hayfever advice

OP
SQu

SQu

Haagendazendiane and Swandattur thanks for food for thought .I've shied away from thyroid for years as so many people seem to struggle with it. But after 2.5 years of doing everything I can to restore my thyroid I have to admit that it's still not working well. everything else I do, while helpful , is not addressing the root of the problem. I've written down pages of notes from this forum and ray peat's brain and will comb through for more. 3 years ago thyroid tests showed borderline low t3 and mid range t4. I forget the tsh but think it was over 2. Clearly my liver struggles so conversion may be an issue ,so my plan for now is to start with tiny quantities of cynoplus and nibbles of cynomel, keep records of pulse and temp and all the other symptoms people report, change doses only after about 3 weeks and keep reading. in the meantime before I start, I'm having main meal at lunchtime, snacks every two hours, and more sugar, salt ,ice cream to counter increased stress and avoid those energy crashes which I'm prone to in the afternoons. Yesterday that approach helped me handle a tough day, I did feel the stress but recovered quicker and did not get that hollow tiredness as usual, and hopefully did not spike too much cortisol.

OP
SQu

SQu

Reread it - thanks for link! Noted the following : importance of glycogen for t4- t3 conversion ; therefore the importance of keeping up regular snacking ( hourly) especially in afternoon when I get busy and am on the road. Also t3 in small quantities, often, worth considering. In the meantime I've made chicken neck soup, having it with a lot of salt as late afternoon snack or small evening meal and so far it's helping a lot with that hollow empty worn out feeling, and also with the feeling
that ' nothing works ' which happens when I'm at such a low energy ebb that I feel like a cartoon character that's been rolled flat by a steamroller! (Regular occurrence due to not eating enough lunch or keeping up with afternoon snacks. ) thanks and have a great weekend!

Swandattur

The late afternoon worn out feeling and the nothing works feeling is familiar. Rereading that interview helped me, too. Some things sank in better and I realized some things I have been missing on. When I was having hay fever symptoms on dairy and gelatin, it was hard without those foods to eat often enough. Recently, I seem to have gotten over that.

Swandattur

Yeah, it's very nice! It just seemed to happen, although it might have something to do with a medication that was added to my other antidepressant. Don't know why it would help that, except less stress, maybe? Both medications I'm on are pretty much dopamine reuptake inhibitors. Supposed to be.

OP
SQu

SQu

How wonderful to be on the right kind of ' reuptake inhibitor' ;) a real feat on its own to have found the right doc / approach. definitely when something starts to work other things seem to go along with it, and vice versa. Which I suppose is why you can feel like you're making good progress , then wonder how it all fell apart again so fast, and were the improvements ephemeral / imaginary? Kind of where I am right now - still not great though not nearly as bad as when I first posted this. Bit irritable, sleeping badly, and getting that weird thing I get when tired and stressed of not being being able to get the words that are in my brain, out. Which I now think is to do with low energy / co2 in the brain. I'm doing a bit of bag breathing but after a few seconds I get the air hunger verging on panicky.

Swandattur

I don't like that air hunger feeling either. The bag breathing doesn't seem to give me that, though. I get that when I try the controlled breathing. I just can't tolerate that air hunger feeling. It seems better to just calm the breathing down in a relaxed way that is comfortable.

It seems like I've always had the problem with recalling the right word. My Dad told me recently that he never used to have it. Now in his late 80's he gets it some. It is an interesting idea that it's just an energy and co2 problem. Makes sense.

I seem to have very low energy lately, but it has been cold a lot with big temperature fluctuations. My sleep has mostly been better since I started using an electric blanket. The electric part may not be so good, but the warmth must help. Or maybe it's just happenstance. I hate the irritability. That, too, has to be from low energy and fatigue. I think about how grumpy and out of sorts kids get when tired out. Guess adults are the same. :)

Kray

aquaman said:
sueq said:
A day's diet includes often 2 litres of fat free milk, alitre of orange juice, sugar, coffee before 12am, 3 eggs, a smear of butter, a teaspoon or two of coconut oil, fruit, gelatin, a bit of meat or chicken at night at a family meal, a bit of rice or potato with it - a few spoons - a little veg but I'm not mad about it. also the daily carrot, which I'm now having in the form of that salad with coconut oil, a bit of vinegar and salt. There's nothing new here, just more of the same. I take too many supps but feel worse without them so I keep on them - vits c,e,b complex, niacinamide, mag glycinate, zinc with selenium and vit a, ubiquinol, bit of k2 (but so expensive here!!!), adaptogens, p5p and vitex. nothing new there either. aspirin before bed (2) and the DPH. NDT made me more hypothyroid not less so I stopped that, haven't taken progesterone since I learned the creams are not so good but it did help before that.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I'd try dropping the eggs, they give me bad allergies. Didn't realise it was them for the longest time until recently.

Add shellfish and white fish, your diet seems too heavily liquid-based.

Aquaman-- What are your egg allergy symptoms? Does it matter the source of the egg, whether commercial or pastured? Reading from other posts here, it appears the problems are in the whites? I usually just eat the yolk, so hope eggs aren't a problem for me. Thanks!

Kray

Poppyseed13 said:
Hello.

One of the many things I use for hayfever is a nettle infusion (a la Susun Weed). I drink it cold and the effect lasts for about 4-6 hours with no sleepiness.

I put one cup of dry nettles in a pint jar and pour boiling water over it, snap the lid closed and let it sit over night. In the morning, I strain out the nettles and put the nettle "juice" into the fridge. After it has cooled, I drink it straight--some people like a bit of salt in it. I find it very refreshing.

Nettles are anti-estrogenic.

Cheers,
Poppyseed13

Thanks for that advice on nettles!