Can't get rid of Scalp Inflammation which is thinning my hair fast.. help!

helpmyhair

So I have been having a lot of scalp inflammation the last 10 months and have lost at least half the density of my hair which is really really depressing. I don't know what to do about it.

Two things that happened in that 10 months that lead me to believe why this is happening. 1) Massive stress/depression/anxiety from a break-up which I still have to this day because I can't get over it. It kills me. and 2) In that same period, I have been dealing with stomach pains and poor digestion.

So I think the combo of stress/anxiety and stomach inflammation is what is making my scalp itch so much and thin out so quickly. I really don't know what to do as I've been in therapy for the mental issues, tried natural stuff like magnesium and not really having much luck. And for my stomach, I've done rounds of antibiotics, tests like colonoscopy, endoscopy, x-ray, blood tests, stool tests, and ultrasounds. Each time I did a round of antibiotics, I did feel like my stomach improved considerably as did the scalp inflammation and my hair felt better. But after a month, my stomach pains would rebound and the scalp inflammation and intense shedding would resume.

So what can I do to fix the above issues? And what else can I do about scalp inflammation, intense shedding, and hair thinning?

Summer

if all else fails, you’ll have to be conscious of what you’re eating. There’s likely a food or combination of foods that is causing the irritation.

Peachy

Sometimes blow drying can help with scalp itch. Kills fungus maybe?

L_C

Hm, it seems like your anxiety & depression causing digestive and stomach problems. And since the first is not resolved, your stomach problems keep on persisiting.

Maybe, hormonal & thyroid panel might help. You already did many tests so unsure what else. I would mainly focus on mental health. Do you know why she broke up with you? To know that could help to resolve the mental issues faster.

jameske

Getting rid of the severity of your anxiety would seem paramount to me. Bag breathing. Melatonin. Pregnenolone. Avoid caffeine. Plenty of sleep, and try to be around people that lift your spirits in your waking hours. Calm yourself down and try not to be alone with your thoughts or dwell on them. Keep yourself active and busy in your waking hours. If the anxiety and turmoil in your life is causing your hair to fall out, calming yourself down will help it return.

Melatonin in small amounts is very helpful for reducing anxiety and aiding sleep. Crush a few pills and use a wet finger to take very small amounts throughout the day as needed to reduce anxiety. It fairly quick acting. On the order of 30 minutes to 1 hour. For sleep take a slightly higher dose. Pregnenolone will help coping and strengthen your constitution. Increased sleep will help your body and mind rest from the anguish you are feeling. Returning to a state of calmness will improve your mood and your prospects for adaptation and change, and for your hair to return. Be patient.

PopSocket

Apple cider vinegar 30% ACV and 70% water(distilled is best, spring water 2nd best), some do 50/50. Make sure it has the mother in it. Leave it for an hour then rinse it off with clean water. Should work pretty fast like on the 2nd or 3rd day. Some sleep with it and say it works best this way.

Buying a shower filter is a good idea too if you haven't done so already. It is a must if you have hair issues. The tap water we bath in is total ***t.

Now this might sound a bit gross but urine on the scalp might also help(urine therapy). Would try ACV first though. IF you try the ACV , let me know if it worked for you.

Apple cider vinegar 30% ACV and 70% water(distilled is best, spring water 2nd best), some do 50/50. Make sure it has the mother in it. Leave it for an hour then rinse it off with clean water. Should work pretty fast like on the 2nd or 3rd day. Some sleep with it and say it works best this way.

Buying a shower filter is a good idea too if you haven't done so already. It is a must if you have hair issues. The tap water we bath in is total ***t.

Now this might sound a bit gross but urine on the scalp might also help(urine therapy). Would try ACV first though. IF you try the ACV , let me know if it worked for you.
With this method do you just splash it on your head and leave that for an hour? Because it will basically be the consistency of water. Unless I’m not getting it.

PopSocket

With this method do you just splash it on your head and leave that for an hour? Because it will basically be the consistency of water. Unless I’m not getting it.
Yes, the consistency is watery. I would imagine many different methods would work to put it on the scalp. I used a spray bottle. Sprayed it on an area and massage for a few seconds to spread evenly and engulf the whole scalp area without going into my eyes/face, even though it does drip a bit. Then spray a bit more after it starts to dry out. Someone on this forum I don't remember who mentioned putting a plastic bag on the head and leave it for the night for best results. Never tried it though as it seems excessive and can't sleep with a plastic bag on the head.

Yes, the consistency is watery. I would imagine many different methods would work to put it on the scalp. I used a spray bottle. Sprayed it on an area and massage for a few seconds to spread evenly and engulf the whole scalp area without going into my eyes/face, even though it does drip a bit. Then spray a bit more after it starts to dry out. Someone on this forum I don't remember who mentioned putting a plastic bag on the head and leave it for the night for best results. Never tried it though as it seems excessive and can't sleep with a plastic bag on the head.
Thanks. All night sounds like it may make the rest fall out. I’ll start out small.

mrchibbs

I went through this in my early 20s, it's the intense emotional stress that has to be resolved and quick, before the inflammation becomes chronic and fibrosis sets in...

I know it's easier said than done and you can't force yourself to "get over it". You can however force yourself to workout, and get sun tanned, eat highly nutritious foods and take immediate steps to improve your life situation.

Sometimes it's absurd how quickly you can find yourself feeling better (within a few weeks) if you actively try.

Sila

Chlorine dioxide (activated mms) fixed my scalp inflammation (breaks down toxins), and low vitamin A diet stopped my hair thinning on sides and nape.

yerrag

Amadha Vollmer said some flowers of sulfur added to urine ( ages urine being better) and applied on the scalp would help.

I've been wanting to try this but its just low priority for me with other issues I want to deal with first.

Last edited:

PopSocket

Amadha Vollmer said some flowers of sulfur added to urine ( ages urine being better) and applied on the scalp would help.

I've been wanting to try this but its just low priority for me with other issues I want to deal with first.
Interesting. Will try it out to see how it works. So far haven't added anything directly externally before applying. Mainly relying on the body to make it for me.

Was experimenting with vit E(by haidut) internally for a few days before sleep that turns into γ-CEHC in urine. Seems to working quite well too for scalp, hair and skin.

Another thing I would like to try next is adding a bit more gamma-tocopherol in the mix which speeds up metabolism of alpha and more γ-CEHC is released. The effect of gamma-tocopherol administration on alpha-tocopherol levels and metabolism in humans - PubMed

LadyRae

My 17 year old daughter has dealt with dandruff off and on throughout her life, and she has really long hair so applying tropical products and leaving them on can be tricky. She got a silk bonnet off of Amazon and has had some good luck with applying the apple cider vinegar solution, and then massaging in some castor oil, wearing the bonnet overnight, and then washing it out in the morning.

After 2 or 3 nights of this her scalp is very clean and soft and the dandruff is gone. She did this a couple months ago and I don't think she's had to do it since. She has also been eating a few oysters every single day even though she doesn't like them and we think the zinc is helping to keep the dandruff away...

OP
H

helpmyhair

Hm, it seems like your anxiety & depression causing digestive and stomach problems. And since the first is not resolved, your stomach problems keep on persisiting.

Maybe, hormonal & thyroid panel might help. You already did many tests so unsure what else. I would mainly focus on mental health. Do you know why she broke up with you? To know that could help to resolve the mental issues faster.
Yes I am doing a blood test/full blood panel later this week or next. Also urine test. I agree that the anxiety and depression have a link to the stomach problems. She told me why but I dunno. I think part of it has to do with my hair changing.. which is depressing. I look so bad with crappy hair. Its a defining feature for me so I really need to figure a way to fix this

OP
H

helpmyhair

Getting rid of the severity of your anxiety would seem paramount to me. Bag breathing. Melatonin. Pregnenolone. Avoid caffeine. Plenty of sleep, and try to be around people that lift your spirits in your waking hours. Calm yourself down and try not to be alone with your thoughts or dwell on them. Keep yourself active and busy in your waking hours. If the anxiety and turmoil in your life is causing your hair to fall out, calming yourself down will help it return.

Melatonin in small amounts is very helpful for reducing anxiety and aiding sleep. Crush a few pills and use a wet finger to take very small amounts throughout the day as needed to reduce anxiety. It fairly quick acting. On the order of 30 minutes to 1 hour. For sleep take a slightly higher dose. Pregnenolone will help coping and strengthen your constitution. Increased sleep will help your body and mind rest from the anguish you are feeling. Returning to a state of calmness will improve your mood and your prospects for adaptation and change, and for your hair to return. Be patient.
Thing is, I've had anxiety for years as well as a bit of depression, but for the last 10 months, they have been in overdrive. So doing regular things are not enough help. My doctor just prescribed me antidepressants.. Wellbutrin. Also got Hydroxyzine which I will try first as it will help both the anxiety and the itching. Still deciding if I'm gonna take it. In regards to your morning advice, sometimes its very difficult even just getting out of bed. Can take me over an hour or two most times.

OP
H

helpmyhair

I used to do the ACV rince.. would keep it on for about 5 minutes in my shower. It did definitely calm the scalp itching and inflammation. But more so for in the moment, maybe for the day. It wouldn't really cure the issue which leads me to believe its internal. I also get some itching on my face and parts of my body, but not nearly as bad as my scalp. I stopped doing the ACV rinse as it would make me smell like feet, even after a shower.. and when I would sweat, I would even smell it. Would take weeks to go away after stopping the rinse. Might try it again short term. I have a half bottle of Bragg ACV.. but haven't used it in 6 months.. think its still good?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals