High Dose Niacinamide Relieves My Scalp Itch

LukeL

32, Male

I have been experiencing diffuse thinning hair loss for a little over 2 years now and I have been 'peating' for about 4 months. I am still shedding daily but I have noticed when I take a dose of 650mg of Niacinamide my scalp itch stops for a good 6-8 hours.

The last 4 years prior to peating I was eating massive amounts of PUFA daily - nuts, seeds, bacon, fish oil etc

Does anyone know why Niacinamide affects scalp itch - is scalp itch caused by PUFA? I thought it was caused by an inflammatory response from mast cells...

Anyway, I figure anything that stops my scalp itch is a good precursor to halting hair loss? :)

PakPik

High PUFA in tissues can def. enhance or activate mast cell histamine production, among other mediators.

"Niacinamide has been shown to block mast cell degranulation and inhibit protease release from leukocytes" isbn:0702028584 - Google Search page 279

"Nicotinamide is an inhibitor of poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 (PARP-1) that, through enhancement of nuclear kappa B-mediated transcription, plays a pivotal role in the expression of inflammatory cytokines, chemokines, adhesion molecules, and inflammatory mediators. Through interaction with CD38 and inhibition of IL-1, IL-12, and TNF-alpha production, nicotinamide produces a mild TH2 bias. Nicotinamide is a potent phosphodiesterase inhibitor and suppresses neutrophil chemotaxis and mast cell histamine release. It inhibits nitric oxide synthase mRNA induction and suppresses antigen-induced lymphocyte transformation." Nicotinamide: a potential addition to the anti-psoriatic weaponry. - PubMed - NCBI

OP
LukeL

LukeL

@PakPik do you know how long it takes for people to clean their bodies of excess PUFA? I know everyone is different and people have their own anecdotal evidence but I just need a general idea of how long something like that takes if one is taking the proper steps to speed up the process

PakPik

According to Peat it takes around 4 yrs to fully reflect a substantially improved fatty acid profile; this is of course assuming the person sticks to a low PUFA diet. Peat suggests that the intake of PUFA shouldn't go above 4 grams daily. Also, leaner people will get fatty acid profile changes more readily than overweight peoeple.
That said, there are variables that can enhance or slow the fatty acid "detox". Good thyroid and metabolic function plus a working liver can do the job much faster and effectively than having a malfunctoning, sluggish liver and metabolism, since the liver needs to glucoronidate the PUFAs in order to excrete and this process requires the lead of T3. Also, the lower the daily PUFA consumption, the faster a person can expect this turnover to be. I've personally stuck with around max 1 gr PUFA daily with great results. I wasn't improving very much when I had 4 grams daily.
Small amounts of aspirin or niacinamide multiple times daily, plus avoidance of low blood sugar/high stress hormones episodes by eating frequent carb/sugar-including meals and other strategies, can help ward off lipolysis, which in the end is what matters the most: keeping the PUFA as safely stored as possible and only mobilize and detox whatever small amount your body can deal with at a time.

johnwester130

vitamin e

coconut oil

perhaps niacin flushing - but not reccomended

zinc

maybe astaxanthin - more research is needed

can fight off the PUFA

ddjd

32, Male

I have been experiencing diffuse thinning hair loss for a little over 2 years now and I have been 'peating' for about 4 months. I am still shedding daily but I have noticed when I take a dose of 650mg of Niacinamide my scalp itch stops for a good 6-8 hours.

The last 4 years prior to peating I was eating massive amounts of PUFA daily - nuts, seeds, bacon, fish oil etc

Does anyone know why Niacinamide affects scalp itch - is scalp itch caused by PUFA? I thought it was caused by an inflammatory response from mast cells...

Anyway, I figure anything that stops my scalp itch is a good precursor to halting hair loss? :)

Hi Luke, ive been peating for about 3 years now. ive got a similar story re the hair loss. exact same thing of getting itchy scalp and diffuse thinning. Its taken me a long time but i think ive almost got it figured out. My view is that its a symptomn of high adrenaline. All of the supplements which lower adrenaline stop both my itchy scalp and hair loss for about 2-4 hours.

here's my list of anti hair loss supps in case you're interested:

niacinamide, beta alanine, vitamin c, b6p5p, vit a retinol acetate, biotin, taurine, lysine, agmatine, caprylic acid, msm. salt, inosine, cyproheptadine, clodinine.

a big thing to watch out for is histamine, because histamine raises your adrenaline. so as a test you could have an orange or clementine which is high in histamine and i will always get scalp itch and hair loss following that.

i think adrenaline basically is a vasoconstrictor so it makes sense that it would restrict blood flow to the scalp and cause hair to fall out, but particularly in this diffuse fashion like we both have. i also notice hair loss increases at times when i have cold hands and cold feet which also indicates high adrenaline.

let me know if any of this works for you and would be good to hear your thoughts.

TubZy

Hi Luke, ive been peating for about 3 years now. ive got a similar story re the hair loss. exact same thing of getting itchy scalp and diffuse thinning. Its taken me a long time but i think ive almost got it figured out. My view is that its a symptomn of high adrenaline. All of the supplements which lower adrenaline stop both my itchy scalp and hair loss for about 2-4 hours.

niacinamide, beta alanine, vitamin c, b6p5p, vit a retinol acetate, biotin, taurine, lysine, agmatine, caprylic acid, msm. salt, inosine, cyproheptadine, clodinine.

a big thing to watch out for is histamine, because histamine raises your adrenaline. so as a test you could have an orange or clementine which is high in histamine and i will always get scalp itch and hair loss following that.

i think adrenaline basically is a vasoconstrictor so it makes sense that it would restrict blood flow to the scalp and cause hair to fall out, but particularly in this diffuse fashion like we both have. i also notice hair loss increases at times when i have cold hands and cold feet which also indicates high adrenaline.

let me know if any of this works for you and would be good to hear your thoughts.

I think you are right about the adrenaline response that causes the itch although I always associated it to cortisol i.e. I always would notice my scalp would itch and hair shedding would increase when severely stressful situations. I guess that really correlates to insulin sensitivity, glycogen stores etc....another way biotin, niacinamide, taurine could help too.

sladerunner69

32, Male

Scalp itch I think is associated with estrogen. PUFA promotes esteogen as Peat proclaims. Niacinimide blocks the release of pufa.

I am intereated to onow if youve had any side effects?? Like possibly headaches or fatigue? When I take over a gram of niacinmide daily I get tired and feel weird.

mujuro

Likewise. Also if I get lazy with diet and don't keep carbohydrates up. I have a lot of muscle mass, and I always underestimate my caloric needs in a physical sense i.e. I don't realize how much foodmass I actually have to eat every day.

OP
LukeL

LukeL

Yeah adrenaline is probably a factor as well although it's hard to distinguish which stress hormone is the culprit. If you do a simple google search on serotonin there are a lot of studies on 'itching' associated with increased serotonin levels...

Although niacinamide stopped my scalp itch it never stopped my hair loss. Now I am experimenting with simple topicals like coffee, aspirin, and MB and I am experiencing positive results - I will post more in a month when I've given it a proper trial

Have you managed to stop your hair loss?

ddjd

no cant stop it completely but its halted on the most part i think. i rotate all of those supps i listed and each of them stops hair loss for 2-4 hours so i just use them regularly.

i spent 6 months living at very high altitude in bolivia and that completely restored my hair vitality but now back at sea level its not looking so good again. but basically just as ray said, carbon dioxide is ridiculously good for hair and general metabolism etc. and pretty much 99% of the bolivians have thick full heads of black hair - its a joke when you go over there to see these 80 year old women without any grey hair

ddjd

serotonin there are a lot of studies on 'itching' associated with increased serotonin levels...

have you tried cypro. that completely stops any hair loss for me for about 12 hours and it completely reduces serotonin

tomisonbottom

Yeah adrenaline is probably a factor as well although it's hard to distinguish which stress hormone is the culprit. If you do a simple google search on serotonin there are a lot of studies on 'itching' associated with increased serotonin levels...

Although niacinamide stopped my scalp itch it never stopped my hair loss. Now I am experimenting with simple topicals like coffee, aspirin, and MB and I am experiencing positive results - I will post more in a month when I've given it a proper trial

How's the trial going?

OP
LukeL

LukeL

Coffee, aspirin, MB always made my hair quality feel better and helped decrease shedding - it didn’t stop the shedding however

ddjd

Coffee, aspirin, MB always made my hair quality feel better and helped decrease shedding - it didn’t stop the shedding however
Methylene blue in high amounts will actually increase Serotonin and Adrenaline so also increases shedding but I agree it helps hair health long term (I think)

sladerunner69

32, Male

PUFA is arguably the leading cause of oxidative stress and therefore the catalyst of pattern baldness. Niacinimide inhibits fat oxidation.