is indeed a great healer and good nutrition coupled with rest can work wonders; she has been through a lot, not least the necessary, but also traumatic interventions. Yet she also has youth on her side which is such a boon.

Since all parts of the body are connected, i have found that working away from the perceived site of trauma can be (more?) helpful, so what about very gentle massage of her feet instead?

Less has seemed to me to be more and ditto with supplements, what can she feel is working perhaps, what does she feel she needs - maybe get her to hold each supplement daily and see, presuming she is willing/able. This also helps, i have found, to give patients some control over their circumstances. Routine, sleep as needed and not too much bent neck stimulation (phone, ipad etc) as those can be very tiring to a recovering brain. Addictive and tiring.

You may not want to stimulate nerves that are currently in need of rest especially as nerves can not be separated from her brain in terms of energy flow although i really do understand the desire to help. If her appetite and nutrition is good then maybe a smidge of b1, say 10mg per meal, backed with a very low dose b complex might be better than a multivit. Most vits and minerals should i think come from food, mag may be an exception for now, but a few tweaks with careful additional b1 has been useful, at least that is my experience, always carefully with observation of any changes (including those seemingly unconnected to ' brain, nerves etc') an essential part, especially those observations made by your daughter.

As for any novel drugs etc., think carefully, maybe try on yourself first, patience may be a virtue here. What you are doing already requires energy to be assimilated. There is also much power in your love and care.

I wish you both godspeed in your healing journey.
Sincerely,
Sheila
I see where you are coming from, but when it comes to nerve damage, the sooner you start with the treatment and the more aggressive you are, the better are the chances for recovery.

There is some great advice in this thread. Hydrogen therapy is backed by some very solid studies and B-Vitamins are a must when it comes to nerve health.

As a last resort, I would look into novel peptide-based substances like BPC-157. The research is very limited, but the studies made so far looks incredibly promising

Peptide therapy with pentadecapeptide BPC 157 in traumatic nerve injury - ScienceDirect
Traumatic brain injury in mice and pentadecapeptide BPC 157 effect - ScienceDirect
Nerve injuries: wound healing with the power of peptides

You are doing great job caring about your daughter @lionel

Many parents would just accept the helplessness when abandoned by medical industry.

Please keep on. Wish you and your daughter the best of luck

Last edited:

Sheila

I see where you are coming from, but when it comes to nerve damage, the sooner you start with the treatment and the more aggressive you are, the better are the chances for recovery.
Good morning JanP,
Maybe sir, maybe.

Each person is unique, likely each mouse also, I'm not so sure about them. My experience with acute, chronic, and acute on chronic 'nervous system problems' (a label that is in and of itself wholly inadequate to describe the complexity involved) has slowly become one of 'less is more', observation, reflection (am i seeing what i think i am seeing?), what is happening for the person - mental, physical, emotional, how to restore nervous system balance and, as Diokine puts it, 'fluency'. Fluency of the whole, not just the observed issue be it acute trauma or chronic.

Why do some people heal rapidly, why do others take so long...what, if any degree of injury can be equated, are the contextual factors? In a young lady for example would one not look at the quality of hormone balance that pre-existed any traumatic event? Would that not contribute to the energy available, or not, for healing? How is digestion, what need is there, say in the competitive type, for rest, were there any other pre-existing energy drains? Not just about 'nerves' perhaps.

It seems to me that it takes a lot of energy to rebuild and, outside of life-threatening situations, that after genuine consideration of the existing and pre-existing context, each input needs careful evaluation rather than 'aggressive' application. First do no harm.

Long held 'nerve' injuries can be healed. Whether science has studied this as well, i doubt. Takes time, effort and money with limited reward. Usually written off as 'patient got lucky'. And it is hard to sustain hope in some patients 'after trying so much'. What part does this play in 'nerve' healing? In any chronic healing?

It seems to me, currently, that perception change releases energy that enables remarkable healings. That is harder to achieve in 'fight or flight' which can be exagerated by well meaning, but contextually inappropriate inputs.

I wholly understand the desire 'to do something', to at the very least take some control back when one's life has been turned upside down. But outside of critical care, as i have said, i have found that tempering that desire, stepping back and seeing the whole rather than the current issue alone, has achieved more sustained improvement. And when the person is heard, their input sought on each aspect, rather than things done to them exclusively, the faster all healing, not just nerves, merely one part of the puzzle, occurs. There can also be healing for those that care give, less strain, more peace, greater results.

I am not sure if this is helpful, but I wish you well JanP with your healing path of discovery too.
Sincerely,
Sheila

BearWithMe

Good morning JanP,
Maybe sir, maybe.

Each person is unique, likely each mouse also, I'm not so sure about them. My experience with acute, chronic, and acute on chronic 'nervous system problems' (a label that is in and of itself wholly inadequate to describe the complexity involved) has slowly become one of 'less is more', observation, reflection (am i seeing what i think i am seeing?), what is happening for the person - mental, physical, emotional, how to restore nervous system balance and, as Diokine puts it, 'fluency'. Fluency of the whole, not just the observed issue be it acute trauma or chronic.

Why do some people heal rapidly, why do others take so long...what, if any degree of injury can be equated, are the contextual factors? In a young lady for example would one not look at the quality of hormone balance that pre-existed any traumatic event? Would that not contribute to the energy available, or not, for healing? How is digestion, what need is there, say in the competitive type, for rest, were there any other pre-existing energy drains? Not just about 'nerves' perhaps.

It seems to me that it takes a lot of energy to rebuild and, outside of life-threatening situations, that after genuine consideration of the existing and pre-existing context, each input needs careful evaluation rather than 'aggressive' application. First do no harm.

Long held 'nerve' injuries can be healed. Whether science has studied this as well, i doubt. Takes time, effort and money with limited reward. Usually written off as 'patient got lucky'. And it is hard to sustain hope in some patients 'after trying so much'. What part does this play in 'nerve' healing? In any chronic healing?

It seems to me, currently, that perception change releases energy that enables remarkable healings. That is harder to achieve in 'fight or flight' which can be exagerated by well meaning, but contextually inappropriate inputs.

I wholly understand the desire 'to do something', to at the very least take some control back when one's life has been turned upside down. But outside of critical care, as i have said, i have found that tempering that desire, stepping back and seeing the whole rather than the current issue alone, has achieved more sustained improvement. And when the person is heard, their input sought on each aspect, rather than things done to them exclusively, the faster all healing, not just nerves, merely one part of the puzzle, occurs. There can also be healing for those that care give, less strain, more peace, greater results.

I am not sure if this is helpful, but I wish you well JanP with your healing path of discovery too.
Sincerely,
Sheila
Exactly, do no harm. Here you are doing the harm by having the tools that would very likely improve the outcome, and not utilizing them, for no rational reason.

Yes, long held nerve injuries absolutely can be healed. The chances are dropping with every day you waste, though.

Why would you do that?

BearWithMe

It is extremely unlikely to do any damage by administrating progesterone, hydrogen, b-vitamins or any other treatment described in this thread, but the potential benefits are tremendous.

David PS

I know time is a healer but is there anything else I can do to stimulate these nerves without disturbing her brain

I do not think this situation is so as much about facial nerve healing as it is about neuro-plasticity. The brain will reorganize itself if there is incentive for it to do so. The cerebellum controls movement. The Location and Function of the Cerebellum in the Brain. I do not understand how focused movement could harm or otherwise disturb her brain.

By way of analogy, my Uncle Don had a stroke that partially paralyzed his right hand and he was unable to use his right hand to eat. He was determined to recover and he purposefully tried to move his fingers but was unable to do so. He used his fingers on his left hand to assist and move the fingers that were paralyzed while simultaneously trying to mentally move his right hand fingers. Eventually, over the weeks and months he regained complete control and was able move his hand and fingers on his right side. People forgot that he had a stroke.

My Uncle's stroke happened during his sleep and there was no external force to paralyze his right side. It was internal trauma that caused his brain injury. There was no nerve healing in his hand that need to be done. He conscious efforts to try to move his fingers caused his brain to reorganize so that it could obey and relay the nerve impulses to get the job done.

My beautiful 16 year old daughter has just spent 6 weeks in critical care after a terrible horse riding accident and while she's recovered from the fracture, bleed, clot and raised ICP which required a drain and she has all her faculties etc,she is left with the inability to move the left side of her face, especially mouth, eyebrows etc. She is also left with a lazy eyelid.

My second story relates to my mother's stroke. It left her with a facial droop on her right side. I purchase a device called a Facial Flex (https://www.amazon.com/Facial-Exerc...id=1605545355&sprefix=facial+f,aps,164&sr=8-5 ) At the time, I thought it was overpriced. Now, I think it is worth its weight in gold. My recommendation, is not to perform the exercises while multi-tasking. Concentrate on the exercise and use your fingers to gently assist in the squeeze.

She also does face exercises, eyebrow raises (only right side moves) and her smile/ laugh is ruined for now. Due to covid rehab is 8 weeks away .

YouTube has videos related to facial yoga and eyebrow yoga. It may provide some new ideas. See https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=eyebrow+yoga Many of these videos are massage videos. I would recommend using coconut oil to make the massaging less abrasive to the skin.

Rehab may be much more than 8 weeks away.
https://www.quotemaster.org/images/5e/5ef548e0e5c60b6de5b5702157bf60c3.jpg

Constatine

Lions mane mushroom quite dramatically increases nerve growth factor (NGF) which is exactly what we want for nerve recovery
: Peripheral Nerve Regeneration Following Crush Injury to Rat Peroneal Nerve by Aqueous Extract of Medicinal Mushroom Hericium erinaceus (Bull.: Fr) Pers. (Aphyllophoromycetideae)
: Restoration of sensory dysfunction following peripheral nerve injury by the polysaccharide from culinary and medicinal mushroom, Hericium erinaceus (Bull.: Fr.) Pers. through its neuroregenerative action
lllt might also be useful though I would go to a specialist for this as the correct dosage is incredibly important
: The Efficacy of Low-Level Laser Therapy in the Treatment of Bell’s Palsy in Diabetic Patients
: Low-level laser therapy for spinal cord injury in rats: effects of polarization
: Effects of different fluences of low-level laser therapy in an experimental model of spinal cord injury in rats

Even if the nerve damage is not brain related it does sound like she had quite the TBI. She might suffer from depression and anxiety for several months. Increasing NGF and BDNF (especially bdnf) can help with this.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals