Hair Loss After Quitting Supplements

chinup53

For the past 5 months I've been following Ray Peat Guidelines and taking a bunch of supplements related to those goals. I was taking:

·Taurine: 2g/day
·Glycine: 8g/day
·Caffeine: 500mg/day
.Creatine: 6g/day

About 1 week ago I drop all of them because I felt i was taking way too much stuff. Since then my scalp has been itching and I've been suffering a good amount of hair loss/shedding.

Is there any kind of connection here? Should I be taking them again?. I don't want to be dependent to supplements or anything like that but I want to preserve my hair.

postman

Maybe try adding them back 1 at a time, maybe you just need one of them.

Tarmander

Wait, you think caffeine HELPED???? I stopped caffeine 2 months ago for this reason.. lol.

That actually happens quite a bit for people. They are on some stimulant like caffeine or TRT and when they get off it they lose a bunch of hair

OP
C

chinup53

That actually happens quite a bit for people. They are on some stimulant like caffeine or TRT and when they get off it they lose a bunch of hair

I also though that caffeine was doing more harm than good. I will probably try to add it back but in a smaller dosage, like two cups of coffee a day. We will see. But what bother me more is the itchy scalp. I've never felt something like it before.

Tarmander

I also though that caffeine was doing more harm than good. I will probably try to add it back but in a smaller dosage, like two cups of coffee a day. We will see. But what bother me more is the itchy scalp. I've never felt something like it before.
If it was the caffeine, the hair shedding and itch should normalize after a month or so when your body gets back to its natural metabolic rate.

OP
C

chinup53

If it was the caffeine, the hair shedding and itch should normalize after a month or so when your body gets back to its natural metabolic rate.

Nice, I will keep everyone informed. So you suggest right now my metabolism is lower than before?

After dropping the supplements I actually feel much more energetic, passionate, with a higher libido and more muscle mass, which seems quite odd.

Birdie

For the past 5 months I've been following Ray Peat Guidelines and taking a bunch of supplements related to those goals. I was taking:

·Taurine: 2g/day
·Glycine: 8g/day
·Caffeine: 500mg/day
.Creatine: 6g/day

About 1 week ago I drop all of them because I felt i was taking way too much stuff. Since then my scalp has been itching and I've been suffering a good amount of hair loss/shedding.

Is there any kind of connection here? Should I be taking them again?. I don't want to be dependent to supplements or anything like that but I want to preserve my hair.

Thanks for raising this question. My hair began to fall out this month. It also happened in the same month of September in 2017.
So, I'm trying to figure it out too. Less sunshine? Something I'm not eating now?

I'm thinking my dose of liver was low both times. Also, this time I had inadvertently lowered my Vitamin A which Peat says should be in a 5:1 ratio of A to D...
Vitamin A is in liver too. So, that might be my answer. Or part of it.

Peat says he gets caffeine from coffee. He drinks milky coffee with sugar. He said individual (highly processed) amino acids aren't safe and to use gelatin or broth for amino acids.

Hope you figure out yours. I'll watch your progress.

Birdie

I have been using less caffeine, but only for the past week. The hair fall started several weeks before that. Darn.
Wish that were it for me.

OP
C

chinup53

During this week I will try to implement one by one small dosage of the supplements I was taking and see how my body reacts.

OP
C

chinup53

Yesterday I took an antihistaminic (bilastine) and the itch was less noticeable but still there. When I woke up today the itch was strong. Really don’t know what that means but it seems histamine is not the problem.

OP
C

chinup53

Glycine has done the trick. I took 2g this morning and the itch is gone. Also, I've been washing my hair today and massaging the scalp and no hair has fallen. I don't think the lack of glycine was the problem but taking it back was the solution. Seems odd that it helps with hair loss while heavily increasing 5α-R. I will take it though.

Also, I noticed that when taking glycine my allergies are almost no existent. I can go to a dust mites rich environment whit out problems.

Any ideas why?

Progesterone

Glycine has done the trick. I took 2g this morning and the itch is gone. Also, I've been washing my hair today and massaging the scalp and no hair has fallen. I don't think the lack of glycine was the problem but taking it back was the solution. Seems odd that it helps with hair loss while heavily increasing 5α-R. I will take it though.

Also, I noticed that when taking glycine my allergies are almost no existent. I can go to a dust mites rich environment whit out problems.

Any ideas why?

Wow! Thanks for sharing!

What brand Glycine do you use???

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals