Aspirin - does it help convert T4 to T3? Possible soln. to those with normal T4 but low T3?

milk_lover

I asked haidut about this and he mentioned the following:

"I don't know that it does increase conversion directly, but if it is helpful for the liver it will indirectly increase conversion of T4 into T3."

I found two studies that talk about possible T4 to T3 conversion using Aspirin.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/760253
"Thyroid functions were studied in 11 patients with subacute thyroiditis accompanied by signs and symptoms of hyperthyroidism, and were compared with 13 patients with untreated thyrotoxicosis in which serum T4 was elevated to the identical level. Serum T3 was also elevated in subacute thyroiditis but to a significantly lower extent than in thyrotoxicosis. Therefore the ratio of T4/T3 was significantly higher in subacute thyroiditis than in thyrotoxicosis. Although duration of thyroid swelling was shorter in the group treated by prednisolone than by aspirin, the accelerated ESR, thyroid tenderness and fever subsided almost similarly in the two groups. Serum T4 and T3 levels declined more rapidly in treatment with prednisolone compared with aspirin. In patients treated by aspirin initial increase in T3 level occurred transiently with simultaneous decrease in the T4/T3 ratio. These changes suggest the increase in peripheral conversion of T4 to T3. Even in severe cases of subacute thyroiditis associated with hyperthyroidism, aspirin treatment is an effective therapy and there is no recurrence following withdrawal of the medication."

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1 ... m-43-1-107
"A double-blind study of the effect of two inhibitors of prostaglandin synthesis on the TRH stimulation of serum TSH and prolactin was carried out in 35 normal males. The subjects were evaluated before and after the administration of indomethacin or aspirin for one week. Both indomethacin and aspirin lowered plasma prostaglandin E and F levels significantly. Indomethacin treatment had no effect on the serum TSH or prolactin response to 100 μg TRH or the serum T3 and T4 levels. In contrast, aspirin treatment significantly decreased the serum TSH response to TRH and significantly lowered mean total serum T3 (RIA) and T4 (D). There was no effect on the prolactin response to TRH. These findings suggest that aspirin blocks TRH responsiveness by a mechanism other than the inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis, probably by its previously demonstrated effect on increasing the fraction of unbound thyroid hormone."

Any thoughts?

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43peDkMPbNg

The guy from EastWest Healing said toward the end of the video that "Aspirin helps the liver to store glycogen, which is important for T3 production." I think that resonates with what haidut said, i.e., improved liver function from Aspirin intake. I think he got this glycolysis idea from Ray Peat's article Aspirin, brain, and cancer.
Ray said:
Aspirin activates both glycolysis and mitochondrial respiration,...