Early 40's And Thinning Hair - Help?

OP
I

Iron Man

I don't know peats stance on hydrocortisone cream as well but from my own personal experience it speeds up the regrowth a tad. So I hope with some heavy derma rolling and the cream it will go a lot faster so I can discontinue using the cream.

Yeah... I am not sure about the hydrocortisone either. This is a form of a steroid (if I understand it correctly). I remember a Doctor once telling me to steer clear of it.

OP
I

Iron Man

I'm getting mine today so I will test it out. I think a lot of guys that arent getting results also eat like ****. Most of these guys have a bad life style. I was reading on some forums and they said they will drink a few beers to numb the pain. As you can see from the study it took 12 weeks. But if you follow a peaty approach it should be faster. I also use 1% hydrocortisone cream and it seems to speed up my hair regrowth as well so perhaps combining these 2 will make it go even faster. I will post updates once i have been rolling for a few weeks

You have encouraged me to order a new derma roller. I will get one this week and give it another go. I would do the rolling once every 2nd week. I would do it to the point of bleeding and then let it heal. Hurts like crazy, but that is life.

fradon

I am naturally a stressy kind of person and used to have chronic inflammation (chronic dandruff, rosacea etc).

So much is out there on hair. Some of it is so confusing...[/QUOTE]

b vitamins and zinc...b vitamins from animal food sources...liver is good and the cholesterol which help with testosterone...it has b vitmains and zinc...avoid sugar, processed foods like cakes, donuts, pizza.

OP
I

Iron Man

So Iron Man, did you manage to get your thinning under control?

It is hard to tell... Sometimes I think I have, sometimes I think it is holding steady. I have taken pictures dating back to 2011 to monitor my hair. Last time I compared recent pictures to older ones, it looked like things were improving. Keep in mind though, we are not talking a miraculous transformation or anything, but it looks noticeable.

OP
I

Iron Man

I am sure that I am hypothyroid and am confused on which of Idealabs thyroid to take. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Do I take the T3/T4 combo?

Herr.H.Hirsuite

To be fair Iron Man, it may be more worthwhile to get your thyroid levels tested before deciding on whether you are hypothyroid or not. That way you can make an appropriate decision on which thyroid supplememnt is required, if at all. I myself, are in a similar boat to yourself, with hairline recession,, and although I have definite hypothyroid symptoms (fatigue, hairloss (scalp, eyebrows, legs), cold extremities), I also have hyperthyroid symptoms (weight loss, low calcium etc). . By looking at relative levels of TSH, T3,T4 and rT3, you can then make an informed decision.

Incidentally, you mention you are quite a stressy person, so have you had your cortisol and adrenaline tested? Have you had a look at your estrogen levels?

Last edited:

marsaday

Sounds thyroid with high cholesterol. HC is a classic low thyroid sign. The thyroid shunts the cholesterol into the steroid hormones. try some t4 starting on 25mcg. what are your thyroid results

OP
I

Iron Man

Sounds thyroid with high cholesterol. HC is a classic low thyroid sign. The thyroid shunts the cholesterol into the steroid hormones. try some t4 starting on 25mcg. what are your thyroid results
Thanks for the reply!
I was using natural thyroid and Tyromix (Idealabs) and then ran out. Are you saying I should just order the T4 from Idealabs?

marsaday

Best to use individual hormones separately first and then bring them together if still no improvements. Men tend to do fine on T4 only so this would be the first port of call. A low dose is the best way to start. Many people take too much hormone initially and it cocks the body up.

So T4 (synthroid) at 25mcg. Get some blood tests done before you start though. Have you had some bloods done ? You must have your TSH and FT4 and FT3 numbers if you have been having testosterone, prolactin tested etc. What are these results.

Typical replacements doses for T4 are 1.8mg per kg. A normal replacement dose of T4 is 125-150mcg per day for most people. Some patients need as much as 500mcg to feel better though. I would say ALL older people would benefit from some thyroid medication from 50/60 upwards.

A 50mcg top up can be really useful for people struggling with energy, but you need to check your status before hand.

I haven't talked about T3 because i always think it is better to go for T4 treatment first and see how things work out. T3 is great, but if T4 works for you then it is easier to work with generally.

OP
I

Iron Man

My Testosterone has been ranging from 7 nmol to 9nmol ( 202 ng/dl - 260 ng / dl ). That is one issue...
Here are some results from my last blood test;

TSH - 0.5 mIU/L ( Reference range - 0.3 - 3.5 )
Free T4 - 14.9 pmol/L ( Reference range - 9.0 - 19.0 )

Prolactin - 110 mIU/L ( Reference range - less than 500 )

Total PSA - 0.29 ug/L ( Reference range - 0.25 - 2.2 )

Cortisol - 267 nmol ( Reference range - 100 - 535 )

Chemistry (serum)

Sodium - 141 mmol/L ( Reference range - 135 - 145 )
Potassium - 4.7 mmol/L ( Reference range - 3.5 - 5.5 )
Chloride - 107 mmol/L ( Reference range - 135 - 145 )
Bicarbonate - 21 mmol/L ( Reference range - 20 - 32 )
Anion Gap - 13 mmol/L ( Reference range - 5 - 15 )

Ca (corr) - 2.34 mmol/L ( Reference range - 2.10 - 2.55 )
Phosphate - 1.1 mmol/L ( Reference range - 0.8 - 1.5 )

Urea - 5.6 mmol/L ( Reference range - 3.0 - 8.0 )
Urate - 0.40 mmol/L ( Reference range - 0.20 - 0.50 )
Creatinine - 73 umol/L ( Reference range - 60 - 110 )
eGFR - >90 ( Reference Range - >59 )

Fast Glucose - 5.6 mmol/L ( Reference range - 3.6 - 6.0 )
Random Glucose - 4.7 mmol/L ( Reference range - 3.6 – 7.7 )

Total Protein - 74 g/L ( Reference Range - 66 - 83 )
Albumin - 47 gL ( Reference Range - 39 - 50 )
Globulin - 27 g/L ( Reference Range - 20 - 39 )
T Bilirubin - 12 umol/L ( Reference range - 4 - 20 )
ALP - 60 U/L ( Reference Range - 35 - 110 )
AST - 40 U/L ( Reference Range - 10 - 40 )
ALT - 66 U/L ( Reference Range - 5 - 40 )
GGT - 33 U/L ( Reference Range - 5 - 40 )
LDH - 193 U/L ( Reference Range - 120 - 250 )

Cholesterol - 6.7 mmol/L ( Reference range - 3.9 - 5.5 )

Haemolysis Index - 11 ( Reference Range - 0 - 40 )

Androgens

Testosterone - 8.5 nmol/L ( Reference Range - 11.0 - 40.0 )

Anaemia Profile

Iron - 25 umol/L ( Reference Range - 5 - 30 )
Transferrin – 2.3 g/L ( Reference Range – 1.9- 3.1 )
TIBC - 57 umol/L ( Reference Range - 45 - 72 )
Saturation - 44% ( Reference Range - 20 - 55 )
Ferritin - 367 ug/L ( Reference Range - 30 - 300 )

OP
I

Iron Man

With the thyroid supplementation, is using the T4 from Idealabs ok?

OP
I

Iron Man

With monitoring hair... I think it is good to take pictures of your scalp over certain periods and then compare. I have some dating back to 2011 and when I compare it kind of looks like I have had an improvement, or at the very least no major advances in hair loss.
One thing I did read the other day was something on men who have thinning on the vertex (me), have an increased chance of heart issues later in life. This made me wonder...

OP
I

Iron Man

With the thyroid supplementation, is using the T4 from Idealabs ok?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals