Gut inflammation...

iLoveSugar

I know gut health is extremely important, but can it really wreck things to a point of almost crippling someone?

Severe anxiety, dizziness, bodywide pain and fatigue, weight gain, extreme nerves and tension?

Having proper digestion for a period of time is something I have never been able to manage, but genuinely curious as to if this could be something that really hinders things this much?

youngsinatra

Intestinal hyperpermeability is often found to precede autoimmune disorders and is suspected to be the means by which abnormal passage of antigens from the intestinal lumen results in an autoimmune response.“

IIRC a lack of microbiome diversity and a lack of symbiotic bacteria cause the pathogenic bacteria to take over and lead to the breakdown of the protect layers of the GI tract that normally seal the intestinal walls. (The microbiome itself and mucus form a protective layer - I might find a good graphic for this) A strong microbiome protect the intestinal wall and can keep LPS and other harmful things away from the intestinal wall.

Gut dysbiosis seems to be the biggest culprit. But it’s not about just killing off the bad bacteria. The tricky part is to re-populate the good bugs.

Water or milk kefir, kimchi, pickled vegetables and sauerkraut are good probiotic sources.

youngsinatra

How many rounds of antibiotics did you had in your lifetime? (circa)

mostlylurking

I know gut health is extremely important, but can it really wreck things to a point of almost crippling someone?
Yes it is very serious: leaky gut/gut disbiosis is linked autoimmune diseases. Gut disbiosis is also linked to Parkinson's Disease.
"In the last two decades it has become clear that Parkinson's disease (PD) is associated with a plethora of gastrointestinal symptoms originating from functional and structural changes in the gut and its associated neural structures. This is of particular interest not only because such symptoms have a major impact on the quality of life of PD patients, but also since accumulating evidence suggests that in at least a subgroup of patients, these disturbances precede the motor symptoms and diagnosis of PD by years and may thus give important insights into the origin and pathogenesis of the disease. In this mini-review we attempt to concisely summarize the current knowledge after two decades of research on the gut-brain axis in PD. We focus on alpha-synuclein pathology, biomarkers, and the gut microbiota and envision the development and impact of these research areas for the two decades to come."

"With the rising prevalence of autoimmune diseases, the role of the environment, specifically the gut microbiota, in disease development has grown to be a major area of study. Recent advances show a relationship and possible cause and effect between the gut microbiota and the initiation or exacerbation of autoimmune diseases. Furthermore, microbial dysbiosis and leaky gut are frequent phenomena in both human autoimmune diseases and the murine autoimmunity models. This review will focus on literature in recent years concerning the gut microbiota and leaky gut in relation to the autoimmune diseases, including systemic lupus erythematosus, type 1 diabetes, and multiple sclerosis."

Severe anxiety, dizziness, bodywide pain and fatigue, weight gain, extreme nerves and tension?
All of these symptoms match those of thiamine deficiency. Thiamine is supposed to be absorbed through the wall of the small intestine. Gut disbiosis/leaky gut can destroy the ability of thiamine to be absorbed.

Thiamine (and magnesium) are needed to repair the digestive tract.
Having proper digestion for a period of time is something I have never been able to manage, but genuinely curious as to if this could be something that really hinders things this much?
Yes; proper digestion is needed for health. Deficiencies happen when nutrients can't be absorbed due to gut disbiosis.

Jonk

I think it definitely can. I have back pain problems and while I never thought my digestion was involved, the pain went away momentarily after a toilet visit. After that I started to take more notice of how my digestion and food choices affected not just the sensation in my abdomen but things like anxiety and general well-being. I'm not saying digestion is the causative factor for your problems but I think it certainly can have a larger impact than people realize, even when our abdomen area feel relatively fine.

I think it definitely can. I have back pain problems and while I never thought my digestion was involved, the pain went away momentarily after a toilet visit. After that I started to take more notice of how my digestion and food choices affected not just the sensation in my abdomen but things like anxiety and general well-being. I'm not saying digestion is the causative factor for your problems but I think it certainly can have a larger impact than people realize, even when our abdomen area feel relatively fine.
This makes sense about your back pain going away after evacuation, because the swollen inflamed intestines push against the nerves in the spine. I get a backache in the night, which will radiate down my left leg, when I eat something inflammatory, which for me is chicken, pork, rice and corn.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Yes it is very serious: leaky gut/gut disbiosis is linked autoimmune diseases. Gut disbiosis is also linked to Parkinson's Disease.
"In the last two decades it has become clear that Parkinson's disease (PD) is associated with a plethora of gastrointestinal symptoms originating from functional and structural changes in the gut and its associated neural structures. This is of particular interest not only because such symptoms have a major impact on the quality of life of PD patients, but also since accumulating evidence suggests that in at least a subgroup of patients, these disturbances precede the motor symptoms and diagnosis of PD by years and may thus give important insights into the origin and pathogenesis of the disease. In this mini-review we attempt to concisely summarize the current knowledge after two decades of research on the gut-brain axis in PD. We focus on alpha-synuclein pathology, biomarkers, and the gut microbiota and envision the development and impact of these research areas for the two decades to come."

"With the rising prevalence of autoimmune diseases, the role of the environment, specifically the gut microbiota, in disease development has grown to be a major area of study. Recent advances show a relationship and possible cause and effect between the gut microbiota and the initiation or exacerbation of autoimmune diseases. Furthermore, microbial dysbiosis and leaky gut are frequent phenomena in both human autoimmune diseases and the murine autoimmunity models. This review will focus on literature in recent years concerning the gut microbiota and leaky gut in relation to the autoimmune diseases, including systemic lupus erythematosus, type 1 diabetes, and multiple sclerosis."

All of these symptoms match those of thiamine deficiency. Thiamine is supposed to be absorbed through the wall of the small intestine. Gut disbiosis/leaky gut can destroy the ability of thiamine to be absorbed.

Thiamine (and magnesium) are needed to repair the digestive tract.

Yes; proper digestion is needed for health. Deficiencies happen when nutrients can't be absorbed due to gut disbiosis.

I've been taking 300mg benfothiamin for 2 months now with no noticeable improvements. Not even enough to think switching sources would benefit.

Greyfox

In my opinion bad digestion and excessive endotoxin is one of the biggest problems to have. Worse than pufa. I had such bad digestion at one point that I couldn't go to the toilet for over a week and when I did it was extremely laboured and uncomfortable. It turned me into a different person. A zombie. Sleep was unpredictable and shallow at best, constant tension throughout the body especially in the legs, irritated and frustrated with everything, brain fog. The thing that helps you process the environment through you, is the thing that is also poisoning you. It slowly was shutting down my organs. My liver was twitching, I couldn't tolerate sugar without becoming hyperglyceamic and itchy. My thoughts go out to you but I will say that breathwork and meditation can turn things around when you need it most. I wish I knew back then how my respiration was essentially shut down because of endotoxin so intervening by consciously relaxing and breathing will bring a much needed reprieve.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

In my opinion bad digestion and excessive endotoxin is one of the biggest problems to have. Worse than pufa. I had such bad digestion at one point that I couldn't go to the toilet for over a week and when I did it was extremely laboured and uncomfortable. It turned me into a different person. A zombie. Sleep was unpredictable and shallow at best, constant tension throughout the body especially in the legs, irritated and frustrated with everything, brain fog. The thing that helps you process the environment through you, is the thing that is also poisoning you. It slowly was shutting down my organs. My liver was twitching, I couldn't tolerate sugar without becoming hyperglyceamic and itchy. My thoughts go out to you but I will say that breathwork and meditation can turn things around when you need it most. I wish I knew back then how my respiration was essentially shut down because of endotoxin so intervening by consciously relaxing and breathing will bring a much needed reprieve.
This is definitely me. Extremely irritable, always frustrated, never relaxed.

Anything in particular help you?

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Have you taken a serious look at your diet? Sugar uses up thiamine. Coffee and tea block it.
I've done so many dietary changes over the years, it's ridiculous. I'm currently limited to meat, milk, ice cream (occasionally), potatoes, squash, eggs, oranges (juiced), sugar, salt, lemons, decaf coffee (once a day).

Peating Force

If I didn't have other problems for which I take drugs that wreck my guts, I'd consider my IBS problem in control.
What I use: probiotics 1x/day (Enzymedica - Digest Basic), prebiotics eod (PureHMO 2'FL) and bone broth (beef) 1-2x/week.
YMMV.

Greyfox

This is definitely me. Extremely irritable, always frustrated, never relaxed.

Anything in particular help you?
Semen retention. It improves my sleep and digestion. Both have a postive feedback loop towards overall health so it's quite a powerful modality. My digestion is almost dead without it.
Also stress. It absolutely just shuts it all down. after doing a decent meditation session I can sometimes feel my digestion kickstarting and then my appetite kicks into action. sometimes I don't even particularly feel stressed but after meditation I realise I was.
Do you have tunnel vision? The periphery of your vision is sort of blurry making your vision narrow. I notice on rare occasions when I get my stress low enough my vision opens up and lets in the full splendor of what I'm looking at. With more vivid colours. Lowering/eliminating starches is what truly helped me realise that i've been dealing with tunnel vision for a long time. A few days starch free and I was struck by how beautiful and open the world looked.
Excessive rumination. being stuck in a state of rumination or internal monologue for some reason causes tension. Or maybe the tension causes rumination, or maybe it's just a feature of cortisol, serotonin and estrogen. Either way it helps to break the cycle and spend time in the moment. Either that or think in images rather than words.
Cyproheptadine has worked wonders in the past for me.
Also I made a post a few weeks ago called "A Unique experience with Niacinamide, Fever and healing"/ There might be some clues in there for you. During the experience one of the benefits I had was impeccable digestion for the first time in years after getting through a pretty painful fever.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals