Accutane And Hair Loss

Dhair

I think my hair loss may have started as a result of attempting to take a second round of accutane a couple years ago.
I had only taken it for a week, maybe too, but it was around that time that I had started experiencing hair loss and eczema. I had taken a full 6 month round of accutane when I was about 17 and didn't seem to have any problems with side effects.
Following Peat's guidelines, I haven't made any progress with my hair loss situation.
Given that accutane acts somewhat as a chemotherapy drug, and since I was poisoned by an antibiotic that behaves in a similar manner, I think it would be delusional at this point for me to think I could stop it.
Since my situation is hopeless, I'm wondering, could the accutane have "turned on" any snps that I may have had for baldness? Has anyone else experienced this?
I'm a 23 year old male and I've lost more than half of my hair in a 24 month period.
I would also be curious to know if fluoroquinolones and accutane can cause PERMANENT, IRREVERSIBLE mitochondrial damage.

Last edited:

beta pandemic

hey bro i havent taken fluoroquinolones but was given 3 courses of anitbiotics in a 12 month period which ****88 me up real good. that was like 3-4 years ago and im 25 now. i was basically bed ridden for about 2.5 years. honestly those few years are a blur i was so messed up. im well now but if i dont adhere to diet + supplements strictly i deteriorate very quickly. I believe there is a threshold for everyone regarding antibiotic exposure (antibiotic drugs) and the damage is cumulative and permanent. i think it has to do with mitochondria and immune system. it sucks you were accutane for that long combined with the antibiotics...sheesh.

have you ever supplemented vitamin d3 if so how much and for how long? Do you know your vit d level?
whats your diet like? calories/day?
hows your sleep?
are you taking any other supplements?

OP
D

Dhair

hey bro i havent taken fluoroquinolones but was given 3 courses of anitbiotics in a 12 month period which ****88 me up real good. that was like 3-4 years ago and im 25 now. i was basically bed ridden for about 2.5 years. honestly those few years are a blur i was so messed up. im well now but if i dont adhere to diet + supplements strictly i deteriorate very quickly. I believe there is a threshold for everyone regarding antibiotic exposure (antibiotic drugs) and the damage is cumulative and permanent. i think it has to do with mitochondria and immune system. it sucks you were accutane for that long combined with the antibiotics...sheesh.

have you ever supplemented vitamin d3 if so how much and for how long? Do you know your vit d level?
whats your diet like? calories/day?
hows your sleep?
are you taking any other supplements?
How can you say that the damage is cumulative and permanent but you say you're recovered?
Which supplements do you take?

Last edited:
OP
D

Dhair

I don't think there's a reason for mitochondria to keep degenerating after they've been damaged by anything... am I wrong about that ?

DankMemes

I took accutane about a few years ago and it was probably the worst decision I've ever made. It's hard to believe how backwards the medical industry is.

My hair used to be really curly but after accutane it started to dry out and split. I have a buzzcut now because it's just easier.

I'm not sure of accutanes actual mechanism, but apparently it causes issues with the liver. I've been trying caffeine powder, glycine and K2 to treat it - So far I'm finding some androgenic effects.

OP
D

Dhair

I took accutane about a few years ago and it was probably the worst decision I've ever made. It's hard to believe how backwards the medical industry is.

My hair used to be really curly but after accutane it started to dry out and split. I have a buzzcut now because it's just easier.

I'm not sure of accutanes actual mechanism, but apparently it causes issues with the liver. I've been trying caffeine powder, glycine and K2 to treat it - So far I'm finding some androgenic effects.
Was this after a cycle of accutane or only a few pills?
Have you noticed any significant improvements?

DankMemes

A 12 month cycle of 40mg a day.

My skin was actually worse after it, but I soon found peat and a diet that keeps my skin clear.

Methylene blue apparently repairs mitochondrial function, maybe it's worth a shot.

beta pandemic

How can you say that the damage is cumulative and permanent but you say you're recovered?
Which supplements do you take?

did you read my post?? im well because of diet + supplements. that doesnt mean im recovered. if i was recovered i woudnt need to think about being healthy and able to function every day, i just would be, like i was before. im not a science guy. i learn through experience. i do read studies from time to time if i think they have a practical benefit.

you need to get your diet + calorie surplus right before supplementation. once you've got that down you can think about supps and then add the miracle detoxifier that is coffee.

Thoushant

I remember reading some imbalance to B-vitamins because of accutane,
Decreased Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid Concentrations in Acne Patients After Isotretinoin Therapy: A Controlled Study
Statistical significant decrease in b12, although, it's not very much(I think), the study period was 6 months only.
Have you supplemented B12?

There might be other b vitamins too, this one I just found by a quick search.

Also, I've read some acne forums on disturbed lipid metabolism, but that is too complex for me to understand.
If it's a mitochondrial problem, Haidut posted a study showing reversed aging of mitochondria when supplementing with a good amount of Glycine.

Maretch

I have experienced this the last spring, and I was really really depressed about my hair loss, i have never thought that i'll feel so bad about such a thing..
as i found out later it was because of my hormonal dis-balance...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals