B5 Megadose Hair Loss

Brendan452

Hi my name is brendan. I'm new to this forum. I've been on the acne. Org forum for some time.
I'm looking for advice and help after taking b5 in megadose for a long time I began to loose my hair density I stopped b5 a few years ago my rate of hair shedding has slowed down but my hair has lost about 50% it's density and hasn't returned.
Is there anything anyone here can recommend me do or try to stop this hair loss and get my density back.

Thanks

TheSir

Not the first time I hear pantothenic acid causing hair loss.

OP
B

Brendan452

Wish I could turn back time would never have gone near it if I new the outcome.
Only short relief from acne too

GreekDemiGod

Currently taking a B-complex that contains 50 mg of Pantothenic Acid (D-pantothenate, Calcium). You think I should be careful?
Only been taking it for a few weeks.

OP
B

Brendan452

You will be absolutely fine mate it only happens if you take it in mega doses in excess of about 5 grams

Dave Clark

For what it is worth, I had used 500 mg/day of B5 for 30 years, and I have a fuller head of hair than most of my peers at my age. Maybe the hairloss only happens at higher doses, or perhaps it is individualized.

mouse

If the hair never returned after stopping the B5, I wonder if you have gut issues that are causing much less biotin production than is normal. Have you tried supplementing biotin?

OP
B

Brendan452

I have tried biotin a few times and different amounts but doesn't seem to make much difference maybe I should give biotin a bit longer

camagunn

Too much B5 antagonizes biotin, biotin deficiency = hair loss. No point megadosing for acne, make sure you get your RDA atleast of vitamin A, Zinc, Biotin, b5, and the acne will go away.

OP
B

Brendan452

Would you recommend taking daily biotin supplements to stop this hair loss and if so how long should i take biotin for.

Thanks

camagunn

Would you recommend taking daily biotin supplements to stop this hair loss and if so how long should i take biotin for.

Thanks
Maybe, for a week or two. It's better to ensure getting atleast your daily amount of vitamins , this will offer you a balanced amount of b5 and biotin.

mouse

Have you noticed any immune system issues since the hair loss started? In theory, biotin deficiency can cause problems with antibody production. If there's no improvement after a few weeks of 5mg/day of biotin, I would suspect something else is going on.

Ihor

@Brendan452 I think it would be more logical to take the all complex B, and not just one biotin only. Such large doses of b5 for such a long time, it’s more accurate to say, made the imbalance between other vitamins B, so taking only biotin without other vitamins B give you another disbalance, it wil be not such a good idea.

OP
B

Brendan452

That's what I'm cautious about trying anything in high doses again.
Thinking of taking a supplement with all of the b vitamins in the correct ratios thanks

That's what I'm cautious about trying anything in high doses again.
Thinking of taking a supplement with all of the b vitamins in the correct ratios thanks

The answers provided here regarding hairloss through depletion of B7 by B5 are likely correct; however, the solution isn't simple. Biotin, for those prone to facial blemishes, is not ideal because it will increase production of sebum. From the first day of supplementation your face will be glazed with voluminous secretions, and from this environment will spring forth further excresences.

OP
B

Brendan452

That's what I thought and I have been taking biotin supplements for the last 5 months but haven't seen any changes in my hair growth.
I was hoping that someone on here would have a similar experience to me and could give me a definitive answer on the cure

That's what I thought and I have been taking biotin supplements for the last 5 months but haven't seen any changes in my hair growth.
I was hoping that someone on here would have a similar experience to me and could give me a definitive answer on the cure

I have provided my answer in another thread. 500mg pantothenic acid daily for 6-7 months is the most likely cause of a bald spot 2-3cm in diameter that appeared a few years ago. Applying Lugols' mix of iodine and potassium iodide directly to the spot before bed (and stopping B5) grew all the hair back in 4-5 months.

Not as sure about thin hair but my hair was thickest and grew fastest on 1-2 grams of taurine per day (which I no longer eat because it eliminates my zeal for life).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals