Help For Hyperthyroidism

Arctic Fire

Hey, all. A few questions about hyperthyroidism to help a relative of mine who is struggling (in part thanks to the usual suspects).

He’s taking propranolol for symptoms, but I’m trying to figure out what other Peaty remedies might help him lower stress hormones and get him back to a normal metabolic rate as quickly and safely as possible.

Some of the best weapons in the Peaty arsenal against stress can also up-regulate thyroid function. For example, Haidut has posted about how progesterone and pregnenolone increase T4 -> T3 conversion. Do you know of any safe ways for hyperthyroid people to lower stress hormones without further boosting thyroid function too much? Maybe glycine/gelatin or cyproheptadine?

Also, know any ways to help the body reset thyroid function at a lower, safer level?

Thank you, and happy Thanksgiving.

OP
Arctic Fire

Arctic Fire

PS: My relative says he'll try cabbage juice and liver, which RP has suggested for hyperT. He’s getting standard medical care, so at some point thyroid-opposing drugs may be an option, but likely not for a while.

Tarmander

some cabbage juice will work really quickly. If you can find some kimchi with juice that will be tasty...or sauerkraut

OP
Arctic Fire

Arctic Fire

It may just HYPOthyroidism that's maladapted to LOOK like hyper.

Good point, jitsmonkey. Can be tricky to distinguish the two. Could be wrong, but his warm extremities & temps, the timing of onset of symptoms (after weeks/months of heavy use of caffeine and other pro-metabolic stuff), and his bad responses to pro-metabolic substances now all suggest some sort of hyper-metabolic state to me rather than hypo. But I'll keep your point in mind.

OP
Arctic Fire

Arctic Fire

some cabbage juice will work really quickly. If you can find some kimchi with juice that will be tasty...or sauerkraut

Thanks, Tarmander, that's good news. I had him chew cabbage leaves and swallow the juice. Seemed to help a bit, but hard to get a lot of juice that way.

jitsmonkey

Good point, jitsmonkey. Can be tricky to distinguish the two. Could be wrong, but his warm extremities & temps, the timing of onset of symptoms (after weeks/months of heavy use of caffeine and other pro-metabolic stuff), and his bad responses to pro-metabolic substances now all suggest some sort of hyper-metabolic state to me rather than hypo. But I'll keep your point in mind.

those are all signs of adrenal issues as described in the article I posted
the maladaptation is driven via the adrenals. warm extremities, artificially high temps, excessive use of under fueled stimulants(caff), poor response to metabolic enhancement.... all of those things are (or can be driven by adrenalin).... if I were a betting man I'd be betting on HYPO that looks like hyper

OP
Arctic Fire

Arctic Fire

warm extremities, artificially high temps, excessive use of under fueled stimulants(caff), poor response to metabolic enhancement.... all of those things are (or can be driven by adrenalin)....

Thanks for these thoughts. I'd expect someone hypoT in your scenario above to be cold and lethargic when his stress hormones are temporarily low. My relative is warm and energetic when unstressed. On a recent test, his CO2 was high. Don't think he's been under-fueled very often. He likely was hypoT before all this craziness started, but AFAIK, his main hypoT symptoms are gone. So I don't see hypoT, but I appreciate your point, and I'll keep an open mind.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals