Getting Started With Female Hair Loss

johnwester130

Hi Everybody. This is my 2nd post. I'm posting this in the "hair loss" thread rather than the "female issues" thread, since I want input from everybody (and I think both male and female hair loss should be discussed in the main hair loss thread).

My main "issues" are energy/mood/adrenal fatigue and hair loss. I've been shedding a LOT lately, and I've also been experiencing intermittent symptoms of adrenal fatigue. I'm sure they're related, but In this post I'll just ask about getting started with combating hair loss as a woman.

Questions:
1) What's a good way to get started with addressing female hair loss?
2) I purchased a lot of the supplements I've seen recommended: DHEA, pregnenolone, vitamin 3.. but in oral form. Now I'm reading that it might be better to use hormones/supplements on the skin instead? If so, what are the top supplements & brands I should be using topically?
3) Aside from topical supplements, what supplements should I be using internally?
4) What else should I be doing / changing to combat hair loss as a woman?

About me:

- late 30s
- slim (5'6", 120 lb)
- get sunlight regularly (tennis outdoors 4-5x/week) though I always wear sunscreen (as a fair skinned person in the southwest, this is necessary)
-resting heart rate of 60 bpm. don't know temps yet.
- I do get cold easily, but I've always assumed it's due to being thin.
- have been told I have low blood pressure, anemia, and hypoglycemia (was told that in my childhood by various doctors, not sure if it's true - except for low blood pressure. I know that is true. I just don't remember the exact number)
- I actually have pretty good indicators on all levels except for sleep/energy/mood and hair loss. (skin, nails, bm regularity, libido, digestion - all pretty optimal)

"Issues"
My biggest non-optimal health indicators are:
-- Hair shedding (it's always been thin and now it's been shedding A LOT for the past few months)
-- Pretty bad PMS for my entire life (emotional mood swings and depression for a week or so before period) Through meditation and mental work this is getting better, but I would like to also address it through my diet.
-- Adrenal fatigue-like symptoms that come and go. Last week I had major adrenal fatigue symptoms where I would fall back asleep during the day for 4+hours, completely exhausted unable to get things done. Before that for a few months I had really weird sleep patterns - sleeping at 12-1am, waking up at 4 am. I go through periods of only sleeping 4 hours / night, even though when I am "normal" I usually require 7-8hrs/night. This week I feel OK...but in short my sleep and energy cycle is obviously not optimal. I think something is up with my adrenal / thyroid / stress hormones.

Diet
- My diet is a typically standard "healthy" diet (which may or may not be considered healthy by this forum). A very typical day:
-- coffee + coconut milk in morning - 2 cups
-- typical breakfast: eggs + sausage + cheese + spinach scramble
-- typical lunch: salad (lettuce, carrots, celery, cucumbers) + chicken / hamburger on gluten free bun / baked chicken legs
-- typical dinner: beef tacos (home made with soft shell corn tortillas)/ rice spaghetti + meatballs for dinner
--typical snacks: celery + peanut butter / apples + cheese / banana + protein powder + collagen powder + full fat plain yogurt + coconut milk smoothie
-- typical daily calories: probably 1200 or less (I have a naturally low appetite and am definitely an under-eater. I have a hard time eating what is supposedly more than 1200 calories/day)

Other considerations:
-- I have stress due to being self-employed. I"m sure that this is a factor to my adrenal health.
-- Am not on birth control and never have been (except for a few months in my mid-twenties. I couldn't stand it so I got off it immediately)
-- Have never been pregnant

Thanks for your help and insight!

this study shows that testosterone helps hair in women

OP
wealthofwisdom
Hi all, this is the original poster here. I just wanted to stop by to say that I pretty much no longer have the original issue of hair loss like i did when I first posted. Now perhaps this has to do with the fact that i started eating more sugar (lemon flavored popsicles from Outshine have become an addition in the past few months, to be exact) but I actually do think it has to do with the anti-hairloss serum I discovered from a youtube video. For some reason the girl's positive review video stuck out to me and I tracked down a seller on ebay (from some European country) and had them ship me a several month supply. Ever since I started using it (I think in August / Sept of 2020) my hairloss diminished significantly and just stopped being an issue. I still have what I would call normal hair loss, but not in the alarming quantity like before. At this point I have become forgetful with the serum and do not use it regularly like I did at first, but the original issues does not seem to have returned. I can't find that video again (maybe I already posted it here somewhere?) and I don't even remember the original product that she reviewed, but the ACTIVE INGREDIENT in it was Serioxyl. So I tracked down a product that had it on ebay, and purchased it. Seems to be helping me. I tried monoxodil at first and could not stomach the supposedly temporary initial shedding period. I'm a woman, fwiw. Just posting an update, as I myself appreciate updates to posts that I read!

Last edited:
OP
wealthofwisdom
Heya

Similar back story to you. Crazy hair shedding, really freaked me out was a genuine ordeal...
Now my hair no longer sheds excessively, pretty delighted to have a thicker ponytail girth return and texture is silkier, l feel so much more feminine and appreciative of my hair so hope the following helps assure you.

Protocols are: increased salt, freshly squeezed oj every single day, cyproheptadine, aspirin (which I suspect was the game changer), cascara Sagrada, charcoal tablets, lots of strong milky coffee, liver, gelatine, topical progesterone, and last but definitely not least - breathing to increase carbon dioxide. I also embrace sunbathing and keep my skin bare of toxic sunblock but I use Haidut's solban which my skin seems to love.

Before this, I wasted literally thousands of pounds on supplements, topicals and treatments and if anything the hair reduction worsened. I suspect that I've been in an unmitigated state of estrogen dominance since my teens.

I also avoid strenuous cardio and pufa even avocado and salmon which I miss very much but you know, few things I would miss more than my beloved locks of hair.

Nothing I've said here is new to this forum but I hope it offers some encouragement for your health journey ?
This was very helpful, thankyou! I'm just returning to the forum after months away, so just seeing this. Sounds like a good protocol regardless of hairloss, so I might try it. Thanks!

OP
wealthofwisdom
Heya

Similar back story to you. Crazy hair shedding, really freaked me out was a genuine ordeal...
Now my hair no longer sheds excessively, pretty delighted to have a thicker ponytail girth return and texture is silkier, l feel so much more feminine and appreciative of my hair so hope the following helps assure you.

Protocols are: increased salt, freshly squeezed oj every single day, cyproheptadine, aspirin (which I suspect was the game changer), cascara Sagrada, charcoal tablets, lots of strong milky coffee, liver, gelatine, topical progesterone, and last but definitely not least - breathing to increase carbon dioxide. I also embrace sunbathing and keep my skin bare of toxic sunblock but I use Haidut's solban which my skin seems to love.

Before this, I wasted literally thousands of pounds on supplements, topicals and treatments and if anything the hair reduction worsened. I suspect that I've been in an unmitigated state of estrogen dominance since my teens.

I also avoid strenuous cardio and pufa even avocado and salmon which I miss very much but you know, few things I would miss more than my beloved locks of hair.

Nothing I've said here is new to this forum but I hope it offers some encouragement for your health journey ?
Tash, does freshly squeezed oj make a difference to you vs just store bought, in terms of effectiveness? Or do you just prefer the flavor?

OP
wealthofwisdom
Hi all, this is the original poster here. I just wanted to stop by to say that I pretty much no longer have the original issue of hair loss like i did when I first posted. Now perhaps this has to do with the fact that i started eating more sugar (lemon flavored popsicles from Outshine have become an addition in the past few months, to be exact) but I actually do think it has to do with the anti-hairloss serum I discovered from a youtube video. For some reason the girl's positive review video stuck out to me and I tracked down a seller on ebay (from some European country) and had them ship me a several month supply. Ever since I started using it (I think in August / Sept of 2020) my hairloss diminished significantly and just stopped being an issue. I still have what I would call normal hair loss, but not in the alarming quantity like before. At this point I have become forgetful with the serum and do not use it regularly like I did at first, but the original issues does not seem to have returned. I can't find that video again (maybe I already posted it here somewhere?) and I don't even remember the original product that she reviewed, but the ACTIVE INGREDIENT in it was Serioxyl. So I tracked down a product that had it on ebay, and purchased it. Seems to be helping me. I tried monoxodil at first and could not stomach the supposedly temporary initial shedding period. I'm a woman, fwiw. Just posting an update, as I myself appreciate updates to posts that I read!
OK, I guess I didn't tell the entire whole story here. I also started doing upside-down scalp massages with one of those little scalp massage brushes, religiously (every time I shower). I also started taking a variety of new supplements (for other reasons) including my favorite, Niacin (which I take for energy). I've also moved to a hotter state (but was already in a pretty hot state before...now I'm just in pretty much the hottest state in the US). These are all corollaries, but I personally noticed the direct correlation between the serioxyl and the hair loss, and at least in my mind that is what made the difference.

OP
wealthofwisdom
Ok, I finally found the video! That was going to drive me crazy. Here is the original video I watched about the hair loss serum:

The product that she reviews is actually not what I purchased. I just researched the active ingredient, found it listed under another name, and then found another product (there are several) with that active ingredient for sale on ebay.

Oh, and here is a helpful article comparing the active ingredient vs other hairloss actives. I also read that article when I was first researching it: