For Those Who "crave" Starch, Are You Sure It's Not The Fiber Or The Salt?

Amazigh

salt as in added salt isn't needed in the human diet.

There are exceptions, such as in hypothyroidism which causes you to excrete too much sodium.

Anecdotally, I can tell you that as a 4 year old, my parents would often find me hiding under the dinner table with the salt shaker, licking salt off my hand. That's not normal.

Otterbutt

There are exceptions, such as in hypothyroidism which causes you to excrete too much sodium.

Anecdotally, I can tell you that as a 4 year old, my parents would often find me hiding under the dinner table with the salt shaker, licking salt off my hand. That's not normal.

That's been me too. Without salt, I literally might die. I've been to the ER three times 3 times in the past ten years due to low sodium (fainting/seizing). Sodium eliminates my migraines. I mean, there's clearly something wrong with my body's ability to retain salt/balance electrolytes, coupled with the fact that I am an extreme sweater - I'll get crusty with salt. Has happened since childhood. Maybe hypo since childhood? Stress? Aaack!!
But also people in ketosis. They need intense amounts of salt. If our ancestors or whatever were indeed in ketosis sometimes, how were they getting their 5g a day?? Maybe animal blood?

Regarding the original post (sorry!) I think you're onto something with the salt...fiber I dunno. I was craving starch badly the first week of coming off low-carb into peat-realm. I let myself have rice and potato. Since, I haven't craved ANYthing except salt as long as I have been consistent with fruit at each meal. I was hardcore bingeing right before peat, too (low carb stretch, binge on crap, repeat). No binges since.

Memento

Can potassium or other minerals replace salt? I used to crave tons of salt but I don't think I've had any for a while.

Jsaute21

My thought - eat both, just make sure starch is well cooked. Avoid pufa, eat calcium.

Amazigh

As for starch, Ive never craved it other than as an excuse to eat salt (eg pretzels) or as a vehicle to slap a slab of butter on.

Jsaute21

This is purely observational about both myself and high level athletes - but i do think good starch is beneficial for muscle gains and athletic performance. There isn't a high level sprinter, nfl receiver, soccer striker, nba shooting guard etc. that doesn't eat starch. Now I'm not saying these athletes practice the best nutritional habits - but i do think good starch such as well cooked potatoes without skin have very favorable hormonal effects IMO.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals