Scalp Inflammation And Increased Shedding (hypothyroid)

desantis

Hi,
So for the past 18 months I have been dealing with scalp inflammation and shedding. It's not really a typically pattern, I'm pretty sure it is diffused thinning. It's not really noticeable to people yet other than me. My scalp feels like it's on freaking fire sometimes. Also, the sides seem to be thinning, so the sides around the ears and nape even.
I was diagnosed with hashimoto's about 1 year ago and have been taking synthroid ever since. I've been on 75mg for about 6 months now. I noticed a decrease in shedding and burning of the scalp, but now it seems to have returned. I suspect I need to adjust the meds.

Basically, I am new to this whole community, and since I am going to my endo in a few days, I would like to run a whole gambit of tests. What levels should I ask to test for that might aid in solving my scalp and hair problems, or at least point in the right direction in general?

Elize

Best guidance on Thyroid issues would be look at the blog and YouTube video's of Dr Westin Childs.

Good luck

Elize

Elize

I found it stopped once I was in the right dose for my body. T3 triggered hair loss for me as it impacts my adrenals

BigChad

Hi,
So for the past 18 months I have been dealing with scalp inflammation and shedding. It's not really a typically pattern, I'm pretty sure it is diffused thinning. It's not really noticeable to people yet other than me. My scalp feels like it's on freaking fire sometimes. Also, the sides seem to be thinning, so the sides around the ears and nape even.
I was diagnosed with hashimoto's about 1 year ago and have been taking synthroid ever since. I've been on 75mg for about 6 months now. I noticed a decrease in shedding and burning of the scalp, but now it seems to have returned. I suspect I need to adjust the meds.

Basically, I am new to this whole community, and since I am going to my endo in a few days, I would like to run a whole gambit of tests. What levels should I ask to test for that might aid in solving my scalp and hair problems, or at least point in the right direction in general?

could you describe your diet and supplement intake around the time you got hashimotos and the year prior to the day you got it?
from my understanding, vitamin A and iodine excess combined with vitamin d/selenium deficiency can cause autoimmune diseases. i'm curious to hear more about your diet. did you always have the hashimotos symptoms or was there a certain time period you noticed hashimotos symptoms start to appear?

OP
D

desantis

could you describe your diet and supplement intake around the time you got hashimotos and the year prior to the day you got it?
from my understanding, vitamin A and iodine excess combined with vitamin d/selenium deficiency can cause autoimmune diseases. i'm curious to hear more about your diet. did you always have the hashimotos symptoms or was there a certain time period you noticed hashimotos symptoms start to appear?

I don't remember exactly what I ate a year prior to being diagnosed. I believe I was eating a lot of chicken, rice, oatmeal. I would eat a lot of junk food since i was in college still and it was cheap, foods that were probably high in PUFAs. I have tests showing low Vit D also, and my most recent tests show low Vit D even still.

I do remember after a night out of drinking, I woke up with my scalp absolutely on fire. Burning like crazy, and then the hair started falling out like crazy. It was nonstop since then until I started taking synthroid.

I started noticing lethargy about a few months before getting my blood work done. I got bloodwork done twice before getting diagnosed. My TSH in the initial tests were like 5.6, but nothing was done at that time; no treatment, but doctor said to keep an eye on it. So the following year, still feeling like crap, waking up tired after like 9-10 hours of sleep, I went back for more blood work. this time my TSH was 7.3, so it went up. It was then that I started synthroid, and I notice more energy now. But my scalp is still on fire sometimes, and the burning is on the sides of my head mainly. Definitely diffused thinning across the whole scalp as opposed to just the temples or crown as you would expect in MPB.

since starting taking levothyroxine, i notice less shedding, less burning, but the symptoms are returning.

BigChad

I don't remember exactly what I ate a year prior to being diagnosed. I believe I was eating a lot of chicken, rice, oatmeal. I would eat a lot of junk food since i was in college still and it was cheap, foods that were probably high in PUFAs. I have tests showing low Vit D also, and my most recent tests show low Vit D even still.

I do remember after a night out of drinking, I woke up with my scalp absolutely on fire. Burning like crazy, and then the hair started falling out like crazy. It was nonstop since then until I started taking synthroid.

I started noticing lethargy about a few months before getting my blood work done. I got bloodwork done twice before getting diagnosed. My TSH in the initial tests were like 5.6, but nothing was done at that time; no treatment, but doctor said to keep an eye on it. So the following year, still feeling like crap, waking up tired after like 9-10 hours of sleep, I went back for more blood work. this time my TSH was 7.3, so it went up. It was then that I started synthroid, and I notice more energy now. But my scalp is still on fire sometimes, and the burning is on the sides of my head mainly. Definitely diffused thinning across the whole scalp as opposed to just the temples or crown as you would expect in MPB.

since starting taking levothyroxine, i notice less shedding, less burning, but the symptoms are returning.

i think those thyroid medications wont fix the issues long term? did you start using vitamin d3 or any other supplements

OP
D

desantis

i think those thyroid medications wont fix the issues long term? did you start using vitamin d3 or any other supplements
No. I don't take supplemental D3 or anything else. I only take thyroid.

Elize

NDT did not work out for me, neither Synthroid due to fillers used. I am doing way better on Tirosint-Sol. It is Levothyroxine solution and only have the active ingredient, glycerin and water. I use no supplements but just ordered a Vitamin B1 powder with no fillers

OP
D

desantis

NDT did not work out for me, neither Synthroid due to fillers used. I am doing way better on Tirosint-Sol. It is Levothyroxine solution and only have the active ingredient, glycerin and water. I use no supplements but just ordered a Vitamin B1 powder with no fillers
my TSH is getting lowered though, so it must be working in a beneficial way. Did you experience scalp inflammation and hair fall before and while using synthroid?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals